Aaanouel got me thinking..Can I have your Honest Opinion, Please?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,242Gear list
Like?
Aaanouel got me thinking..Can I have your Honest Opinion, Please?
Apr 27, 2013

I have been making video slideshows using 1.50 sec dissolving transitionsbetween photos.

But
Aaanouel states... In my opinion and just the same as another of your previous editions, Iwouldn't have used so many different transitions (it's like using a different ceramic tile for each room in a single house: italian taste (Ha!)), less is more in many cases.

So now I'm thinking maybe I doing it wrong??? But I feel using no transition from photo to photo is "Too Abrupt"???? Can you view this short video (And Give me your OPINON) where I use

1 No Transitions

2 .50 sec dissolving transition

3 1.50 sec dissolving transition (Original Version)

Best viewed 1080 full screen

http://youtu.be/zugGtCXZqyw

Of course it is "All in the eye of the Beholder"

Thanks, Bill

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,667Gear list
Like?
Re: Aaanouel got me thinking..Can I have your Honest Opinion, Please?
In reply to Bill Borne, Apr 27, 2013

personaly .50 for me smooth transitions and not to long, for me its the most pleasant form to look at.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VaBoater
Contributing MemberPosts: 718
Like?

Well since you asked. For me the 1.5 is just annoying. .5 is long enough. But why I think no transition time works the best for me! It  holds my interest longer, just seems cleaner for lack of a better word. You give just enough time before the next shot pops up.

aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,040Gear list
Like?
My humble opinion

Hi Bill, thanks for asking.

What I previously meant was that for video editing, it is better to use few types of transition, for example: using one for the beginning and ending, another for inserting/passing titles, another one between scenes or photos and probably, one than other coherent special transition for highlighting interesting scenes or photos (but not the whole transition catalog, LOL!).

That gives the video production personality, consistency, it centers and enhances the attention on the contents, without excessive distracting effects (contrary to TV adds which need to transmit ideas in very short time). About the transition sample you've just made, I'd use even longer transitions probably 2 or 3 secs depending on the scenes.

But, too many slow transitions can make the movie booooooring also!. If the movie is going to be long, it's good to make changes for giving it more dynamism, one could even use, no transition at all or rapid shocking flashes in between some photos or scenes for getting the attention of the viewer when considering necessary... it all depends on the sensations you want the movie produce on the viewer along it's running.

All this without mentioning anything about using and editing sounds and music... but that may be very complex and tedious job... LOL!!!

Glad2help

PS.: When using (abusing) too many different transitions, it's like viewing those actual action movies for kids with so many FXs, up to the point of getting tired of them soon.

-- hide signature --

--
aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,909
Like?
Re: My humble opinion?
In reply to aaanouel, Apr 27, 2013

I like the .50 transitions. In fact I'm going to start using them myself, for some scenes. They are quick, like it's almost a jump-cut, buy yet smooth. This is for action scenes or where action is anticipated. For scenery however, a slower solid fade is good. I really am annoyed by gimmicky transitions that too many people use-------pictures spinning around or breaking up into pixie dust and then re-materializing-------you know what I mean. There really are times when different transitions are best and I'm going to have to start being more versatile with mine.

I remember the good old days when jump-cuts were all you had, unless you used an expensive Avid Suite or something like that. Crash editing from VCR to VCR was what I did, until I jumped into HDTV and a fast computer, five years ago and actually got a digital video editing program. My fingers and my brain were the program before that.

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Marti
In reply to Marti58, Apr 27, 2013

Marti58 wrote:

personaly .50 for me smooth transitions and not to long, for me its the most pleasant form to look at.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Yes, I'm thinking that also.

Thanks for replying

-- hide signature --
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: VAboater
In reply to VaBoater, Apr 27, 2013

VaBoater wrote:

Well since you asked. For me the 1.5 is just annoying. .5 is long enough. But why I think no transition time works the best for me! It  holds my interest longer, just seems cleaner for lack of a better word. You give just enough time before the next shot pops up.

Thanks for your Opinion. Yes, I'm thinking .5 is good as I see it. You like no transitions, but for me I think no transitions are too abrupt as next photo pops up?

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Aaanouel

aaanouel wrote:

Hi Bill, thanks for asking.

What I previously meant was that for video editing, it is better to use few types of transition, for example: using one for the beginning and ending, another for inserting/passing titles, another one between scenes or photos and probably, one than other coherent special transition for highlighting interesting scenes or photos (but not the whole transition catalog, LOL!).

-- hide signature --

--
aaanouel

You are confusing me? The original videos have only two transition types...

1 flipping for Description shots

2 Dissolving between photos.

Are you saying transition should not have been made between ALL photos?

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Steve
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Apr 27, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I like the .50 transitions. In fact I'm going to start using them myself, for some scenes. They are quick, like it's almost a jump-cut, buy yet smooth. This is for action scenes or where action is anticipated. For scenery however, a slower solid fade is good. I really am annoyed by gimmicky transitions that too many people use-------pictures spinning around or breaking up into pixie dust and then re-materializing-------you know what I mean. There really are times when different transitions are best and I'm going to have to start being more versatile with mine.

I remember the good old days when jump-cuts were all you had, unless you used an expensive Avid Suite or something like that. Crash editing from VCR to VCR was what I did, until I jumped into HDTV and a fast computer, five years ago and actually got a digital video editing program. My fingers and my brain were the program before that.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I'm now thing that .5 is a good time...maybe even less? Have to try less. I used flipping (reveal) on description photos to accentuate them.

Thanks for your opinions Steve....Especially since you are "The Video Man" here.

-- hide signature --
aaanouel
Like?
Re: My humble opinion?
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Apr 27, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I like the .50 transitions. In fact I'm going to start using them myself, for some scenes. They are quick, like it's almost a jump-cut, buy yet smooth.

Right

This is for action scenes or where action is anticipated. For scenery however, a slower solid fade is good.

Agree.

I really am annoyed by gimmicky transitions that too many people use-------pictures spinning around or breaking up into pixie dust and then re-materializing-------

Ha!!! And what about flying letters to make word, flying words to make phrases or flying phrases to make texts... it's really booooring and annoying, LOL!!!

you know what I mean. There really are times when different transitions are best and I'm going to have to start being more versatile with mine.

Yes, it helps a lot for doing more attractive sequences

That's right Steve, it was terrible, but once digital video processing appeared, our editing table and computers made it very easier task. Anyway, I take my hat off in front of News makers, they have to edit videos, sound and text for producing a half an hour program, in a matter of few minutes, that's expertise for real!!!

Computers put in hands of common people so many tools... but experts only need and use only few of them for doing master works.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
aaanouel
Like?
Nop Bill

No Bill, if I well remember, original video had a lot of different transitions (wipes, spiral, dissolving pixels, fading, etc...) and that's what I was concerned about. What I'm saying is to use transitions according to the scenes and photo contents and using them as you consider will be adequate, all according to your feelings and thoughts meanwhile keeping the whole movie as coherent as possible. Just being creative but conservative at the time.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
Not as experienced as Steve, but...

Remember that we also used to have a Video Post-Production Study for commercial advertising and documental TV programs, some years ago, LOL!.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Nop Bill

aaanouel wrote:

No Bill, if I well remember, original video had a lot of different transitions (wipes, spiral, dissolving pixels, fading, etc...) and that's what I was concerned about. What I'm saying is to use transitions according to the scenes and photo contents and using them as you consider will be adequate, all according to your feelings and thoughts meanwhile keeping the whole movie as coherent as possible. Just being creative but conservative at the time.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

OH, so your talking about a video I posted a while ago?  Yes I did one or two like that! And you are right

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Not as experienced as Steve, but...

aaanouel wrote:

Remember that we also used to have a Video Post-Production Study for commercial advertising and documental TV programs, some years ago, LOL!.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Nope...don't remember

-- hide signature --
aaanouel
Like?
Sorry Bill
In reply to Bill Borne, Apr 28, 2013

I think you're right Bill.

As I already replied on the other thread:

Sorry about my confusion Bill...

I've watched it again and transitions are OK, I like it! (is it the same one I watched first? LOL!).

I said what I said very probably after viewing another (older) video and got confused, as you tell me.

Txs4Sharing

-- hide signature --

--
aaanouel

Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Sorry Bill
In reply to aaanouel, Apr 28, 2013

aaanouel wrote:

I think you're right Bill.

As I already replied on the other thread:

Sorry about my confusion Bill...

I've watched it again and transitions are OK, I like it! (is it the same one I watched first? LOL!).

I said what I said very probably after viewing another (older) video and got confused, as you tell me.

Txs4Sharing

-- hide signature --

--
aaanouel

Seems we were both confused

-- hide signature --
KCHAWK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
.5 second

I like the 1/2 second dissolve.  Maybe try another transition instead of dissolve?

-- hide signature --

Larry
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape

KCHAWK's gear list:KCHAWK's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,909
Like?
Re: .5 second
In reply to KCHAWK, Apr 28, 2013

KCHAWK wrote:

I like the 1/2 second dissolve.  Maybe try another transition instead of dissolve?

-- hide signature --

Larry

It's actually called a "solid fade", at least on the editing programs I use. In a dissolve, the picture disintegrates and then re-materializes into a new scene (I don't care for it).

-- hide signature --
RogerZoul
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

I feel like the 0.5 second transitions are the best.  Abrupt is a bit painful and 1.5 is annoying, after a while.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: .5 second
In reply to KCHAWK, Apr 28, 2013

KCHAWK wrote:

-- hide signature --

Larry

Tried others...this works best IMO

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads