My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
Apr 28, 2013

I have LBA for the DFA 43. Talk me out of it or into it!

I already own DA15 ltd DA 21 ltd DA 35 macro ltd (needs repair) estimated repair cost $250 usd,  M 28 3.5, KA 50 1.4, the K 55 1.8, DA 70  ltd DFA 100 WR.

The crux of  the matter is that because the DA 35 macro just seized up I can choose to  spend money on getting it repaired right now or get the 43mm limited either used or bought directly at the B+H store in NYC in a coming visit to the city.. I really like and want a AF lens in the 35mm 43mm range and because of all the accounts about 43mm being soo useful for portraits has got me interested.. Ii know there is the DA*55 1.4 or the new 50 1.8, but in a way I'm more attracted to the FOV of 43mm or less. I already have the 70mm for close in shots.. The strengths of the 43mm are well known, on the otherhand if it was the choice between getting the DA 35 macro fixed or the DA 40 ltd I'd just get the macro fixed because somehow the DA 40 ltd it doesn't have the same glowing reputation of the 43mm ltd, I like the idea of the FA 43 especielly for candid street work. I think for landscape stopped down it matches anything available. And for  "found art" object photography the gentle transistions from sharp to OOF areas could be very effective.. I think the 43mm ltd would be very useful as the great working distance is a great help in many situations. For working closer in I can always use the DA 21mm..

Anyone else considering the FA 43mm ltd or who has it and still uses it and like's it ? You can help me get over this passing LBA delirium. Actually Ii haven't regretted any of my Pentax gear purchases since I started on my present setup back in 2008...

Regards Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,349Gear list
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 28, 2013

Hi,

The 35Ltd and 43mm Ltd are very different lenses.  You seem like you've written off the idea of getting your 35mm fixed but it may be repairable for a very much cheaper price than any new lens.  If you enjoyed it, why not at east get a quote ?

I passed on the 43mm Ltd.  Some love it, some don't.  The 43mm Ltd has outstanding centre sharpness but is certainly not as sharp in the corners as the 40mm Ltd at any aperture according to the Photozone test report.  That may not be critical to you for street usage, but it was to me for landscape photography.  I bought the 40mm but have in fact wound up not using the FL all that much.  I've got the 31mm Ltd, the FA 50/1.4 & FA 50/2.8 and a 70mm Ltd and the 40mm just sort of doesn't get used in between.  I'm probably going to sell it.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,204Gear list
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 28, 2013

I have all three of the 35 macro, the 40 and the 43. The 43 gets used the least. Yes, it has lovely smooth bokeh, but it lacks contrast wide open (it could use more modern coatings, I suppose), and is not as sharp across the frame as the 40 (although it is excellent in the centre). I also prefer the colours I get from the 40 (again, that might be a coating factor).

I suppose I am a 'digital lens for digital bodies' shooter. I have never caught sight - in my own photos or those of anyone else - of the magic 'pixie dust' which people proclaim is the province of the FA Limiteds.

But everything I have just said above is of course entirely subjective. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

 sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,401Gear list
Like?
43 Ltd is a keeper for me...
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

I am not an edge to edge sharpness fanatic.  The 43 Ltd produces great images and the bokeh is very, very pleasing.  I own the 31, 77 and 43 Ltd lenses as well as the 35mm macro.  I feel they all have a place in my bag.. and that said even though I have the DA* 16-50 and the DA *50-135.

Primes are very useful even though the zooms can cover their ranges.. the zooms are not as fast and while very good there is a time and place for primes such as the 43 Ltd.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

 Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pentax_Prime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
The only people who don't like the FA Limited lenses ...
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

... don't own the FA Limited series.  Certain folks are ... should we say upset (jealous/envious/angry/uber-haters) when the FA Limited lenses are mentioned.  They'll do anything to try to convince you they aren't worth buying.  The reality is the FA43 is one of the best prime lenses made for any system - fast, small, and extremely high IQ.

www.photobucket.com/PentaxFA43

-- hide signature --

*My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used*
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

 Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
Re: 40 Ltd is a keeper for me...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Apr 29, 2013

The only thing I know about the FA43 is that I cannot afford one but the DA40 can be had for under $250 for patient buyers.  And it's plenty good enough for me; the 40/70 combo is exquisite.

DA40, granite and larch (f/3.2)

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

 jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-S1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,401Gear list
Like?
Plus....
In reply to Pentax_Prime, Apr 29, 2013

Pentax_Prime wrote:

... don't own the FA Limited series.  Certain folks are ... should we say upset (jealous/envious/angry/uber-haters) when the FA Limited lenses are mentioned.  They'll do anything to try to convince you they aren't worth buying.  The reality is the FA43 is one of the best prime lenses made for any system - fast, small, and extremely high IQ.

www.photobucket.com/PentaxFA43

-- hide signature --

*My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used*
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

One day, when the full frame Pentax arrives, those who have the FA lenses will be ahead of the game... and the bokeh will be even better.

  1. FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
  2. FA 35mm f2.0
  3. FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
  4. DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
  5. FA 50mm f1.4
  6. DA 50mm f1.8 (caveat: described as FF by retailers and seems to perform as FF lens. Unknown if Pentax told retailers it was FF.)
  7. FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
  8. DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
  9. DA* 300mm f4
-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

 Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Plus....
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Apr 29, 2013

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Pentax_Prime wrote:

Certain folks are ... should we say upset (jealous/envious/angry/uber-haters) when the FA Limited lenses are mentioned.  They'll do anything to try to convince you they aren't worth buying.  The reality is the FA43 is one of the best prime lenses made for any system - fast, small, and extremely high IQ.

One day, when the full frame Pentax arrives, those who have the FA lenses will be ahead of the game... and the bokeh will be even better.

  1. FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
  2. FA 35mm f2.0
  3. FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
  4. DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
  5. FA 50mm f1.4
  6. DA 50mm f1.8 (caveat: described as FF by retailers and seems to perform as FF lens. Unknown if Pentax told retailers it was FF.)
  7. FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
  8. DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
  9. DA* 300mm f4

My ff-friendly kit may never fit on a full-frame body for me, but I don't doubt that others might covet my Sigma 15 fisheye or Tamron 17-35.  And rumor has it that my DA40 and 70 could manage on a 24×36 sensor also, though they suffer when used wide open.

I certainly won't speak ill of the FAs, only that my budget cannot reach that far right now.  The sub-$200 Tamron has saved me a lot of LBA and budget headaches!

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

 jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-S1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

Brentliris wrote:

I have LBA for the DFA 43. Talk me out of it or into it!

It's my favourite lens on the APS-C format.

YMMV.

Hope this helps

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,514
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

It seems as though you are doing a pretty good job of talking yourself into the FA43.  FWIW, it's my favorite of the three FA Limiteds, but they are all excellent.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

For handling and convenience, the 43 is my favorite lens: small, fast and has quick AF. Great as a walk-around lens. Mostly though, I think it's an excellent lens for shots of people, great for cramped indoor portraits.

You'll miss close focusing of the 35mm limited, and the slightly wider FOV, though. There's no reason why you can't fix up the 35 limited when you get some extra cash, and buy the 43 now if you can afford it.

I have a 28mm, 35mm and 43 mm for various "normalish" uses and love each of them. I have no plan to sell any of them.

 citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ian J G
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to citrontokyo, Apr 29, 2013

I love my 43mm. I likwe the FL, for my shooting the 50mm is a bit narrow at times. The pic quality is very nice, and it's a joy to handle.

Now that's for MY shooting usages (maybe it's not the best for landscapes, I don't know as I've never used it like that); I just don't know how it syncs with how and what YOU shoot.

Good luck

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
essH
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to citrontokyo, Apr 29, 2013

citrontokyo wrote:

For handling and convenience, the 43 is my favorite lens: small, fast and has quick AF. Great as a walk-around lens. Mostly though, I think it's an excellent lens for shots of people, great for cramped indoor portraits.

Seconded!

I have no experience of the 35 or the 40, but I do use the 21 for wider shots. The 43 has something special about it.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,967Gear list
Like?
I own both the 35ltd & 43ltd
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

While they are seriously different lenses, neither really substitutes for the other. In my case you will have to pry them out of my dead cold fingers to get them away from me. Been showing both for almost a decade now and never fail to be impressed by either lens.

You'll likely see the rests from the 35ltd, like most other DA Limiteds tends toward a more pedantic or clinical result. Thus is not bad at all as they offer superbly crisp images, well save for that puzzling 14mm...then the FA generally are more challenging to use as they can sometimes be a bit less forgiving, in exchange they consistently produce more sublime images than you'd think possible. It's the pixie dust in those FA Limited that gives them their magic...plus you can get them in cool silver...

My favorite creative lens happens to be the 43ltd followed by my 77ltd. But my money maker is the 35ltd as I do product shooting to pay a few bills over the year. While the 43ltd is no macro it's MFD (minimum focusing distance) is reasonably close and with its resolving power there's ample room to crop if needed. The bike of the 43ltd can be odd and never compares to the 77ltd and it's not even close. The 35td has amazing bokeh AT MACRO DISTANCE, after that is also can look bit nervous now and then. None of these should considered show stoppers. I call my 35ltd The Fourth Amigo to complement the three amigos (31ltd, 43ltd & 77ltd) so I'm spoiled.

We're I you I would surely get that 35ltd repaired but might buy the 43ltd first as your 35ltd could be in the shop for more then a while. But by no means would I not get it fixed ASAP.

Enjoy your dilemma as it's one of the delightful issues that comes with shooting Pentax...this is a case where the only bad choice is to not repair the 35ltd.

Oh, do try and find a Main Japan copy of the 43ltd. I read of more, though still somewhat rare, issues or frustrations from MIV copies of the FA Limiteds...mind this a totally subjective opinion. In fact it could easily just be user frustrations but why not grab an original if you can.

I'm sure you know there are oodles of samples from both over on Flickr...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,967Gear list
Like?
of that there is zero doubt...
In reply to Pentax_Prime, Apr 29, 2013

... don't own the FA Limited series.  Certain folks are ... should we say upset (jealous/envious/angry/uber-haters) when the FA Limited lenses are mentioned.  They'll do anything to try to convince you they aren't worth buying.  The reality is the FA43 is one of the best prime lenses made for any system - fast, small, and extremely high IQ.

www.photobucket.com/PentaxFA43

-- hide signature --

*My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used*
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

It's much like Voightlander glass, buy it when you can and you'll never regret it...my only regret is not buying all the Voights when I bought back into Pentax after being Canon dslr guy for a few years. I grabbed my amigos though. But back then the Voights save for that great 125/2.5 macro monster were dead inexpensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

Hello Brentliris

For sure the FA 43 is a very sharp lens, but when you use a lens with higher ISO's, you must made a compromise, the NR  takes it's sharpness.

So when you use this FA 43 @ 3200 and add a critical hand held shutter speed to it (1/13sec.)  and you use  also a thin DOF (f 3.2) , only to get the shot, and even miss focus the shot a little ( ) ...what does remain from the IQ of a FA 43mm ..... ????  .... it's very nice way to capture colours and contrast :

My example: K5 with FA 43mm @ f3.2 / 1/13sec / ISO 3200 / miss focus (front focused) !

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to kikivrany, Apr 29, 2013

kikivrany wrote:

Hello Brentliris

For sure the FA 43 is a very sharp lens, but when you use a lens with higher ISO's, you must made a compromise, the NR  takes it's sharpness.

So when you use this FA 43 @ 3200 and add a critical hand held shutter speed to it (1/13sec.)  and you use  also a thin DOF (f 3.2) , only to get the shot, and even miss focus the shot a little ( ) ...what does remain from the IQ of a FA 43mm ..... ????  .... it's very nice way to capture colours and contrast :

My example: K5 with FA 43mm @ f3.2 / 1/13sec / ISO 3200 / miss focus (front focused) !

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Are you really blaming the lens for your failure to get the simple technical requirements of photography right?

Do you think your picture would have been better with a kit zoom lens, for example?

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leekil
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: My next lens the DA 43 ltd ?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 29, 2013

I have the FA 43, but mostly only use it when I want to carry a particularly small lens and have a need for the 1.9 aperture.  I find the focal length a little tight for what someone referred to as "cramped indoor portraits" (though there may be disagreement on what that means) and the bokeh seems somewhat nervous to me.  For digital, I prefer something more like a 31 or 35mm, though I have used the 43mm extensively on a film Pentax due to the small size and the field of view the focal length affords for the full frame.

Lee

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782
Like?
Ups...maybe I wrote mistakable
In reply to Wheatfield, Apr 29, 2013

Hello  Wheatfield

Wheatfield wrote:

kikivrany wrote:

Hello Brentliris

For sure the FA 43 is a very sharp lens, but when you use a lens with higher ISO's, you must made a compromise, the NR  takes it's sharpness.

So when you use this FA 43 @ 3200 and add a critical hand held shutter speed to it (1/13sec.)  and you use  also a thin DOF (f 3.2) , only to get the shot, and even miss focus the shot a little ( ) ...what does remain from the IQ of a FA 43mm ..... ????  .... it's very nice way to capture colours and contrast :

My example: K5 with FA 43mm @ f3.2 / 1/13sec / ISO 3200 / miss focus (front focused) !

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Are you really blaming the lens for your failure to get the simple technical requirements of photography right?

Do you think your picture would have been better with a kit zoom lens, for example?

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

No, I don't try to blame the lens, but maybe I wrote mistakable.

I love my FA 43mm.

We discuses so often the sharpness of a lens, but hands down, do we really use the lens then always at it's best sharpness ?

To my post:   I use my FA 43 often with high ISO's, and then I don't use it's very good sharpness, because the NR do reduce it. But all what I try to say was: the FA 43 is more than only a sharp lens, and when you can't give the lens the settings for to show this sharpness (like I must did in this very dark church) it still remains it's wonderful way to capture the colours and contrast. And that I did try to show in this picture.

BTW:  I really like the picture, and when you click on the picture and watch it in the 100% view, then it does looks much better than the embedded picture. Ok, it's a little front focused.

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: Ups...maybe I wrote mistakable
In reply to kikivrany, Apr 29, 2013

kikivrany wrote:

Hello  Wheatfield

Wheatfield wrote:

kikivrany wrote:

Hello Brentliris

For sure the FA 43 is a very sharp lens, but when you use a lens with higher ISO's, you must made a compromise, the NR  takes it's sharpness.

So when you use this FA 43 @ 3200 and add a critical hand held shutter speed to it (1/13sec.)  and you use  also a thin DOF (f 3.2) , only to get the shot, and even miss focus the shot a little ( ) ...what does remain from the IQ of a FA 43mm ..... ????  .... it's very nice way to capture colours and contrast :

My example: K5 with FA 43mm @ f3.2 / 1/13sec / ISO 3200 / miss focus (front focused) !

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Are you really blaming the lens for your failure to get the simple technical requirements of photography right?

Do you think your picture would have been better with a kit zoom lens, for example?

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

No, I don't try to blame the lens, but maybe I wrote mistakable.

I love my FA 43mm.

We discuses so often the sharpness of a lens, but hands down, do we really use the lens then always at it's best sharpness ?

Probably not, but my experience has been that most lenses that are stellar at theri best aperture are generally pretty darned good at their worst aperture, and lenses that are mediocre at their best aperture are pretty bad at their worst aperture.

To my post:   I use my FA 43 often with high ISO's, and then I don't use it's very good sharpness, because the NR do reduce it. But all what I try to say was: the FA 43 is more than only a sharp lens, and when you can't give the lens the settings for to show this sharpness (like I must did in this very dark church) it still remains it's wonderful way to capture the colours and contrast. And that I did try to show in this picture.

Consider that if you didn't have a 43 (or any lens that is really good at it's best), you wouldn't have access to it's qualities when you can use it optimally, and a lesser lens wouldn't be as good in any shooting condition.

BTW:  I really like the picture, and when you click on the picture and watch it in the 100% view, then it does looks much better than the embedded picture. Ok, it's a little front focused.

It is a very nice shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads