Why do I have to dial in AF micro adjustment now when previously I didn't need to?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
Learnphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Why do I have to dial in AF micro adjustment now when previously I didn't need to?
Apr 26, 2013

Hi,

When I first bought my 6D + 16-35mm II five months ago, my AF micro-adjustment was Zero and spot on!

Today, I noticed that the lens back-focusing and have to dial in + 7 for both wide and telephoto ends. The result is spot on again with + 7. Every shots are now CONSISTENTLY spot on with +7, just like before.

What could have caused the change? Due to work commitment, my 6D and 16-35 have been sitting in dry cabinet mostly. There was no drop or knock. I did a firmware upgrade to 1.1.3 before I notice the problem but this has nothing to do with AF. This is quite worrying.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,081Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do I have to dial in AF micro adjustment now when previously I didn't need to?
In reply to Learnphotography, Apr 26, 2013

There will be a slight drift in focus over time with any lens but I'm sure that time is greater than 5 months.

Has the ambient temperature change (given it's five months since you first checked AF)?

Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
Re: Why do I have to dial in AF micro adjustment now when previously I didn't need to?

Learnphotography wrote:

Hi,

When I first bought my 6D + 16-35mm II five months ago, my AF micro-adjustment was Zero and spot on!

Today, I noticed that the lens back-focusing and have to dial in + 7 for both wide and telephoto ends. The result is spot on again with + 7. Every shots are now CONSISTENTLY spot on with +7, just like before.

What could have caused the change? Due to work commitment, my 6D and 16-35 have been sitting in dry cabinet mostly. There was no drop or knock. I did a firmware upgrade to 1.1.3 before I notice the problem but this has nothing to do with AF. This is quite worrying.

Are you sure your measurement method was exactly the same five months apart?

JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

I recently noticed this also. When I purchased the 6D back in January, my 85 1.8 needed -18 in micro adjustment. Last week I noticed few shots were soft, so I did the test again and now it's perfect at -12. I used dot tune method to do micro adjustment.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +2 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
In reply to JLim22, Apr 26, 2013

JLim22 wrote:

I recently noticed this also. When I purchased the 6D back in January, my 85 1.8 needed -18 in micro adjustment. Last week I noticed few shots were soft, so I did the test again and now it's perfect at -12. I used dot tune method to do micro adjustment.

I'm not sure the dot tune method is really precise enough.

Try this - http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads