WARNING!!! 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 Read before installing!

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
Adza
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
WARNING!!! 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 Read before installing!
Apr 27, 2013

(For anyone who uses or is considering using 3rd party batteries)

There have been a few reports from users that have updated to firmware 1.2.1 where the new firmware now restricts them from using 3rd party (non genuine) batteries.

Apparently in some cases the camera gives you a warning, and then allows you to continue to use the battery - but it won't report the battery level. (And you can't delete or register the battery in the camera)

Another has reported that their cameras refuse to use the 3rd party batteries at all / allow you to operate the camera.

And some others have been able to successfully use some 3rd party batteries.

Hope this is of some help...

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,147Gear list
Like?
Re: WARNING!!! 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 Read before installing!
In reply to Adza, Apr 27, 2013

Are we talking about the as of yet unreleased firmware that doesn't exist??  How do we know this information?  Is it from the people who have sent their cameras to Canon?  Sometimes they will install a firmware before release when people do that.

Or the "leaked" version?  I still don't understand why anyone would install a "leaked" firmware.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Apr 27, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Are we talking about the as of yet unreleased firmware that doesn't exist??  How do we know this information?  Is it from the people who have sent their cameras to Canon?  Sometimes they will install a firmware before release when people do that.

Or the "leaked" version?  I still don't understand why anyone would install a "leaked" firmware.

It is leaked and I have been reading about this at POTN. I will wait until Canon has it on their site. I waited for months, a few more days won't be a problem for me.

wa2n
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 28, 2013

It does recognize non-canon chipped batteries when the camera is first used with them.  Selecting OK works fine.  The battery level is shown on the top LCD, I don't know about other metrics.

Adza
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 28, 2013

Whether it's from a service, leaked or other - if it's representative of Canon's firmware that will be downloadable on their site in the next few days - the issue may still exist for some.

I figured it's better to give those a few days notice before the official release of a [i]potential[/i] issue than to announce it after the official release, when a number of people will probably have updated directly from Canon's site.

(Just one of the reasons why I personally prefer to wait some considerable time after the official release myself before upgrading to anything. Let any issues be discovered before I take the jump)

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adza, Apr 28, 2013

Well done, you've created a storm in a tea cup.

Adza wrote:

Whether it's from a service, leaked or other - if it's representative of Canon's firmware that will be downloadable on their site in the next few days - the issue may still exist for some.

I figured it's better to give those a few days notice before the official release of a [i]potential[/i] issue than to announce it after the official release, when a number of people will probably have updated directly from Canon's site.

(Just one of the reasons why I personally prefer to wait some considerable time after the official release myself before upgrading to anything. Let any issues be discovered before I take the jump)

Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +6 more
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Well said

Adza wrote:

In my view always a good idea.

I have been waiting for the firmware release because I want the f/8 auto-focus functionality but I decided to wait for a bit after the release before installing it, just in case there are some serious issues. I assume I will see any problems posted on this web site during the first week or two after official release if there are any real issues.

I assume you cannot go back to a previous firmware release. Perhaps that is wrong, but better safe than sorry.

DigiMatt
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 is ok

I have installed 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 and this is not something I would normally do but here were my reasons:

1. It came from Canon and I got it directly from the original person whoose camera had been serviced by Canon.

2. 7 month wait

3. many, many reports of successful installs on the various photo and video forums.

4. I had the MD5 sum of the firmware file to check my copy to insure it wasn't corrupted.

I have a 3rd party battery (Photive brand from Amazon) that still works but now gives me the warning message. Its not that big of a deal because this battery never did act right in my 5D3. Prior to 1.2.1 this battery would often make the battery level indicator blink rapidly and the battery level would erroneously report 100%. After the camera self power off and a restart or taking a picture this battery would act normal most of the time.

So... I don't blame Canon for making the firmware report flakey battery operations. THIS move will probably force 3rd party battery manufacturers to produce better quality and properly reporting batteries.

You want to be mad at Canon and rage for awhile, well go ahead. I'll be enjoying the best camera I have ever owned that is now even better after this firmware update.

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308
Like?
Re: 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 is ok
In reply to DigiMatt, Apr 28, 2013

DigiMatt wrote:

I have installed 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.1 and this is not something I would normally do but here were my reasons:

1. It came from Canon and I got it directly from the original person whoose camera had been serviced by Canon.

2. 7 month wait

3. many, many reports of successful installs on the various photo and video forums.

4. I had the MD5 sum of the firmware file to check my copy to insure it wasn't corrupted.

I have a 3rd party battery (Photive brand from Amazon) that still works but now gives me the warning message. Its not that big of a deal because this battery never did act right in my 5D3. Prior to 1.2.1 this battery would often make the battery level indicator blink rapidly and the battery level would erroneously report 100%. After the camera self power off and a restart or taking a picture this battery would act normal most of the time.

So... I don't blame Canon for making the firmware report flakey battery operations. THIS move will probably force 3rd party battery manufacturers to produce better quality and properly reporting batteries.

You want to be mad at Canon and rage for awhile, well go ahead. I'll be enjoying the best camera I have ever owned that is now even better after this firmware update.

Wel said. And I agree, it is up to the third party manufacturers to make good quality batteries not for Canon to ignore these problems. In the past I have seen third party batteries expand in use damaging the camera. I have also tested a battery a friend got for his camera after he reported trouble with it and I discovered the voltage was 20% above what it should have been. So IMHO Canon are right to give warnings when things are not correct.

At least they are letting users use third party batteries. In other electronics industries things are more complicated. For instance one printer manufacturer regien codes it printers. So for instance, you cannot buy a toner cart from the US for use in a UK machine even if the toner cart was made by the OEM.

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,182Gear list
Like?

DigiMatt wrote:

2. 7 month wait

Buy 3rd party batteries that have enough of the correct electronics built in.  Just get ones known to work with the 6D and you are probably fine.   I already have one branded STK to try for my incoming 6D and got rid of my non reporting ones.  The non reporting ones were always very flaky on battery level information anyways.  Most likely their implementation of battery level was crude at best.  And yes my old 5Dmk2 could easily shut down in mid operations which might not be good vs the Canon brand may reserve or restrict operations based on remaining battery levels.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
MikeFromMesa
Like?
In reply to phill104, Apr 28, 2013

phill104 wrote:

For instance one printer manufacturer regien codes it printers. So for instance, you cannot buy a toner cart from the US for use in a UK machine even if the toner cart was made by the OEM.

What printer manufacturer is that? I would like to know before I replace my current printer.

arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

I'm having this same error with 2 of my 5 batteries and as far as I know they are all legit Canon batteries.  It started after installing the leaked firmware.  These 2 batteries still work fine with my 7D and 5D2.  If I do use them in the 5D3 then they can't be registered and say "unknown battery" type but otherwise seem to work fine.

I'm sure the reports of this problem will increase dramatically on Tuesday as more people install the official release from Canon.

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 28, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

phill104 wrote:

For instance one printer manufacturer regien codes it printers. So for instance, you cannot buy a toner cart from the US for use in a UK machine even if the toner cart was made by the OEM.

What printer manufacturer is that? I would like to know before I replace my current printer.

Lexmark - take a look at their support page here http://support.lexmark.com/index?pmv=print&page=content&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US&id=SO3530

while that mentions one particular model it now applies on most of their laser printers and some of their inkjet range. If you seagood you can find all the affected models via google. It i simpy a matter of getting the chip in the cart correctly coded but to me this is an appalling way to behave.

arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to arbitrage, Apr 28, 2013

So after posting above, I got to thinking that why would only 2 of my 5 batteries give this error?  And why is everyone else only reporting it with non-genuine batteries?  3 of my batteries came with my cameras (7D, 5D2 and 5D3) and 2 I bought back in 2011 when I only had the 7D but I had thought I was buying genuine batteries.  So I went back and found where I bought them from on Amazon and now see that the reviews say they aren't genuine batteries!!  That solves that mystery.  They always had registered fine and I never had any problems and thought they were genuine all this time.  Oh well, those two can live in the 7D and 5D2 that I don't often use.  I'll keep the the 3 genuine in the 5D3 rotation.

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
Adza
Like?

I think you and maybe a few others have misunderstood me, but please don't put words in my mouth. I never said I was mad at cano - and I can't see how any of my posts were a rage.

I'm simply trying to be helpful in by letting people know that if you use 3rd party batteries you could run into an issue with this firmware where your camera is currently working OK at the moment.(There are a number of us that use 3rd party batteries)

For those that this doesn't affect - that's great news. Enjoy the firmware update.

However, if it helps others (such as  arbitrage) understand why after the firmware some batteries don't work - then I figure it's a post worth making.

I know that I personally would want to be made aware of this change in firmware if it affected me.

MikeFromMesa
Like?
One way to find out
In reply to arbitrage, Apr 28, 2013

arbitrage wrote:

So after posting above, I got to thinking that why would only 2 of my 5 batteries give this error?  And why is everyone else only reporting it with non-genuine batteries?  3 of my batteries came with my cameras (7D, 5D2 and 5D3) and 2 I bought back in 2011 when I only had the 7D but I had thought I was buying genuine batteries.  So I went back and found where I bought them from on Amazon and now see that the reviews say they aren't genuine batteries!!  That solves that mystery.  They always had registered fine and I never had any problems and thought they were genuine all this time.  Oh well, those two can live in the 7D and 5D2 that I don't often use.  I'll keep the the 3 genuine in the 5D3 rotation.

I guess this is one way to find out which are the genuine Canon batteries.

I bought a second battery for my 5D3 from Amazon. I think it is a genuine Canon battery. It carries the Canon name and has all of the indications that Canon says to look for (proper hologram on the package, etc), but I guess I will find out for sure when I update my firmware.

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adza, Apr 29, 2013

Personally I will wait for at least two weeks before installing the new firmware as I am not waiting those new features from the firmware desperately and just make sure there are no bugs.  What I really wanted are increasing buffer size and burst rate that are not in this firmware and unlikely will from future firmware updates  Separately it's not worth to buy third party battery.  I bought one third-party LP-E6 for my 60D.  Initially it's very good as good as OEM one. But after one year it's running out much quicker while original one is still as a new and I used them in turn evenly.  I had the same experience in 5Dc third party batteries.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
pete zeugma
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?
serves them right for being cheapscapes
In reply to Adza, Apr 29, 2013

no sympathy at all

XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
Re: serves them right for being cheapscapes
In reply to pete zeugma, Apr 29, 2013

I kind of agree. I've never understood why someone would buy a $3k+ camera, then take a chance on damaging it just to save $50. I had an assistant once fry his body with a cheapo non-canon battery, then wanted to put that same battery in my backup body. Uhh...no.
This goes double for 1series bodies; not worth the $7k risk.
--
If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Apr 29, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

the "leaked" firmware is from Canon Service Center, being installed by Canon Service Technicians for customers.

and your right it "doesn't exist, it will be released tomorrow, so all the software gurus at Canon will be writing it quickly overnight today and make sure they make the deadline.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads