D7100 vs GH3

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
Thorsten Steigerwald
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
D7100 vs GH3
Apr 28, 2013

Hi,

I already posted this in the MFT forum, but I think I can address more people in this forum.

I currently own a Nex-7 and an OM-D. I tried the OM-D, but I don't like the buttons and it is a little too small for me. So I like the classic DSLR design better. This and the fact that I'm not satisfied with the pictures of the Nex made me look for a new camera. I recently took pictures of a birthdayparty with the Nex7. My pictures are better than the ones other people took, but I don't really like them. Last week I went to a camera store and looked at the GH3 and the Nikon D7100. They both fit good in my hand and I like the design. I also like the fact that they have a integrated flash. I know that a big flash is better, but the integrated is sometimes better than none. The flash from the Nex-7 is too low, so my 18-200 lens is in the picture.

Who has experiences with both cameras or at least with one of them, and can help me decide.

Ps. sorry for my english, I'm not a native english speaker.

thorsten

Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 vs GH3
In reply to Thorsten Steigerwald, Apr 28, 2013

If you're looking for photos alone, the D7100 will blow the GH3 away, no contest.  Larger sensor, higher quality, more pixels, and sharper.  Not to mention a backlog of decades of lenses to use.

If you're thinking about video, then the tables turn.  The GH3 is tops out there in video.  The sharpest image you'll ever see out of a non-professional video camera (not to mention Canon's cinema cameras), with high bitrate hacks to make high ISO noise child's play to remove, and completely eliminate artifacting on high motion video.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 29, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

If you're looking for photos alone, the D7100 will blow the GH3 away, no contest.  Larger sensor, higher quality, more pixels, and sharper.  Not to mention a backlog of decades of lenses to use.

If you're thinking about video, then the tables turn.  The GH3 is tops out there in video.  The sharpest image you'll ever see out of a non-professional video camera (not to mention Canon's cinema cameras), with high bitrate hacks to make high ISO noise child's play to remove, and completely eliminate artifacting on high motion video.

I had the exact same thread few weeks ago. Check it out.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3450730

As for your question, I had similar question and after not being satisfied by the answers here, I purchased the D7100 and after two weeks of "testing", I returned it yesterday. I did many side by side comparison between D7100 (with Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and Nikon 70-300 lenses) and in real world shooting I just did not see enough difference to justify D7100. Granted it can produce great results...but when comparing to the things that I would have to sacrifice (articulating touch screen, EVF, smaller size, smaller lenses, wifi control, amazing video capture ), I just couldn't justify replacing GH3 with D7100. Also, to *me* D7100 just felt old and archaic.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to Thorsten Steigerwald, Apr 29, 2013

The GH3 will be a little smaller.  If it's about the image, by and large the D7100 will blow the doors off the Panasonic/Lumix...

http://camerasize.com/compare/#440,381

Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 vs GH3ju
In reply to BillD7000, Apr 29, 2013

A lot use hyperbole to describe the image differences between one and another modern high quality camera when in reality the differences that that exist are so small as to render render the comparisonn between one and the other other fruitless .. It's more about features . If you see yourself moving ahead in photography instead of being content in having a good  camera and staying there , you will be better served with Nikon . On the archaic part I don't understand you as all cameras feel different when used for me at least a camera is a camera be it a F-100 or a D300 .

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
ajamils1
Like?
In reply to Mannypr, Apr 29, 2013

Mannypr wrote:

A lot use hyperbole to describe the image differences between one and another modern high quality camera when in reality the differences that that exist are so small as to render render the comparisonn between one and the other other fruitless .. It's more about features . If you see yourself moving ahead in photography instead of being content in having a good  camera and staying there , you will be better served with Nikon . On the archaic part I don't understand you as all cameras feel different when used for me at least a camera is a camera be it a F-100 or a D300 .

By archaic I meant that I did not feel that D7100 offered any innovation in terms of design, options or features. It looks very similar to D700, it has 24mpx sensor that is already available in D5200. It has 51 point AF system that is borrowed from another Nikon camera (D4 I believe). The only highlight that that you can (at least on paper) is the removal of low pass filter which does not seem to make any difference either.  That's why when compared to long feature list of GH3, D7100 felt archaic.

Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
In reply to Thorsten Steigerwald, Apr 29, 2013

Thorsten Steigerwald wrote:

Hi,

I already posted this in the MFT forum, but I think I can address more people in this forum.

I currently own a Nex-7 and an OM-D. I tried the OM-D, but I don't like the buttons and it is a little too small for me. So I like the classic DSLR design better. This and the fact that I'm not satisfied with the pictures of the Nex made me look for a new camera. I recently took pictures of a birthdayparty with the Nex7. My pictures are better than the ones other people took, but I don't really like them. Last week I went to a camera store and looked at the GH3 and the Nikon D7100. They both fit good in my hand and I like the design. I also like the fact that they have a integrated flash. I know that a big flash is better, but the integrated is sometimes better than none. The flash from the Nex-7 is too low, so my 18-200 lens is in the picture.

Who has experiences with both cameras or at least with one of them, and can help me decide.

Ps. sorry for my english, I'm not a native english speaker.

thorsten

Hmm, I don't have a D7100 or a GH3 but I do have a D5100 and a GF3 so at least a toe in both ballparks.

Honestly, I don't know that buying a new camera is going to solve the problem if you just don't like the way the photos are turning out.  I would work on learning how to change the camera's settings, composition, and post-processing to try and get the photos coming out of your NEX or OM-D to be more to your liking.  Or at least try and figure out what you don't like so you can find a camera that fits your hands and can give you photos you do like.

Indoors, if your flash is powerful enough bouncing it off the ceiling might work around the lens shadow problem.  I agree though having a pop-up flash is handy.

dougster1979
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Are you sure its the cameras?
In reply to Thorsten Steigerwald, Apr 30, 2013

You have two decent setups in the Nex7 and Omd. How long have you spent with each. Buying a new camera will make you feel good, a bit of shopping therapy, but will it improve your photography. My advice, STAY AWAY FROM THE CAMERA SHOP.

wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: Are you sure its the cameras?
In reply to dougster1979, Apr 30, 2013

yep, it's definitely the time to change the photographer

PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, Apr 30, 2013

ajamils1 wrote:

archaic I meant that I did not feel that D7100 offered any innovation in terms of design, options or features. It looks very similar to D700, it has 24mpx sensor that is already available in D5200. It has 51 point AF system that is borrowed from another Nikon camera (D4 I believe). The only highlight that that you can (at least on paper) is the removal of low pass filter which does not seem to make any difference either.  That's why when compared to long feature list of GH3, D7100 felt archaic.

They only reason why the GF3 looks good is because m4/3 is so new that most technology used is new. Also, the sensor in the GF3 is featuring in other models (or it will soon). Sensor sharing between models is needed to bring down the cost. Yes, the focus system is from the D4. But hey, it is only the best damn focus system in any camera ever made that is full frame or smaller. You go and compare your keeper rate when doing moving subjects on your GF3 versus the Nikon.

And it is in fact not about the features. They're gimmicks. Some use them, others don't, and yet others will use a third-party solution (Nik Color Efex is waaaayyy better than those filters in the camera). What it is about is workflow and keeper rate. And arguably, the GF3 offers nothing that will guarantee a quicker workflow or a higher keeper rate than on the Nikon.

Go ahead and find it archaic. I would argue you're looking at the wrong things. Think of it as tried and tested technology instead

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
ajamils1
Like?
In reply to PepsiCan, May 1, 2013

PepsiCan wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

archaic I meant that I did not feel that D7100 offered any innovation in terms of design, options or features. It looks very similar to D700, it has 24mpx sensor that is already available in D5200. It has 51 point AF system that is borrowed from another Nikon camera (D4 I believe). The only highlight that that you can (at least on paper) is the removal of low pass filter which does not seem to make any difference either.  That's why when compared to long feature list of GH3, D7100 felt archaic.

They only reason why the GF3 looks good is because m4/3 is so new that most technology used is new. Also, the sensor in the GF3 is featuring in other models (or it will soon). Sensor sharing between models is needed to bring down the cost. Yes, the focus system is from the D4. But hey, it is only the best damn focus system in any camera ever made that is full frame or smaller. You go and compare your keeper rate when doing moving subjects on your GF3 versus the Nikon.

And it is in fact not about the features. They're gimmicks. Some use them, others don't, and yet others will use a third-party solution (Nik Color Efex is waaaayyy better than those filters in the camera). What it is about is workflow and keeper rate. And arguably, the GF3 offers nothing that will guarantee a quicker workflow or a higher keeper rate than on the Nikon.

Go ahead and find it archaic. I would argue you're looking at the wrong things. Think of it as tried and tested technology instead

I think you are confusing the model. GF3 and GH3 are two completely different models. One is a  small range finder style while other is the latest flagship from Panasonic.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads