Fuji Prices Are Too High.

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mistermejia Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Fuji Prices Are Too High.
3

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Casio Exilim EX-S5 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
obv Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.
2

I think you could have come up with a more subtle troll, for better results

 obv's gear list:obv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 5D Mark II +7 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Senior Member • Posts: 5,590
Fuji Can keep prices high
5

If I wanted what you want, I would get a Sony NEX. They have plenty of cheaper, average lenses.

The lenses for the x system are top draw and compare favourably to equivalent DSLR lenses. The 35mm in particular is stellar, approaching Leica levels of performance at 1/6 the cost. That's why the seem expensive.

Not sure why you think the xf lenses are poor wide open: the reverse is true.
--
http://sgoldswoblog.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: Fuji Can keep prices high

sgoldswo wrote:

If I wanted what you want, I would get a Sony NEX. They have plenty of cheaper, average lenses.

The lenses for the x system are top draw and compare favourably to equivalent DSLR lenses. The 35mm in particular is stellar, approaching Leica levels of performance at 1/6 the cost. That's why the seem expensive.

Not sure why you think the xf lenses are poor wide open: the reverse is true.
--
http://sgoldswoblog.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/

I never said "poor".  Lest softness wide open is what i have read in other places, and specifically towards the zoom 18-55, and yes, i have heard really really good things about the 35mm.  My issue with price is more towards the cameras.  You honestly don't think this bodies cost a bit too much?  If the prices were just right i would immediately go sell my Nikon stuff and move on.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.
3

obv wrote:

I think you could have come up with a more subtle troll, for better results

But i did made you look, didn't I??

If you don't like to participate with a better and less inorant comment as yours, then just move on.  To me it sounds like you DIDN'T even read what i wrote.  Troll???  Sheesh!

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

Hey,

better look up what was the cost of S5 when it was released

Give it some time.

Regards

JSTB Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

Price is always relevant to what one is willing to pay.  Is Leica over priced.  Some would say yes others would say no.

I paid a premium introductory price for my X Pro and I would do it again in second.  I have all the lenses with the 55-200 on order.  I also shoot Nikon (although I shoot is relative since the D700 is basically a paperweight since I got the Fuji) and I feel very certain the Fuji lenses are fantastic.  I'm not comparing them to the D series but the G series lenses.  The Fuji lenses are as good as the 24mm G, 35mm G, and 85mm G.  I also had but sold the 24-70 and 70-200 G's.  They are faster than the Fuji zooms, but weigh a lot more too.

I could not be happier with the upgrade on the X100.

The 18-55 is very fairly priced given it's performance.  I would venture to say that the "soft" people are the folks I see on this forum that shoot test charts in the dark or yarn balls.  I might try reading what some actual professional photographers say about the lens and look at their work unless you like taking pictures of brick walls.  I personally don't have time for that.

BTW-  I have an S5 Pro too.  Great camera.  I use it for portrait work.  It's probably the only reason I still have the Nikon.  I sure wish my X Pro lenses worked on it.

Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,972
Re: Fuji Can keep prices high

mistermejia wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

If I wanted what you want, I would get a Sony NEX. They have plenty of cheaper, average lenses.

The lenses for the x system are top draw and compare favourably to equivalent DSLR lenses. The 35mm in particular is stellar, approaching Leica levels of performance at 1/6 the cost. That's why the seem expensive.

Not sure why you think the xf lenses are poor wide open: the reverse is true.
--
http://sgoldswoblog.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/

I never said "poor".  Lest softness wide open is what i have read in other places, and specifically towards the zoom 18-55, and yes, i have heard really really good things about the 35mm.  My issue with price is more towards the cameras.  You honestly don't think this bodies cost a bit too much?  If the prices were just right i would immediately go sell my Nikon stuff and move on.

What difference will it make what I or you or anyone else think about the prices? They are what they are... I seriously doubt that a Fujifilm product/marketing manager will read this post and say "Oh my, we should lower the price of our cameras because there is this post on DPR". Do you really think that will happen? Seriously?

Fujifilm established the prices for thier cameras some time ago. People flocked to the stores and bought them, which pretty well established that they werent too far off in their pricing for the preceived value of the product, eh? If everyone would stop buying Fujifilm cameras then the price may fall, but from what I see of the number of posts here about all the new cameras being purchased then my guess is that most folks feel that the cameras represent good value.

Put it this way, I would rather spend $1400 on an X-Pro1 than $2000 on a dusty/oily D600 or $3000 on a D800 with focus issues.

So, if the purpose of your original post was to vent and let off steam, go ahead on, hope you feel better. If you think that you are actually going to change anything, then I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Have a nice day!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

obv Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

mistermejia wrote:

obv wrote:

I think you could have come up with a more subtle troll, for better results

But i did made you look, didn't I??

If you don't like to participate with a better and less inorant comment as yours, then just move on.  To me it sounds like you DIDN'T even read what i wrote.  Troll???  Sheesh!

I don't think you need to take it like this.

In addition to your taste for Fuji colours, compare to the competition, take into account not only the specs sheet and diagrams, but also build quality, service (most notably Fuji's responsiveness to address customers' concerns either via firmware or new versions of the cameras), and how the cameras generally match your shooting style...  And also the fact that Fuji needs to make some profit.

In short, I don't think it's fair to say they're overpriced.  Now, obviously, if they were all half their price, everybody here would definitely be quite pleased.

 obv's gear list:obv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 5D Mark II +7 more
LAbrewin
LAbrewin Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

I think you can get a brand new X-pro1 body only for $1100 on digitalrev, and even cheaper if you buy a "like new" model from amazon warehouse deals. The deals are out there if you look.

mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

JSTB wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Man, since i bought my S5 PRO a couple months ago, Comming from Nikon, my photos are just comming out differently with more life to them and i really really like Fuji's color output, and i can honestly say that i am keeping my S5, possibly forever.

But, i am also in a need for a second body with higher ISO capability for my low light shooting, I WANT to stay with Fuji and would like to get an X-PRO1, but honestly i think these cameras are still over priced, compared to what everyone else has.  What i mainly don't like is the significant slow auto focus, although i think i would probably get used to its AF limitations, but the prices are just killing me.  I am sorry, that's just my opinion.  Some people have already told me that their lenses are made out of metal, high quality and this and that, but those lenses are tiny and wide open they are not the greatest either, and i also think they are over priced.

I know many will start to jump on my for saying this, but wouldn't you guys preffer  that Fuji actually lowered their prices.  I know the X-PRO1 was selling at a much higher price originally, but i still think they just cost too much.  That's actually THE only thing preventing me from moving completely to Fuji.

I think the most i would pay for a X-PRO1 is around $999 new.

For an XE-1 i would probably pay $699 new.

18-55 lens $500.

Im i the only guy that think the prices are too high and will most of you here will defend those prices to remain high??  If this would be the case then might as well just buy the amazing and fast new D7100 for only $1199.

Price is always relevant to what one is willing to pay.  Is Leica over priced.  Some would say yes others would say no.

I paid a premium introductory price for my X Pro and I would do it again in second.  I have all the lenses with the 55-200 on order.  I also shoot Nikon (although I shoot is relative since the D700 is basically a paperweight since I got the Fuji) and I feel very certain the Fuji lenses are fantastic.  I'm not comparing them to the D series but the G series lenses.  The Fuji lenses are as good as the 24mm G, 35mm G, and 85mm G.  I also had but sold the 24-70 and 70-200 G's.  They are faster than the Fuji zooms, but weigh a lot more too.

I could not be happier with the upgrade on the X100.

The 18-55 is very fairly priced given it's performance.  I would venture to say that the "soft" people are the folks I see on this forum that shoot test charts in the dark or yarn balls.  I might try reading what some actual professional photographers say about the lens and look at their work unless you like taking pictures of brick walls.  I personally don't have time for that.

BTW-  I have an S5 Pro too.  Great camera.  I use it for portrait work.  It's probably the only reason I still have the Nikon.  I sure wish my X Pro lenses worked on it.

Yeah, can you imagine being able to use the same lenses on each body, that would have been fantastic!  As i have said, i really don't have a big problem with the lenses, but some people do complain saying they are a bit overpriced, not so much for the internal optics, but for the exterior feel and size itself.  I understand these hardware is compact, that's the whole point of it, that's why i want one to complement my S5, so the lenses price i really don't have a problem with, and is true what is said, "lenses are forever", but these bodies are not and i think they cost too much for what's already out there.

One thing is for sure, i am  leaning more towards Fuji, and yes, i might just have to wait for prices to go down, which i believe Fuji IS going to have to lower them if they want to sell more, based on the competition's prices.  I am glad you are liking your camera.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
David McGaughey Senior Member • Posts: 2,246
Duh

Would we prefer lower prices? Of course. Who wouldn't want to pay less? If cheap mirrorless stuff is what you are after, then m43/Samsung/Sony is the way to go. Plenty of bargains over there. If you are willing to pay more for higher quality, then Fuji becomes a possibility. Seriously. The Fuji stuff is better built and better optically than most. Fuji (so far) hasn't released any "consumer" lenses yet - which is the reverse of just about every other mirrorless competitor so far (e.g. Sony). m43 isn't immune to high prices either: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/H-HS35100

Oh, and you can get a new Fuji X-Pro1 for $1099:

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x-pro1/MTAwMDI1NA_A_A

mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

obv wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

obv wrote:

I think you could have come up with a more subtle troll, for better results

But i did made you look, didn't I??

If you don't like to participate with a better and less inorant comment as yours, then just move on.  To me it sounds like you DIDN'T even read what i wrote.  Troll???  Sheesh!

I don't think you need to take it like this.

In addition to your taste for Fuji colours, compare to the competition, take into account not only the specs sheet and diagrams, but also build quality, service (most notably Fuji's responsiveness to address customers' concerns either via firmware or new versions of the cameras), and how the cameras generally match your shooting style...  And also the fact that Fuji needs to make some profit.

In short, I don't think it's fair to say they're overpriced.  Now, obviously, if they were all half their price, everybody here would definitely be quite pleased.

Thanks obv, you are awesome.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Dietr Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Fuji Can keep prices high

I purchased my X-pro1 in February 2012.  I didn't receive it until May.  I knew that the price would come down significantly from the $1600 that I spent, but I was so excited I couldn't wait.  The new x-trans sensor seemed to promising, and I was elated with the results.  OF COURSE it cost more money for this technology.  And it will continue to cost more for a while, that is until other companies come up with a competing technology.  I for one am fine with it because it is that free market that encourages these geniuses to continue the innovation that we all enjoy.

As for Fuji glass.  I have four of their lenses, as well as several other lenses for SLR's.  They are no softer then the best glass that I have used from either Nikon or Canon.  In fact it is better than some of those offerings.  They even hold their own against lenses that are twice and three times the price Zeiss and dare I say even Leica.

As for the auto focus.  It sucked at first, but it was still better than using my Leica.  But now it is really quite responsive.  Maybe it is because I was using it when it first came out, but these days I am really quite pleased. Especially with the zoom.  Hopefully there is a focus peaking update coming.  If not....well then I will be dropping another huge dime on the X-Pro2, because frankly I have come to love the system and see no difference in the chunk I just laid down when I upgraded to the D600.

 Dietr's gear list:Dietr's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
It DOES Make A Difference!

Mr Gadget wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

If I wanted what you want, I would get a Sony NEX. They have plenty of cheaper, average lenses.

The lenses for the x system are top draw and compare favourably to equivalent DSLR lenses. The 35mm in particular is stellar, approaching Leica levels of performance at 1/6 the cost. That's why the seem expensive.

Not sure why you think the xf lenses are poor wide open: the reverse is true.
--
http://sgoldswoblog.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/

I never said "poor".  Lest softness wide open is what i have read in other places, and specifically towards the zoom 18-55, and yes, i have heard really really good things about the 35mm.  My issue with price is more towards the cameras.  You honestly don't think this bodies cost a bit too much?  If the prices were just right i would immediately go sell my Nikon stuff and move on.

What difference will it make what I or you or anyone else think about the prices? They are what they are... I seriously doubt that a Fujifilm product/marketing manager will read this post and say "Oh my, we should lower the price of our cameras because there is this post on DPR". Do you really think that will happen? Seriously?

Fujifilm established the prices for thier cameras some time ago. People flocked to the stores and bought them, which pretty well established that they werent too far off in their pricing for the preceived value of the product, eh? If everyone would stop buying Fujifilm cameras then the price may fall, but from what I see of the number of posts here about all the new cameras being purchased then my guess is that most folks feel that the cameras represent good value.

Put it this way, I would rather spend $1400 on an X-Pro1 than $2000 on a dusty/oily D600 or $3000 on a D800 with focus issues.

So, if the purpose of your original post was to vent and let off steam, go ahead on, hope you feel better. If you think that you are actually going to change anything, then I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Have a nice day!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Mr Gadget, believe it or not, THEY DO read these forums.  I have seen threads locked out because someone posted imformation they should have not provided from the camera manufacturer itself before the camera release, and within SECONDS the camera manufacturer got a hold of that person and brought it up to his attention, and the gentleman had to apologize for not being able to provide more info anymore.  I will have to dissagree with you on this, they do read these places, but you are correct, if no one ever says anything, then yes, for sure prices would never go down.

In the end that's really up to us the consummer that decide how much is too much.  That's just my opinion, but if something is really out of my budget and i see that something else gives me more for what it cost, then i just either don't buy it or i buy the less expensive item.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: Duh

David McGaughey wrote:

Would we prefer lower prices? Of course. Who wouldn't want to pay less? If cheap mirrorless stuff is what you are after, then m43/Samsung/Sony is the way to go. Plenty of bargains over there. If you are willing to pay more for higher quality, then Fuji becomes a possibility. Seriously. The Fuji stuff is better built and better optically than most. Fuji (so far) hasn't released any "consumer" lenses yet - which is the reverse of just about every other mirrorless competitor so far (e.g. Sony). m43 isn't immune to high prices either: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/H-HS35100

Oh, and you can get a new Fuji X-Pro1 for $1099:

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x-pro1/MTAwMDI1NA_A_A

David, thanks man!  I have saved that page to my favorites.

That's a pretty good attractive price.  Would this be for a brand new camera or refurbished, what do you know about the store reliability/service ?

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,244
I don't think complaining about prices is ever a good complaint
1

It is what it is.  If you can afford it, or it is cost effective to buy it, then do so.  If not, then don't.  Perhaps the market will speak and prices will decline.  Perhaps not.

There are lots of things I'd like to buy, be it a BMW or a 200-400VR, but if I can't I can't.   I don't have any right to buy something at what I would consider to be the "right" price.  I also don't mean to pick on you, as these complaints show up on a regular basis in a large number of these forums. I personally just reject the entire concept.

And no, I'm not rich.  I have been eying the Fuji 14mm.  I haven't bought it because a lens of that expense requires for me some serious thought and planning.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D +12 more
mistermejia OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: I don't think complaining about prices is ever a good complaint

jcharding wrote:

It is what it is.  If you can afford it, or it is cost effective to buy it, then do so.  If not, then don't.  Perhaps the market will speak and prices will decline.  Perhaps not.

There are lots of things I'd like to buy, be it a BMW or a 200-400VR, but if I can't I can't.   I don't have any right to buy something at what I would consider to be the "right" price.  I also don't mean to pick on you, as these complaints show up on a regular basis in a large number of these forums. I personally just reject the entire concept.

And no, I'm not rich.  I have been eying the Fuji 14mm.  I haven't bought it because a lens of that expense requires for me some serious thought and planning.

-- hide signature --

I hear ya!  Believe me, if i sell all my 6 nikon lenses i have plenty of money to buy it, but for the slow inaccurate AF and for what it costs, i would probably just wait to see what the next model will offer.

The AF performance just DOESN'T match with this camera's fantastic ISO and color performance.  That's my beef with it

I don't expect it to be as good as the nikon D7100, but Fuji does HAVE to improve it, not comparing it to the D7100, but to its competitors in the same camera league.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,665
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.
3

Quality costs.

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Iyhel Mnemeltarma New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Fuji Prices Are Too High.

To quote an old French film: " prices pass, quality remains. " (two hitmen discussing guns)

 Iyhel Mnemeltarma's gear list:Iyhel Mnemeltarma's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads