Fuji Prices Are Too High.

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
Lawliet
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 26, 2013

I agree. The prices are outrageous! I mean my phone already takes just as good a picture AND I can post it directly onto Facebook! And I mean seriously?! I get that these cameras are for hobbiest but they're not priced competitively at all! I can walk into best buy and get a digital camera for like 150 bucks now. And I'm talking brand name here. Like Samsung!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533
Like?
Re: It DOES Make A Difference!

i will take your word on the 1st part, thou I havent seen any sign myself that any camera manufacturer ever frequents these pages. The only corporate presence that I have noticed has been the reps from B&H and Aldorama who both seem to be very helpful and responsive.

You and I are in total agreement with your last paragraph. If an item is beyond what I have budgeted for it, or if I feel that it is over priced I will not buy it. Perhaps if more folks were like us manufacturers and retailers might become more, shall we say "customer oriented".

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Captain Tom L
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

Hi Mr. Mejia,
It is only fair to say affordability is relative. IMO, X-Pro and X-E are certainly not cheap when there are competitions like NEX. On the other hand, the X's are seemingly a bargain compared to Leica in terms of price. We're talking about price only -- features and sensor size are also major factors.

Most importantly, I found it ridiculous that some people wanted the X's to do-it-all, which isn't necessary what Fuji has in mind. I will say this loud and clear -- "The X's are not meant to replace but to complement D/SLR." The X-Pro1 attempts to mimic the experience of shooting a rangefinder, and this either 1) puts off users who can't adjust to this or 2) challenges users who only previous shot D/SLR. Bottom line is, I would consider the X-Pro1 a different type of camera -- one that requires fundamental knowledge, skills, and creativity. On the other hand, the X-E1 never appeals to me because of its lack of OVF. I would recommend you trying them extensively and you decide whether the price is justified. As of today, I still think X's are expensive but not necessarily overpriced.

Instead of investing in the Fuji X-series, an alternative is to buy Nikon bodies. They would definitely have faster AF and you would not need to buy additional lenses. As for Fuji colour, you may consider various film simulation software.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:..

....but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.

For the IQ they deliver I'd say the entire "x" range of cams are exceptional value.

What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus,

You don't own the camera yet you say the AF is "significantly slow". Strange. I've owned my X-E1 for five months and I find the AF perfectly fine.

But granted everyone wants things cheaper. I'd love to get a Jaguar car at a Ford car price but there are pretty good reasons why I can't, and yes there may even be some Fords that are faster than a Jaguar.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Apr 26, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

....but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.

For the IQ they deliver I'd say the entire "x" range of cams are exceptional value.

You don't own the camera yet you say the AF is "significantly slow". Strange. I've owned my X-E1 for five months and I find the AF perfectly fine.

But granted everyone wants things cheaper. I'd love to get a Jaguar car at a Ford car price but there are pretty good reasons why I can't, and yes there may even be some Fords that are faster than a Jaguar.

Well, they sure are not for fast moving kids, and AF has a hard time locking in low light.  Am I wrong Billy?

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
TexasBuyer
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: "Fuji Prices Are Too High." -- Customer Services costs money too. . .
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 26, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Quality costs.

Not to mention Fuiji's great customer service!  I recently sent my X-E1 in for a warranty repair.  Fuji fixed it very quickly and mailed it back to me via FedEx Next Day Air!  How's that for service!

nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?

If the prices are too high, then don't buy Fuji.  Buy another brand.  There are plenty of others.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Apr 26, 2013

nawknai wrote:

If the prices are too high, then don't buy Fuji.  Buy another brand.  There are plenty of others.

Exactly. Price and value are two different things. Just buy something you will like enough to not complain about. I used to lust for a Leica but could not afford one. Then came Fuji, an incredible value with exceptional Leica-like glass. We have choices. i made mine and it seems most Fuji owners love theirs and often mention how it rekindled thier love of photography.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 27, 2013

If you consider comparable products, Fuji's prices are actually quite low for what you get. The aging 7D (originally sold for $1700) sells for $100 less than the $1400 XP1. The Sony NEX7 + OVF + EVF will cost you the same and your viewfinders are hotshoe mounted. It's not even a fair comparison. When it comes to glass you're getting top notch Fujinon lenses for a fraction of the price of Canon and Nikon's pro glass. Weather it's Fuji pushing to get their new product line out or what the market can handle, Fuji's cameras are priced on the lower end of the spectrum and their lenses are a steal.

Of course all of us wouldn't mind paying less and despite their value, they are not exactly cheap. So for all us who want Fuji colors and quality for less, look to Ebay. I wasn't using my 60mm so I sold it for $450. Someone got a great deal!

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,993Gear list
Like?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 27, 2013

I think you're right: Fuji prices are too high.

Pretty good cameras and lenses though.  My X-E1 with 18-55 zoom is the cat's meow, and I think you're missing out on some fun!

I did see the D7100 review here on DPR today and it's nice, but a monster compared to my X-E1, even more so compared to my X10.  Depends what you want in a camera of course.

Sony Nex6 is small and good, too, but the DPR resolution test shows plainly the moire you will have to put up with.  X-trans is virtually immune to this.  D7100 isn't, but that moire will be smaller...

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
nonicks
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?

Price is not too high. May be just a little higher than I wanted to see. However I really admire the IQ, design and handling of the fuji X camera and lenses. the lens quality, color rendition is nothing much less than the L lenses in the equvalent focal range to my eyes although the AF is not DSLR speed.

The overall package is still significantly cheaper than the DSLR package.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

We'd all like to pay less, in an ideal world.

But we don't live in an ideal world, and good optics aren't cheap. Every cent I spent on my 18-55mm was absolutely worth it. Best lens I have ever owned.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
nplanet
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to Iyhel Mnemeltarma, Apr 27, 2013

My problem with Fuji cameras is that their price drops significantly few months after the announcement. The X-Pro1 is now $300 off and I paid the full price last year. You can save even more when you purchase a lens.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Well, they sure are not for fast moving kids, and AF has a hard time locking in low light.  Am I wrong Billy?

Well maybe for you but not for me. My X-E1 locks on without issue in low light. Even in candle light, no probs. Could it be faster? I guess so but I'm pretty slow and steady at the best of times so for me it is perfectly fine.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
DTwigg
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Beat Traveller, Apr 27, 2013

I learned to take pictures with a manual 35mm SLR. When I remember what that was like, then hear all the people whining about how terrible Fuji's auto focus is, I get kind of fed up. Good grief people, be thankful for what you have...and if you can't afford it then work harder and save some more so you can afford it. You really aren't entitled to everything you want and certainly not the same day you decide you want it.

Dave

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?

They can keep high prices if we are buying them.

Sure anybody will like if the price is lower but if the downside of this would be lower quality (and that is certainly the case) then no. I don't want a plastic fuji x100 even if it keeps same nice colors.

It is more expensive than most but also it usually gets more (at least for me) mileage. The x100 I had for almost two years was used more than any of my other camera.

Also there is a bonus of this fuji. It totally cooled any appetite for a new camera. So I bought x100  and no matter what other camera I tried I never had urge to buy it. (well until xpro came)

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
sik_photos
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Apr 27, 2013

Mac computers are too expensive too. So i just didn't buy one.

But mainly, discover the joy of abstinence. Abstain from being an early adopter. The camera that everyone thought was kick ass 2 years ago will today be 30-40% less.  Did everyone delete the digital files of all those photos taken 2 years ago with those terrible outdated cameras? Being behind the curve is what its at.

-- hide signature --

Is it your gear that has the limitations, or is it something else?

Keith Jefferies
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?

May I quote Oscar Wilde.

"A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing"

rjsam
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to LAbrewin, Apr 27, 2013

Buy used and you can afford it. I sold my xp1 for $825, 35mm for $475 and 1855 for $525.

Amazon sellsthe body used for less than $900.

George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High...it is all relative to where you are.
In reply to rjsam, Apr 27, 2013

Well it really depends which country you are in. The Fuji X-E1 body is selling for around A$899. With the 18-55mm kit as low as A$1100. The X-Pro1 body is selling for around A$1050 - these prices are all with genuine Fuji Australia warranty.

If you go grey then you can pick up a X-E1 body for as little as A$650.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads