6d too much detail

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,586Gear list
Like?
P.S. the customer is always right...
In reply to NancyP, Apr 26, 2013

All you gear-heads, if GHWells says the customers like it less sharp, well, the customer is always right! Else, no sale!

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GHwell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,563Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get me wrong
In reply to NancyP, Apr 26, 2013

I love the 6d and all of the improvements.   But time is money and if I can shoot a portrait that is going to be only a 16x20 or smaller the 5d will still save me time in post.   Plus I have two 5d bodies that work perfectly.  No way am I just going to dump them in the trash.  If I was going really big I would shoot the 6d in a min.   I have many uses for the 6d.  I will be testing  a setting of

0  0  0  0  setting in the styles menu for better results.

I had it set to match the 5d at  2  1  1  1  0

GHwell
Like?
Re: time is money\\\\
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 26, 2013

do not PP when you do not have to.   get it right in camera

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
You missed April 1st
In reply to GHwell, Apr 26, 2013

GHwell wrote:

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

There must be some irony here I am missing 

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?

GHwell wrote:

Um, why did you write this response to me? My response to you started with, "Since PP is out of the picture, perhaps you could . . ." because I knew you said you don't PP.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
STR54
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: 6d too much detail

I do not have the 6D, just the T2i. But in my old film days shooting with a Pentax 67 I would screw on a Tiffen Soft F/X filter to the lens. The effect was usually effective in toning down skin detail.:-) Say the effect was effective FAST five times.

STR54's gear list:STR54's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
GHwell
Like?
Re: never said I don't PP
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 26, 2013

I said I do not like to spend time in PP when I can get it right in the camera.   I do restoration and retouch for my company and others.  It is not like I do not know how, I just do not want to do it when I do not have to on my work.

Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 26, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

As the saying goes the Camera never lies LOl  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Or it just could be the bride forgot to shave in the morning:-)

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Re: You missed April 1st
In reply to harold1968, Apr 26, 2013

Unfortunately there is no irony. Just a guy who does not understand the basics of lightening and blaims the camera of taking too sharp pics. Have you ever heard such strange argumentation before? Hahahaha...

harold1968 wrote:

GHwell wrote:

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

There must be some irony here I am missing 

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?
Re: never said I don't PP
In reply to GHwell, Apr 27, 2013

GHwell wrote:

I said I do not like to spend time in PP when I can get it right in the camera.   I do restoration and retouch for my company and others.  It is not like I do not know how, I just do not want to do it when I do not have to on my work.

Again, I don't think you even read my post before responding. My solution had nothing to do with post processing other than noting that you don't want to waste time on it. Your responses to me are only about post processing. Sigh. I'll repeat my solution . . . buy a cheap, 3rd party zoom lens for your Canon 6D (e.g., a Tamron super zoom) and you won't get as sharp of images. No post processing required and you can probably find one for $150. Carry one camera and add the zoom lens to your bag. When you show a customer a test shot with a good lens and they complain then pull out the Tamron and go to town.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?

You can easily fix photos that are "too sharp". But it's much more difficult, if not impossible in some cases, to fix photos that aren't sharp enough in the first place.

You can always easily cut a board shorter. It's much more difficult to make it longer.

talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrewsf, Apr 27, 2013

andrewsf wrote:

Perhaps you just need to learn to process the images or light the subject better? Saying a camera captures too much detail is almost the dumbest thing I've ever read on this gear obsessed forum.

If that is almost the dumbest thing you have ever heard then you haven't been in this forum very long. I've personally made much dumber statements than that.  In fact here goes another attempt.

The OP has a real point.  If you don't shoot professionally you might not see it.  Or if you take smaller batches of photos you might not care. I take a lot of portraits 300+ people a year in two large groups. I'll be honest, you take a 5D MKIII and you pair it with a 70-200 MKII Studio lights at f 5.6, man that adds up to  a lot of post processing.  Some how I ended up going from being a part time photographer to a full time dermatologist.  If you are shifting from 5D to 6D, the AF and MP can make an impact on your throughput.

I just suck it up though and am glad they aren't blurry.  I can't retake them, so getting it as accurately as possible the first time is important to me.  Even if it means more PP.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,987
Like?
In reply to NancyP, Apr 27, 2013

NancyP wrote:

It's all in the post-processing. Still, if the 5D saves you time, that's the camera for you!

I also don't send my (portrait) clients full rez images, at least not initially. Some Windows picture viewers open the image to full size immediately and it can be shocking to see the detail close up on a person's face if you're not expecting that. Try sending your clients proofs at 20% size. They'll never complain about too much detail.

Dougbm_2
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, Apr 27, 2013

24Peter wrote:

NancyP wrote:

It's all in the post-processing. Still, if the 5D saves you time, that's the camera for you!

I also don't send my (portrait) clients full rez images, at least not initially. Some Windows picture viewers open the image to full size immediately and it can be shocking to see the detail close up on a person's face if you're not expecting that. Try sending your clients proofs at 20% size. They'll never complain about too much detail.

One of the few intelligent and polite responses to a genuine issue someone is having. I found the same with a 5Dc and a 70-200 f4 IS lens. I simply added a small amount of blur. As one poster said you can't make a blurry photo sharper but you can do the reverse.

Dougbm_2's gear list:Dougbm_2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to andrewsf, Apr 27, 2013

I saw this tread in the top posts & I did not read this whole thread, sorry if I am duplicating.

Just had a similar thing happen with my D600 taking some close up family portraits.   Seeing every hair, blemish & pore made a couple people unhappy with the pics at 8x10 - lol!   I had to tone back the resolution to make them happy.  I never thought this day would happen!

Guess we have hit sufficiency for portraits, know the landscape and wildlife gang always need more...

Rock on Nikon and Canon for these great tools!

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,479Gear list
Like?

GHwell wrote:

I always thought that 12 MP (or thereabout) was just right for a great number of photographers. I want Canon and Nikon to do more for this segment of photographers instead of pursuing 'higher pixels suits all' attitude.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Fat Dragon
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?

GHwell wrote:

A softer lens, a lens at too-wide an aperture, in-camera sharpness reduction or Noise reduction... Otherwise, you could just batch PP reducing the sharpness; takes just a minute of your time and your CPU does the rest.

Considering how much people spend and how hard they work to get sharp shots, it seems like reducing the sharpness of your shots should be a breeze, just don't do what they're doing.

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johnyguy, Apr 27, 2013

Johnyguy wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

As the saying goes the Camera never lies LOl  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Or it just could be the bride forgot to shave in the morning:-)

LOL  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Ubiquity99
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to talico, Apr 27, 2013

talico wrote:

andrewsf wrote:

Perhaps you just need to learn to process the images or light the subject better? Saying a camera captures too much detail is almost the dumbest thing I've ever read on this gear obsessed forum.

If that is almost the dumbest thing you have ever heard then you haven't been in this forum very long. I've personally made much dumber statements than that.  In fact here goes another attempt.

The OP has a real point.  If you don't shoot professionally you might not see it.  Or if you take smaller batches of photos you might not care. I take a lot of portraits 300+ people a year in two large groups. I'll be honest, you take a 5D MKIII and you pair it with a 70-200 MKII Studio lights at f 5.6, man that adds up to  a lot of post processing.  Some how I ended up going from being a part time photographer to a full time dermatologist.  If you are shifting from 5D to 6D, the AF and MP can make an impact on your throughput.

I just suck it up though and am glad they aren't blurry.  I can't retake them, so getting it as accurately as possible the first time is important to me.  Even if it means more PP.

Tom

You can batch process a lot of things. Skin smoothing is especially easy to batch process.

talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ubiquity99, Apr 27, 2013

Ubiquity99 wrote:

You can batch process a lot of things. Skin smoothing is especially easy to batch process.

I will usually take about 5-7 portraits per kid ranging from Full body to head shots.  It seems like batch processing skin would work well on the same type of face in the same type of pose.  One o f my fears with automation is that it will fail a certain percentage of the time, and if I have to closely check every portrait, I might as well do it myself.

There probably is a way to do what I need in Photoshop, I just haven't learned it yet.  I actually try to get away with using Aperture for most of the light work.

Tom

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads