Canon is no. 1 for 10 straight years

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,479Gear list
Like?
Canon is no. 1 for 10 straight years
Apr 26, 2013

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480891911

A great feat, I must say. It has done this by a combination of making excellent equipment, understanding the needs of photographers of all level, great customer service and clever marketing. Lately it has been criticized for not being innovative. Yet, Canon seems to know what it is doing.

How long you think Canon will maintain its top position?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon is no. 1 for 10 straight years
In reply to aftab, Apr 26, 2013

aftab wrote:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480891911

A great feat, I must say. It has done this by a combination of making excellent equipment, understanding the needs of photographers of all level, great customer service and clever marketing. Lately it has been criticized for not being innovative. Yet, Canon seems to know what it is doing.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

As long as it doesn't listen to some of the people on Dpreview.com

There was all this moaning about Nikon having 36mp and Canon "only 18" when the 1D-X came out.

Since then there's been a deluge of complaints about various aspects of the D800 and nothing but endless praise for the 1D-x.

You see, there are those who only think of resolution, sharpness and "blowing out of the water", and there are those who know what's important in a camera.

I'm sorely tempted to get a 1D-X myself...

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Apr 26, 2013

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

aftab wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

As long as it doesn't listen to some of the people on Dpreview.com

There was all this moaning about Nikon having 36mp and Canon "only 18" when the 1D-X came out.

Since then there's been a deluge of complaints about various aspects of the D800 and nothing but endless praise for the 1D-x.

You see, there are those who only think of resolution, sharpness and "blowing out of the water", and there are those who know what's important in a camera.

I'm sorely tempted to get a 1D-X myself...

-- hide signature --

hi garry, just like you, i have a 1d4 and i love it and a plethora of canon "L" lenses, in fact all of my canon photog equipment that i own, have been nothing but pleasure to use, never a problem right out of the box! i have never regretted owning any of my canon stuff. and this is not because of brand loyalty but rather the quality and effort that canon puts in making their equipment. i have no desire to even try other brands because canon products meet my expectations quite well. i will be buying a 1Dx, 600mm f4 II, and a 24-70mm f2.8 II when i come home from overseas in about a month and i am looking forward to do that impatiently hope you enjoyed your trip to poland

cheerz.

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,595Gear list
Like?
Based on their own survey?

aftab wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

I'm not here to criticize Canon because half my kit is made up of Canon products. But, Canon may be number one today for many reasons that have nothing to do with the best current product for the market or current innovation.

For example, remember that Canon undercut the 35mm lens market for years (with fairly decent lenses if you were into telephoto styles) building a large base on extremely competitively priced lenses.

We all know how resistant uneducated photgraphers are to making changes in their kit. Fear & ignorance are rampant among the herd (no matter the brand actually).

This may be reversed sooner than later if Canon continues the trend of higher lens prices (and higher prices generally) making Nikon look like the budget SLR company these days. Folks previously afraid to change because of uncertainty about selling their equipemnt or learning a new system may be more motivated to jump off if they can't afford to shoot Canon.

I don't know how innovative the SLR biz can be since it seems like a mature industry (other than in sensors where, in my opinion, no manufacturer has it right yet) but Canon persists in sticking with the smallish incremental update model & the use of previous or lateral tech in new releases while Nikon seems to go for broke in all markets. Any significant update Canon might release these days kicking and screaming seems to be a result of being drug by Nikon.

It is obvious that Canon listened to a very small and very wrong group of people in their customer surveys. Before they can ask/survey a person about digital imaging issues, that person ought to understand digital imaging issues.

There are footnotes in the article suggesting that this is a Canon survey. Since there could be bias built into such a survey, it would be nice to know the protocols used in conducting the survey and the pool from which the surveyees were pulled. It would also be instructive to know the percentages by year. For example, if the percentage difference between Canon and the next competitor was 10% in 2003 (the year of the first affordable DSLR - the D300/Digital Rebel) and the percentage is .1 in 2012, that tells a different story.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +16 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Re: Based on their own survey?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 26, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

I'm not here to criticize Canon because half my kit is made up of Canon products. But, Canon may be number one today for many reasons that have nothing to do with the best current product for the market or current innovation.

For example, remember that Canon undercut the 35mm lens market for years (with fairly decent lenses if you were into telephoto styles) building a large base on extremely competitively priced lenses.

We all know how resistant uneducated photgraphers are to making changes in their kit. Fear & ignorance are rampant among the herd (no matter the brand actually).

This may be reversed sooner than later if Canon continues the trend of higher lens prices (and higher prices generally) making Nikon look like the budget SLR company these days. Folks previously afraid to change because of uncertainty about selling their equipemnt or learning a new system may be more motivated to jump off if they can't afford to shoot Canon.

I don't know how innovative the SLR biz can be since it seems like a mature industry (other than in sensors where, in my opinion, no manufacturer has it right yet) but Canon persists in sticking with the smallish incremental update model & the use of previous or lateral tech in new releases while Nikon seems to go for broke in all markets. Any significant update Canon might release these days kicking and screaming seems to be a result of being drug by Nikon.

It is obvious that Canon listened to a very small and very wrong group of people in their customer surveys. Before they can ask/survey a person about digital imaging issues, that person ought to understand digital imaging issues.

There are footnotes in the article suggesting that this is a Canon survey. Since there could be bias built into such a survey, it would be nice to know the protocols used in conducting the survey and the pool from which the surveyees were pulled. It would also be instructive to know the percentages by year. For example, if the percentage difference between Canon and the next competitor was 10% in 2003 (the year of the first affordable DSLR - the D300/Digital Rebel) and the percentage is .1 in 2012, that tells a different story.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Of course you are right Rick in that it is wise to be wary of any data issued by the manufacturer.

In terms of business strategy Canon has stuck to a largely well considered and mapped out plan and since the camera business, particularly the DSLR business, is quite mature, incremental changes are part of that strategy.  In comparison Nikon do appear to be thrashing about slightly.  Who will come out on top remains to be seen.  Perhaps neither if mirrorless products really take off and Canon and Nikon don't get their respective acts together in that sector.

Anyway I also suspect that this survey was released largely just to have something to fill out their recent press event.  Most of those journalists attending would have seen all of the products shown previously and since there was nothing new in terms of new product ready to announce they had to talk about something.

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,854Gear list
Like?

Rick Knepper wrote:

That's precisely why this press release was needed at this particular point.

Their commercial positioning regarding lenses is slowly changing from "most-affordable high-performance / marginal-low-returns-relying-on-volume" into "performance-established / max-return".

To anchor and exponentiate this new commercial paradigm they must transmit the concept contained in the title by whichever means and as many times as they possible can.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Positioning-The-Battle-Your-Mind/dp/0071373586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366975535&sr=8-1&keywords=positioning+the+battle+for+your+mind )

If their move is the correct one is something we will be finding out in next few years.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?

I have always used Nikon equipment and was more than happy with the brand and quality of the equipment.

I recently moved into the full frame world and after much research into the D600/D800 ended up buying a 5D3 instead.

My only regret is not buying a Canon sooner, i absolutely love this camera - no messing about with stupid menu systems, the control layout is superb, the construction is outstanding and every single photo i take brings me out in goosepimples.

That's not to say i have a problem with Nikon but just for me personally i am a converted fan!

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,202Gear list
Like?

aftab wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

I'd say it mostly has to do with it's marketing.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +8 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,284Gear list
Like?

aftab wrote:

There are reasons such as the world first CMOS sensor, first FF sensor, first with USM and electronic AF lens, first to release affordable DSLR and FF cameras...Canon still have some best lenses and best and fastest AF systems in DSLR world.

Sure Canon sensors are a bit lagging behind in last few years. However I am sure Canon next generation of sensors are just in horizontal.  Canon could lead again in sensor war once the rumored 46mp sensor is out the door. Canon is the only major camera company that doesn't depend on other companies to move forward.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Like?
In reply to rebel99, Apr 26, 2013

rebel99 wrote:

hi garry, just like you, i have a 1d4 and i love it and a plethora of canon "L" lenses, in fact all of my canon photog equipment that i own, have been nothing but pleasure to use, never a problem right out of the box! i have never regretted owning any of my canon stuff. and this is not because of brand loyalty but rather the quality and effort that canon puts in making their equipment. i have no desire to even try other brands because canon products meet my expectations quite well. i will be buying a 1Dx, 600mm f4 II, and a 24-70mm f2.8 II when i come home from overseas in about a month and i am looking forward to do that impatiently hope you enjoyed your trip to poland

cheerz.

I did, thanks! Using 1D4 and 70-300L. Best travel compromise, I thought. I also brought 24-105L

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +27 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,228Gear list
Like?
Always a laugh

Rick Knepper wrote:

Some of those uneducated photographers could probably spell photographers correctly. How's the weather up there in that ivory tower?

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 26, 2013

As regards Positioning, as mentioned above by Photokhan...

BMW are one of the most admired companies in the world and are THE most admired company in Ireland, apparently.

How about the cars though? They are not among the top ten for reliability. The No.1 in this part of the world is the Honda Accord (which is why I drive one).

It shows the power of marketing though.

It's like the Canon 1D mark iv, which I have myself. Everyone knows that the AF if fantastic, except that it isn't. It's pretty good but not fantastic.. The AF on the 1Dsiii and the 1Dsii is just as good.

-- hide signature --

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Always a laugh
In reply to Schwany, Apr 26, 2013

Schwany wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Some of those uneducated photographers could probably spell photographers correctly. How's the weather up there in that ivory tower?

Canon and Nikon leapfrog each other. Each has its strength and weakness at this moment. It really depends on what you shoot. For sports and news PJs, I have no doubt 1DX is the world best camera in the market today for example.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
meland
Like?

BMW are one of the most admired companies in the world and are THE most admired company in Ireland, apparently.

What!  Not Guinness?

How about the cars though? They are not among the top ten for reliability. The No.1 in this part of the world is the Honda Accord (which is why I drive one).

Ah, but not everyone chooses their car simply on the basis of reliability.  Some might put driving pleasure above that particular parameter.

It's like the Canon 1D mark iv, which I have myself. Everyone knows that the AF if fantastic, except that it isn't. It's pretty good but not fantastic.. The AF on the 1Dsiii and the 1Dsii is just as good.

-- hide signature --

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,228Gear list
Like?

My 1DsMkII is far better than my 1DMkIV. Could just be a one off situation or the way I use the cameras, but is smokes the new body at everything focus related.

Regarding BMW. The motorcycles are actually good, and built well. (insert list of BMW motorcycles I've owned over the years here) I have relatives with the cars, and they are not happy about maintaining them after warranty, since that's when expensive things really start to break.

BMW's success is marketing and design, which translates into prestige for the owner, sort of like Apple, except without the iPod. he he

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?

I am not sure why Canon is #1, but I do know that I preferred the Sony sensor in the D600 and RX1 and A99. Unfortunately, the D600 I bought has spots on the sensor. The RX1 suffers from slow AF speeds (and I didn't mind only have a 35mm lens because I love that focal length). And the A99 is expensive and loses too much light to the mirror for my tastes, which cuts into the reason I want that a FF sensor. So, the 6D won by default. But if Nikon has better quality control then I wouldn't have thought twice about sticking with that camera. That being said, I am very happy with my 6D and I'll be a Canon person well into the future.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

aftab wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

so many misguided people keep buying the same rebel for past 3-5 years.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
meland
Like?
In reply to nekrosoft13, Apr 26, 2013

nekrosoft13 wrote:

so many misguided people keep buying the same rebel for past 3-5 years.

Are you one of the misguided?

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,411
Like?
Service and quality!
In reply to rebel99, Apr 26, 2013

I made a HUGE mistake in buying a Nikon D600.  The IQ is fantastic... but the camera was a dustbin from the factory and Nikon customer service what little there is of it is poor beyond belief.

If Nikon had built a well-made D600 and had real customer service then Canon might need to worry but good product support is invaluable when purchasing this type of camera and Nikon just doesn't have a clue.

roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?

Rick Knepper wrote:

Given the latest financial results for the 2 companies and Nikon's QC issues "go for broke" seems particularly appropriate for Nikon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads