Just published: Our in-depth Nikon D7100 review

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Amadou Diallo
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Just published: Our in-depth Nikon D7100 review
Apr 25, 2013

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know we've put up our 25-page Nikon D7100 review. Does the lack of an AA filter have a meaningful effect? Is low light performance as good as the D600? Is moiré an issue for video shooters? And most importantly, What's that little 'i' button on the back of the camera for? Click here to find out.

-- hide signature --

Amadou Diallo
dpreview.com

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,032
Like?
Thank you
In reply to Amadou Diallo, Apr 25, 2013

Amadou Diallo wrote:

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know  we've just put up our Nikon D7100 review. Does the lack of an AA filter have a meaningful effect? Is low light performance as good as the D600? Is moiré an issue for video shooters? And most importantly, What's that little 'i' button on the back of the camera for? Click here to find out.

Than you for your time and effort. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amicah22
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 25, 2013

Looks like a great camera, with class leading low iso and great dynamic range.  I had a both a pentax k20d and a  nikon d7000 and this camera made the choice on which system to stay with difficult.  Thanks for the review.

amicah22's gear list:amicah22's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax Optio A30 Pentax Optio S5i Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +19 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,022Gear list
Like?
Re: Just published: Our in-depth Nikon D7100 review

Unfortunate that the staff couldn't see the difference between the D5200 and the D7100.  Maybe if they had looked here.

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359
Like?
Great job! Thank You!!!

Yes it really is a Golden camera...

Worth it's price....

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
They did
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 25, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Unfortunate that the staff couldn't see the difference between the D5200 and the D7100.  Maybe if they had looked here.

They did see the difference...and noted well it's impact in practical terms

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?
Re: They did
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 26, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

We tell people not to pixel peep and then say "there's a difference", but it's only noticeable by pixel peeping.  No wonder people are confused

There's no practical difference, and for most, there won't be an appreciable difference between the D7000 and D5200/D7100.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
In reply to sshoihet, Apr 26, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

We tell people not to pixel peep and then say "there's a difference", but it's only noticeable by pixel peeping.  No wonder people are confused

There's no practical difference, and for most, there won't be an appreciable difference between the D7000 and D5200/D7100.

As a D800e owner, I can say without any question that there is a major practical difference on each and every shot I take compared to the D7000 I owned and put 30K shots on.  It's not subtle or hard to spot at all.  It's there in the slamming color intensity and delicate airy filigreed details visible at any magnification, not just pixel peeping time.  It's breathtaking, and a dream come true for one who has done the whole gamut from Brownie to 4X5 and each stop along the digital path.

You guys will get it sooner or later, when you upgrade and your whole perception of what is sharp and what isn't will get moved up a major notch.  The fact that Nikon has come alarmingly close to the D800 with the D7100 is a great achievement, one which will evidently take some time to appreciate.  There's nothing new here.  Just as the D7000 did for the D90, so the D7100 will do for the 16MP cameras.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 26, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

As a D800e owner, I can say without any question that there is a major practical difference on each and every shot I take compared to the D7000 I owned and put 30K shots on.  It's not subtle or hard to spot at all.  It's there in the slamming color intensity and delicate airy filigreed details visible at any magnification, not just pixel peeping time.  It's breathtaking, and a dream come true for one who has done the whole gamut from Brownie to 4X5 and each stop along the digital path.

You guys will get it sooner or later, when you upgrade and your whole perception of what is sharp and what isn't will get moved up a major notch.  The fact that Nikon has come alarmingly close to the D800 with the D7100 is a great achievement, one which will evidently take some time to appreciate.  There's nothing new here.  Just as the D7000 did for the D90, so the D7100 will do for the 16MP cameras.

I would like to know how DPR interprets a noise graph in which the D7100 equals the D7000 for the lowest chrominance noise of all APS-C bodies as being at the bottom of the APS-C pack.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

As a D800e owner, I can say without any question that there is a major practical difference on each and every shot I take compared to the D7000 I owned and put 30K shots on.

How do you define practical?

It's not subtle or hard to spot at all.  It's there in the slamming color intensity and delicate airy filigreed details visible at any magnification, not just pixel peeping time.  It's breathtaking, and a dream come true for one who has done the whole gamut from Brownie to 4X5 and each stop along the digital path.

That would make since as they are different sensors with different ADC's

Yes, the D7100 compared to the D8000 is indeed amazing. In practical terms....regards sharpness alone...not so much D5200 to D7100. Resolution is a different story as well, but in terms of practical photography...most can't tell.

-- hide signature --

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?

Yes, the D7100 compared to the D8000 is indeed amazing. In practical terms....regards sharpness alone...not so much D5200 to D7100. Resolution is a different story as well, but in terms of practical photography...most can't tell

Mmmm, I think they can.  The Nikon samples page alone would be a pretty big step up in every department from the D5200.  It's not just sharpness, either.  We don't have very many D5200 owners in this forum for some reason, not like we have 5100 owners.  If any of you D5200 owners want to wow us with "no practical difference" compared to the D7100, step right up, by all means.  Ask for Mr. Blue :^)

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
All they have....

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

If any of you D5200 owners want to wow us with "no practical difference" compared to the D7100, step right up, by all means.  Ask for Mr. Blue :^)

All they have to say is "I never print much bigger than 8x10 or post on facebook" and they would be correct... no practical difference. That really is the case for all but a very very tiny group who buy the D5200. DPR would be correct.

-- hide signature --

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?
Basically Equates to My Experience w/Mine... Great!
In reply to Amadou Diallo, Apr 26, 2013

AND.... being a Jpeg shooter (for the most part), it is nice to see Nikon finally produce a really solid body that renders really nice Jpegs!  I'm a very happy camper!

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621
Like?

Yes, the D7100 compared to the D8000 is indeed amazing. In practical terms....regards sharpness alone...not so much D5200 to D7100. Resolution is a different story as well, but in terms of practical photography...most can't tell

Mmmm, I think they can.  The Nikon samples page alone would be a pretty big step up in every department from the D5200.  It's not just sharpness, either.  We don't have very many D5200 owners in this forum for some reason, not like we have 5100 owners.  If any of you D5200 owners want to wow us with "no practical difference" compared to the D7100, step right up, by all means.  Ask for Mr. Blue :^)

I sort of feel the same way. It's not the outright resolution that you notice, but the quality of the resolution that you can eek out. Hence the review comment about being a good JPEG camera. That's a result of having more sampling. Even if you can't make out more tightly spaced detail, you notice that the detail that is made out with the D7100 is finer. However, yes... It's not enough to care about if you are happy with your camera and aren't looking to print bigger... Assuming you don't want the AF upgrade. Since most buyers of dSLR's are prone to the "buy more than I need" phenomenon (me included), I think DPR's summation is correct for a good majority of eventual buyers.
--
http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to Amadou Diallo, Apr 26, 2013

Looks excellent - just developed the ISO100 shot in C1 and although it may not look "Sharper" than a NEX7 or D5200 with the same processing settings, it`s a damn sight more refined and the fine detail is better defined .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
halfamo
Contributing MemberPosts: 606
Like?

Mako2011 wrote:

Yes, the D7100 compared to the D8000 is indeed amazing. In practical terms....regards sharpness alone...not so much D5200 to D7100. Resolution is a different story as well, but in terms of practical photography...most can't tell.

Please would you explain a bit more.

Are you saying the D7100 is close to the overall picture quality of the D800 ?

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,710Gear list
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Apr 26, 2013

thx for the review...confirms for me...not to buy it .  Unless Canon does zip. Which is unlikely.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,756Gear list
Like?
Noise performance comments updated...
In reply to mosswings, Apr 26, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I would like to know how DPR interprets a noise graph in which the D7100 equals the D7000 for the lowest chrominance noise of all APS-C bodies as being at the bottom of the APS-C pack.

If anyone cares, DPR corrected their comments on the Noise page of the review to reflect what the samples and graphs are actually showing. If you want higher resolution, the D7100 will give it to you at no cost in noise performance, outside of a few warts at extremely low levels.

AA filter or no AA filter, the D7100 AND the D5200 are performing right at the very highest levels possible for a DX sensor, and this gives the photog willing to post-process a lot more options for making images - if the subject isn't rapidly moving, the options are pretty amazing.  Image stacking, advanced NR at higher ISOs with lots of held detail, lots of things.  That's the real story of this camera.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
Re: Noise performance comments updated...
In reply to mosswings, Apr 26, 2013

mosswings wrote:

mosswings wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

If anyone cares, DPR corrected their comments on the Noise page of the review to reflect what the samples and graphs are actually showing. If you want higher resolution, the D7100 will give it to you at no cost in noise performance, outside of a few warts at extremely low levels.

AA filter or no AA filter, the D7100 AND the D5200 are performing right at the very highest levels possible for a DX sensor, and this gives the photog willing to post-process a lot more options for making images - if the subject isn't rapidly moving, the options are pretty amazing.  Image stacking, advanced NR at higher ISOs with lots of held detail, lots of things.  That's the real story of this camera.

A good summation.  Lots to like about this camera.  Another Mike has opined that with really good lenses, this camera is on another level, which tallies perfectly with the insane res visible on the Nikon samples.  With the noise and resolution aspects in the bank, the debate now moves to what lenses will get excellent results with the D7100.  The 18-105VR has been found wanting by DPR.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
In reply to halfamo, Apr 26, 2013

halfamo wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Please would you explain a bit more.

Are you saying the D7100 is close to the overall picture quality of the D800 ?

I'm saying that in relative terms...it's amazing how the two cameras compare. APS-C and FF have come a long way.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads