Good Camera Strap to Go with the E-X Series

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
IanDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
Good Camera Strap to Go with the E-X Series
Apr 26, 2013

Hey shooters,

I recently bought a new strap from the brand Carry Speed. It's a sling strap, similar to the Black Rapid style (which is also great), but is made from sturdier components and is also weatherproof. The base screws into the camera tripod socket and you connect it to the strap from there. What's really cool to me is the mounting point that connects the base to the strap can also lay flat for putting my E-5 away in my bag, it has 6 holes for connecting a tripod base AND their mounting plate will connect to any arca-swiss style mounting plate by default. I'm heading out to Kauai in the beginning of June and plan to test just how weatherproof this strap is. Previously I was using the Black Rapid RS-7 and RS-Sport. They're great camera straps, but there were some things that I didn't like about them, which I think the CS does a better job at.

IanDavis's gear list:IanDavis's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Camera Strap to Go with the E-X Series
In reply to IanDavis, Apr 27, 2013

I use this strap too.  I can carry the E-5 and 90-250 comfortably because of the stretchy rubbery material.  And, having the Arca Swiss type base, I can plop it on top of my tripod instantly.  One of my best equipment purchases ever.  When I bought mine, they didn't have the new hinged ball.  Carry Speed upgraded this for $15.

The only problem is that the hinged ball doesn't completely close around the fat bottom of the HLD-4.  The original wouldn't go on at all because of the uneven shape of the surface.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,516Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the heads up. Which model did you buy?

I notice that is a new model out which appears to have an additional strap under the armpit which should make it more stable.

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/cs-sport-weather-proof-shoulder-pad-sling-strap

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
IanDavis
Like?
In reply to Denjw, Apr 27, 2013

The CS-Sport model is the one I chose. The strap is more secure/stable than its Black Rapid counterpart.

Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
declan79
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

just had my q-strap for my e-3 replacing my olympus strap, cheap and feels good with e3+50-200

declan79's gear list:declan79's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Samsung NX300 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Apple iPhone 5 +8 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

IanDavis wrote:

Hey shooters,

I recently bought a new strap from the brand Carry Speed. It's a sling strap, similar to the Black Rapid style (which is also great), but is made from sturdier components and is also weatherproof. The base screws into the camera tripod socket and you connect it to the strap from there. What's really cool to me is the mounting point that connects the base to the strap can also lay flat for putting my E-5 away in my bag, it has 6 holes for connecting a tripod base AND their mounting plate will connect to any arca-swiss style mounting plate by default. I'm heading out to Kauai in the beginning of June and plan to test just how weatherproof this strap is. Previously I was using the Black Rapid RS-7 and RS-Sport. They're great camera straps, but there were some things that I didn't like about them, which I think the CS does a better job at.

You should  up date this post after your trip.  Nothing like a nice rugged trip to see how any piece of equipment holds up.

Jim Ford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
In reply to IanDavis, May 3, 2013

I've just bought the 'Carry Speed Sport', and it doesn't suit the E5!

The bosses on the plate prevent the screen from articulating. If the plate is turned upside down to avoid this, the battery compartment door is blocked.

All in all, useless for the E5, unless you're prepared to file the bosses down.

Jim

rev43
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?

I use a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap on my E-5 which somebody on this site recommended,

carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,180Gear list
Like?

I've had the black rapid classic strap for about 4 years (maybe 5) and I can tell you that I do not feel the need to try the latest DSLR strap in the market.  It's pretty sturdy and comfortable.....does the job 100%. I use it for my E30 + Oly grip + 1260mm or 70300mm at the heaviest lens.

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
RobPNth
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
So does Carry Speed Sport work with e-5?
In reply to rev43, May 3, 2013

Some posts indicate it does and others not. I just broke my Olympus E-5 strap and need a replacement. Something that will work with 12-60 as well as 300mm lenses.

Thanks

-- hide signature --
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: So does Carry Speed Sport work with e-5?
In reply to RobPNth, May 3, 2013

RobPNth wrote:

Some posts indicate it does and others not. I just broke my Olympus E-5 strap and need a replacement. Something that will work with 12-60 as well as 300mm lenses.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

I use the CarrySpeed FS-PRO with the F-1 foldable mounting plate on the E-5 works perfectly.  It does not interfere with the battery or anything.  Works ok with the HLD-4 on the E-5, the hinge does not move completely, but that's only for setting the camera down.

See my note above.  Be careful which plate you get.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?

Since getting the ZD300mm I found the neck strap on my E-5 was getting in the way, and was ending up getting twisted and tangled all the time, and was a hinderance when shooting. This combo is too heavy  and way too long to be hung around my neck anyway, so I've taken the strap off and just use an Olympus wrist strap with the HLD-4 'permanently' attached. Wow what a difference!

When out in the bush on a shoot I carry the combo in a Tamrac 5793 Super Telephoto Lens Pack  (highly recommended)  and if I take a fall the pack will look after the camera and I can have 2 hands free to save myself

As for straps and harnesses that rely on the tripod mount to take the (dangling and bouncing) weight of the camera and lens - no thanks, not for me. Those mount points are designed for static loads where the camera is sitting on a tripod.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Denjw
Like?
I with you Peter, I have the Olympus Grip Strap and HLD 4
In reply to Messier Object, May 4, 2013

which I use hand holding. I can easily plonk my E-5 and 50-200mm + EC2.0 on my RRS tripod or monopod when required.

What I am trying to find is a lightweight backpack to carry this combo when out birding. Your Tamrac bag looks a bit big for my requirements. Would like something similar but a bit smaller.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
IanDavis
Like?
In reply to Jim Ford, May 4, 2013

Jim Ford wrote:

I've just bought the 'Carry Speed Sport', and it doesn't suit the E5!

The bosses on the plate prevent the screen from articulating. If the plate is turned upside down to avoid this, the battery compartment door is blocked.

All in all, useless for the E5, unless you're prepared to file the bosses down.

Jim

That's weird. Is there a different mounting plate that you're using? I'm using the F-1 plate with adjustable connection.

IanDavis
Like?
Re: TENBA Shootout series maybe? -nt-
In reply to Denjw, May 4, 2013
No text.
Messier Object
Like?
Dennis
In reply to Denjw, May 4, 2013

Denjw wrote:

which I use hand holding. I can easily plonk my E-5 and 50-200mm + EC2.0 on my RRS tripod or monopod when required.

What I am trying to find is a lightweight backpack to carry this combo when out birding. Your Tamrac bag looks a bit big for my requirements. Would like something similar but a bit smaller.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --

I just posted a reply to you but it went into a black hole on DPR !
Take 2 . . .

before I got the 300mm I used the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW.

Still use it when I want to go light hand-held shooting with the 50-200mm or ZD150mm.

Plenty of Youtube reviews on this bag (good one in the snow)

It's a snug fit with the HLD and wrist strap on the E-5. Very comfortable to use when in rough bush as it comes with a thin waist strap that stops it bouncing around.

What I like best is the easy/quick access to the camera

Has pockets to take batteries, cards and phone, and built-in weather cover. Liked it so much I bought a second one.   No room if you want to carry other stuff though

Here are some pics of the pack with E-5 and your birding combo  50-200 + EC-20

Peter

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Kevin Sutton
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
+1 for the Crumpler "Industry Disgrace" neck strap
In reply to rev43, May 4, 2013

Hi

I replaced the stock Olympus neck strap with the Crumpler "Industry Disgrace".  It is much more comfortable.

I have an inherent distrust of the Black Rapid type straps. A few friends have had to watch their precious cameras drop to the ground or swing against hard surfaces.

I sometimes ditch the neck strap and use the HLD-4/GS-3 grip strap combo, especially with the 50-200 - Just works so well.

Cheers Kevin

Kevin Sutton's gear list:Kevin Sutton's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +13 more
rev43
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Re: +1 for the Crumpler "Industry Disgrace" neck strap
In reply to Kevin Sutton, May 4, 2013

Kevin Sutton wrote:

Hi

I replaced the stock Olympus neck strap with the Crumpler "Industry Disgrace".  It is much more comfortable.

I have an inherent distrust of the Black Rapid type straps. A few friends have had to watch their precious cameras drop to the ground or swing against hard surfaces.

I sometimes ditch the neck strap and use the HLD-4/GS-3 grip strap combo, especially with the 50-200 - Just works so well.

Cheers Kevin

I currently have the HLD-4 grip and the Oly 50-200 swd  attached to my E-5, I just use the Crumpler Industry Disgrace neck strap I don't have a grip strap,

Denjw
Like?
Re: Dennis
In reply to Messier Object, May 5, 2013

Thanks very much for the info and photos Peter. This looks like the sort of bag I was looking for.

Couple of questions:

How to do you carry the bag as a sling or with the chest harness?

If you wear it in sling mode do you find it comfortable?

If you wear it with the chest harness how do you find this position and is it comfortable?

Thanks again

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
Messier Object
Like?
Re: Dennis
In reply to Denjw, May 5, 2013

Denjw wrote:

Thanks very much for the info and photos Peter. This looks like the sort of bag I was looking for.

Couple of questions:

How to do you carry the bag as a sling or with the chest harness?

If you wear it in sling mode do you find it comfortable?

If you wear it with the chest harness how do you find this position and is it comfortable?

Thanks again

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --

G'day Dennis

The chest harness is a separate item from Lowepro and  does not come with the Toploader Pro 75. I don't have one so I can't comment on it except to say that it didn't interest me.

I find the sling strap very comfortable.  When I'm walking with it the whole thing feels 'right'. And if you put the waist strap on (comes with the pack) it's nice and snug and no bouncing and shifting when walking over rocks and logs etc.

Be aware that it's a right-handed system in that the sling can only be worn across your right shoulder and it's not reversable. The pack is designed to sit on your left side. The top flap opens  to the left with your left hand, giving immediate access to the camera with your right hand. Check out the youtube videos and you will see this action demonstrated.

I paid 'full' price for the first one at a Sydney retail store. 2nd one I got for 1/2 that price with free shipping from China/HKG - 100% exact same product.

plenty on eBay for around $60 at the moment.

hope this helps

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads