Difference between ACR Calibration and Colorchecker Passport

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
naththo
Regular MemberPosts: 281Gear list
Like?
Difference between ACR Calibration and Colorchecker Passport
Apr 26, 2013

Hi,

I have made comparison of ACR Calibration and Colorchecker passport software. As a result of 50D profile:-

ACR Calibration:

Less saturation, more of conservative like Nikon does that way. But red has slightly got magenta tinge mostly. The rest are fine really. It just the only red color bothered me.

Colorchecker passport:

Very similar but more saturated but again red color still bothered me as it has got magenta tinge and it does show bit more contrasty than ACR Calibration

So both software are not that accurate for calibrate the profile. It should be red as it is without too much change of hue. I guess those both software did change hue a bit too much in the red color.

I download the colorchecker picture from a review website source to use to profile it.

For the canned profile, Canon 50D profile is not accurate due to skies too light color. And for Adobe standard it looks okay but blue skies a bit too cyan for my liking.

The ACR 4.6 is pretty good but unfortunately it has gone too yellow for me in yellow area. It should be orange but it went yellow on ACR 4.6.

Are these something wrong as it does not make sense to me?

And these profile are mostly good for daylight shooting and some good for portrait shooting. But indoor non flash and sunset image may not be suitable to use those custom profile. It needs to have different lighting to make more than few custom profile to match these: Landscape, portrait, cityscape, architecture, indoor non flash, flash, etc etc etc. Thats the problem.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN +4 more
Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Difference between ACR Calibration and Colorchecker Passport
In reply to naththo, Apr 27, 2013

Are you using a colour checker passport? The actual flip open colour chart and accompanying software? I find it great..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?

Strange color behavior, I think you have not calibrate the monitor in a proper way, or just using not the optimal color management settings, color space or color intents.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

naththo
Like?

Hi,

Monitor is calibrated with Spyder4Elite with most setting used. Calibrated monitor manufacturer 250cd/m^2 as it was over 250 so I tweaked it down to 250 as I recommended as since I don't like 120 cd/m^2 at all which is too dull. Being at 120 all text looks like grey to me and white looks like grey as well make it much harder to read. Yuck! I don't do home printing much as I preferred photo lab is cheaper option.

No. I was unable to do that without Canon 50D as it is sold to my mum for her optometrist work with equipment to take photos inside eyes. And sold my Canon 7D to a customer in Adelaide. So I am with Sony Nex 7. So that mean having to obtain off online from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E50D/E50DTHMB.HTM and I chose raw on http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E50D/E50DhMULTI00100.HTM. Thats the only best one I could find. So unfortunately I cannot produce my own one since those both are sold. So thats a real bummer. I should have done it before but too late now. Most of my old photos of both Canon 50D and 7D are raw files as well. I will try make my own acr and try make it look same as on DPP. They are close but not quite. It just need a bit of tweaking. I will do that experiment hoping to obtain closest result as I can because it will be better than ACR or Passport calibration software with original Canon color except I tweak to make skies a bit more bluer than Canon set on to match other like Pentax/Sony blue skies lookalike. Canon weakness is blue skies is the reason why. But does well with portrait color and foliage color.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN +4 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?

Im shooting nikon and it has issues with over doing reds..
The colour checker passport is to calibrate your camera lens combo, so only needs to be done for the camera you are using when editing the Raw's.

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
naththo
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Apr 27, 2013

Looks like I have done custom made by hand instead with Adobe Photoshop RAW editing windows. I just use red/green/blue slider but not touching shadow tint slider. I try match and they are close enough to original Canon color so I am pretty happy with. It is more like conservative one and looks like in real life to me. Finally! Thats what I want. I compared both Adobe Photoshop RAW Canon standard and the DPP Canon Standard, did calculated from HSB to HSL online converter and did the maths. Made an adjustment needed. I also done Adobe Standard compare with Canon Standard in DPP and did adjustment as well. So its a good experiment to try out. Worth doing it. Blue skies looks like blue skies at last, etc. Its a time consuming to do but it did work as what I want.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,686
Like?

I have Adobe made and X-Rite Passport made profiles for both of my camera.

They two types of profile are very similar (as they should be) but there are some significant differences. Not just in color either -- I see subtle differences in shadow and highlight detail too.

Generally speaking I prefer the X-Rite version.

Obviously, the best results will require correct color management settings on your software and a decent calibrated monitor.

However, the manner in which you shoot the color test target is absolutely critical. I took the time to:

* Place the target on a mid-grey background. I used the eye-dropper readings from that to confirm that illumination was perfectly even.

* Confirm the chart is parallel to the plane of the sensor.

* Shoot multiple exposures and select the best based on the RGB readings on the white patch.

naththo
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 27, 2013

malch wrote:

I have Adobe made and X-Rite Passport made profiles for both of my camera.

They two types of profile are very similar (as they should be) but there are some significant differences. Not just in color either -- I see subtle differences in shadow and highlight detail too.

Generally speaking I prefer the X-Rite version.

Obviously, the best results will require correct color management settings on your software and a decent calibrated monitor.

However, the manner in which you shoot the color test target is absolutely critical. I took the time to:

* Place the target on a mid-grey background. I used the eye-dropper readings from that to confirm that illumination was perfectly even.

* Confirm the chart is parallel to the plane of the sensor.

* Shoot multiple exposures and select the best based on the RGB readings on the white patch.

So having white background is no good for that target because it would create uneven illumination. And that chart is possibly not parellel to the plane of sensor. And not having done any multi exposure. So thats the problem. If the illumination is uneven it would make it looks like some square are darker than the others and that would totally interfere with calibration.

So I can understand clearly what you explain what causes of problem to the accuracy of calibration since target should be lit even against grey background and parallel to the plane of sensor while taking multi exposure to pick the correct exposure to use for calibration.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,686
Like?

naththo wrote:

So having white background is no good for that target because it would create uneven illumination. And that chart is possibly not parellel to the plane of sensor. And not having done any multi exposure. So thats the problem. If the illumination is uneven it would make it looks like some square are darker than the others and that would totally interfere with calibration.

So I can understand clearly what you explain what causes of problem to the accuracy of calibration since target should be lit even against grey background and parallel to the plane of sensor while taking multi exposure to pick the correct exposure to use for calibration.

The grey background isn't essential but it sure helps to confirm the evenness of the illumination. If the all four corners around the test target have the same RGB values, you know the lighting is pretty darn even.

But the main point is... you want to take considerable care when making the test shots you'll use to create the camera profile. Without that, you'll just have one more experiment that demonstrates the principle of Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 28, 2013

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered about same plane and evenly illuminated as the colours stay the same colour whether perfectly exposed or not. However I would never allow the targets to be in shade, as natural shade is bluer  than out in the open.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Apr 28, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

That is not a Nikon issue but an ACR issue.
Editing Nikon files within Nikon software (Nikon Capture NX2 / View NX2) I don't have that issue.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 29, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

That is not a Nikon issue but an ACR issue.
Editing Nikon files within Nikon software (Nikon Capture NX2 / View NX2) I don't have that issue.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Oh, okay.. I seemed to have red issues in Capture NX2 when I used it, but that was a few years ago. Unless maybe It was my D200 ..I switched to lightroom in the early stages of my D700 shooting. Now I have xrite camera and lens profiles in Lightroom and no red issues. Never really gave it much thought as to what or why..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads