Tips for using a Tamron 90mm Macro

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
simonf7
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Tips for using a Tamron 90mm Macro
Apr 26, 2013

Had a bit of an impulse buy and got myself a secondhand Tamron 90mm Macro. Took a few photos during my lunch break and really happy with how they look.

These are jpegs straight from the camera, just cropped a little.

Any handy hints to getting the best from my macro shots?

Si

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,242Gear list
Like?
Re: Tips for using a Tamron 90mm Macro
In reply to simonf7, Apr 26, 2013

When using a Macro lens as a macro and close to its 1:1 setting, you will need to stop down the lens quite a bit otherwise you will have an extremely shallow depth of field.  While some may desire this razor thin depth of field, others may want a lot of detail while shooting up close.

Of course, when stopping the lens down you will need a longer shutter speed.   This will require the subject to be very still as well as the camera.  Put the camera on a tripod or some kind of support since hand holding may not produce the best results.

Some people get around the two things mentioned above by stacking their photos to increase the depth of field while keeping the aperture close to wide open but slightly changing the focus with each shot taken.  This requires either special software or a photo editor that will allow you to work in layers.

While the Tamron looks nice wide open, it is at its sharpest corner to corner when stopped down around 1 stop +/- at F/4-F/4.5.  The nice thing about the lens is that it still looks great up to around F/8-F/11 (where the sharpness doesn't vary much from its peak) before it starts to soften up again.

The Tamron 90mm also makes for a nice portrait lens.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stan_pustylnik
Senior MemberPosts: 3,245Gear list
Like?

Congratulations with this lens purchase!

Tamron 90mm is wonderful lens, does very beautifu bokeh. Lens is sharp, and works well as short telephoto for landscape sections, and portraits. In macros it pulls great detail at minimal focussing distance. To get 1:1 - set camera to minimal focussing distance and move camera toward subject till focus is confirmed. CPL filter helps with detail definition a lot if surfaces are too shiny.

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772Gear list
Like?

The most basic tip is to use it in manual (M) mode.  Also, if you have a static subject, take multiple shots whilst adjusting the focal plane then combine the images as a focal stack which when done will give you a sharp fully focused image of the entire subject (this can be hard hand-held, so best done using a tripod).  Try it for portraits as well.  Super lens BTW as are the Minolta AF 100/2.8 and Sigma AF 105/2.8.  Tokina AT-X 100/2.8 is 1:2 as is the Cosina (or any variant thereof) AF 100/3.5 MC in native form, but still gives superb results at a budget price.

-- hide signature --

Mark (aka Pirate!)

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +29 more
andreac75
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?

Great lens! Hop e you'll enjoy it !

Adam Benn
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Apr 26, 2013

+1

I often put my camera in aperture priority to ensure more depth of field.  And I often end up in manual focus mode to avoid focus-hunting.  When auto focus is working it works well.  But, if it gets confused it starts hunting through the whole range.  Meanwhile, the bug has moved on and you've lost the shot.

I just recently moved from my old KM 5D to an A57, so I am really looking forward to having more latitude with ISO (to maintain fast shutter speeds when the lens is stopped down), and the much higher resolution.

My Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro is my favourite lens.

Adam Benn's gear list:Adam Benn's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,423Gear list
Like?
In reply to andreac75, Apr 26, 2013

Wind up the ISO to at least 400. Stop down to at least f13. Use a monopod at the minimum.

Autofocus is OK or use manual focus if you prefer.

Enjoy!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,493
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Apr 26, 2013

VirtualMirage wrote:

Think twice about using macro lenses for portrait, especially for women. Waaay too sharp.

Will need a lot of work for smoothing out "the cruel reality". Just kidding but they are that sharp.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,493
Like?

Shooting macro with really getting close to the subject, working on the framing, the DOF is a real slow-down-therapy

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,242Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Fritzen, Apr 26, 2013

Michael Fritzen wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

Think twice about using macro lenses for portrait, especially for women. Waaay too sharp.

Will need a lot of work for smoothing out "the cruel reality". Just kidding but they are that sharp.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

It's not too hard to soften them up, especially if you have layers or a selection brush to work with to do some selective skin softening.

It is a lot easier to soften an image in post processing and remove detail than it is to sharpen it and add detail back in. 

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
G6u7a1m
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
In reply to simonf7, Apr 27, 2013

Let's not forget the best Sony feature for macro. (Focus peaking)

No crop

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to simonf7, May 4, 2013

One great extra is the Delta DRF-14 S ringflash which you can buy on evilBay from Foto-Tip, though this will only work on DSLR and not DSLT.  That said, the combination is superb and using the ringflash really makes macro shooting a more satisfying experience as you generally get shadow-free images (a bit CSI Miami) but well worth the investment.  I'm not going to get into the argument about DSLR v DSLT, but never having owned a 2 digit Alpha, I've never had any issues with 3rd party hardware compatibility on any 3 digit Alpha's or Minolta Dynax 5D or 7D.  The Delta is a re-branded Marumi, and for the price, it's a worthwhile investment if you're a dedicated macro/super close-up or portrait shooter.

I always set my camera to spot focus, ISO 100, A Mode, cRAW or RAW if using AF, though manual shooting macro is the best way to go.

-- hide signature --

Mark (aka Pirate!)

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads