Samsung 45mm f/1.8 Review (2d)

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,551Gear list
Like?
Samsung 45mm f/1.8 Review (2d)
Apr 26, 2013

I posted my review for the 45mm f/1.8 IF 2d lens online.  Sorry about the terrible picture of the lens, selling off one of my other systems and realized I sold all my flash strobes that work with the NX  I will get a better one later when I have something setup.

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3542

It is a great lens, smooth bokeh, very high resolution, its main weak point is CA.  This can lead to some purple fringing at large apertures, etc.  I wouldn't say it is bad though, fairly typical for this class.  Performance wise it is actually a lot like the new Sony 50mm f/1.8 for NEX too.  This Samsung is definitely one of my favorite lenses for the system.  Along with the 12-24, 16, 30, 60 (specifically for macro or closer shots), and 85

Focus is fast for a 50mm class lens and the light weight is nice.  Even the price is fair for the lens. I paid full retail for mine and would do so again, but if you get a deal with yours that is even better.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
TJL LTFF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung 45mm f/1.8 Review (2d)
In reply to viking79, Apr 26, 2013

Once again, thanks so much for the review of the 45mm. I have it on order from B&H from their combo deal a week ago. Looks like it may be a keeper. It's so nice to have your input.

TJL LTFF's gear list:TJL LTFF's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hootsmon
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?

Well done, and thanks for another well-written review.

I like those sample images, including bokeh.  Not sure exactly how to describe it, but I see an understated look, without a lot of heavy contrast (or 'punch' if you prefer).  Just wondering if soft contrast is a characteristic of the lens, or is it to do with how you recover highlights and shadows in PP?

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA
tufir
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

Thank you for the review, Eric.

I also like my 2d sample very much - it made me sell all my old 50mm manual focus lenses. Unfortunately I noticed some weakness with flare and ghosting effects, even with the hood and when the light source is out of the frame. I think some other people also mentioned this before.

How's your experience with this "issue"?

viking79
Like?
In reply to hootsmon, Apr 26, 2013

hootsmon wrote:

Well done, and thanks for another well-written review.

I like those sample images, including bokeh.  Not sure exactly how to describe it, but I see an understated look, without a lot of heavy contrast (or 'punch' if you prefer).  Just wondering if soft contrast is a characteristic of the lens, or is it to do with how you recover highlights and shadows in PP?

Those samples I reset vs what I uploaded here, they only have sharpening and white balance (I think set to cloudy) and are from the NX300.  The ones at an angle and flare, and maybe 1 or 2 other shots are from the NX20, don't have sharpening, and don't have WB set (camera set).

I hate to mix up reviews like that, but got the different camera halfway through

I agree, the contrast characteristics of the lens are understated maybe, but I think in a good way.  Too punchy for portraits is not necessarily good.  Sort of a subjective thing, the MTF 50 is good, so it still has good resolution at 50% contrast remaining.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Like?
In reply to tufir, Apr 26, 2013

tufir wrote:

Thank you for the review, Eric.

I also like my 2d sample very much - it made me sell all my old 50mm manual focus lenses. Unfortunately I noticed some weakness with flare and ghosting effects, even with the hood and when the light source is out of the frame. I think some other people also mentioned this before.

How's your experience with this "issue"?

My samples show what it has with the sun in the frame, I haven't done enough shots with the sun just out of the frame.  With larger aperture lenses try to keep the camera in the shade shooting towards the light.  Like the photos of my son in the review (link to Zenfolio gallery right below conclusion) I tried to stand in the shade of the tree are not shoot into the sun.  I didn't have any hood attached, but I do sometimes shade the lens with my hand if I am in direct sun.

Eric

-- hide signature --

ssmita76
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 27, 2013

Thank you so much for the evaluation of the 45mm.

ssmita76's gear list:ssmita76's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S II
Carl Decker
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Focus speed on nx300 ?
In reply to viking79, Apr 27, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Focus is fast for a 50mm class lens and the light weight is nice.  Even the price is fair for the lens.

Thank you for the report and also for your last answer to my question.

Here dpreview wrote on the nx300 preview:

"Even in the relatively low light of a CES meeting room, focus with the 85mm F1.4 was fast and positive, with almost no 'jitter' - certainly a clear improvement on the solely contrast-detection system in earlier NX bodies and many competitive mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. "

Is the same true for the 45 F1.8 on the nx300 ? Or what do you mean with "fast" ?

Thanks

viking79
Like?
Re: Focus speed on nx300 ?
In reply to Carl Decker, Apr 27, 2013

Carl Decker wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Focus is fast for a 50mm class lens and the light weight is nice.  Even the price is fair for the lens.

"Even in the relatively low light of a CES meeting room, focus with the 85mm F1.4 was fast and positive, with almost no 'jitter' - certainly a clear improvement on the solely contrast-detection system in earlier NX bodies and many competitive mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. "

Is the same true for the 45 F1.8 on the nx300 ? Or what do you mean with "fast" ?

Thanks

The focus is fast and positive.  Goes straight to the point and stops.  Even if it hunts it goes end to end in about 1 second or less (from min to max to min focus).  If it doesn't need to hunt it just goes straight to focus and locks, in low light in might check focus.

Basically focus speed is the same as the Sony A99 with 50mm f/1.4 I am reviewing (which is pretty quick).  The A99 takes a lot longer to hunt (about 1.5 or 2 seconds) but it rarely needs to.  The NX300 is a bit more prone to hunting especially in lower light or low contrast scenes (I am sure the PDAF sensors on the sensor aren't as sensitive).

Compared to my NEX with 50mm f/1.8 OIS that I had, the NX300 with 45mm f/1.8 is blazing fast.  For focus speed it is definitely one of the better lenses for the mount now, especially considering the longer focal length and focus throw.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Carl Decker
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
thank you for the focus speed test
In reply to viking79, Apr 29, 2013

viking79 wrote:

The focus is fast and positive.  Goes straight to the point and stops.  Even if it hunts it goes end to end in about 1 second or less (from min to max to min focus).  If it doesn't need to hunt it just goes straight to focus and locks, in low light in might check focus.

Basically focus speed is the same as the Sony A99 with 50mm f/1.4 I am reviewing (which is pretty quick).  The A99 takes a lot longer to hunt (about 1.5 or 2 seconds) but it rarely needs to.  The NX300 is a bit more prone to hunting especially in lower light or low contrast scenes (I am sure the PDAF sensors on the sensor aren't as sensitive).

Compared to my NEX with 50mm f/1.8 OIS that I had, the NX300 with 45mm f/1.8 is blazing fast.  For focus speed it is definitely one of the better lenses for the mount now, especially considering the longer focal length and focus throw.

i just wait until the lens is available here , then i will order it.

Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

Thanks for the review, as always appreciated.

chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the review.

I would quite like this lens, but need to curb my spending on such things for a while.

Is it just disappointing that Samsung are putting OIS on so few of their lenses.

It may not matter so much for photo, but is a blessing for video.

I'd even settle for some kind of digital stabilisation for lenses without.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Raf007
Like?
Re: thank you for the focus speed test
In reply to Carl Decker, Apr 29, 2013

Carl Decker wrote:

I found this retailer over a week ago, still waiting for them to have the lenses in stock.

Anyone knows if I can get the lenses in similar price anywhere else?

viking79
Like?
Quantitative focus times
In reply to Carl Decker, May 5, 2013

Carl Decker wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Thanks

PS I added some numbers fo 7.6 EV (ISO 100, 1/60, f/1.8) I will try a different EV later.  This is in fluorescent lights.

Press to Shot (includes both focus duration and shutter lag)

Refocus 291 ms

Min to Focus 614 ms

Inf to Focus 311 ms

The min focus number is where I set the lens to minimum focus distance and pressed the shutter to focus to 1:53 (this is about 2.6 m focus distance) and the Infinity to focus is the same, manually set the lens to infinity and hit the shutter.  The min to focus has a long ways to turn the lens, the infinity to focus not nearly as much.

I did this at f/1.8 to avoid any aperture opening/closing, but it does include the shutter lag, so the actual focus speed is a bit less than that (but shutter lag is about 1 order magnitude less than focus time).

We are talking on the order of 1/3 second to focus, that is as fast as an SLR.  The issue is more with tracking since it can't judge as well which way something is moving.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Raf007
Like?
Re: thank you for the focus speed test
In reply to Raf007, May 7, 2013

Raf007 wrote:

Carl Decker wrote:

I found this retailer over a week ago, still waiting for them to have the lenses in stock.

Anyone knows if I can get the lenses in similar price anywhere else?

technikdirekt.de got 45mm 1.8 finally in stock. €220.00 for delivery in Germany, a bit more for other countries in EU (€247.00 for UK). When you search for the lenses use German language website, for some reason you cant find the lenses on their English version of the website.

Hannu108
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 7, 2013

Thanks for the great review!

Hannu108's gear list:Hannu108's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,885Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 8, 2013

thank you giving input on 45mm lens performance.  agree on notion that focal size not weird. no different than lens wider or longer but specially longer . it is just lens and standard focal size. inability to take good pictures and blame focal size is poor alibi with people of poor skill. lens focal size do not make picture better. it is learning how to use equipment properly and take time to study and practice photography and develop skill is key.

Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 9, 2013

what is the "mean" in the MTF chart please?  pardon my ignorance.

I'm not sure I'd like a lens with a lot of CA... I have a Fuji that produces a lot of CA on the long end of the zoom and I just hate it.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Timmbits
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, May 9, 2013

chrisrabe wrote:

Is it just disappointing that Samsung are putting OIS on so few of their lenses.

It may not matter so much for photo, but is a blessing for video.

I'd even settle for some kind of digital stabilisation for lenses without.

I wish they had in-body stabilization (sensor shift) like some manufacturers offer. The OIS lenses could use up less power with OIS turned off if wanted, and you could have stabilization using legacy lenses too.

I don't really care if OIS is superior to sensor shift or not... if they can justify selling us lenses without any stabilization at all, then surely there is room to argue that SF stabilization is acceptable.

I'd much rather spend extra money on a given lens having a larger aperture than on it having an OIS mechanism that adds size, weight, complexity, may be subject to less durability, and adds power drain.

Keep it simple and reliable.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Timmbits
Like?
In reply to Timmbits, May 9, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

what is the "mean" in the MTF chart please?  pardon my ignorance.

Where you show on the same chart: horizontal, vertical, and mean. the mean is the shortest bar, and I would have thought it to be an average... or does it refer to a mean deviation?

I'm not sure I'd like a lens with a lot of CA... I have a Fuji that produces a lot of CA on the long end of the zoom and I just hate it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads