6d too much detail

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,983
Like?
Re: Dead serious
In reply to GHwell, May 17, 2013

Like others, this assessment has me scratching my head a bit. Yes, there is a large degree of subjectivity with this sort of thing, but...

One of the things I particularly enjoy about the 6D is the selectable raw file size, specifically 5, 10 or 20 megapixels. If the highest setting provides "too much detail", then one obvious solution is to simply dial down the capture resolution, saving it for those times when you really can appreciate it, such as in a landscape photo or large group shot.

The 5D was a fine camera. It's still plenty useable, of course, but the 6D does truly eclipse it in practically every respect.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: 6d too much detail

if post processing is not in your menu because of time constraints... like in the old days; we use soft filters. get yourself a decent one and be happy with it. my 2 cents.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

You should PP.  I use Imagenomic plug-in for LR4 that works great.  You can choose different levels of smoothness.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?

The camera is just one tool used to take portrait and wedding photos. Specialized lighting techniques are usually employed so pores and wrinkles have no shadows and beyond that there are editing techniques to improve skin and facial symmetry.

If you are serious, and this would make a great joke post, it's time for you to head back to school or at the very least hang out in the group dedicated portrait and people for a while.

You should also be able to find professional workshops where you can practice your craft see what others are achieving working with the same location and models.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur
5DMKII - 5DMKII Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,605Gear list
Like?
Re: I shoot raw 95 % of the time

GHwell wrote:

I know how to do post.   Been doing it for 12 years. Built my company on doing restoration and touch up.    I like to get it right in camera with as little post as possible.   I will stick with the 5d for portraits and the 6d for low light and video.  That is why I purchased anyway.   PS I just did a dog breeder and got the same complaint that the pictures were too sharp.     I shot them with the 5d in raw.  I had to soften every shot to make the sale.

Try setting the high ISO noise reduction to High and see if that softens up the out of camera pictures enough.

edit: Also be sure the picture style you are using has Sharpeness set to 0 and Contrast set to Low, like the Neutral Picture Style or create your own Custom Picture Style

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 6D +24 more
seragram
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

Send it back. You must have bad copy. Or get 7D (as has been reported here, with its soft image and noise it should hide any detail. LOL

seragram's gear list:seragram's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?

And my car consumes too little fuel per mile...

GHwell wrote:

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
Scorehound
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to GHwell, May 18, 2013

Umm, have you considered that the lens might be the cause of your detail issues? What lens were you using?

I've never heard of someone complaining of too much detail in a camera. Funny.   I'm more of a "give me more detail" person.

Scorehound's gear list:Scorehound's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +5 more
Scorehound
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Re: Dead serious

GHwell wrote:

I was not pleased with the skin

Sorry, but that is not a camera issue. I have a 6D and I take portraits all of the time and I am impressed with it's capabilities. It is all about the post processing. If there is too much detail, reduce it.

Scorehound's gear list:Scorehound's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +5 more
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

You should PP.  I use Imagenomic plug-in for LR4 that works great.  You can choose different levels of smoothness.

-- hide signature --

negative Clarity w adjustment brush is a quick n dirty option

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,349Gear list
Like?

GHwell wrote:

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

I've got an old Caon D30 for you then.

I've used a Canon 1Ds2, Nikon D800 and Canon 7D...for weddings and portaiture....all cameras that beat the  5D in resolving power.  It's all about your processing technique and the print size.  Hopefully you are not making this assessment by looking at your screen at 100%.  For prints I've made from all these cameras including the 5D, post processing needs to be done, whether the print is 8x10 or 30x45....print sizes I've produced from all of them.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Like?
Re: time is money\\\\

GHwell wrote:

do not PP when you do not have to.   get it right in camera

Are you serious?

Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Like?
The truth of the matter is this......
In reply to sean lancaster, May 18, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

GHwell wrote:

I said I do not like to spend time in PP when I can get it right in the camera.   I do restoration and retouch for my company and others.  It is not like I do not know how, I just do not want to do it when I do not have to on my work.

Again, I don't think you even read my post before responding. My solution had nothing to do with post processing other than noting that you don't want to waste time on it. Your responses to me are only about post processing. Sigh. I'll repeat my solution . . . buy a cheap, 3rd party zoom lens for your Canon 6D (e.g., a Tamron super zoom) and you won't get as sharp of images. No post processing required and you can probably find one for $150. Carry one camera and add the zoom lens to your bag. When you show a customer a test shot with a good lens and they complain then pull out the Tamron and go to town.

I suggest he slap a softening filter on his lenses so no one ever claims his shot are too sharp.  That said, I dont think there is a customer making this claim at all.  The sharpness and resolution would look very similar out of camera at prints 12x18 and smaller.  Hopefully he is not trying to convince us he was producing prints 16x24 and larger with doing no post processing.

Actually, after reading some of his posts, it is now obvious there never was a client making this claim at all.  According to him, he doesnt print larger than 8x10.  Withthat in mind, there is no difference between the 6D and 5D in resolving power.  This whole discussion has been a waste of time.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51413059

The Davinator
Like?
Nice try

GHwell wrote:

But as you don't print larger than 8X10....no client would notice a difference in resolving power between the two cameras.  As such, I dont think your post is factual, nor do I think there was even a client.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51413059

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Weirdest/most uninformed thread ever!
In reply to GHwell, May 19, 2013

Cameras dont take good pics, people do.

Again, this is an issue about lack of knowledge about basic lightening for portrait pictures! Nothing to do about the camera. This is almost silly. Like a hunter claiming his rifle is too accurate...

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
The Davinator
Like?
Re: Weirdest/most uninformed thread ever!
In reply to MrScorpio, May 19, 2013

MrScorpio wrote:

Cameras dont take good pics, people do.

Again, this is an issue about lack of knowledge about basic lightening for portrait pictures! Nothing to do about the camera. This is almost silly. Like a hunter claiming his rifle is too accurate...

-- hide signature --

It's a fraud...the OP only makes 8x10 prints anyway.

John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,283
Like?
In reply to GHwell, May 19, 2013

GHwell wrote:

Are you downsizing the images before printing them?  If you are using the "nearest neighbor" method, stop right here; it is garbage for general use, and is only useful for certain purposes if you truly understand what it does and know what you are doing.  "Nearest neighbor" increases sharp artifacts and noise.  Something like "bicubic smoother" might be better for what you are doing.

If you are feeding the full image to a print driver, it also may be using nearest neighbor.  If you can figure out how it or the program downsamples the image first, you might be better off making it that resolution with "bicubic smoother", yourself.

You could turn off sharpening in the converter stage as well, or in-camera with a custom function for portraits, if you're shooting JPEG or your converter honors the in-camera settings.

More diffuse lighting may help, too, so the facial features do not cast shadows.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, May 19, 2013

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

-- hide signature --

negative Clarity w adjustment brush is a quick n dirty option

Yes it's true.  However I found negative Clarity also affects contrast and colors and you will need to move other bars to balance it.  Here is a 100% cropped sample from the showgirl in this year NYC Autoshow.

Yeah, 5D3+70-200L/2.8 IS II is deadly sharp even at F2.8 wide open, even with LR4 default (virtually none) sharpening (and no screen output sharpening) in imperfect skin

directly out of LR4 with no sharpening

Now with Imagenomic plug-in installed, it's as easy as just exporting to a device called 'Imagenomic' (with normal smoothness from selections) instead of a device called Hard Disk   I even added "low" screen output sharpness.

Thru Imagenomic plug-in

Entire photo looks like this

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads