TIFF problem with Canon scanner & Photoshop - Help please

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
Canaryfan
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
TIFF problem with Canon scanner & Photoshop - Help please
Apr 28, 2013

When I scan & save images with my new Canon 9000F Mark II scanner in JPEG or PDF format they open fine in Photoshop & the colours are as they should be. I am sure that my scanner is working correctly.

If I save as a TIFF & open in PS the images have a strong magenta cast. The same image opened in Windows Image Viewer look fine, with correct colours.

My monitor is fully calibrated & my workflow fully colour managed. I produce my own colour profiles for printing so think I have a fairly good idea what I am doing.

I have tried everything I can think of & can slightly alter the cast but cannot get rid of it.

At the moment I have no real need to save in TIFF format but the issue is nevertheless annoying me!

Does anyone have any ideas that may help me?

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,875
Like?
Re: TIFF problem with Canon scanner & Photoshop - Help please
In reply to Canaryfan, Apr 28, 2013

perhaps the scanner software (which one are you using?) is embedding a non-sRGB color profile in the image and PS is accepting that (check your PS color settings pref panel) w/o asking, verifying or converting.  e Windows Viewer is not-color managed and expects everything in sRGB.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,309
Like?
In reply to Canaryfan, Apr 28, 2013

+1 to what Howard said.

It sounds like a missmatched working space profile. Have you checked the profile assigned to the scans using an Exif viewer?

What is your working space in Photoshop?

Brian A

Canaryfan
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for your assistance chaps. You have pointed me in the right direction.

I was using the Canon Scan Gear software & found that it does not embed a profile. I use ProPhoto RGB in Photoshop & something was going wrong when opening in the ProPhoto colour space.

When I set the Canon driver to embed ProPhoto the TIFF image opened in PS displaying the correct colours.

What I don't understand is that if I embedded SRGB & opened in PS, into ProPhoto colour space, the colours are very noticeably wrong. Yet is I scan in Vuescan, even embedding SRGB at the scanning stage, the colours are displayed correctly when opened in my ProPhoto space.

I assume the problem was caused by the Canon software not embedding a profile (as far as I can see). I will read the instructions again to see if I can work it out in my own mind!

Oh well, at least I know what to do now so I will not loose any sleep over it.

Thanks again for your help.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,309
Like?
In reply to Canaryfan, Apr 30, 2013

Canaryfan wrote:

I don't quite understand your post, but I think what you are doing is this:

I was using the Canon Scan Gear software & found that it does not embed a profile. I use ProPhoto RGB in Photoshop & something was going wrong when opening in the ProPhoto colour space.

When I set the Canon driver to embed ProPhoto the TIFF image opened in PS displaying the correct colours.

Right, so the output is in ProPhotoRGB and has a an embedded ProPhotoRGB profile.

What I don't understand is that if I embedded SRGB & opened in PS, into ProPhoto colour space, the colours are very noticeably wrong.

Here your output is probably in sRBG or AdobeRGB, an you are embedding an incorrect profile, a ProPhotoRGB profile.

Yet is I scan in Vuescan, even embedding SRGB at the scanning stage, the colours are displayed correctly when opened in my ProPhoto space.

Here the output is in sRGB and the embeded profile is sRGB, and Photoshop is converting it to your chosen working space, ProPhotoRGB.

If you turn on profile checking, you will see what profile the image has been tagged with. It doesn't have to be embedded, just tagged correctly.

In Photoshop, from the Edit menu, select Color Settings
In the ColorSettings dialog, under the Color Management Policies section, check the following three boxes:

Profile Mismatches: ask when openning and ask when pasting
Missing Prifiles: ask when openning

Brian A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads