"Too busy making shots to notice"

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,180Gear list
Like?
"Too busy making shots to notice"
Apr 26, 2013

I just read these two lines in a little writeup on a blog about someone traveling with just a single camera and one prime lens.

"Did I miss some shots because of the limited gear?

Probably… but I don’t know for sure because I was too busy making shots to notice."

For some reason they struck me as profound.   Discuss if you wish.

looper1234
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Re: "Too busy making shots to notice"
In reply to tkbslc, Apr 26, 2013

My experience with my nifty fifty is the amount of trouble I go into trying to get the shot i want in frame.

i have a kit that would do the job just fine, but I find myself resorting to use the prime more and more.

If i had two primes, I'd think I'll be able to get all the shots i need, I can just crop out the shots I need in post.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Apr 26, 2013

Back in the day when I was toting two Mamiya C330s + lenses + ginormous flash + construction grade tripod + … just before I switched to 35mm for a lot of my professional work, I went on a trip halfway around the world with just one camera with a fixed lens, a Rollei. Accessories were a small flash, a table top tripod, and a couple of filters.

I took lots of excellent pix -- 6x6 slides on Ektachrome and Agfachrome -- and the lens restriction made me work hard for a lot of them and pass up some others.

In England I met a mate of mine who had bought an Olympus OM1 outfit in HongKong on the way (to his) home. Just a couple of weeks ago, we got together again and looked at some of the pix I took then with his camera, of him and interesting places.

Taking those pix and seeing them for the first time, plus some pointed remarks by the London agency who sold my photographs at the time, helped convince me to shift to 35mm as my primary system for general editorial photography, and to choose the then very new OM1 camera and Zuiko lenses.

Yes you  can do good stuff with single lens but you sure can miss a lot of nice pix you can get with a range of lenses.

I did notice because me mate was photographing beside me with his Oly outfit but when I started using my Oly outfit, I got slack and missed a lot of good pix that here there to be taken with a bit more trouble. I had to relearn to work for my pix to wring the best results out of the eafgter opportunities presented by the outfit.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Apr 27, 2013

I would never travel with just one prime lens. It's just too limiting. There will always be those times when a wide-angle or telephoto will be needed. "being too busy taking pictures" sounds good, but in this case, IMO, it's nonsense.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
hesbehindyou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

I just read these two lines in a little writeup on a blog about someone traveling with just a single camera and one prime lens.

Some think they can just zoom with their feet. *This probably isn't why a good photographer changed focal length.*

Changing focal length can keep the subject the same size while including more or less of the background. It can make the mountains behind the subject appear enormous or can make them appear tiny. It can give a sudden shift from in focus to out of focus areas or make it gradual.

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,335
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

"Did I miss some shots because of the limited gear?

Probably… but I don’t know for sure because I was too busy making shots to notice."

For some reason they struck me as profound.   Discuss if you wish.

Someone named Peter wrote the note, and the camera and lens he used was a Leica M9 with 50mm Summilux ASPH.  With such a combination I know that I wouldn't miss any shots that I cared about.  Over the years, and after accumulating a wide variety of lense for various cameras, I've come to realize that the only shots I want to take are those I can take with a normal lens.  A normal lens gives images what a DPReview article called "natural-looking perspective" in which "the apparent sizes and spatial relationships between image elements appear natural, and much as they did in real life."  That's what I got all the time from a TLR and its fixed, normal lens; that's also what I got from my first SLR and its 50mm kit lens.  It's all I want now, and it's what I get from all my digital cameras, whether through a normal prime lens, a zoom always left at the normal focal length, or compact zoom cameras programmed to always extend to a 50mm equivalent upon start-up.

Cosmo Not
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

Nothing wrong with these debates, as long as we understand it is a philosophical issue. I personally like to approach my shooting with a plan in mind. I know if I am out for landscapes, or birding, or portraits. If my needs change mid shooting, I swap lenses. Others prefer to use a zoom for this. Perhaps some people just wander without knowing what they will encounter, for that a zoom may work best. Or a single prime could work if you dont mind cropping. I think it's just a personal choice, I prefer primes, they seem to average better IQ and have less focus issues.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads