Discovered the wonders of post processing!

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Discovered the wonders of post processing!
Apr 25, 2013

We have had our A57 since November and only recently discovered the wonders of a bit of PP!

I recently upgraded our laptop to do it more efficiently but found with a quick 5 minutes in ACR can really make a rather poor picture look great (imo!).

Here is a photo I took whilst out in Arundel at the weekend with the sun in an awkward angle. i shot JPG+RAW.

Here is the OOC original and you can see how poor the contrast is and how much my daughter is in the dark

A quick 5 minutes of PP in ACR produces amazing results and so muh more detail revealed

I am really pleased with it and made it clear to me that shooting JPG+RAW is a sensible solution and allows some tweaking incase of a cockup!

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Discovered the wonders of post processing!
In reply to Nathanio, Apr 25, 2013

Cute kid!

Shooting raw is always a winner.  Much better room for post-processing.  When I started photography in 2005, I only swore with JPG.  In 2013, I only swear with RAW

ACR is a fantastic tool when it comes to "develop" your raw files.  Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?

Nice work, post processing rescued an otherwise bland image.

I have done similar post processing with jpeg x-fine images using iPhoto. Works well for me. Just saying that you don't necessarily need to shoot raw or raw+jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Apr 25, 2013

Karl Scharf wrote:

I have done similar post processing with jpeg x-fine images using iPhoto. Works well for me. Just saying that you don't necessarily need to shoot raw or raw+jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf

I agree completely.  You absolutely do not need to shoot RAW to dramatically improve images in post processing.  JPEGS now-a-days are very responsive to post processing tools.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Apr 25, 2013

Karl Scharf wrote:

Nice work, post processing rescued an otherwise bland image.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

this is true, you can do similar stuff with jpeg, it's just not as effective (but for most situation, you won't need to go and spend 10 hours to edit a picture to begin with).

In most situation just shoot jpeg and save the HDD space, if you're do pro stuff for money, shoot raw

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony SLT-A37
Adam Benn
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Post processing that original was definitely required, and it looks much better now.

One additional step I would have done is rotate slightly so the play structure/slide is more vertical.  Otherwise it looks like you held the camera off-level (even though it may be because you were standing slightly to one side of the slide).  The image will look more pleasing if the structure of the image is orientated the way your brain expects it.

Also, be careful to not over-do the corrections and get over saturated, especially for people shots and skin tones.

Of course, a lot of it is personal preference.  But that is my opinion.

Adam Benn's gear list:Adam Benn's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?

Nice job with that one! Not only did you pull the subject out of the shadows but also found lost details in the sky and bushes.

The RAW/JPG debate will get you strong opinions on both sides, and some in the middle. In the end it is an individual choice. Yes more time and work, but also much more rewarding if you strive for the best possible image. It's up to you if it is worth the effort. For me, it is.

At one point I arrived at the same conclusion as you (to shoot RAW+JPG) ... Some will tell you to just shoot JPG to save disc space; others will tell you you don't "need" to shoot RAW, as that they just edit their JPGs (if you care enough about your results to PP, why on earth would you want to limit yourself with JPG and toss out the full capability of RAW?). My next conclusion was to shoot RAW only to save disc space, since I found that every time I compare I can get a better result from processing the RAW file myself.

Congrats on your discovery! Looking forward to seeing more of your work

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nathanio, Apr 26, 2013

Obviously your PP image is more bright, colorful, pleasant than the original jpeg but, in my opinion is a bit too much "forced". It seems there is an additional source of light in front of the subject.

I have taken the freedom to make a little bit of tweaking on your original jpg (downloaded from dpreview) using Aperture and, in my opinion (although it is definitely brighter), reflects much more the original lightning of the scene.

In any case, at the end, you are the only judge!

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Kjell Olsson
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to Claudio Galli, Apr 26, 2013

+1

-- hide signature --

Kjell
Sony gear, G3, XZ-2, E-PL3 and others....
Apple since the ][e - now editing in Lightroom on iMac

Kjell Olsson's gear list:Kjell Olsson's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kjell Olsson, Apr 26, 2013

Don't forget that if you shoot an image in JPEG you can always open it in ACR, when using both Elements and Photoshop.

Go to 'File' - 'Open As' - 'Camera Raw, ( from the list of optional formats that appear at the bottom of the screen ) - then choose your image. You get most of the options available in ACR - when shooting a RAW image - white balance is restricted, and if it is an image that you might like to work on in the future you can 'save As' a Tiff file and reduce the amount of degradation that occurs when working on JPEG's, during multiple sessions

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +5 more
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to Alan_S, Apr 26, 2013
 (if you care enough about your results to PP, why on earth would you want to limit yourself with JPG and toss out the full capability of RAW?).

I get really tired of pompous people that imply that because I shoot JPEG, I don't care about my images.  Who do you think you are, anyway?

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, Apr 26, 2013

_Fotogrfr_ wrote:

(if you care enough about your results to PP, why on earth would you want to limit yourself with JPG and toss out the full capability of RAW?).

I get really tired of pompous people that imply that because I shoot JPEG, I don't care about my images.  Who do you think you are, anyway?

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

Just asking an honest (unanswered) question ... I was in denial for years, standing by JPG-only, until I actually took the time to experiment and learn; and there is a definite learning curve that takes substantial time and effort. Not for everyone. To me it is worth the effort, if it's not for you, I really couldn't care less

I guess my support of the OP touched a nerve with you, can't help that, I simply disagree strongly with your previous advice. Been there, done that, expended the effort, learned the process, made my decision. Happy to help out someone that is interested in learning, but as I said it isn't for everyone, whatever your decision I respect that. I really don't care to debate it with someone who has decided otherwise, it's their decision, no debate necessary.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
jeffcpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?

Some might even argue that PP skill has become as important (if not more) than shooting skill.

I recently attended an 'art show' held in my community. The Best in Show for photography was an 8x10 of a winter scene through some branches. The original b+w neg had been scanned on a cheap scanner and over-sharpened so there were white lines (artifacts) paralleling each branch -- the judges thought it was 'artistic' -- I knew it was just bad technique.

Oh well, that's ART.

Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?
Young soul or mildly illiterate ?

_Fotogrfr_ wrote:

Fotographer: have you ever wondered why some of us get so upset (and rude) about the opinions of others, even when these are suggested with much care, are conditional, and are expressed using "if's" and question marks .... ?

Your countrymen make much fuss about the "right" of bearing arms: what about ones humble right to bare an opinion ?

Chimere

Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255
Like?

_Fotogrfr_ wrote:

That was not what he implied.

He rather implied that shooting JPG with the intention of doing later post processing seems pointless.

And I agree to that. The advantage of shooting JPG is that you don't have to post process but can use the photo directly. As soon as you start post processing an image, this advantage vanishes, and you are left with the weaknesses of JPG and no advantages.

(Well, no advantages except storage space, but given today's disk prices, that advantage doesn't really count much.)

dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,716
Like?
Fix this jpg shot
In reply to Nathanio, Apr 26, 2013

If you think you can PP jpgs as easily as Raw please fix this first jpg that was shot underwater and needs color correction. The second shot is corrected using the raw file. Can you make the first jpg look as good?

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,360Gear list
Like?

The raw and only jpeg is a bit of what you are used to, with some of today's camera's and out of camera jpeg result most of the time ther is no need to PP, if you have a decent picture and want to PP using  a program like lightroom 4.+ you can almost always get the same result as you could with a raw file.

(Friedman's A99 book)

The NG photographer send his raw's and jpeg's to the office and said " try to make the raw's look like the out of camera A99 jpeg's"

On several occasions they were not able to do this.

The only real good reason to make raw's out of an A99 is, when you screw up badly you can retrieve something out of it,

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
imlammothion
Regular MemberPosts: 193Gear list
Like?
Re: Fix this jpg shot
In reply to dennismullen, Apr 26, 2013

Edited to my taste.

-- hide signature --

Proud A100, A300, A700 and now A77 dSLR shooter.
Ex. s602z, with an Fuji s9500 as backup
Also have a HX9V that i love

imlammothion's gear list:imlammothion's gear list
Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,716
Like?
In reply to imlammothion, Apr 26, 2013

Not to bad! I simply clicked on the white sand with the WB tool.
Are you editing the first or second picture?

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,547
Like?
In reply to dennismullen, Apr 26, 2013

Hi Dennis,

perhaps you should have asked for a WB correction to be done in PS or another "normal" editing software. Because when I open this JPG file in my C1 V7.1.1 it's also only one click on the sand in the foreground to get a pretty reasonable corrected photo. I suppose that this works in LR the same way. Of course with less data to work with the final result will be worse than when starting off with a RAW file.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads