D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions
Pingpongrallyon
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
D600 vs d7100
Apr 26, 2013

Hi. I am looking to buy a Dslr for taking photo of my 1 year old son. I can afford either a d600 or a d7100. Which one should I get? Thanks.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,885
Like?
How much experience with cameras do you have?
In reply to Pingpongrallyon, Apr 26, 2013

Notext

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mdiphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Re: D600 vs d7100

One point is that a D600 needs more expensive lenses (FX). You should also calculate which lenses you will need...

lera ion
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?

D7000 or D800! D7100 poor color, D 600 dust and oil.

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 +1 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
In reply to lera ion, Apr 26, 2013

lera ion wrote:

D7100 poor color? Source/example ?

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,772
Like?
In reply to mdiphoto, Apr 26, 2013

mdiphoto wrote:

One point is that a D600 needs more expensive lenses (FX). You should also calculate which lenses you will need...

It is the other way around.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,818
Like?

You can take photos of your son with an iPhone. What feature and/or quality do you want to get from a DSLR? Knowing that will help determine which of the two is more appropriate.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

lera ion
Like?
In reply to Zlik, Apr 26, 2013

Zlik wrote:

lera ion wrote:

D7100 vs D7000, D800,  my first impression by DPR samples gallerry.

Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094Gear list
Like?
Agree, and ...
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 26, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

mdiphoto wrote:

It is the other way around.

Agree. Particularly when considering many of the lens releases of the past years, and how well they would fit for someone aiming at shooting images of their 1 year old kid. Nowadays FX gives more bang for the buck in terms of lenses and many everyday shooting situations. And that even without looking at equivalence in terms of DOF control and light gathering.

Combining lenses like the (new or fairly new) 18-35/3.5-4.5, 24-85/3.5-4.5, the 28/1.8, the 50/1.8, and the 85/1.8 with a D600 produces a (potential) kit which is hard to beat for any roughly equivalent DX kit, both in terms of actual price and in terms of photographic usefulness.

Had the OP predominately been a bird shooter then the story would have different though.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Grevture
Like?
Get real facts before making strong assertions

lera ion wrote:

Zlik wrote:

lera ion wrote:

D7100 vs D7000, D800,  my first impression by DPR samples gallerry.

If you are going to make strong statements like the one you started out with, you really need to have substantially more solid evidence then web sample images, regardless of how diligently they have been produced.

Only very limited conclusions about colors in cameras can be made from web images at all, and particularly when they (unless you refer to the studio shots) have not even been shot in the same light conditions.

If you (or someone you refer to) have shot the cameras you compare side by side in the same conditions, then you can start to make some believable statements about default colors in the out-of-camera-jpegs. But even out-of-camera jpegs can be tweaked quite a bit, and if one compare raw files color is very much affected by raw conversion workflow and several other factors.

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Blackdog68
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?

It depends how you want to shoot and your reasons for choosing a DSLR.  Will you be using the camera in Auto mode usually and letting the camera make decisions?  Are you already familiar with how DSLRs work, the different modes, specifically A mode?

If you honestly don't see yourself going beyond Auto mode, I would go with the D7100 (or a lower spec'd model).

If you do plan on using A mode and your primary interest is nice pix of your child with creamy smooth unfocussed backgrounds, the D600 would be the best choice, so long as you could afford a good fast lens.  If possible, I'd purchase the 85F1.8 with it and you'd have an extremely-capable, child-portrait/candid combination that would produce a shallower depth of field than any comparable lens on the D7100.

They are both excellent cameras and you can't really go wrong, but the main issue is your budget.  Better lenses is where you should be spending your money.  If the D600 taps you out and you'd be shooting primarily with the 25-85 kit (which is a good lens), I'd  buy the D7100 with a Sigma 50/1.4(or the Nikon 50/1.4) and a Nikon 28/1.8 for less than the D600 kit.  Shooting fast primes on the D7100  will produce better child portraits with nice smooth unfocussed backgrounds, better than using the kit lens on the D600.

RichLI
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree, and ...
In reply to Grevture, Apr 26, 2013

As an owner of a D600 (after upgrading now three times in 4 years from a D90, then D300 to this affordable fx model) this body produces amazing iq. Not to pick a fight with the folks that report oil spots - I've never seen them and imagine the "silent majority" (now there's a phrase that dates me...) haven't either - so you decide. I did these upgrades of the body - and now working on the lenses - as this is just a really enjoyable avocation.

Would definitely go with the FX (D600) for crop flexibility. Primary negative from my perspective of the D600 is the small focus spot area. But - the controls are Nikon's consumer level controls on an FX body - for the first time dslr buyer best of both worlds.

IF you think you'll really get into this for more than just 1yr old snaps, suggest D600 so you start out with FX lenses rather than having a bunch of DX lenses which don't transition well on what is now becoming a more practical eventual  upgrade (read more reasonable cost of D600) to fx.

Haven't really tried the D7100 but predict this is an easier handling body especially from the focusing perspective. You will though be giving up the fx crop capability where you can literally create zoom into the smallest fraction of your initial shot to create a final photo.

craft>learning>equipment

RichLI's gear list:RichLI's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Canon Pixma Pro-100 +1 more
lock
Like?
In reply to RichLI, Apr 26, 2013

RichLI wrote:You will though be giving up the fx crop capability where you can literally create zoom into the smallest fraction of your initial shot to create a final photo.

craft>learning>equipment

Th d7100 has an additional 1.3 crop. And young kids do move fast so you may prefer a fast AF. Although I have to admit tgw d600 is not exactly slow...

MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?

I think all the buy a D600 hype is a little premature without knowing your skill level.  If you're willing to learn but are starting out I'd start much lower in the food chain, maybe even a D5200.  And anyone saying FX is cheaper needs to better explain that one.  Aside from the holes in DX (like no fast prime below the 35 1.8) it's still cheaper, unless you insist on only buying Nikon branded lenses.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 +13 more
lera ion
Like?

DPR not say, D600 AF button (multi-controller) functionaliti is difficult if you're left-eyed.

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Not true, especially if you consider 3rd party options...
In reply to Grevture, Apr 26, 2013

Grevture wrote:

Combining lenses like the (new or fairly new) 18-35/3.5-4.5, 24-85/3.5-4.5, the 28/1.8, the 50/1.8, and the 85/1.8 with a D600 produces a (potential) kit which is hard to beat for any roughly equivalent DX kit, both in terms of actual price and in terms of photographic usefulness.

The only lens that you can;t replicate in the above list is the 28 1.8; wide angle primes is the one area DX will fall short on every time.

But considering that the 35 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 replace (roughly) the 50 & 85, and any (cheaper) DX kit lens will replace the 24-85, and that there are a number of very strong wide-to-ultra options for DX (Tokina 11-16 or 12-24, Nikon 12-24 and 10-24), with the Tokinas costing a good bit less than the new Nikkor wide angle, I think you can assemble a low-price DX kit for less money than you can an equivalent DX kit.

Assuming, of course, that you're willing to forgo the fast wide angle prime. And that's always been the sore spot now, hasn't it?

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Grevture
Like?
Try again
In reply to paulski66, Apr 26, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

Grevture wrote:

The only lens that you can;t replicate in the above list is the 28 1.8; wide angle primes is the one area DX will fall short on every time.

But considering that the 35 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 replace (roughly) the 50 & 85, and any (cheaper) DX kit lens will replace the 24-85, and that there are a number of very strong wide-to-ultra options for DX (Tokina 11-16 or 12-24, Nikon 12-24 and 10-24), with the Tokinas costing a good bit less than the new Nikkor wide angle, I think you can assemble a low-price DX kit for less money than you can an equivalent DX kit.

Assuming, of course, that you're willing to forgo the fast wide angle prime. And that's always been the sore spot now, hasn't it?

Well, then factor in things like DOF control and light gathering (of a FX sensor) in the equation and the DX option has noticeable less performance for the same money. And aside from light gathering and DOF control, the lens on a 24 MP DX camera need to deliver 1.5 times higher resolution then a lens on a 24 MP FX camera to produce similar output resolution.

So no, any f3.5-5.6 kit zoom on a DX sensor will not offer a similiar performance as the 24-85/3.5-4.5 does on a FX sensor. For that you will need to buy a more expensive DX lens, like a AF-S 17-55/2.8. The same principle applies for DX wide angle zoom compared to the 18-35/3.5-4.5.

The area where DX still has a advantage is in the price of the camera itself and in telephoto where the crop factor mean you often can get away with cheaper lenses.

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

lera ion
Like?
In reply to RichLI, Apr 26, 2013

My D600 is not ready. December to April, shop-teste-Nikon service-teste-Nikon service-teste-Nikon...''87%'' of the time is dust and oil!

lock
Like?
Same with d800.

Though less of a problem if you do not wear glasses. However, if you do wear them if the right eyed user would have problems with the ael/aef button on the d7100. That does not happen on a d600, at least not with my glasses.

Lock

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,356Gear list
Like?

D600 for people shooting, no question.  Gorgeous is the word.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads