Discovered the wonders of post processing!

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,710
Like?
Re: Fix this jpg shot
In reply to Michael Fritzen, Apr 26, 2013

Michael Fritzen wrote

perhaps you should have asked for a WB correction to be done in PS or another "normal" editing software. Because when I open this JPG file in my C1 V7.1.1 it's also only one click on the sand in the foreground to get a pretty reasonable corrected photo. I suppose that this works in LR the same way. Of course with less data to work with the final result will be worse than when starting off with a RAW file.

Hi Michael,

Interesting. ACR or DxO will give only garbage with the WB tool. I would have assumed because there isn't enough data to push the colors as far as needed in the jpg. I do not have C1.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dennismullen
Like?
In reply to dennismullen, Apr 26, 2013

I don't want to steal this thread but after these posts I found only one way to get good color results on jpgs with my software.

This is my version of the out of camera jpg with the color adjusted with the individual RGB level controls in Nik Vivesa 2. The individual RGB level controls in all my other software do not respond like this. Weird!

I still wouldn't want to use jpgs instead of raw though.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.

Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?

Here is my PP of your jpg image edited with Photoshop. Using the levels, white eyedropper on a white sand area (some trials to find the better spot) then reducing a bit the greens.

In my opinion is not terribly "awful"

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,536
Like?

Hardly to imagine someone might consider this off topic or "stealing the thread". At least in my understanding it points out to someone interested in the possibilities of PP that there is the easy way for fixing weird WB by shooting RAW but that also JPG shots may be salvaged. Simply the exchange of experiences

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

dennismullen
Like?
In reply to Claudio Galli, Apr 26, 2013

Hi Claudio,

Could you elaborate? What is the white eyedropper?
I am unaware of a WB tool like the one in ACR in Photoshop.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Claudio Galli
Like?

It is not a WB tool!

Open your jpg image in Photoshop, then add an adjustment layer (in my case the levels layer). In the window of the layer appears the levels diagram and, on the left of it tree eyedroppers (to choose the blacks, the mids or the whites). Choose the white eyedropper then click on the sand (a few trials are needed)

Here is a screenshot where you can see what I mean.

Claudio

Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
dennismullen
Like?

OK, I get it. Then select the individual colors one by one from the drop down list and slide the mid range slider to adjust each color. The Red makes a big difference.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
Re: Discovered the wonders of post processing!
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, Apr 26, 2013

_Fotogrfr_ wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

I have done similar post processing with jpeg x-fine images using iPhoto. Works well for me. Just saying that you don't necessarily need to shoot raw or raw+jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf

I agree completely.  You absolutely do not need to shoot RAW to dramatically improve images in post processing.  JPEGS now-a-days are very responsive to post processing tools.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Need?  No, don't need.  But much easier to fix RAW files, with more room for manipulation as well.

I've taken to shooting in RAW 99% of the time, but truthfully, there are times I should default to jpeg.  Sometimes I'm creating unnecessary work for myself, having to "process" photos, that would have been just fine SOOC in jpeg.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Claudio Galli
Like?

Agree!

Thanks to you

Claudio

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, Apr 26, 2013

I didn't want to shoot in RAW.

I only really got into photography a few months ago, and learning the ropes and reading up on it and practicing took a lot of time. The last thing I wanted to do was also shoot in RAW and convert every photo...

But I tried a few shots shot in RAW + JPG and processed each, and the RAW version came out noticeably better than the JPG each time.

So now I only shoot RAW. I process the best photos and leave most of the rest in RAW, or do a batch convert to JPG with a User Preset in Lightroom.

Yeah, it takes a little more time & effort, a little more (OK a lot more) hard drive space, and more learning as PP is a new skill to master. But it makes my photos that much better -- and saves some that would be unsalvageable in JPG (like I once handed the camera to someone to take a family pic, and they somehow accidentally hit the WB button and changed it to 2500K!).

I've noticed with photography that most people think getting a new camera makes your photos 100% better. ("Wow, great photos! Your new camera must be good! I should get one!") In reality, I've found that learning what I'm doing improved my photos by 25% (or more). The new camera improved them another 25%. Better lens was another 25%. Post-processing JPGs is another 25%. Shooting RAW then processing is another 25%. Altogether all those improvements add up to make much better photos. At least that's how it worked for me.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?

Claudio Galli wrote:

Obviously your PP image is more bright, colorful, pleasant than the original jpeg but, in my opinion is a bit too much "forced". It seems there is an additional source of light in front of the subject.

I have taken the freedom to make a little bit of tweaking on your original jpg (downloaded from dpreview) using Aperture and, in my opinion (although it is definitely brighter), reflects much more the original lightning of the scene.

In any case, at the end, you are the only judge!

Claudio

We can argue about the foreground in your picture (might be better than before), but the blown out sky doesn't work at all for me.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +21 more
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,056Gear list
Like?
But look what happens to the highights...

Claudio Galli wrote:

Here is my PP of your jpg image edited with Photoshop. Using the levels, white eyedropper on a white sand area (some trials to find the better spot) then reducing a bit the greens.

Claudio

Not 'awful', but now you're left with that distracting area of purple/white at the top left which was not present in either of Dennis' shots.

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,056Gear list
Like?
Even better if you use perspective tools
In reply to Claudio Galli, Apr 27, 2013

Claudio Galli wrote:

Obviously your PP image is more bright, colorful, pleasant than the original jpeg but, in my opinion is a bit too much "forced". It seems there is an additional source of light in front of the subject.

I have taken the freedom to make a little bit of tweaking on your original jpg (downloaded from dpreview) using Aperture and, in my opinion (although it is definitely brighter), reflects much more the original lightning of the scene.

In any case, at the end, you are the only judge!

Claudio

If you just rotate, the hedge goes on its own tilt, which is not terrible. But the perspective tools in ACR let you fix this as well. And you can also open up the shadows more like this:

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,066Gear list
Like?
Empty
In reply to Nathanio, Apr 27, 2013

Excuse me...

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255
Like?
Your perspective correction made the photo lose depth
In reply to Docno, Apr 27, 2013

The top of the structure should be narrower than the bottom - as it is in the original photo. This tells our brains that is longer away from the photographer, and since we are looking upwards, this means that the structure is high.

When you make the sides of the structure parallel, our brains do not get that information, and the photo looks flat.

Perspective tools is not a hammer you should use on everything which looks like a nail.

Claudio Galli
Like?
Re: But look what happens to the highights...
In reply to Docno, Apr 27, 2013

Docno wrote:

Claudio Galli wrote:

Claudio

Not 'awful', but now you're left with that distracting area of purple/white at the top left which was not present in either of Dennis' shots.

With a little bit of more tweaking with the levels, the following image is much more similar to the Dennis' ones.

Claudio

Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Atgard, May 1, 2013

Wow - quite a stir I caused!

Atgard wrote:

I didn't want to shoot in RAW.

I only really got into photography a few months ago, and learning the ropes and reading up on it and practicing took a lot of time. The last thing I wanted to do was also shoot in RAW and convert every photo...

But I tried a few shots shot in RAW + JPG and processed each, and the RAW version came out noticeably better than the JPG each time.

So now I only shoot RAW. I process the best photos and leave most of the rest in RAW, or do a batch convert to JPG with a User Preset in Lightroom.

Yeah, it takes a little more time & effort, a little more (OK a lot more) hard drive space, and more learning as PP is a new skill to master. But it makes my photos that much better -- and saves some that would be unsalvageable in JPG (like I once handed the camera to someone to take a family pic, and they somehow accidentally hit the WB button and changed it to 2500K!).

I've noticed with photography that most people think getting a new camera makes your photos 100% better. ("Wow, great photos! Your new camera must be good! I should get one!") In reality, I've found that learning what I'm doing improved my photos by 25% (or more). The new camera improved them another 25%. Better lens was another 25%. Post-processing JPGs is another 25%. Shooting RAW then processing is another 25%. Altogether all those improvements add up to make much better photos. At least that's how it worked for me.

I think this sums up my views (apart from I do shoot R+J purely due to lack of time and select PP on some). I found that it helped out that little bit.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions; I am new at all of this and looking to get tips/help/critique where ever possible

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads