Fuji Prices Are Too High.

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,593
Like?
All mirrorless cameras are overpriced
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 27, 2013

Compared to much more complex   Dslrs you get  less for your money. You can get an entry level dslr for very little money, an equivalent mirrorless costs twice the price for a siMpler body. Nex,  m4/3, canon m, fuji x, pricing is all too High, they ought to br cheaper than dslrs by a lot.

Manufacturers are milking a new market while they caN.  Eventually the market will saturate and competition will force down prices.

Galleries and website: http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmillier/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
Economics 101

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

I'm guessing you skipped basic Economics or Business classes in high school.

What you are saying will make no difference to anyone because Fuji already knows there are lots of people out there just like you. All you are doing is putting your hand up to the question "Who would like one of our cameras but just feels they are just a bit too expensive?"

Basic idea: if the XPro1 cost $10, half the planet would get one. If they cost $50,000 then only the one camera-crazy billionaire would buy it. At every point in between there is a number of people who would buy it at any given price. What you are telling us is that the price you would pay is less than the current market price. Everyone who has a passing familiarity with the most basic principles of supply and demand understands that there will be people who won't feel that their product is worth the asking price.

This is why companies do market research, to try to find out what the exact numbers at each level are so that they can make decisions about how many to produce and what price to sell them. They know that you exist, so simply telling them about your emotional state on a camera forum makes no difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_curve

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

Really? Compared to what?

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
chris24net
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?

The D7100 is $1200 and the 17-55 is $1400 for a total of $2600.

The OM-D is $1100 and the 12-35 is $1300 for a total of $2400.

The Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 is $1400.

Tell me how it's overpriced again?

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,965Gear list
Like?
Exactly
In reply to CraigArnold, Apr 27, 2013

It's all am out the market.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
liquid stereo
Like?
Because I have only $120
In reply to chris24net, Apr 27, 2013

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

If it is more than I want to spend then it is over-priced

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,820Gear list
Like?

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

D7100 is $1169, Nikon 17-55 2.8 $700 (just bought the lens for my S5) a total of $1869, this combo is AMAZING and not to mention damm bloddy blazing fast and accurate.

I am not interested in X-E1, but the XPRO1.  $1100 plus $600 for lens $1700, yeah that's is over priced for the poor AF that comes with it 

I don't think i need to take economics classes for this either

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?

LOL..  you are funny man.  How do you get to speak about autofocus on a camera you don't have in your hands.  I read all the stuff on here too.  I bought an X Pro 1 and it was delivered (body only) last Wednesday, the lens Thursday. On delivery I updated the firmware to the latest 2.03.  Thursday I shot inside my apartment with most lighting down low or off.  As fast or faster than any Canon I have owned and that includes Rebels and the 5DMKII.

This morning I went out to a nearly park in relatively early light....  bang bang fast AF and dead accurate.

Perhaps one should know what they talk about before they talk!

You have no idea what you are missing.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Spade357
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

D7100 is $1169, Nikon 17-55 2.8 $700 (just bought the lens for my S5) a total of $1869, this combo is AMAZING and not to mention damm bloddy blazing fast and accurate.

I am not interested in X-E1, but the XPRO1.  $1100 plus $600 for lens $1700, yeah that's is over priced for the poor AF that comes with it 

Poor AF. So uh, why are you still posting in the Fuji forum? It seems to me you wanted the Fuji pretty bad, but can't afford so you just whine to death. There are cheaper cameras made specially for you so why not go to those forums and fine something that has super fast AF cameras that you can actually afford? Why are you still wasting time and bandwidth here? Oh, so sorry, I forgot, you wanted the Fuji very bad...awww don't we all? Here's what I would do, wait 3 years and you will get your wish.

DMillier
Like?
Re: Economics 101
In reply to CraigArnold, Apr 27, 2013

Perhaps the OP feels that the Fujis are overpriced for the same reason I feel all mirrorless cameras are overpriced:  they cost less to make than DSLRs, aren't as good as DSLRs but generally cost considerably more than the first couple of rungs of DSLRS?

I have a NEX 3 and NEX 5n and a Panny G3 and used to own a G1 and a GF1.  I think they are all decent cameras, with the G3 the best of them but none of them are as all round competent as a cheap DSLR like a 450D (which I also have).

I understand the appeal of small interchangeable lens cameras and I'm fine with a decent EVF but I do feel the mirrorless segment is still a generation to two away from reaching maturity - and that will include bring prices down to at least that of comparable DSLRs.

I'm sure mirroreless will eventually become commodities like DSLRs and then price will have to reflect the spec and performance of the camera rather than the fact that "it's one of the those new and interesting mirrorless thingies so I don't mind paying over the odds".

I feel the same about "high end compacts". I have an X10 which I consider a beautiful camera but I felt that at over £500 it was too expensive. A small sensor compact that costs more than most DSLRs + kit lenses? Really?  The x10 design makes it the best digital compact I've seen by a mile but it is still a long way from perfect and very much overpriced.  I got mine at the firesale price after the X20 was announced and I feel that at that price it was an excellent buy.  I could have paid the full price but it didn't feel value for money to me. I sensed an element of "rip off". Great little camera though.

I'm interested in the X1 Pro and the XE1 but for all their virtues, they still seem quite high priced for what you get and not as polished as you would want for that money...

-- hide signature --
DMillier
Like?

Compare the price to a D3200.  Which is the more competent camera?

I'm not knocking the Fuji, it's on my wishlist, but it doesn't for me have much sense of bang-for-buck.  It is uniquely styled amongst digital cameras but it's basically a nice looking but rather sluggish 16MP APS-C model.

Maybe in a generation or two, it will have improved to the point it is actually a better performing camera than DSLRs  - but as it stands it is a very desirable cameras if it were cheaper than DSLRs but at the full price it is a desirable camera that costs more than you would expect for the components.

If you have enough money that you don't care, that's fine but if buying it means you have to sacrifice something else then it is in competition with the something else and needs to demonstrate decent value for money. All the mirrorless cameras come with a nagging feeling of I-paid-too-much-for-this at the moment.  I'm sure that will change as the initial enthusiasm for mirrorless turns to commodity pricing when the market saturates/

-- hide signature --
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

No one has ever said nor contended that the AF on the X Pro-1 approaches that of a DSL-R.  Some users have had no issues photographing their children with the X series while others have.

You're saying that compared to a D7100 and 17-55 that the X Pro-1 and 18-55 is over priced because of poor AF compared to a DSL-R.  In that case some one would have to have their head examined to spend $12,000 for a Leica M and 50mm f1.4 Summilux.  After all, it has no AF at all.  And lord knows that before AF was invented there were no pictures ever taken of anything that moved.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Oh no, please don't confuse this 'discussion' by inserting facts.  You're ruining everything. Facts? We don't need no stink'n facts.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
framus
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

This is not the camera you are looking for.

Fujifilm X100S
framus
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Apr 27, 2013

DMillier wrote:

I'm not knocking the Fuji, it's on my wishlist, but it doesn't for me have much sense of bang-for-buck.  It is uniquely styled amongst digital cameras but it's basically a nice looking but rather sluggish 16MP APS-C model.

Maybe in a generation or two, it will have improved to the point it is actually a better performing camera than DSLRs  - but as it stands it is a very desirable cameras if it were cheaper than DSLRs but at the full price it is a desirable camera that costs more than you would expect for the components.

If you have enough money that you don't care, that's fine but if buying it means you have to sacrifice something else then it is in competition with the something else and needs to demonstrate decent value for money. All the mirrorless cameras come with a nagging feeling of I-paid-too-much-for-this at the moment.  I'm sure that will change as the initial enthusiasm for mirrorless turns to commodity pricing when the market saturates/

-- hide signature --

This is a reasonable analysis.

It is not exactly true for numerous X-series camera users who have switched from DSLR kits in favor of the Fuji cameras. In my case the X-pro1 is more fun to use than my Canon DSLR kit (most of which has now been liquidated). Competence covers a broad range of attributes.

It isn't just about the feeds and speeds.   

Fujifilm X100S
liquid stereo
Like?
Everyone misses the compact part
In reply to DMillier, Apr 27, 2013

DMillier wrote:

-- hide signature --

No amount of money can make a DSLR compact.

no camera is competent. It is competent in the hands of the user.

liquid stereo
Like?
Which part of "too high" is factual?
In reply to framus, Apr 27, 2013

framus wrote:

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Oh no, please don't confuse this 'discussion' by inserting facts.  You're ruining everything. Facts? We don't need no stink'n facts.

Please tell me what "too high" means. and please be factual.

chris24net
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 28, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

chris24net wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

The 17-55 is $1400 at B&H, Adorama and Amazon.  Which I guess means you bought yours used and even then got a great deal to get it for $700. Or you're lying.

If your willing to go used, you can get the X-E1 with 18-55 from Amazon on a Warehouse Deal for  $1000, $200 dollars less that what you said you'd be willing to pay for the lens and camera.

You can get a Warehouse Deal from Amazon on the XPro for $1000, what you said you'd be willing to pay for an XPro.

And before you jump in with, 'but I said what I'd be willing to pay for a NEW camera", warehouse deals from Amazon are about as safe as a used transaction gets.

So do you really want the camera or not?  Methinks not, that you really just like to complain and troll.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,513Gear list
Like?

i guess you need more direct competition.  So if another manufacture can do the same type of thing then you have competition and assuming its at a lower cost.

if all manufactures were still doing film cameras and Fuji could say we also have are are the only ones with a digital camera and so forth.

just saying I think there needs to be more DX type or full frame compacts. Maybe that is the future.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

I agree that they are a bit expensive, but I'm glad. There is a problem in the world today: everything has to be the same price. The niche for well-made, quality design worked products is dwindling in favour of bang for buck and that's it.

I am not sure the Fuji X series is THAT well made, but it assumes a different niche than the typical cheap mirroless camera and I'm all for that. Otherwise, we have a blanket of Toyota style rip off cameras made for one thing and one thing only: cheapness.

Choice and selection are very important. If it is too expensive, don't buy it, but please, don't push Fujifilm to cheapen the X series by commoditising it to the extent of point and shoots and other mirroless. I'd rather they establish a price, keep the price even until the next model is released, and make that price high to keep out the riffraff that only buy cheap and complain whenever something doesn't fit their definition of price/performance while they shoot their cats and grass back yards.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads