Intervalometer BS from Canon- may switch to a value added brand!!!

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
summitphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Intervalometer BS from Canon- may switch to a value added brand!!!
Apr 28, 2013

So...we have a hummingbird nest on our back porch with 2 eggs and a faithful mom, we are trying our best to not disturb her, I've been able to setup my tripod in a way she tolerates, but my 5D, 10D, and LX5 all lack a built in intervalometer.  I dug through an old drawer and found our Powershot S40, charged up the batt, and checked the menu, it has a built-in intervalometer which allows for 1-100 shots from 1 min to 60min apart.  wtf Canon, why does my 11 year old digicam have this feature and my $7K worth of later bodys do not?  There's no excuse for this, there's no reason to force people to buy the f#*king electronic shtter release, especially now that Nikon, Pany, and Sony have the intervalometer built in like the ole S40.

I'd like to post some 5D 100 2.8 Macro photos of the little nest, but instead I'll post some S40 intervalometer pics.

To be fair I'm going to post something similar in the Pany forum because my LX5 lacks this feature also, wheras the LX7 includes it- also BS.

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing more reasonably supported.  Behind on sensor tech, behind on priceing models, that may be new, but screwing your customers out of basic features not so new.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shane Pope
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Intervalometer BS from Canon- may switch to a value added brand!!!
In reply to summitphotographer, Apr 28, 2013

All companies have items called Accessories

Canon TC-80N3 intervalometer remote timer for 7D, 5D, 50D,40D,30D,20D,10D,D60

-- hide signature --
 Shane Pope's gear list:Shane Pope's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
summitphotographer
Like?
You miss the point entirely
In reply to Shane Pope, Apr 28, 2013

Forcing people to purchase an "accessory" which in the case of the TC-80N3 is standard on the S40 and all of the Nikons is not good business in principle, that is if the business is customer centric.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Ubiquity99
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Shane Pope, Apr 28, 2013

Shane Pope wrote:

You forget that there is literally no reason to require a $125 intervalometer accessory when it could be added in firmware for free. Well, no reason that doesn't involve trying to milk your customers out of $125.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
Excellent
In reply to summitphotographer, Apr 28, 2013

summitphotographer wrote:

Forcing people to purchase an "accessory" which in the case of the TC-80N3 is standard on the S40 and all of the Nikons is not good business in principle, that is if the business is customer centric.

An excellent business principle...how do you think Microsoft and Apple make so much money

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

summitphotographer
Like?
Re: Excellent
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 28, 2013

You can find non-customer centric businesses in every industry, this post is more about pointing out Canon's disinterest in placing basic standards that benefit their consumer in their products...when others (namely Nikon) are doing this at no extra charge.  I don't see the comparision between Apple/Microsoft to canon in the case of the missing intervalometer.  Canon needs to quit half-assing their product releases.

An excellent business principle...how do you think Microsoft and Apple make so much money

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent
In reply to summitphotographer, Apr 29, 2013

You can find non-customer centric businesses in every industry, this post is more about pointing out Canon's disinterest in placing basic standards that benefit their consumer in their products...when others (namely Nikon) are doing this at no extra charge.  I don't see the comparision between Apple/Microsoft to canon in the case of the missing intervalometer.  Canon needs to quit half-assing their product releases.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Just buy a Pentax or Nikon.  Problem solved.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
All do same

You can find non-customer centric businesses in every industry, this post is more about pointing out Canon's disinterest in placing basic standards that benefit their consumer in their products...when others (namely Nikon) are doing this at no extra charge.

All do same. Nikon may give you an interferometer to pull a few Canon customers over but then disable commander mode from some models to move a few up.

I don't see the comparision between Apple/Microsoft to canon in the case of the missing intervalometer.  Canon needs to quit half-assing their product releases.

Microsoft leaves things out as does Apple to make a bit in the accessory market...so does Canon, so does Nikon. Folks seem to think the camera companies are run by photographers...they are nor

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,018Gear list
Like?

Canon OEM item is very expensive.  so just buy a third party one that is way cheaper.  I bought a regular shutter release cable just a few dollars years ago for 5Dc and I am still using it on other 5D and 1D3 cameras without any issues.  Bought another similar third party one for 60D that is also trouble free.  However I did buy Canon wireless RC6 remote release that is under $30 and share with several cameras.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
rstone
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 29, 2013

Every company preaches they are "Focused on the Customer "

Every company preaches they are "Focused on Safety"

Every company preaches they are "Focused on Quality"

Every company preaches they are "Focused on Employee Satisfaction"

Every company preaches they are "Focused on Yada, Yada, Yada"

Of course we all know what they are really focused on and that is making money.

They are all the same. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Walmart, GM, etc.. All of the top focuses take a back seat to the last focus.. That's the way it has always been and that's the way it'll always be..

jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
It's business
In reply to Ubiquity99, Apr 29, 2013

Ubiquity99 wrote:

Shane Pope wrote:

You forget that there is literally no reason to require a $125 intervalometer accessory when it could be added in firmware for free. Well, no reason that doesn't involve trying to milk your customers out of $125.

There's a reason companies sell low and try to milk you on accessories, and that reason is that it works.  They think they'll make more selling things as an add on then they'll lose in customers and sales excluding those features in the original.  It sucks as a customer, but I can guarantee that when I find a cool new feature I didn't know about I don't send them a check, so at least its fair.

Thankfully third party solutions work with the Canons.  Some companies make it pretty much impossible to use third party accessories.

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,582Gear list
Like?
Threats don't work

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing [sic] more reasonably supported.

Yes, I'm sure Canon is now rushing to develop a solution. Good luck with whatever you buy. John James Audobon didn't even need a camera.

Julius T Santos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
Re: Threats don't work
In reply to DotCom Editor, Apr 29, 2013

I use one made by Phottix on my 5D III and it works perfect....you don't need to buy one made by Canon.

-- hide signature --

www.juliussantos.com

Julius T Santos's gear list:Julius T Santos's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X
Quirino2k
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
In reply to Julius T Santos, Apr 29, 2013

if you don't want to spend anything and brave why not give Magic lantern a go.

It got all you would need.

Quirino2k's gear list:Quirino2k's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
summitphotographer
Like?
In reply to Quirino2k, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out, if Canon is too cheap/lazy, looks like others will do the job.

Quirino2k wrote:

if you don't want to spend anything and brave why not give Magic lantern a go.

It got all you would need.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

summitphotographer
Like?
In reply to DotCom Editor, Apr 29, 2013

Thats the problem these days, no group performs and effective boycott.  I may just sleep better purchasing from companies that currently operate in a customer-centric fashion, even just for principle.  Right now, Canon sucks, and it would appear they could suck less by improving the completeness of their software/firmware.

DotCom Editor wrote:

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing [sic] more reasonably supported.

Yes, I'm sure Canon is now rushing to develop a solution. Good luck with whatever you buy. John James Audobon didn't even need a camera.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

summitphotographer
Like?
S40 intervaltimer and a Humming Bird

Wish it was from the 5D

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

pete zeugma
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
seriously.. you have $7000+ of camera gear and cant afford to buy one!

please... ditch all your canon gear

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,276Gear list
Like?

So...we have a hummingbird nest on our back porch with 2 eggs and a faithful mom, we are trying our best to not disturb her, I've been able to setup my tripod in a way she tolerates, but my 5D, 10D, and LX5 all lack a built in intervalometer.  I dug through an old drawer and found our Powershot S40, charged up the batt, and checked the menu, it has a built-in intervalometer which allows for 1-100 shots from 1 min to 60min apart.  wtf Canon, why does my 11 year old digicam have this feature and my $7K worth of later bodys do not?  There's no excuse for this, there's no reason to force people to buy the f#*king electronic shtter release, especially now that Nikon, Pany, and Sony have the intervalometer built in like the ole S40.

I'd like to post some 5D 100 2.8 Macro photos of the little nest, but instead I'll post some S40 intervalometer pics.

To be fair I'm going to post something similar in the Pany forum because my LX5 lacks this feature also, wheras the LX7 includes it- also BS.

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing more reasonably supported.  Behind on sensor tech, behind on priceing models, that may be new, but screwing your customers out of basic features not so new.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

The Canon 6D has a quiet shutter, lets you shoot remote via smartphone or tablet and wi-fi.  Is not behind on pricing because at this moment I see the body being priced below $1400 effective cost on certain deals (that are easily searchable).  Canon firmware also is the most advanced in terms of MFA with MFA adjustment at wide and tele of zooms.  Its the most well-written and extendable via efforts through Magic Lantern (i.e. Canon has better software engineering here vs throwing together some new spaghetti code *per* model, etc).

Pricing on Canon was good enough for me to buy the 5DMKII for cheap, sell it at no loss, and buy the 6D for even cheaper which I'll get tomorrow.

Thus the fact that I can get a cheap FF camera for $1300-1400 (if you search enough), or $1500-1600 if you don't search, or $1700+ if you are just too plain lazy to even bargain shop, with GPS and wi-fi with firmware that is already going at a steady pace with developers dedicated to it with ML codebase, gives it a rather strong base to do more than fire off blind shots at a given interval.  I'd say being able to *see* what you are shooting and control focus remotely, etc with a quiet shutter to boot is overall even *better* for your intended purposes.  And I get low-light capability at the level of the 1DX.

So why so much complaining?

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,603
Like?

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Unbelievable!  Presumably you knew the specifications of these cameras when you bought them?  And yet you now blame Canon and Panasonic for screwing their customers.  And quote: "If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D ....."  sounds like a four year old having a tantrum. Have a re-read of your own post and see, sadly, how you come across.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads