Have RX100 - Tips for Walt Disney World?

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
jcurtistx
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Have RX100 - Tips for Walt Disney World?
Apr 28, 2013

So I am relatively new to the RX100 and bought it to have a much better alternative to my iPhone 5 and a more compact camera than my Sony A57.  That said, I was wondering if anyone had shooting tips for this camera in WDW - specifically with characters indoors?

I would like to get the most out of the camera that I can, however we have 2 and 4 yr old little girls with us so I will not have a lot of time to alter settings when taking a picture.  Do you all have any recommended settings for the most common shooting situations with kids?  I know there is always Auto or Auto+ - but have read they are really not that great of a modes to work with.

Thanks!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Sony 55-300

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
Re: Have RX100 - Tips for Walt Disney World?
In reply to jcurtistx, Apr 28, 2013

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3240859

an old thread of mine with samples...I just shot A mode at f1.8 in the standard profile.  These were before raw support so expect better results if you post process.  For kids I would probably use the flash - if I have to use flash I either crank it up and bounce it, or turn it down and use it direct.  You also might want to try slow sync flash you can get some cool background effects that at way.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?
Re: Have RX100 - Tips for Walt Disney World?
In reply to jcurtistx, Apr 29, 2013

I'm mostly using my RX100 in S mode, at least in low light, with Auto ISO.  In low light, the camera will open up the aperture to avoid setting the ISO higher than necessary, so as long as I pick the shutter speed wisely, I get the combination I'd generally prefer.  That works well when your focus is kids or other moving subjects where you want some control over the degree of motion blur.  You might also want to do some scenics stopped down a bit; then I'd switch over to A mode.  I imagine that by default, the camera will set the shutter speed to 1/EFL and the IS should do the trick ... so long as that shutter speed works for you (at WA settings, you'll get motion blur in the crowds).  I took a NEX with me to Disney last time (and to Universal the following year).  If I were to go back, I'd be more than happy to travel with just the RX100.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads