DMCZS27K

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
Paramose
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
DMCZS27K
Apr 27, 2013
 Paramose's gear list:Paramose's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P712 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
ireno
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Paramose, Apr 27, 2013

I hope someone answers this.  I can't find anything about it.

-- hide signature --

ireno

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,056
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Paramose, Apr 27, 2013

I think that this is the equivalent to the ZS19 - a "ZS30" probably without GPS just as the ZS19 is a "ZS20" without GPS.

Basically, a less expensive ZS30 for those like me who don't care about GPS.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goldberry
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 27, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I think that this is the equivalent to the ZS19 - a "ZS30" probably without GPS just as the ZS19 is a "ZS20" without GPS.

Basically, a less expensive ZS30 for those like me who don't care about GPS.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

It has wifi though!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,056
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to goldberry, Apr 27, 2013

goldberry wrote:

It has wifi though!!!

I suppose SOMONE will find that interesting - not I 

Keep that information coming!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 27, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I think that this is the equivalent to the ZS19 - a "ZS30" probably without GPS just as the ZS19 is a "ZS20" without GPS.

Basically, a less expensive ZS30 for those like me who don't care about GPS.

Yes,  you're right Erik, as mentioned in the original DPR announcement:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/31/Panasonic_DMCZS20_ZS15_DMCTZ27_TZ25_Launch

They say there: "A non-GPS version of the ZS30, called the ZS27/TZ19 will also exist, probably available only through a limited number of camera stores."

I think the ZS19 was only available in the USA, so maybe the ZS27 will be the same?

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WB5
WB5
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Ianperegian, Apr 28, 2013

I have seen a TZ37 in Belgium (TZ35=ZS25 and TZ40=ZS30). Not sure what it is, but I guess it's the European equivalent of this ZS27.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to WB5, Apr 28, 2013

WB5 wrote:

I have seen a TZ37 in Belgium (TZ35=ZS25 and TZ40=ZS30). Not sure what it is, but I guess it's the European equivalent of this ZS27.

The Panasonic model numbering is certainly very confusing.  It seems that the TZ37 was announced together with the TZ40 and TZ35:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-tz40-tz37-tz35-travel-zoom-announced-20994

Then in a further link (here ) they say:

"Panasonic Lumix TZ37 - Retail version of TZ40 - with Power OIS instead of Hybrid (5-axis) OIS, removes GPS feature."

So the TZ37 seems to be similar to the ZS27/ZS19 in not having the GPS, although according to that it also has a different IS.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Ianperegian, Apr 28, 2013

that's sucks.  The level sensor is a useful feature.  Hopefully someone will provides a comparison IS of ZS27 and ZS30.

Ianperegian wrote:

WB5 wrote:

I have seen a TZ37 in Belgium (TZ35=ZS25 and TZ40=ZS30). Not sure what it is, but I guess it's the European equivalent of this ZS27.

The Panasonic model numbering is certainly very confusing.  It seems that the TZ37 was announced together with the TZ40 and TZ35:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-tz40-tz37-tz35-travel-zoom-announced-20994

Then in a further link (here ) they say:

"Panasonic Lumix TZ37 - Retail version of TZ40 - with Power OIS instead of Hybrid (5-axis) OIS, removes GPS feature."

So the TZ37 seems to be similar to the ZS27/ZS19 in not having the GPS, although according to that it also has a different IS.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 28, 2013

AndyHWC wrote:

that's sucks.  The level sensor is a useful feature.  Hopefully someone will provides a comparison IS of ZS27 and ZS30.

I'm not sure what you mean about the level guide.  That is a feature which provides coloured lines on the LCD so that while holding the camera you can adjust its tilt to avoid sloping horizons, as well as to avoid up/down tilt.

The level guide is not connected with the OIS.  The OIS is a separate function which automatically moves the lens elements to counteract hand shake.

From what I can gather from the specifications on Panasonic's own websites, the ZS30 and the TZ40 have the 18MP sensor, as well having all of the other features including 1080/60p (ZS30) and 1080/50p (TZ40) video.

The ZS25 and TZ35 have a 16MP sensor and lack several features, including the level guide, and only have 1080/60i (ZS25) and 1080/50i (TZ35) video.

However, the ZS27 and TZ37 have the 18MP sensor and I suspect they only lack the GPS when compared with the ZS30 and TZ40.  I think the comment on ephotozine about a different OIS may be incorrect, since the DPR announcement states that the only difference is in not having GPS.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Ianperegian, Apr 29, 2013

Ianperegian wrote:

AndyHWC wrote:

that's sucks.  The level sensor is a useful feature.  Hopefully someone will provides a comparison IS of ZS27 and ZS30.

I'm not sure what you mean about the level guide.  That is a feature which provides coloured lines on the LCD so that while holding the camera you can adjust its tilt to avoid sloping horizons, as well as to avoid up/down tilt.

The level guide is not connected with the OIS.  The OIS is a separate function which automatically moves the lens elements to counteract hand shake.

From what I can gather from the specifications on Panasonic's own websites, the ZS30 and the TZ40 have the 18MP sensor, as well having all of the other features including 1080/60p (ZS30) and 1080/50p (TZ40) video.

The ZS25 and TZ35 have a 16MP sensor and lack several features, including the level guide, and only have 1080/60i (ZS25) and 1080/50i (TZ35) video.

However, the ZS27 and TZ37 have the 18MP sensor and I suspect they only lack the GPS when compared with the ZS30 and TZ40.  I think the comment on ephotozine about a different OIS may be incorrect, since the DPR announcement states that the only difference is in not having GPS.

Ian

-- hide signature --

The electronic level will tell you if your camera is not level.  A grid line helps but won't work as well in reality.  It is a nice useful feature, not a deal breaker since I can align it in pp.  It probably very useful for my wife though.

My primary concern is lack of 5-axis IS probalby due to the missing level sensor.  It should help compensate side tilt and rocking motion which is common when you take movie while you are walking.  Anyone know if the power OIS is a 3-axis IS or 2-axis?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ40_ZS30/images/menus/P1010871.jpg

The user manual of ZS27/ZS30 confirmed both the electronic level, 5-axis are feature only available to ZS30.  In addition to the GPS.    

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 29, 2013

The electronic level will tell you if your camera is not level.  A grid line helps but won't work as well in reality.  It is a nice useful feature, not a deal breaker since I can align it in pp.  It probably very useful for my wife though.

My primary concern is lack of 5-axis IS probalby due to the missing level sensor.  It should help compensate side tilt and rocking motion which is common when you take movie while you are walking.  Anyone know if the power OIS is a 3-axis IS or 2-axis?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ40_ZS30/images/menus/P1010871.jpg

The user manual of ZS27/ZS30 confirmed both the electronic level, 5-axis are feature only available to ZS30.  In addition to the GPS.    

Futhermore, in the user manual.  Panasonic refers the 5-axis as "hybrid" IS.  I think the 4th and 5th axis are software solution utilizes data from the electronic level.  Basically it straighten the frame in real time using the data from the level - pretty smart idea but it is just my speculation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,056
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 29, 2013

AndyHWC wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

AndyHWC wrote:

that's sucks.  The level sensor is a useful feature.  Hopefully someone will provides a comparison IS of ZS27 and ZS30.

I'm not sure what you mean about the level guide.  That is a feature which provides coloured lines on the LCD so that while holding the camera you can adjust its tilt to avoid sloping horizons, as well as to avoid up/down tilt.

The level guide is not connected with the OIS.  The OIS is a separate function which automatically moves the lens elements to counteract hand shake.

From what I can gather from the specifications on Panasonic's own websites, the ZS30 and the TZ40 have the 18MP sensor, as well having all of the other features including 1080/60p (ZS30) and 1080/50p (TZ40) video.

The ZS25 and TZ35 have a 16MP sensor and lack several features, including the level guide, and only have 1080/60i (ZS25) and 1080/50i (TZ35) video.

However, the ZS27 and TZ37 have the 18MP sensor and I suspect they only lack the GPS when compared with the ZS30 and TZ40.  I think the comment on ephotozine about a different OIS may be incorrect, since the DPR announcement states that the only difference is in not having GPS.

Ian

-- hide signature --

The electronic level will tell you if your camera is not level.  A grid line helps but won't work as well in reality.  It is a nice useful feature, not a deal breaker since I can align it in pp.  It probably very useful for my wife though.

My primary concern is lack of 5-axis IS probalby due to the missing level sensor.  It should help compensate side tilt and rocking motion which is common when you take movie while you are walking.  Anyone know if the power OIS is a 3-axis IS or 2-axis?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ40_ZS30/images/menus/P1010871.jpg

The user manual of ZS27/ZS30 confirmed both the electronic level, 5-axis are feature only available to ZS30.  In addition to the GPS.    

OK, I have a ZS19, and the camera you are discussing is the next generation above that.

I find the ZS19 OIS to be absolutely BULLETPROOF.

I'd say: quit worrying unless you plan on handholding at longer tan 1/2 second - for all realistic situations, with minimal care, the OIS will do the job. Period.

AND, just as an aside, the short (actual, not "equivalent") focal length lenses in these great little cameras DO suffer - badly - from diffraction when stopped down. I tested it, and my ZS19 is significantly sharper at ƒ3.3 - wide open. I shoot 99% of the time in Aperture mode at ƒ3.3 and only ever stop down as far as ƒ4.5 in extremely bright light when there is detail I want in the brightest part of the scene. I did find that necessary a few times in Tasmania, which has really clear skies like you have in New Zealand.

I never stop down further than ƒ4.5, at the maximum.

Shooting outside at ƒ3.3, the shutter speed was usually over 1/1,000th second, and quite often maxed out at 1/2,000th - which is where stopping down a bit comes in. I have pictures from Tasmania shot from a moving car at ƒ3.3, 1/2,000th which look like they were shot from a tripod.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks but my concern is not still.  In fact, I believe 5-axis IS is for movie mode only.

btw, thanks for sharing your tip on wide focal length.  I thought the ZS19/20/27/30 min shutter speed is 1/1200, how did you get 1/2000?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

OK, I have a ZS19, and the camera you are discussing is the next generation above that.

I find the ZS19 OIS to be absolutely BULLETPROOF.

I'd say: quit worrying unless you plan on handholding at longer tan 1/2 second - for all realistic situations, with minimal care, the OIS will do the job. Period.

AND, just as an aside, the short (actual, not "equivalent") focal length lenses in these great little cameras DO suffer - badly - from diffraction when stopped down. I tested it, and my ZS19 is significantly sharper at ƒ3.3 - wide open. I shoot 99% of the time in Aperture mode at ƒ3.3 and only ever stop down as far as ƒ4.5 in extremely bright light when there is detail I want in the brightest part of the scene. I did find that necessary a few times in Tasmania, which has really clear skies like you have in New Zealand.

I never stop down further than ƒ4.5, at the maximum.

Shooting outside at ƒ3.3, the shutter speed was usually over 1/1,000th second, and quite often maxed out at 1/2,000th - which is where stopping down a bit comes in. I have pictures from Tasmania shot from a moving car at ƒ3.3, 1/2,000th which look like they were shot from a tripod.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rover220
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 29, 2013

Just a little off topic ,but.

Erik , how do you find the image quality and the OIS of the ZS19 / TZ27 in comparison to the ZS15 /TZ25. ?.

Thanks .

Paul.

 rover220's gear list:rover220's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Leica C Kodak ESP 5250 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,056
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to rover220, Apr 29, 2013

rover220 wrote:

Just a little off topic ,but.

Erik , how do you find the image quality and the OIS of the ZS19 / TZ27 in comparison to the ZS15 /TZ25. ?.

Thanks .

Paul.

Thanks, Paul,

IQ compared to ZS15? I have no idea. "Conventional Wisdom" is that the ZS15 is supposed to have slightly better IQ than the zs19/20 but,

A- This is based on the idea that the ZS15 sensor is identical to the FZ150 - never proven, and,

B- I've never seen a true comparison of the same scene taken with both cameras that showed any difference.

The ZS15 is a bit larger & has less zoom range, so for MY USE*, I am totally happy with the ZS19.

* "MY USE" - I carry the camera at ALL TIMES, I am never without it, it's in my right trouser pocket right now, and when I'm gardening or taking out the trash - always. It is my "recording telescope & microscope", my notebook, pocket copier and "looking into tight places" device.

As such, It has to be with me always. The attached Clearviewer adds back the approximately 1/4 inch of slimness of the ZS19 over the ZS15, and that's fine, because the Clearviewer is the best thing that ever happened to any P&S, IMHO.

The camera is in a plastic bag, to keep pocket lint from getting pumped into the camera by the lens moving in & out.

As to OIS - IMHO it's bulletproof: with even marginal care, the OIS will always provide sharp results.

Sorry - maybe a bit off-topic, myself, but.........."since you asked" 

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to rover220, Apr 29, 2013

I only used the ZS20 before, and never compare the ZS19/20 and ZS15 side by side.  DPR has studio comparison for the two, the ZS15 has better IQ base on that.

I assume both have same O.I.S.  The ZS15 "feels" a lot cheaper than the ZS20 though.  And the key disadvantage imo is the mono microphone.

rover220 wrote:

Just a little off topic ,but.

Erik , how do you find the image quality and the OIS of the ZS19 / TZ27 in comparison to the ZS15 /TZ25. ?.

Thanks .

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rover220
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 29, 2013

The video capability was nice to have and the mono sound isn't a problem ,I don't do much if any video ,but it is good to have the option to.

Deciding factor for me was the quality of build and pictures taken ,oh and of course the Leica lens.

Having used 35mm SLR cameras many years ago ,and until my first TZ (TZ9) ,I had only used Olympus P&S for holidays and the such ,but the photography bug has caught up with me again after many years ,that and not wanting to do my other hobby ( fishing) in the colder months.

Cameras have come a very long way since 35mm film ,and I find myself learning ,by trial and error mainly, lots of new things and re-learning many others. I still struggle sometimes to remember that you can take several shots of the same subject and not have to worry about changing or running out of film ,that and the costs of developing it.

I WILL learn eventually ,and hopefully capture some shots worth presenting in front of those that have far more expertise than I.

Paul.

 rover220's gear list:rover220's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Leica C Kodak ESP 5250 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 29, 2013

AndyHWC wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

AndyHWC wrote:

that's sucks.  The level sensor is a useful feature.  Hopefully someone will provides a comparison IS of ZS27 and ZS30.

I'm not sure what you mean about the level guide.  That is a feature which provides coloured lines on the LCD so that while holding the camera you can adjust its tilt to avoid sloping horizons, as well as to avoid up/down tilt.

The level guide is not connected with the OIS.  The OIS is a separate function which automatically moves the lens elements to counteract hand shake.

From what I can gather from the specifications on Panasonic's own websites, the ZS30 and the TZ40 have the 18MP sensor, as well having all of the other features including 1080/60p (ZS30) and 1080/50p (TZ40) video.

The ZS25 and TZ35 have a 16MP sensor and lack several features, including the level guide, and only have 1080/60i (ZS25) and 1080/50i (TZ35) video.

However, the ZS27 and TZ37 have the 18MP sensor and I suspect they only lack the GPS when compared with the ZS30 and TZ40.  I think the comment on ephotozine about a different OIS may be incorrect, since the DPR announcement states that the only difference is in not having GPS.

Ian

-- hide signature --

The electronic level will tell you if your camera is not level.  A grid line helps but won't work as well in reality.  It is a nice useful feature, not a deal breaker since I can align it in pp.  It probably very useful for my wife though.

My primary concern is lack of 5-axis IS probalby due to the missing level sensor.  It should help compensate side tilt and rocking motion which is common when you take movie while you are walking.  Anyone know if the power OIS is a 3-axis IS or 2-axis?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ40_ZS30/images/menus/P1010871.jpg

The user manual of ZS27/ZS30 confirmed both the electronic level, 5-axis are feature only available to ZS30.  In addition to the GPS.    

My apologies, I realise now you were talking about movies.  The Panasonic sites are not very clear about it, but I think the 5-axis IS only applies to movies, and it is only available on the TZ40/ZS30  (and TZ37/ZS27) and not on the TZ35/ZS25.

As you said, I think the 5-axis correction must crop the image to achieve the levelling effect in the movie mode.  The sensor at 18MP has a lot more pixels than are required for a 1920 x1080 (2MP) HD movie frame.

The TZ30/ZS20 and the TZ35/ZS25 have Power OIS with "Active Mode" for video.  It seems the Active Mode is optical (not cropping), and provides another axis of correction (they don't say if it's the 3rd or 4th axis) as the Panasonic site says "it's an optical system so there's no image degradation":

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs25_tz35/video.html#active-mode

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,056
Like?
Re: DMCZS27K Shutter speeds.
In reply to AndyHWC, Apr 29, 2013

AndyHWC wrote:

Thanks but my concern is not still.  In fact, I believe 5-axis IS is for movie mode only.

btw, thanks for sharing your tip on wide focal length.  I thought the ZS19/20/27/30 min shutter speed is 1/1200, how did you get 1/2000?

Sorry, my apologies, too.

I didn't catch the part about video.

1/2,000th? On the ZS19, just set ƒ3.3 in A Mode and go out in bright light (tasmania is very, very clear-sky bright) so I saw 1/2,000 a lot, there. 

OR "S" shutter priority, click up to 1/2,000th - that's as fast as it goes. 

I just checked it in both A & S modes - 1/2,000.

Sure enough the "Specs" say 1/200th - and are wrong. Maybe the ZS20 has that limit.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads