Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
Joe Tam
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear
Apr 27, 2013

I bought the Blackrapid Doublestrap DR-1 a month ago and it almost destroyed my D4 and 70-200/2.8 VR2.  I lifted up my camera to shoot and was switching to my 24-70 during a news event .  Just as I was lowering my camera towards my hip i noticed that the camera was not attached to the blackrapid connect r-2.(part that attaches to tripod mount screw)

I was confused as to how the camera could have come off the CR-2 because I always make sure to tighten the thumb screw part on the connect-r2.  I checked and it was tight then i noticed I could push down on the screw part and the connect-r2 opened and I saw the broken piece.

I had taken precautions in case the buckle broke off from the part that attaches to the strap.  I just never thought there was another point of failure on the Connect R-2.

I really like working with the Blackrapid but want to warn others that this problem can seriously damage their cameras.  I am glad that I noticed the camera was not attached or else it would have dropped on concrete during a fast-paced news situation.

The salesman at very large New York City camera store said another customer had recently said this happened.  It is a very troubling design issue and needs to be addressed by Blackrapid before more gear is damaged.

Anyone using the Sun-Sniper Bear Camera Screw on the DR-1?  How did you get it on?  I have heard you will have to cut the threads on the strap and will have to have them sewn on at a shoe repair shop.

Broken piece

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pajarrett
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Thanks for sharing.
In reply to Joe Tam, Apr 27, 2013

I am glad nothing happened to your equipment.

pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mimmo
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for sharing.
In reply to pajarrett, Apr 27, 2013

Take a look at carry speed

mimmo's gear list:mimmo's gear list
Nikon D750
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
In reply to mimmo, Apr 27, 2013

There was a thread not long ago that showed photos of bent tripod socket threads from all the weight hanging from the mounting socket. I would never use one of these straps.

RickD
Contributing MemberPosts: 837Gear list
Like?
Re: Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear
In reply to Joe Tam, Apr 27, 2013

Thank you.  I also really like my BR strap.  I noticed that the locking screw that keeps this connector from opening can easily loosen itself and developed the habit of  periodically checking and tightening it. This is something else I will now check for

-- hide signature --

RickD

RickD's gear list:RickD's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 27, 2013

tundracamper wrote:

There was a thread not long ago that showed photos of bent tripod socket threads from all the weight hanging from the mounting socket. I would never use one of these straps.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the OP's post, I would never use that set up!

Joe Tam
Like?
In reply to trend1, Apr 27, 2013

I had the Blackrapid connected to the tripod mount of the 70-200 so I wasn't too worried as I had taken precautions if the CR-2 snapped from the connector connected to the strap.  I was totally shocked to see another point of failure.

The Blackrapid has helped tremendously when it come to carrying two camera bodies for long periods of time.  Going back to regular straps is kind of a drag.

Anyone using the Sun sniper system and does it have any of the dangerous issues I was discovered in the Blackrapid?

trend1 wrote:

tundracamper wrote:

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the OP's post, I would never use that set up!

Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Joe Tam
Like?
In reply to pajarrett, Apr 27, 2013

Thanks.  I can't believe they are selling a product that has so many points of failure.  Perhaps the DR-1 is only good for point-and-shoots.  Definitely not pro-grade.  I've seen a few pros who are using it and have warned them about the design flaw.

pajarrett wrote:

I am glad nothing happened to your equipment.

orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163
Like?
In reply to Joe Tam, Apr 28, 2013

d800 with grip

i threw my blackrapid strap out... not wishing to pass a problematic POS onto another...

with d800/grip the grip wobbles at mount - against d800 body...

i go mostly strapless now...

horrible idea to sling all of this weight to bottom of camera - even when it is attached to l plate...

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

overniteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
In reply to orchidblooms, Apr 28, 2013

I wouldn't take a case of them for free. One of these BR failure posts show up monthly. They are not worth the anxiety.

Frozencpu
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to overniteman, Apr 28, 2013

Have you guys tried vulture straps they seem very tough and also can be used as neck strap

Joe Tam
Like?
In reply to Frozencpu, Apr 28, 2013

Any way I can get a refund for this defective piece of equipment?  Blackrapid customer support keeps saying my problem is very, very rare but two problems have already happened in a little over a month.      The stitches holding the two straps on the DR-1 came apart after 2 weeks, were replaced, and are already separating again.

The only thing that hasn't happened is the CR-1 snapping at the spot where the caribeener meets the part that connects to the strap.

Frozencpu wrote:

Have you guys tried vulture straps they seem very tough and also can be used as neck strap

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?
i dont trust these damn things no matter what.

i have hand held cameras and gone on tough hikes and sometimes scrambling. banging bodies and lenses is more safer to me and has survived quite well so far.

lesson learned

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Joe Tam
Like?
Re: i dont trust these damn things no matter what.
In reply to Devendra, Apr 28, 2013

Can anyone suggest a safe alternative to the Blackrapid?  I am thinking of getting the Sunsniper.

trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?

Joe, You may be interested in this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3338762?page=5

Joe Tam
Like?

Blackrapid customer support says the CR-2 is not meant for replacing broken CR-2 on the RS DR-1 yet the BHphoto.com site states:

"The BlackRapid ConnectR-2 (Black) is designed as an upgrade for an original R-Strap and a replacement for the R-S4, R-S5 or RS DR1 straps. It has a smooth swivel with a positive lock to ensure the safety of the camera or lens."

BTW, does B&H Photo censor certain negative reviews that describe catastrophic product failures?  I posted a review of a Newertech Guardian Maximus RAID enclosure that damaged both drives and it never showed up on their customer review page.

I also posted a review with pictures of the DR-1 with broken CR-2 and it never showed up.  There are 1-star reviews because people didn't like the product.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,473Gear list
Like?

The tripod socket is made to hold the camera on top of a tripod head.  To leverage the bottom of a heavy camera is asking for trouble.  Can't beat my op/tech shoulder strap for safe carrying of an expensive camera.  Holding a camera by a strap attached to the socket is not the way to go.  I'm glad your d4 wasn't dropped to the ground.

Larry

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665Gear list
Like?
Sunsniper
In reply to larrywilson, Apr 28, 2013

Give Sunsniper a look. Super happy with two units.

-- hide signature --

/Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
cdubman
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?

It's not the blackrapid that's the problem, it's using the tripod socket.

I use the BosStrap secured to the normal camera strap connector, and then hook the BlackRapid into the BosStrap. Very secure and better usability.

I don't have any affiliation but it's a great product.

I would never use the tripod socket.

bills_pix
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
In reply to cdubman, Apr 28, 2013

RRS just came out with an Arca Swiss clamp with space for a strap to thread through.  Looks very secure but still clamps to an L-bracket which is attached to the tripod socket so it might not really be a solution...

-- hide signature --

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads