MFT shipments down

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
Re: revenues down the same as units (but about 19%, not 43%)
In reply to Eamon Hickey, May 2, 2013

The figures still aren't broken down by type of mirrorless mount or brand so it doesn't prove either way whether Mft sales/shipments are up or down, the drop could actually be down to just 1 or 2 brands sliding eg Pentax q or Nikon 1

-- hide signature --

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,393Gear list
Like?
Re: Or, maybe this is why!
In reply to Grobb, May 2, 2013

I suspect that the sort of analysis on this link is as relevant to the average photographer as a knowledge of quantum mechanics is to the average citizen in his daily life.

tron555 wrote:

Its because people thinking about getting a m4/3 camera and come across a post like this: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51378681 That entire thread is all about people trying to figure out which apertures and focal lengths each of their very expensive lenses take sharp images?!?! It seems like you can’t get a good current m4/3 camera, buy 2 good lenses (short/long) and get sharp images from corner to corner. It seems from reading that entire thread that you need at least 4-5 expensive lenses to cover all your needs. Is it possible some people are coming to the conclusion that sure, you can spend $4-600 on a very good m4/3 camera, BUT you need to spend at least another $1-1,500 (or more) on an entire arsenal of specialized lenses? That is the only thing stopping me from purchasing my first m4/3 (E-PL5) right now. Is it not possible to just have a short/long range reasonably prices lenses and get reasonably sharp images from corner to corner across the focal range? If no, this makes purchasing a m4/3 camera system a very costly and complicated process. Especially from people coming from fixed lens camera's that do not have to contend with those kind of issues or expenses and possibly frustrations.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eamon Hickey, May 2, 2013

Eamon Hickey wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

So instead of raw figures, perhaps we can see revenue? My guess is, it won't reflect nearly as much of a dip, if any at all, due to the fact that, while fewer units were shipped, they were, on the average, more high end bodies and lenses, because there are a lot more of both now than there were a year ago.

CIPA also provides revenue numbers. Revenues for mirrorless ILC cameras shipped in Q1 2013 were 82% of revenues for the same period in 2012, so about 18% lower.

It turns out that's about the same as the drop in units shipped. I noticed that the units shipped figure Mr. Hogan was using for Q1 2012 wasn't correct -- he has since updated his original article to reflect that.

Using the correct figures, mirrorless ILC units shipped in Q1 2013 were about 81.5% of units shipped for the same period in 2012. So about 19% lower.

Thanks for catching this. Perhaps Thom should write a companion article about the drop in DSLR sales on bythom.com

Price per unit was essentially unchanged (up less than 1%): 33,056 yen in the first quarter of 2012 and 33,297 in 2013.

For DSLRs, price per unit increased 5%: from 38,182 yen to 40,279.

That's a more modest decline, and slightly less than the decline for DSLRs (although the difference isn't significant, in my view). With the corrected figures, it strengthens my feeling that the cause is probably mostly slack economic conditions in much of the world, rather than anything specific about the mirrorless camera business.

I think you are probably right, although some of it could reflect more people relying on their smartphones.  Smartphone sales have continued to rise during the recession, so buyers may only have sufficient disposable income to upgrade their phones.

Still, I'm surprised at the relatively significant decline in mirrorless ILC sales.

So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,668Gear list
Like?
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 2, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Still, I'm surprised at the relatively significant decline in mirrorless ILC sales.

>So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

Hi Michael

I think that a significant portion of initial sales numbers were driven in large part by DSLR owners looking for a smaller lighter back up kit to go alongside their main system. That was certainly my initial interest though I have bought into the quite substantially . Obviously there were many who went into the system hook line and sinker but not in the quantities the initial sales numbers indicated. Now, with the competition growing in the small carry around market from a number of directions including a number of other mirrorless systems, the growth of the large sensor compact sector, and even at the lower end many seem satisfied with their mobile phone cameras. The fundamental advantage of mFT is size and weight if you remove that particular criteria it becomes easy to get more for your money {regarding image quality at least}.

I am not too surprised as in the last year or so there have been some excellent DSLR cameras especially from Nikon with excellent class leading sensor performance in all ranges from the D5200 –D7100-D600-D800-D800E-D4, Canon though their APS cameras have not exactly been  revolutionary, the have also done well with their FF models. I firmly believe that sooner or later mirrorless will dominate the market, the difference with some here is that I do not think it will be mFT that inherits the earth. The on-going losses of Olympus and Panasonic imaging departments in what many were promoting as a supposed boom time in mFT sales says quite a bit. At least to those of us who do not cite Flickr groups as a source of sales data

It is rather amusing that the same people who jumped on every tiny snippet of positive data { all sourced from the same data sets these numbers represent] who were spouting the old DSLR's are dead routine , have trouble accepting these numbers

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,668Gear list
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, May 2, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

The figures still aren't broken down by type of mirrorless mount or brand so it doesn't prove either way whether Mft sales/shipments are up or down, the drop could actually be down to just 1 or 2 brands sliding eg Pentax q or Nikon 1

-- hide signature --

I am curious just where exactly do you think mFT  is dominating the market  ?

Japan

http://dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=jranking

First current gen mFT is in 25thspot the  E-M5 is 40 Places behind the D800 that came out at the same time

USA

{top selling chart of all digital cameras types }

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_3?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A502394%2Cn%3A281052&ie=UTF8&qid=1367528578

no current  mFT in the top 60 cameras

UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A560798%2Cn%3A!560800%2Cn%3A560834%2Cn%3A560836&ie=UTF8&qid=1367528870

No mFT in the top 100 selling models

PIXMANIA  UK { you used to love them :-)}

{top selling chart of all digital cameras types}

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/cameras/digital-camera/1/1/categorie.html#aj-m-1,aj-s-1659,aj-s-1660,aj-s-20088,aj-s-1661,aj-s-1663,aj-s-20080/amount-low=0,amount-min=0,amount-high=3947,amount-max=3947/sortFilter=topsellers-DESC/display-list/

Wow , here’s a winner we have 1 mFT in the top 100

PIXMANIA GERMANY

http://www.pixmania.de/de/de/foto/digitalkamera/1/1/categorie.html#aj-m-1,aj-s-1659,aj-s-1660,aj-s-20088,aj-s-1661,aj-s-1663,aj-s-20080,aj-s-20165/amount-low=0,amount-min=0,amount-high=3716,amount-max=3716/sortFilter=topsellers-DESC/display-list/

good news an mFT tops the charts bad news it’s the heavily discounted G3 { still a good buy } and there is only one other mFT camera in the top 100

PIXMANIA FRANCE

http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/photo/appareil-photo-numerique/1/1/categorie.html#aj-m-1,aj-s-1659,aj-s-1660,aj-s-20088,aj-s-1661,aj-s-1663,aj-s-20080,aj-s-20165/amount-low=0,amount-min=0,amount-high=8568,amount-max=8568/sortFilter=topsellers-DESC/display-list/

2 mFT models in the top 100 both older G3 and e-pm1

Even Flickr lets you down, there are 4,401,655 images from the D800 compared to the E-M5 at 2,390,479 even though the D800 costs double what the E-M5 does and DSLR’s are dead, not bad for just over the year though . The D7000 however has just over 15,000,000 images a year.

For anyone other than Youdidnt this post is made as a joke , to mention Flickr groups as an indicator of sales is pretty amusing,

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
MichaelKJ
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, May 2, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

>So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

Hi Michael

I think that a significant portion of initial sales numbers were driven in large part by DSLR owners looking for a smaller lighter back up kit to go alongside their main system. That was certainly my initial interest though I have bought into the quite substantially . Obviously there were many who went into the system hook line and sinker but not in the quantities the initial sales numbers indicated. Now, with the competition growing in the small carry around market from a number of directions including a number of other mirrorless systems, the growth of the large sensor compact sector, and even at the lower end many seem satisfied with their mobile phone cameras. The fundamental advantage of mFT is size and weight if you remove that particular criteria it becomes easy to get more for your money {regarding image quality at least}.

I am not too surprised as in the last year or so there have been some excellent DSLR cameras especially from Nikon with excellent class leading sensor performance in all ranges from the D5200 –D7100-D600-D800-D800E-D4, Canon though their APS cameras have not exactly been  revolutionary, the have also done well with their FF models. I firmly believe that sooner or later mirrorless will dominate the market, the difference with some here is that I do not think it will be mFT that inherits the earth. The on-going losses of Olympus and Panasonic imaging departments in what many were promoting as a supposed boom time in mFT sales says quite a bit. At least to those of us who do not cite Flickr groups as a source of sales data

It is rather amusing that the same people who jumped on every tiny snippet of positive data { all sourced from the same data sets these numbers represent] who were spouting the old DSLR's are dead routine , have trouble accepting these numbers

Jim

Hi Jim,

I think your assessment is spot on. Results for the the most recent quarter (and fiscal year) should be out in the next week or two. CIPA data suggest that the news won't be good, but we can hope for some positive surprises.

Mike

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,800Gear list
Like?
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 2, 2013

This is all good, knowledgeable discussion. Very pleasing to see. And interesting to see that with the corrected figures, CSC retained parity with DSLRs.

The point about smartphones is well made. I wonder whether smartphones (and tablets) are the "new chocolate"? It is well documented that in economic downturns, chocolate either holds up or improves its position. Why? Because it is the luxury everyone can afford. Instead of taking that holiday, people stay home and have some chocolates. Chocolate is the relatively inexpensive but appreciated gift. And so on.

People move from larger luxuries to small luxuries; from large discretionary purchases to smaller discretionary purchases.

Smart phones could fit into this category. Instead of a new camera and/or computer, you buy a smart phone.

An additional factor affecting the downturn in camera sales in the USA might be lack of new equipment announcements in the period. With this in mind, it will be interesting to see the 2013 Q2 figures.

MichaelKJ wrote:

Eamon Hickey wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

So instead of raw figures, perhaps we can see revenue? My guess is, it won't reflect nearly as much of a dip, if any at all, due to the fact that, while fewer units were shipped, they were, on the average, more high end bodies and lenses, because there are a lot more of both now than there were a year ago.

CIPA also provides revenue numbers. Revenues for mirrorless ILC cameras shipped in Q1 2013 were 82% of revenues for the same period in 2012, so about 18% lower.

It turns out that's about the same as the drop in units shipped. I noticed that the units shipped figure Mr. Hogan was using for Q1 2012 wasn't correct -- he has since updated his original article to reflect that.

Using the correct figures, mirrorless ILC units shipped in Q1 2013 were about 81.5% of units shipped for the same period in 2012. So about 19% lower.

Thanks for catching this. Perhaps Thom should write a companion article about the drop in DSLR sales on bythom.com

Price per unit was essentially unchanged (up less than 1%): 33,056 yen in the first quarter of 2012 and 33,297 in 2013.

For DSLRs, price per unit increased 5%: from 38,182 yen to 40,279.

That's a more modest decline, and slightly less than the decline for DSLRs (although the difference isn't significant, in my view). With the corrected figures, it strengthens my feeling that the cause is probably mostly slack economic conditions in much of the world, rather than anything specific about the mirrorless camera business.

I think you are probably right, although some of it could reflect more people relying on their smartphones.  Smartphone sales have continued to rise during the recession, so buyers may only have sufficient disposable income to upgrade their phones.

So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
MichaelKJ
Like?
Re: n=5 and some perspective over 10 years
In reply to Jorginho, May 2, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

If we had 15months, n would be 15. Still...we have only one motnh of:

arpil, may, june, july, august, september in it

In quarters n=5. Good luck with statistical signifcance.

I guess you also think 60 consecutive months of data would also be meaningless because n=5 for each month

Sample sizes of 30 have low statistical power and are likely to result in Type II errors (failure to reject the null hypothesis when there is a real difference).  Based on your logic, companies shouldn't be bothered by 4 or 5 consecutive years of declining sales--Never mind that the company might go bankrupt and investors lose billions of dollars.

And without that AND any background on why it the numbers are down in Q1 2013, we can say nothing to the relevance of it.

Some people here seem eager to do so or they tell me that others take these numbers serious. I am not saying you should not take them serious. You should if it is your interest or your livelihood depends on it. And you should come up with answers to questions, not assumptions.

So I'll await that and will not opionate on something I have little knowledge about other than 5 figures.

I suppose you also think the following data are meaningless and that Mr. Jarraud was foolish to have expressed concern about global warming.

The World Meteorological Agency said in annual climate report Thursday the years from 2001 to 2012 were all among the top 13 warmest on record. ...WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud says "sustained warming of the lower atmosphere is a worrisome sign" of global warming despite La Nina

http://www.kwtx.com/weather/headlines/2012-Was-Ninth-Hottest-Year-On-Record-205780981.html

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, May 3, 2013

I have never taken a "Keeper Picture" that I wanted to print or keep for as a "Keep for Life" type of picture. Cell phone images are still pictures you email to people to view on very small, low resolution cell phones or face book type web site. Any image I plan to keep for the rest of my life or make a print at 8.5x11 or larger is taken with a real camera that does not make phone calls. Sorry for being so old school, but that is just my opinion.

YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, May 3, 2013

I will pull yr reply apart this evening.

MichaelKJ
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, May 3, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

I will pull yr reply apart this evening.

While you at it, you might want to comment on the BCN data for April's ILC unit sales in Japan (the country where mirrorless has achieved the most popularity).

Canon: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th (EOS-M black).

Nikon: 2nd, 6th, 7th, 11th and 12th.

Panasonic:  30th (black GX-1 single kit lens), 37th (white kit lens GF5), 57th (white double kit lens GF5), 86th (black G5 double kit) and 94th (black GF5 single kit lens).  GH3s were 132nd (body only), 171st (with 12-35) and 219th (14-140).

Olympus: 10th (E-PL3 silver double kit), 25th (E-PL5 white double kit), 26th (E-PL5 silver double kit), 36th (E-PM2 white kit lens), and 39th (E-PL3 white kit lens). OM-Ds were 69th (black kit) and 84th (silver kit).

EOS-M (blue) was 16th and EOS-M (white) was 17th.  Thus, three of the four best selling mirrorless camera configurations in Japan in April were EOS-Ms.

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, May 3, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

Agree and this is the kind of idea that Thom was discussing in one of his articles about the "value", which was discussed with the usual "heat" in another thread.

With Canon and Nikon each introducing their own mirrorless systems, however immature these products are from the m43 crowd's perspectives, they take away a lot of the customers from m4/3.  Many people like to have consistency in their camera system so, for example, they just need one work flow to handle all the images taken by cameras using different sensors.  For the P&S upgraders, there is always the perception that N and C are the major players in photography and that SONY must be pretty good too b/c they are known to make fabulous TVs and other electronics.  All of this can affect m4/3's sale, unless P and O start to build on the strength of the system that they can offer not only small camera bodies with DSLR-like IQ, but smaller lenses, flash, etc to result in an overall small and yet excellent camera system.  They have to compete on features and quality while at the same time bringing the price down, either by themselves or by third party lens manufactures.  High quality walk around lenses should be priced around $200-300 to be attractive.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Or, maybe this is why!
In reply to Grobb, May 3, 2013

tron555 wrote:

Its because people thinking about getting a m4/3 camera and come across a post like this: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51378681 That entire thread is all about people trying to figure out which apertures and focal lengths each of their very expensive lenses take sharp images?!?! It seems like you can’t get a good current m4/3 camera, buy 2 good lenses (short/long) and get sharp images from corner to corner. It seems from reading that entire thread that you need at least 4-5 expensive lenses to cover all your needs. Is it possible some people are coming to the conclusion that sure, you can spend $4-600 on a very good m4/3 camera, BUT you need to spend at least another $1-1,500 (or more) on an entire arsenal of specialized lenses?

It is very expensive for any camera systems to have lenses that are sharp edge to edge wide open, and it gets worst and very expensive as the lens gets bigger to cover a bigger sensor.

m4.3 has many good if not outstanding small and relatively inexpensive lenses, if you shop carefully.  Panasonic 20/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8 are two very good examples.  For a 10x ultra zoom, the Panasonic 14-140 is one of the best for any camera system, and for ultra wide zoom, the 9-18 from Olympus is pretty good too, considering its size.  However if you do not value the size of the gear, the mirroless systems, whether from m/43 or others, are more expensive to own.  The way I look at it is how much one needs to spend to get a few "walk around" lenses.  For FF owners, a 50/1.8 lens can be have for <$200, for APS-C, a 35/1.8 lens is around $200-250.  For m4/3, it is $350 for the 20/1.7.  The lens price can be lower if you factor in Sigma's offer, however, as its 19/2.8 hits the magic number of $200.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
YouDidntDidYou
Like?
Re: MFT shipments down
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 4, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Thom Hogan has an article on CIPA mirrorless shipments

Here are the quarter by quarter numbers:

• Q1 2012: 1,043,846 units
  • Q2 2012: 882,783 units
  • Q3 2012: 876,919 units
  • Q4 2012: 1,456,054 units
  • Q1 2013: 603,532 units

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/mirrorless-shipments-down.html

Looking back at various graphs/figures for 2010,2011 and 2012 broken down by months there appears to be a regular decrease in sales/shipments in all mounts and brands in mid-December, January and early February which quickly recovers in late February early March (some mounts/brands the recovery is higher and others lower).

YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to G1Houston, May 4, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

Agree and this is the kind of idea that Thom was discussing in one of his articles about the "value", which was discussed with the usual "heat" in another thread.

With Canon and Nikon each introducing their own mirrorless systems, however immature these products are from the m43 crowd's perspectives, they take away a lot of the customers from m4/3.  Many people like to have consistency in their camera system so, for example, they just need one work flow to handle all the images taken by cameras using different sensors.  For the P&S upgraders, there is always the perception that N and C are the major players in photography and that SONY must be pretty good too b/c they are known to make fabulous TVs and other electronics.  All of this can affect m4/3's sale, unless P and O start to build on the strength of the system that they can offer not only small camera bodies with DSLR-like IQ, but smaller lenses, flash, etc to result in an overall small and yet excellent camera system.  They have to compete on features and quality while at the same time bringing the price down, either by themselves or by third party lens manufactures.  High quality walk around lenses should be priced around $200-300 to be attractive.

In the United Kingdom  Micro Four Thirds was taken up by a lot of bridge cameras as well as point and shoot upgraders and DSLR owners wanting an additional/replacement system.
DSLR owners who have bought into micro four thirds have done so because they weren't getting any or enough real use out of their aging and expensive DSLRs, that they perceived (rightly or wrongly) as difficult to use.
Most bridge camera owners who have come to micro four thirds have done so because they have outgrown their bridge cameras and want more and because bridge cameras are now less visibly marketed and I imagine being produced in smaller quantities (bridge cameras have traditionally done very well in the UK especially Fuji, ,Panny,  Olympus, Sony, and Nikon in that order I think).
Point and Shot  owners because have come to micro four thirds for better quality, control and aspiration.
Premium Point and Shot upgraders have come to mirrorless for more creative control.

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, May 4, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Hi Michael

Jim

i've watched this thread with great amusement, it seems all manufacturers will be having a tough year regardless of system type. The twisting of the figures to suit viewpoints is even funnier, a bit like watching an England match in the pub were we lose to the Germans by penalties, most of us just shrug have another beer and talk about something else, some get aggressive and can't accept what has just happened and go on endlessly that England in reality won the match but were robbed!. It looks tough going for manufacturers this year, lets hope they all make it through.

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
YouDidntDidYou
Like?
Seasonal fluctuation for all... revenues down the same as units
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 4, 2013

The current Mirrorless share of the interchangeable market in Japan is 49.4%....not bad in a little over 4 years?
Re: The Canon EOS M The Future of EOS M [CR1]http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/the-future-of-eos-m-cr1/  "Spluttered out of the gate
The Canon EOS M system hasn’t been the sales success Canon had hoped. Bad press about the autofocus and lack of lenses are probably big reasons why. There’s also a feeling Canon isn’t totally committed to the mirrorless market, as the segment hasn’t really been a dominant player in the United States, like it has in parts of Asia...."
Micro Four Thirds is the top selling mount in Japan.

illy
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, May 4, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

G1Houston wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

In the United Kingdom  Micro Four Thirds was taken up by a lot of bridge cameras as well as point and shoot upgraders and DSLR owners wanting an additional/replacement system.
DSLR owners who have bought into micro four thirds have done so because they weren't getting any or enough real use out of their aging and expensive DSLRs, that they perceived (rightly or wrongly) as difficult to use.
Most bridge camera owners who have come to micro four thirds have done so because they have outgrown their bridge cameras and want more and because bridge cameras are now less visibly marketed and I imagine being produced in smaller quantities (bridge cameras have traditionally done very well in the UK especially Fuji, ,Panny,  Olympus, Sony, and Nikon in that order I think).
Point and Shot  owners because have come to micro four thirds for better quality, control and aspiration.
Premium Point and Shot upgraders have come to mirrorless for more creative control.

i still see more bridge cameras than mirrorless in the UK although their presence compared to last year seems larger, the only time i have  seen quite a few mirrorless users was in Thailand in March, there was also lots of iPads being used but the smart phone being used more than anything.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to illy, May 4, 2013

I could post plenty of pictures of wedding guests with Micro Four Thirds cameras from the UK and post link's to other UK wedding photographer's websites/posts which show their wedding guests with Micro Four Thirds Cameras.
Bridge cameras haven't been very actively marketed in the UK for the last 2 years.

illy
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, May 4, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

I could post plenty of pictures of wedding guests with Micro Four Thirds cameras from the UK and post link's to other UK wedding photographer's websites/posts which show their wedding guests with Micro Four Thirds Cameras.
Bridge cameras haven't been very actively marketed in the UK for the last 2 years.

i could show pictures of lots of Dslr users with big lenses........

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads