D4000 full frame entry level camera.

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
D4000 full frame entry level camera.
Apr 27, 2013

It is well known fact that Nikon expands DSLR range both for FX ad DX.

Today Nikon makes D1 style body FX, D100 style FX, D70 style FX.

So next logical move will be D40 style FX, call it D4000.

So question is what discussion thread on dpreview forum belongs to D4000 entry level FX camera?

Nikon D1 Nikon D100 Nikon D40 Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439Gear list
Like?
Re: D4000 full frame entry level camera.
In reply to krikman, Apr 27, 2013

krikman wrote:

So question is what discussion thread on dpreview forum belongs to D4000 entry level FX camera?

I don't think it's logical to assume that a FX camera with the feature set of a D5XXX or a D3XXX is in the works. The D40 was an entry level camera. To create a FX entry level product, would raise the cost of entering into the DSLR photography considerably. The cost of a D7100 DX camera is around $1200. The cost of the Fx D600 is around $2000, which makes it 2/3rds more expensive than the 7100, a camera whose body is almost the same as the 600. If we apply that comparison to a D3200 and D4000, we are looking at a retail cost of about $1160 for the D4000. I don't think it is going to happen, at least not in the near future.

But to your original question; since this is the Nikon FX Forum, this would be the place.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,849
Like?
In reply to Rich Rosen, Apr 27, 2013

Rich Rosen wrote:

krikman wrote:

I don't think it's logical to assume that a FX camera with the feature set of a D5XXX or a D3XXX is in the works. The D40 was an entry level camera. To create a FX entry level product, would raise the cost of entering into the DSLR photography considerably. The cost of a D7100 DX camera is around $1200. The cost of the Fx D600 is around $2000, which makes it 2/3rds more expensive than the 7100, a camera whose body is almost the same as the 600. If we apply that comparison to a D3200 and D4000, we are looking at a retail cost of about $1160 for the D4000. I don't think it is going to happen, at least not in the near future.

But to your original question; since this is the Nikon FX Forum, this would be the place.

IF Nikon did make an entry level FX AND IF it were included here, THEN I would visit here even less than I do now.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Apr 27, 2013

i agree that an entry level camera belongs in an entry level forum. D600 belongs in an enthusiast's forum. But DP review has seen fit to categorize all FX cameras in one forum, but then chooses to put DX  pro cameras in that same forum. Makes no sense.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,900Gear list
Like?
There's no easyt answer to all of this..
In reply to Rich Rosen, Apr 27, 2013

Rich Rosen wrote:

i agree that an entry level camera belongs in an entry level forum. D600 belongs in an enthusiast's forum. But DP review has seen fit to categorize all FX cameras in one forum, but then chooses to put DX  pro cameras in that same forum. Makes no sense.

I have had S2 Pro, D200, D300, D700, And now have D7000 with D600. I see a common problem in all of the fora I have participated in.

example: The D7000 is a highly sophisticated beast in a 'consumer' sector. I stated early on that the D7000 should have been in the Pro DX forum; not because I felt it was Pro build, but because to understand it required more experience than the beginners liked. Forever complaining about overexposure and not wanting to learn how the metering was design to work. Focus point metering bias in matrix mode for example. You would have experienced people like Steve Bingham pointing this out relentlessly; often to no avail.

I fear the same with the D600. Entry level users with no practical operational experience with a sophisticated DSLr asking questions that belie this.

I'm certainly not an elitist.. (going from a D700 to D7000?... certainly not) If someone wants a certain level of camera he should be allowed into the group. However if someone wants to learn things in a more experienced group they need to listen and not argue from a point of little knowledge. I often hear technical discussion right here that I have little knowledge of so I keep my 'mouth shut' and listen to all sides, do some research myself if appropriate.

This doesn't happen very often with 'new to DSLr' members and it just gets the locals upset. Hence a 'place' that will let them grow more first is probably a good thing for all. No one goes to university and joins the last year of a five year course do they; It's not that they couldn't learn anything, but often can't talk on the same level.

Glad it's not my decision..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,958Gear list
Like?

krikman wrote:

The News and Rumors forum.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
Forget it nt Re: D4000 full frame entry level camera.
-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads