I'm going to ignore all the D600 Complaints and buy one

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
Re: I'm going to ignore all the D600 Complaints and buy one
In reply to jY h, Apr 29, 2013

I think you should buy the D600. I know that you're aware that you might have to return to Nikon to be repaired if the oil issue is too great a problem for you. It was for me, and I got the camera back from Nikon 13 days after it was sent to the LA service center. It has no more oil issues, and I'm a very happy camper.

You're an informed consumer on this issue, so you can purchase the cam with no surprises. Many people have received the D600 and have zero problems with it. That can be you too.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fullofwit
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lucky Sky, Apr 29, 2013

Thank you for answering the question I've been pondering for almost a week: to buy or not to buy the D600.

I love the positiveness of the people who own it and even though they face the reality of the dust and oil issue, they still see the great camera it is.

Remember, people take photos, cameras don't and I've decided I'll buy it and enjoy like the majority of those who have taken the step and are happy about it.

fullofwit's gear list:fullofwit's gear list
Nikon D600
lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
I'm not going to ignore all the D600 complaints and I shan't buy one

I am all set to buy a Canon 6D with two flashguns and two lenses. Yes, an expensive option for a Nikon user but it seems the 6D is the only new FF camera without issues:

D800 - left focus and other AF issues, apparently, for some users

5D - occasional freezes and image corruption, it is claimed (and too expensive)

D600 - say no more

6D - I have seen no issues, having continually scanned the forums

I don't think the D600 offers much over the D7100 except the buffer and it lacks the instant zoom on playback.

lordbeau
Like?
...not
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 29, 2013

Hmm.

Just seen on the Canon forum:

- 6D: corrupted images (and only one card slot)

- 5D Mark III: joystick button coming off not uncommon

Problems like these make blobs on a sensor look trivial. At least you can keep on shooting and deliver some images at the end of the day.

Demokid
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?

Do it! I bought min five weeks ago and I’m super happy.

Best regards

Demokid

BackPacker1532
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

jY h wrote:

I have not posted in a very long time but here goes. I recently sold my Canon 7D and lens. Yes, just 1 lens. I have been wanting to go to full frame for awhile now.  No real "need" to go full frame, just a "Want to" thing.  So the two options that are in My budget (For a New one) are the Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D. I have done a lot of reading on these two and I have jumped back and forth as to which one I should buy several times. I really wanted the D600 as it seemed to be the all around better Camera for My wants/needs. However,  All the "Dirty Sensor" posts on this forum really had me scared away from the Nikon to the point where I almost bought the Canon.  Well, after much consideration, I decided to go with the D600. The thing that swayed me was the Built in flash and dual memory card slots that the Canon does not have.  I used the built in flash quite a bit on my D700 and I just know that I will regret not having a flash at the ready when I need it.  So yesterday I gave Adorama a call and bought the D600 with 24-85 VR and also bought the Nikon 50mm 1.8G to take full advantage of the d600s low light capabilities.  Oh, I forgot to order the sensor cleaning kit...LOL

All I can say is "Don't complain in the future about your oil spots or dust then"

BackPacker1532's gear list:BackPacker1532's gear list
Nikon D3 Leica S2
jY h
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Lucky Sky, Apr 29, 2013

Lucky Sky wrote:

I think you should buy the D600. I know that you're aware that you might have to return to Nikon to be repaired if the oil issue is too great a problem for you. It was for me, and I got the camera back from Nikon 13 days after it was sent to the LA service center. It has no more oil issues, and I'm a very happy camper.

You're an informed consumer on this issue, so you can purchase the cam with no surprises. Many people have received the D600 and have zero problems with it. That can be you too.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Exactly the way I see it. If I get one that has the sensor issue, I'll get it fixed and move on.

jY h
Like?
Re: I'm not going to ignore all the D600 complaints and I shan't buy one
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 29, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

I am all set to buy a Canon 6D with two flashguns and two lenses. Yes, an expensive option for a Nikon user but it seems the 6D is the only new FF camera without issues:

D800 - left focus and other AF issues, apparently, for some users

5D - occasional freezes and image corruption, it is claimed (and too expensive)

D600 - say no more

6D - I have seen no issues, having continually scanned the forums

I don't think the D600 offers much over the D7100 except the buffer and it lacks the instant zoom on playback.

Not quite. You forgot to mention the 6D has no built in flash (Important to Me) and has no dual memory cards (Also Important to Me).  I almost went for the 6D also and I agree with you that I have not seen many if any complaints about it. I'm sure it will be a great camera.

jY h
Like?
In reply to BackPacker1532, Apr 29, 2013

:-)BackPacker1532 wrote:

jY h wrote:

I have not posted in a very long time but here goes. I recently sold my Canon 7D and lens. Yes, just 1 lens. I have been wanting to go to full frame for awhile now.  No real "need" to go full frame, just a "Want to" thing.  So the two options that are in My budget (For a New one) are the Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D. I have done a lot of reading on these two and I have jumped back and forth as to which one I should buy several times. I really wanted the D600 as it seemed to be the all around better Camera for My wants/needs. However,  All the "Dirty Sensor" posts on this forum really had me scared away from the Nikon to the point where I almost bought the Canon.  Well, after much consideration, I decided to go with the D600. The thing that swayed me was the Built in flash and dual memory card slots that the Canon does not have.  I used the built in flash quite a bit on my D700 and I just know that I will regret not having a flash at the ready when I need it.  So yesterday I gave Adorama a call and bought the D600 with 24-85 VR and also bought the Nikon 50mm 1.8G to take full advantage of the d600s low light capabilities.  Oh, I forgot to order the sensor cleaning kit...LOL

All I can say is "Don't complain in the future about your oil spots or dust then"

OK, I'll keep it to myself

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you like your Sigma?
In reply to ne beginner, Apr 29, 2013

ne beginner wrote:

Just ordered one from B&H for use on a D600. Sounds like some folks are having AF issues on the D800 on outer AF points, which may require a trip to Sigma?

Also ordered a Nikon 20-120 f4.

The Sigma is the sharpest lens I have ever tested! I guess I need to post an image or two from Arches Natioal Park. Very impressive lens in all aspects.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,470
Like?
Re: Do It
In reply to Jon_Doh, Apr 29, 2013

Jon_Doh wrote:

And when you get your camera be sure to take some duck pics and post them here 

ROFL!

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
In reply to fullofwit, Apr 29, 2013

fullofwit wrote:

Thank you for answering the question I've been pondering for almost a week: to buy or not to buy the D600.

Glad to help.........it looks like there's no more unknowns with the D600........either use it and love it right out of the box, or use it, fix it, and then love it.

I was a long time user of another brand, and a 13 day turn around for a repair such as a shutter mechanism  replacement as I had for my D600 would have been unthinkable.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,470
Like?
Words of wisdom...?

jY h wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  And I mean that in a sincere and positive way.

No, I'm not ignorant in the matter.  I'm well aware that the D600 has had issues. I just choose to deal with it "IF" I get one that requires more frequent cleaning.

“Ever dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before that got me into it. It was never the dumb thing. It was always some choice I'd made before it.”

Lacey Rawlins, from "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724Gear list
Like?
catch 22.

If you mention dust on your D600 you'll get no empathy..

If you get no dust you will not be believed.

Tough forum unless you have a D800 it seems?

Mind has not been used enough to say one way or other.. 400 clicks..

However im bowled over with the quality..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
lera ion
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: An interesting observation!
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks Leonard!

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 +1 more
lordbeau
Like?
Re: I'm not going to ignore all the D600 complaints and I shan't buy one

Dual cards is sort of important. I wonder if a camera messing up the photos on both cards is more likely than a card going down itself...

jY h
Like?
Re: catch 22.
In reply to Alan Brown, Apr 30, 2013

Alan Brown wrote:

If you mention dust on your D600 you'll get no empathy..

If you get no dust you will not be believed.

Tough forum unless you have a D800 it seems?

Mind has not been used enough to say one way or other.. 400 clicks..

However im bowled over with the quality..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Yeah, I'm used to it coming from the Canon forums. Over there if you owned a 7D that didn't have focus issues, you were not to be believed.  Glad you like the D600.  Mine is on it's way from Adorama.  Should have it Wed-Thur

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
Re: Same here ... Just ordered a refurb from Adorama, with a refurbed 24-120 f4
In reply to ne beginner, Apr 30, 2013

ne beginner wrote:

Decided to sell my D800, Nikon 24-70, and 70-200 VR II, and replacing it with a D600 and 24-120 f4. $2,700, free shipping and no tax.
As a "hobbyest", my interest and need for the D800 was prompted by my daughter's theater and dance. I found that doing the photography for her theater company and performing arts troupe a great way to get involved with her activities in a way that as a dad that can be hard to do. I also found that I liked low natural light photography, street and candids over things like wildlife or landscapes.
But by daughter is graduating high school in June, and will be going away to college. She's not majoring in musical theater, so she will probably get involved in performing arts for fun here and there.  
I have also found that for many low light pictures, when movement is not involved, I want more DOF than 2.8, and often move up a few stops when ever I can. So I'm thinking the D800 and f2.8 lenses is overkill.

Good thinking. I would wager the D800 is more camera than most of its users can possibly use - or grow into. Heck, even the D600 is a handful

I never use the 70-200 outside of theater.  Don't want a P&S, and I've been carrying my D700, now D800, and a 24-70 f2.8 (and before that too many Canon film and digitals to mention, most recent a 5D and Canon 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's), everywhere.
So while a D600 is a trade off, I'm thinking it's fine for my new needs. With a 24-120 it's a smaller and lighter kit, delivers images with IQ on just about on par with the D800, and better than any other DSLR except the D800. The D600 AF and metering will be adequate, and the 24-120 seems reasonably close to the 24-70 up 70, with the extra reach when I need it. But the 24-70 lived in my camera, so above 70 is just a "nice to have".
Cheating as well ... also looking at getting a Sigma 35 f1.4. 
This seems to be a great alternative for travel, family events, and just walking around. I was seriously considering the Sony RX1, which is a terrific camera. But with the D600 I get something that is nearly as portable, with better AF, buit in view finder, and lens choices.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
tomiartz
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to jY h, Apr 30, 2013

I bought mine refurbished from adorama and yes, it also has the oil issue like some others around here. I've made it a habit to wet clean just before a shoot. It takes two minutes so I really don't understand what all the hoopla is all about. Pec pads 8$, eclipse another $8, and the results well worth the time. Is it realistic to expect no maintenance at any time with these tools. I believe some of the loudest screamers in this forum spend more time looking for problems than learning what they can actually do with the their cameras. Hope you get some beautiful images out of your new toy. Would love to see something worthwhile instead of white or blue sky at f22.

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to jY h, Apr 30, 2013

I found the 24-85 to be pretty good for a "Kit" lens also.  The low light capabilities of this camera are very good.  Let us know your experiences with it.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads