Fuji Prices Are Too High.

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
mustafa604
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 28, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

I agree with you. i wanted the XE-1 so bad and watch the prices everyday for it to go down and still $1399 . it has focus problems so it shouldnt be that expensive but people still buy it. so i end up buying a sony nex 6 cause i got tired of waiting and i knew the price wouldnt go down before my trip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

I just bought an X-Pro1 with the 35/1.4. My pusher had the body and lens as a package for what I thought was a fair enough price. Life is too short to worry about if the thing was a little too expensive or not. I wanted it enough at the price that was asked that I decided to buy it. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. At some point, it will be superseded, and the price will inevitably drop, as it will then be yesterdays news.

I'm sure you will get your wish eventually, and you will be able to buy an X-Pro1 for a grand. Meanwhile, those of us who own it now are enjoying it now.

As an aside, I have yet to have a beef with the auto focus. Perhaps because I didn't know the AF didn't work, I haven't found out that it doesn't work.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

I don't think i need to take economics classes for this either

You are expecting people on different parts of a demand curve to agree on the value of a product.

Yet you assert that you do not need an introduction to economics.

You might want to look up two fellas called Dunning and Kruger.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Wait for new model to come out.

If you want a cheaper camera, wait for the new model to come out. The older model will drop in price.

JJ1983
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

So, buy a Nikon and learn how to post process... Don't complain about not being able to afford stuff, that is not the producers fault.

Father Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009Gear list
Like?

Many people in the marketplace seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Father Anderson's gear list:Father Anderson's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Jan Erik Stokke
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to Father Anderson, Apr 28, 2013

There were m43, NEX and Samsung. So Fujifilm did a wise descision entering this market with higher quality lenses, cameras that operate more like traditional cameras than computers, all to attract the enthusiast part of the mirrorless segment.

It seems they have a success with their strategy.

I would really like to get the 14mm lens. I would really like to get it for half the price. Would I like them to produce a mediocre lens for half the price - no.

Wheatfield
Like?
In reply to Jan Erik Stokke, Apr 28, 2013

Jan Erik Stokke wrote:

There were m43, NEX and Samsung. So Fujifilm did a wise descision entering this market with higher quality lenses, cameras that operate more like traditional cameras than computers, all to attract the enthusiast part of the mirrorless segment.

I would really like to get the 14mm lens. I would really like to get it for half the price. Would I like them to produce a mediocre lens for half the price - no.

I'm thinking the 14mm and the 56mm f/1.2 wwill be a nice kit. I'm sure the 56mm will not be a budget lens either.

Stuff costs money, good stuff costs more money, really good stuff costs even more money.

DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,978
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield, Apr 28, 2013

If only it were that simple. There is plenty of good stuff that is cheaper than you might expect and plenty of bad stuff that costs a lot.

-- hide signature --
shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jan Erik Stokke, Apr 29, 2013

Jan Erik Stokke wrote:

Interestingly enough, the Fuji lenses act more like computers than any other lens I've used. Sure there is an aperture ring, but it moves nothing, rather just communicates in 1's and 0's what the CPU should do. Same with focus. The lenses are more computerised than any other modern SLR lens which is a shame. I wish Fuji would abandon the SLR design, use non-coupled aperture rings (real mechanical stuff inside) and build helicoid focus screws. Of course, doing so would mean much more expensive lenses, more along the lines of zeiss/leica.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123
Like?
In reply to shigzeo, Apr 29, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

18-55 lens $500.

I agree that they are a bit expensive, but I'm glad. There is a problem in the world today: everything has to be the same price. The niche for well-made, quality design worked products is dwindling in favour of bang for buck and that's it.

I am not sure the Fuji X series is THAT well made, but it assumes a different niche than the typical cheap mirroless camera and I'm all for that. Otherwise, we have a blanket of Toyota style rip off cameras made for one thing and one thing only: cheapness.

Choice and selection are very important. If it is too expensive, don't buy it, but please, don't push Fujifilm to cheapen the X series by commoditising it to the extent of point and shoots and other mirroless. I'd rather they establish a price, keep the price even until the next model is released, and make that price high to keep out the riffraff that only buy cheap and complain whenever something doesn't fit their definition of price/performance while they shoot their cats and grass back yards.

This. Nailed it.
Plenty of cheap plastic crap out there. I'll gladly pay extra for quality & design. I'll reward the company putting out small cameras that look & feel like old Contax film cameras. I'm buying what fuji is selling, all day long. You can have your nikons or NEX or whatever else your trying to compare their prices to.

*as for the "poor auto-focus"... lol- that a user issue. The xpro-1 I used for 2 days was plenty sufficient, even in very dark surroundings.
It's not a speed demon, but then again some of us don't need a speed demon to nail shots...

samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123
Like?
In reply to samhain, Apr 29, 2013

And lets not forget this is a first generation camera, designed from scratch. All new tooling, material allocation, research, design, etc. it's worth every penny imo.

Wheatfield
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Apr 29, 2013

DMillier wrote:

If only it were that simple. There is plenty of good stuff that is cheaper than you might expect and plenty of bad stuff that costs a lot.

You aren't talking about cameras and lenses. Perhaps you should be posting in the OT forum.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 29, 2013

I've never really understood price comparisons. If a camera system fits my needs and budget, then it works for me. So far, the CF system does both. Can I get 'better' cameras for the same money? Sure, according to some metrics. But I'd be giving up other preferences in the meantime.

I'd love if Fuji kept the same build and image quality, while improving focusing speed and lowering prices. But is that super realistic to expect? Probably not. Fact is, they need to make profit, if they cut into margins too much, they can't offer us anything. Maybe we'll see the market drive prices lower, maybe not. If Fuji doesn't fit your budget, get NEX, MFT, or some of the smaller DSLRs. There's A LOT of great options out there.
--
http://asylum-photo.com

Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
DTwigg
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to shigzeo, Apr 29, 2013

If that's what you want then buy Leica. It has all the construction features you want. Oh, yea. They cost even more than the Fujifilms.

Heinlein had the answer: TANSTAAFL...There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Dave

DMillier
Like?
In reply to DTwigg, Apr 29, 2013

I bought a new quick release clamp for my tripod head recently, all the way from the US to UK.

It is a remarkable piece of engineering, it combines an Arca-swiss type vise mechanism with cut outs for Manfrotto RC2 plates.  It allows RC2 plates to use the same vise mechanism as the arca swiss plates. Beautifully made and finished, too. As I have arca swiss and RC2 plates it is a straight swap for the stock clamp on my Manfrotto ballhead.

The price?  GBP £19.

Now that's what I call a free lunch.

-- hide signature --
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of prices, this site has probable prices listed at $1,500 for pre-order of Zeiss lenses. That makes fuji glass seem rather cheap, I mean, inexpensive.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
DMillier
Like?
In reply to samhain, Apr 29, 2013

I don't think Fuji are expensive compared to NEX, m4/3, Samsung, I think all the mirrorless brands are overpriced compared to DSLRs.   DSLRs are much more mature and even the entry level models are faster, more responsive and more bang for your buck.

What you get with mirrorless is less camera for a lot more money.  You get a reduction in bulk and weight but despite much less complex mechanics you pay a lot more.  I think the main reason for that is that DSLR production is mature enough to have shaken out the production costs and commoditised the cameras. Mirrorless are still new enough and quirky enough to persuade people to pay extra but over time they will drop in price. Incl Fuji.

-- hide signature --
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: It DOES Make A Difference!
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 30, 2013

I don't think Fuji is aiming their cameras at the people who buy Sony NEX's or lower-end, plastic DSLR's from Nikon or Canon.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
DMillier
Like?
Re: It DOES Make A Difference!
In reply to RichRMA, Apr 30, 2013

There seem to be two separate debates that are getting jumbled.

1. Should people complain about high prices rather than earn more/take their business somewhere else

2. Objectively, is there anything about  the cameras that forces Fuji to charge more?

On the first, it's just economics. Fuji will charge the maximum they can for their gear while selling the quantities they are targeting. If they price too high, no sales.  If that happens they do something about it or get out of the market.

On the second, more interesting question, it's about whether there is something special about the product or whether people have been fooled into thinking it's special.

The Xe-1 seems a delightful camera to me but I can't see anything about it that isn't standard technology in the mirrorless world. The rest is nice looks and old fashioned controls that some like and others don't.

The X Pro 1 has the unusual viewfinder and you'd expect to pay extra for that.

The xtrans stuff is a bit of a red herring because it isn't really that radical, doesn't really deliver that much extra and has some issues for raw converters.  In the long run it might be an advantage or it might just be more trouble than it's worth.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads