should I upgraded to D700?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
tmtmtmt
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
should I upgraded to D700?
Apr 26, 2013

Hey.
I have been an owner of a D90 for about 4 years. I have two DX lenses: nikon 16-85mm and sigma 10mm; and three FX lenses: nikon 50mm 1.8, sigma 28-105, and sigma 70-300 (big sigma fan).
I love my D90 and i dont see any reason to upgrade it to another DX slr. However, now thanks to the D600 and the D800, i can afford to upgrade to a second hand D700 (if i sell all my DX equipment). The question is: shold i do it?

I wold appreciate it if you could tell me a little bit about yourself and your experience in photography in your answer, so i can get a better idea of how I'm talking to.

Thanks alot.

tmtmtmt's gear list:tmtmtmt's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tomasg71
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Re: should I upgraded to D700?
In reply to tmtmtmt, Apr 26, 2013

Went from D50, D200, D300 to D700, always bought used, if you don t have the money for a D600 you won t regret getting a D700. Just my opinion.

Tomas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772
Like?

tmtmtmt wrote:

Hey.
I have been an owner of a D90 for about 4 years. I have two DX lenses: nikon 16-85mm and sigma 10mm; and three FX lenses: nikon 50mm 1.8, sigma 28-105, and sigma 70-300 (big sigma fan).
I love my D90 and i dont see any reason to upgrade it to another DX slr. However, now thanks to the D600 and the D800, i can afford to upgrade to a second hand D700 (if i sell all my DX equipment). The question is: shold i do it?

I wold appreciate it if you could tell me a little bit about yourself and your experience in photography in your answer, so i can get a better idea of how I'm talking to.

Thanks alot.

Me: Moody landscapes, documentary weddings and a few portraits thrown in.

I've been in photography for as long as I remember (which gets shorter every year now I'm past 50) starting off in black and white darkrooms, though digital and the web have changed what I do. D70 to D300 - no brainer, the revelation being the improved viewfinder and lcd, the improved qual, res, lowlight being much as expected. Added a 700 at the end of last year for better low light at weddings and more limited dof. Still shoot with d300 for reach. 700 has more DR, and it does make a difference in shooting, though I've never made side by side comparisons so not sure what difference it makes to the final print. I don't process shots now thinking - 'ah, this is a 300 shot' or vice versa.

So in your shoes, I don't know if it makes sense or not - not if the 7100 does all you need. Much will depend on how happy you will be with siggy lenses on the 700, and I'll not try and second guess that.

The 700 is without doubt a better camera, but nothing life changing. I'm not taking different shots with it or changing my approach in any way. And without viewing the exif I can't tell you which camera took which shots. The fanboys will tell you that there's no comparison between fx and dx, but when both cameras are near as identical resolution, I'd disagree.

Part of my reason for getting a 700 rather than a second 300 was for the feeling of going forward. But I'd happily buy a second 700.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

I went from D200 with 18-200mm lens to D700 with Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and never looked back. It took a time to get used to not relying on VR and loosing the long focal length, but it was worth the jump. The D700 button layout is soo well thought out and intuitive, after only a few months I could change all setting's without taking my eye away from the view finder. If you want a camera that takes great images, has a demon high iso capability a great Dynamic Range and can be adjusted on the fly to capture that fleeting moment, the D700 is the one for you.  Oh yeah and Ive got it wet waaay too many times (rain shower's).. and its still going strong

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +21 more
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?

I have a D700 and a D800.  I still use the D700 quite a bit.  Ditto to everything posted above.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,149Gear list
Like?

Whether you SHOULD upgrade is probably beyond my ability to predict.  I can certainly tell you that the D700 is an excellent camera for almost anyone not trying to meet some specific demand.  We currently have a D700 along with our D800 and D3x and use it extensively.  If you get a good used specimen I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

Since you asked about my own experience, I have a website at www.nightstreets.com should you wist to visit.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,644
Like?

I bought a D700 several years ago when I realized that my D90 was struggling with low light or fast frame rate shooting situations. Specifically, sports, and event shooting were where the D90 lagged and the D700 excelled.

Over the course of the years, I have had a D80, D90, D700, D60, D7000 and D7100. As of now, I have the D700 for low light shooting, and sports, the D7100 for wildlife and birding, and the D60 for travel and macro.

The D700 provides a full stop to a stop and a half of high ISO quality over the D90. If you do a lot of shooting over ISO 800, the D700 is considerably better than the D90. Similarly if you shoot sports where a 8 fps framerate would be helpful, the D700 (with grip and the right batteries) delivers the goods.

Be sure to calculate the additional cost of lenses and of CF cards in your upgrade plans.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?

tmtmtmt wrote:

Hey.

Thanks alot.

I think it's a logical upgrade from a D90.  I had a D90 that I LOVED for three years and I got a D700 last year.  Where the D700 really shines over my D90 is:

1) AF speed/accuracy

2) Ability to focus in darn near darkness

3) good fps for action

4) dof that full-frame gives you

I'm using this camera and making some poster sized prints (24x36) with no issue...they look fantastic.  D600 vs D700....easy decision.  Buy a used but good condition D700 for $1400 or less and get a stellar camera with a better more spry AF(more useful than megapixels).  Frankly, most people on this site don't even need more than 12MP unless they're pros printing at very large sizes.  Just poorly spent money really.

To be honest, if I didn't need the four things above I would be perfectly happy with my D90 as well.  Took it out last weekend since it's lighter/smaller than the D700 and got some fantastic shots.

What I accomplish is really only in part to do with the actual camera.

tmtmtmt
Like?
In reply to ranalli, Apr 27, 2013

ranalli wrote:

tmtmtmt wrote:

Hey.

Thanks alot.

I think it's a logical upgrade from a D90.  I had a D90 that I LOVED for three years and I got a D700 last year.  Where the D700 really shines over my D90 is:

1) AF speed/accuracy

2) Ability to focus in darn near darkness

3) good fps for action

4) dof that full-frame gives you

I'm using this camera and making some poster sized prints (24x36) with no issue...they look fantastic.  D600 vs D700....easy decision.  Buy a used but good condition D700 for $1400 or less and get a stellar camera with a better more spry AF(more useful than megapixels).  Frankly, most people on this site don't even need more than 12MP unless they're pros printing at very large sizes.  Just poorly spent money really.

To be honest, if I didn't need the four things above I would be perfectly happy with my D90 as well.  Took it out last weekend since it's lighter/smaller than the D700 and got some fantastic shots.

What I accomplish is really only in part to do with the actual camera.

Thank's!

my thoughts exactly!

i see the huge megapixel count as a negative thing, as i shot raw having 20 -30 mb files, like on the D600, is just too much (i don't print that big). However, i wold like a camera that handles dark situation better then my D90, and faster AF is also a welcome upgrade.

Have you compered pictures in dark situation, with similar focal length, between the D700 and the D90 (or higher) ?

Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro +1 more
tmtmtmt
Like?
In reply to Catallaxy, Apr 27, 2013

Thank you!

Exactly what i wanted to know!

you just made my decision a lot easier!

Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
D700 is a low light monster
In reply to tmtmtmt, Apr 27, 2013

tmtmtmt wrote:

i see the huge megapixel count as a negative thing, as i shot raw having 20 -30 mb files, like on the D600, is just too much (i don't print that big). However, i wold like a camera that handles dark situation better then my D90, and faster AF is also a welcome upgrade.

Have you compered pictures in dark situation, with similar focal length, between the D700 and the D90 (or higher) ?

I don't really believe that 12MP is a limitation with regard to print size. I recently printed a 20" x 30" D700 tripod held, well exposed landscape and it came out perfect. I can examine this print with a magnifying glass and can see no shortcomings. I don't know what to do with this print, it's too big to display: I only wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to the common statement that "12MP is great if you don't print big".  This is a MYTH. 12MP prints big very well.

I wanted to comment on your post earlier but I was too lazy. I have a D90 and found a very good, used D700 as well. I love them both. The D700 has some extra magical powers: it can focus pretty well in a dark saloon and capture images that a D90 simply can't. I can pull an underexposed image up a full 2 stops with little noise. It is a low light monster.

As others have said, you won't feel like you are missing out or be disappointed by the D700

Best regards,

Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?

tmtmtmt wrote:

This is where I think Nikon lost some of their customer base by getting back on the megapixel race. More is not always better. I bought a "new" body last year and it was a used D700.

just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?
D90 to D700 is a superb upgrade

And the new 18-35G lens would be a superb companion to it, likewise the 70-200 f/4.

You will be astounded at: much lower noise levels, a focus indicator display for manual focus that is more precise, the ability to use superb old manual focus glass (they aren't all superb but there are some true gems), and what you might find to be a vastly better match of the shape of the grip to the shape of your hands.

But I could also point out that you will spend more on lenses than on even a new D600 body, so make sure that you really are picking the body that is the right fit for you. The D600 has a better dynamic range (cleaner shadow details and color) and higher resolution if that will be useful in your case. The body construction is step lower though, that would still be a step up from the D90, just not as much as the D700 would be.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,036Gear list
Like?

I went from D70s to D200, then D300, then D700, now D800.   Only one I've sold so far is the D70s (to a friend who needed a camera).

My wife still uses a D80, exclusively with 18-200vr.

There will be a significant jump in low light performance from the D90 to a D700.    There will be a noticeable drop in depth of field with any lens at the F-stops you are used to.    If you have DX lenses, you'll not really want to use them on the D700, though you could.  (DX crop only gives you about 5mp).

The controls will take a bit of getting used to (perhaps) because you don't have scene modes, just P, A, S and M.   If you don't shoot jpg's out of camera with scene modes, then you won't have that learning curve.

The camera will be bigger and heavier, but you should quickly get used to that.

Your long lenses won't seem nearly so long.

Depending on lenses you have, they will have a completely different character on FX than DX.   Some will not seem to 'fit' as well, others will seem better.

The sensor IQ is definitely an upgrade - but that isn't saying that FX is definitely an upgrade from DX, just different for different types of shooting.    I got FX for low light performance, and I'm happy there.   On the other hand, my DX rig is more portable (wide zooms are smaller), has more reach, and is cheaper.   (I used to carry a D300 and D700, but I really only used the D300 for wildlife once I got the D700.)

I think the low light performance of a D90 is just a bit better than a D300.   A couple of years ago I put up some high-ISO shots I'd taken from each camera to show a bit how well they performed for me.   Not a test, just some representative shots.   You can see them here:

http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/highiso/index.html

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
Frank C.
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,539
Like?
In reply to tmtmtmt, Apr 28, 2013

the improved IQ is a real eye-opener, but so is the lack of reach coming from DX

trade-offs.... always trade-offs

but the IQ is sublime, did I mention that?

ranalli
Like?
In reply to tmtmtmt, Apr 29, 2013

tmtmtmt wrote

Thank's!

my thoughts exactly!

Well from a shooting standpoint the D700 has zero issue focusing and shooting whereas the D90 wouldn't always be able to "see" well enough to focus in low light/dark situations.

Once you get a shot in the dark, I know that with the D700's shots I can underexpose a bit more without the fear of bringing in a ton of noise when I pull the exposure back up in Lightroom.  There's noise...but not as much as if I was shooting with the D90.

And if you choose to bump the ISO to remedy the above the D700 wins there too.  It's pretty clean up to 800-1000 from what I can see and if you're downsizing your prints then even less issue.  Frankly, for an 8x10 noise is not an issue.

ranalli
Like?
Re: D700 is a low light monster
In reply to Mr Physics, Apr 29, 2013

Mr Physics wrote:

tmtmtmt wrote:

I don't really believe that 12MP is a limitation with regard to print size. I recently printed a 20" x 30" D700 tripod held, well exposed landscape and it came out perfect. I can examine this print with a magnifying glass and can see no shortcomings. I don't know what to do with this print, it's too big to display: I only wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to the common statement that "12MP is great if you don't print big".  This is a MYTH. 12MP prints big very well.

I wanted to comment on your post earlier but I was too lazy. I have a D90 and found a very good, used D700 as well. I love them both. The D700 has some extra magical powers: it can focus pretty well in a dark saloon and capture images that a D90 simply can't. I can pull an underexposed image up a full 2 stops with little noise. It is a low light monster.

As others have said, you won't feel like you are missing out or be disappointed by the D700

Best regards,

Tony

Agreed.  I print 24x36 frequently....ZERO ZERO issues at that size.

You might think that some of the people claiming to *need* a D600/D800 were printing full size replicas in galleries.

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,253Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 is a low light monster
In reply to ranalli, Apr 29, 2013

ranalli wrote:

Mr Physics wrote:

tmtmtmt wrote:

Best regards,

Tony

Agreed.  I print 24x36 frequently....ZERO ZERO issues at that size.

You might think that some of the people claiming to *need* a D600/D800 were printing full size replicas in galleries.

While I agree the D700 is superb, on a 20x30 print f a landscape scene, the D800 is obviously better in terms of resolution.  As I own both, I've compared in prints up to 32x48.  Also, dont forget that the newer bodies hold a 2 stop DR advantage as well.  Very handy when it's needed.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, Apr 29, 2013

tundracamper wrote:

tmtmtmt wrote:

This is where I think Nikon lost some of their customer base by getting back on the megapixel race. More is not always better. I bought a "new" body last year and it was a used D700.

In this case, more is better.  Better resolution.  Better noise.  Better dynamic range.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +18 more
LoveMachine
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to tmtmtmt, Apr 29, 2013

I love my D700.  I got mine when I started working with a wedding photographer a little over a year ago.  I upgraded to it from a Canon 60D so I could use his Nikon glass   Being in low-lit sanctuaries, reception halls, etc., we regularly shoot at ISO 3200, even up to 6400 and get beautiful, clear images.  I haven't used one to tell from experience but I'm guessing that would be pretty hard to do with a D7000.

A few of my other favorite things about the D700 are:

• Huge viewfinder (compared to DX bodies)
  • FX sensor (no converting focal ranges in my head )
  • Durable magnesium body - you can't avoid bumping into things but the camera shows no evidence of it.

That being said, I have huge hands and I can only barely fit all my fingers onto the D700 grip, so I'm looking to sell my D700 to get a D3.  So, if anyone is looking for a used D700 in excellent condition, I have one available.

LoveMachine's gear list:LoveMachine's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads