6d too much detail

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
GHwell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?
6d too much detail
Apr 25, 2013

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: 6d too much detail
In reply to GHwell, Apr 25, 2013

GHwell wrote:

after comparing the close ups of my wedding couple  the old 5d gives a better smoother skin than the 6d.   The 6d has too much detail showing every fine hair on the womans face.   I am sure that is not going to please her.   Male skin looked very rough and the skin pores were hugh.

Have you been thinking to get the original rebel film camera to fix the issue you have its much cheaper than the 6D! 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,178
Like?
Apply a lot of NR (noise reduction)...

GHwell wrote:

...or use the 5D.

bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,931
Like?

Export smaller files.

Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,195Gear list
Like?

Your lenses are too clean.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
Brad Evans
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?

Easy to solve problem...

Use a bit of negative Clarity in Lightroom or ACR. You'll then create more flattering portraits...

Brad

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to GHwell, Apr 26, 2013

These effects are likely to be morea result of the size and placement of the light source than the tech specifics of the camera. You can get super smooth skin with a D800 when using light correctly.

The sun on a sunny day often produces terrible skin, but the same sun on an overcast day produces nice soft skin as the whole sky then acts like a giant softbox.

For extremely good reading on the subject I recommend the book "Photographic lighting, science and magic".

BR

Marcus

GHwell wrote:

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
rstone
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Brad Evans, Apr 26, 2013

Brad Evans wrote:

Easy to solve problem...

Use a bit of negative Clarity in Lightroom or ACR. You'll then create more flattering portraits...

Brad

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

Agree, or alternately, any good wedding/portrait photographer should have one of the below.

http://imagenomic.com/pt.aspx

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/?gclid=CKLyx8mU57YCFUNgMgodY10APA

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,263Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johnyguy, Apr 26, 2013

As the saying goes the Camera never lies LOl  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 6D +8 more
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?

Perhaps you just need to learn to process the images or light the subject better? Saying a camera captures too much detail is almost the dumbest thing I've ever read on this gear obsessed forum.

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +1 more
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,745Gear list
Like?
This is what Photoshop et al are for

GHwell wrote:

I'm sure you don't want a camera that smoothes skin simply because it isn't capturing enough detail.

Plus, at normal print sizes for wedding albums, I can't imagine the issue.

However you resolve this issue and you will, having the ability to capture more detail is good to have for those times when you need to capture more detail.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +16 more
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?

GHwell wrote:

Try Nik Software 'Sharpener' or any other app that includes a 'Structure' control. Turn down the Structure characteristic and paint that adjustment on skin where you want less detail.

gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?

GHwell wrote:

This is a first.  I have never heard anyone complain about a camera being too sharp.

You were complaining about the 6D manual earlier.  Did you read it? You could shoot in JPEG and put the camera in portrait mode.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +5 more
keithinmelbourne
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
I think you're on the wong forum. There is a comedy one. Right? (nt)
 keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +19 more
Learnphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to gfspencer, Apr 26, 2013

I feel that my 6D handling and ergonomics are so user friendly that I have problem with it.

Ubiquity99
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Learnphotography, Apr 26, 2013

Smear some Vasoline on your lens. /s

GHwell
Like?
Re: I shoot raw 95 % of the time
In reply to gfspencer, Apr 26, 2013

I know how to do post.   Been doing it for 12 years. Built my company on doing restoration and touch up.    I like to get it right in camera with as little post as possible.   I will stick with the 5d for portraits and the 6d for low light and video.  That is why I purchased anyway.   PS I just did a dog breeder and got the same complaint that the pictures were too sharp.     I shot them with the 5d in raw.  I had to soften every shot to make the sale.

GHwell
Like?
Re: Dead serious
In reply to keithinmelbourne, Apr 26, 2013

I was not pleased with the skin

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,240Gear list
Like?
Re: I shoot raw 95 % of the time

GHwell wrote:

I know how to do post.   Been doing it for 12 years. Built my company on doing restoration and touch up.    I like to get it right in camera with as little post as possible.   I will stick with the 5d for portraits and the 6d for low light and video.  That is why I purchased anyway.   PS I just did a dog breeder and got the same complaint that the pictures were too sharp.     I shot them with the 5d in raw.  I had to soften every shot to make the sale.

I was operating under the assumption that the first post was a joke. Now I realize it wasn't.

Since PP is out of the picture, perhaps you could buy a cheap, used, 3rd party zoom lens and I assure you that you'll get less sharp images.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?

It's all in the post-processing. Still, if the 5D saves you time, that's the camera for you!

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads