Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Hahaha. Thats a funny post... n/t
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 27, 2013
-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
Re: 7d Mk II - This does not make sense!
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 27, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

I wish 7D II could be on APS-H 1.3x crop small-body that can support 1.6x crop mode with an option to use battery grid for 10fps, the best balance of IQ and reach. I know I am in minority group and it's a wishful thinking as it seems Canon has abandoned APS-H format.  The only issues are the cost and EF-S compatibility.  Personally I don't care it can use EF-S lenses or not as I only have one (EF-S) lens Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS.

While Canon says they abandoned APS-H format, their 50Mp and 120Mp prototypes were that size. That 50Mp would give 32Mp in 1.6x crop mode. I only have one EF-S, the 17-85 kit lens. They do not make the longer lenses I use in EF-S.

Dan

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Hahaha. Thats a funny post. n/t
-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
Re: why not the 5d III?
In reply to tko, Apr 27, 2013

tko wrote:

Seems like the 5d III is in your budget, available, and does what you want pretty much. AF in video is improved over the 7d but not great. No Wifi, but you can buy a WiFi card. Even has dual card slots so you put Wifi in one all the time.

Do you need the 10 FPS of the upcoming 7dII? The AF of the 5d III works great. I'm at a 99% keeper rate for AF - that's really good.

It doesn't make any sense. The poster of the OP ignores everything about the 5DIII and keeps banging on about a type of weather sealing on the 7D that doesn't exist. I don't think they are really interested in hearing the 7D does not have 1DX type environmental seals, nor that the 5DmkIII is equal to the 7D.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Wyville
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Apr 27, 2013

altair8800 wrote:

While Canon says they abandoned APS-H format, their 50Mp and 120Mp prototypes were that size. That 50Mp would give 32Mp in 1.6x crop mode. I only have one EF-S, the 17-85 kit lens. They do not make the longer lenses I use in EF-S.

Dan

Canon said that they have not abandoned the APS-H format only a few months ago. Apparently everything depends on customer feedback. So with enough response, they might bring it back.

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

As a 7D owner... I would (want) think that Canon would make the 7d Mk II a must buy for those who enjoy the 7D.

Would it not have made sense for the 7d Mk II to have the following:

Full Frame - Water and Dust Tight - Auto Focus w/Video - More Cross Sections for Focus - Wifi

With just the above I think two things could happen. 7D owners would buy one as a step up for those of us that want Full Frame AND 5D Mk III owners that wanted a Water and Dust Tight backup.

I really don't understand why Canon would make the new 7d Mk II anything BUT Full Frame.

Since I love my 7D and the abuse it can take, I was really hoping the new 7D MkII would fall between the 5D and 1D for some features I wanted at around the $2,500 to $3,000 range....

Is there ANY chance this will be the case?? ANY?

TVSTAFF

Stopped reading this at the FF statement.... Why for goodness sake?

Crop is a great set-up for many users inc me. It means I can use a 400mm lens and get equivalent of 640mm reach on a FF camera. Total cost of 7D + 400mm lens is a fraction of cost of a 5D3 + 640mm lens.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,264Gear list
Like?
Re: 7d Mk II - This does not make sense! Then Read This!

tvstaff wrote:

As a 7D owner... I would (want) think that Canon would make the 7d Mk II a must buy for those who enjoy the 7D.

Full Frame - Water and Dust Tight - Auto Focus w/Video - More Cross Sections for Focus - Wifi

Go here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III/

Scroll down and you can read this:

Built to go anywhere

A magnesium chassis provides strength and durability without adding weight. Weather sealing offers protection against dust and moisture.

I rest my case, the 5D3 according to Canon has weather sealing.

With just the above I think two things could happen. 7D owners would buy one as a step up for those of us that want Full Frame AND 5D Mk III owners that wanted a Water and Dust Tight backup.

I really don't understand why Canon would make the new 7d Mk II anything BUT Full Frame.

Since I love my 7D and the abuse it can take, I was really hoping the new 7D MkII would fall between the 5D and 1D for some features I wanted at around the $2,500 to $3,000 range....

TVSTAFF

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
In reply to Wyville, Apr 27, 2013

Wyville wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

Dan

Canon said that they have not abandoned the APS-H format only a few months ago. Apparently everything depends on customer feedback. So with enough response, they might bring it back.

Guess I missed that. If they produce one with 50Mp and 10 fps and no useless grip, I will consider it.

Wyville
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Apr 27, 2013

altair8800 wrote:

Wyville wrote:

Guess I missed that. If they produce one with 50Mp and 10 fps and no useless grip, I will consider it.

It was just a comment in an interview at Photokina 2012 where they asked whether or not APS-H was dead. The people from Canon responded that it depended on the market. I don't think there is much going on in terms of development.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,797Gear list
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

TVSTAFF

I do not see how a full-frame camera with all of these listed features could be built and sold for less than the existing 5D Mark III, and if it could, it would compete with the 5D Mark III, which is not a wise business move. I believe the 5D Mark III is, probably, sealed about as well as a 7D,  and I will add that if I want to wade into the surf with one of my 7D cameras, I am going to rent/borrow/buy a waterproof housing.

Whether the 7D Mark II is in a similar-sized body as the present 7D, or a mini-1D X body, I will be satisfied with a 1.6x-crop sensor, unless the price is so high that I might rather save more money and buy a 1D X. (I lament the discontinuation of the APS-H sensor models, and would love to see a 1D Mark V introduced.)

Full-frame is useful, sometimes, and thus far, I am fairly content with my 5D cameras for those times, while using my 7D cameras for most of my shooting.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,958Gear list
Like?
None what so ever

You can already buy a "full frame 7D": It's the 5dIII. A full frame 7D would be like a 5 series sized 3 series BMW.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
Re: None what so ever
In reply to photosen, Apr 27, 2013

photosen wrote:

You can already buy a "full frame 7D": It's the 5dIII. A full frame 7D would be like a 5 series sized 3 series BMW.

You mean like the 3 Series GranTurismo?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads