7d Mk II - This does not make sense!

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
7d Mk II - This does not make sense!
Apr 25, 2013

As a 7D owner... I would (want) think that Canon would make the 7d Mk II a must buy for those who enjoy the 7D.

Would it not have made sense for the 7d Mk II to have the following:

Full Frame - Water and Dust Tight - Auto Focus w/Video - More Cross Sections for Focus - Wifi

With just the above I think two things could happen. 7D owners would buy one as a step up for those of us that want Full Frame AND 5D Mk III owners that wanted a Water and Dust Tight backup.

I really don't understand why Canon would make the new 7d Mk II anything BUT Full Frame.

Since I love my 7D and the abuse it can take, I was really hoping the new 7D MkII would fall between the 5D and 1D for some features I wanted at around the $2,500 to $3,000 range....

Is there ANY chance this will be the case?? ANY?

TVSTAFF

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Howard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425Gear list
Like?
No, no, no and no way
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 25, 2013

FF? no way!

-- hide signature --

Howard
cameras: 5DII, 50D, D60, Rebel 2000 (film)
lenses: 17-40 f/4 USM L, 24-105 f/4 USM L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24 f/3.5 TSE L, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4 USM, 100 f/2.8 IS USM Macro L, 300 f/2.8 IS USM II, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, EF 1.4x TC III, EF 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
personal website: http://www.travelerathome.com
blog: http://travelerathome.wordpress.com

Howard's gear list:Howard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulbysea
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
Re: No, no, no and no way
In reply to Howard, Apr 25, 2013

the 7Dii will not be full frame, the 5D is the full frame 7D

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Pentax Optio W80 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,378Gear list
Like?
Virtually zero chance

Canon's full frame product line is separate and distinct and they will likely keep it that way.  The 6D is the bottom end of that line with the 5DMk3 the next level up.  The 7D is the high end of Canon's crop line, and the likelihood that Canon would try to migrate that line to FF is near non existent IMHO.  What's more, it would likely drive many photographers (such as myself) who value the advantages of crop to either another Canon family (say to the next gen xxD) or worse, to another brand.  The reach advantage of crop is most often highly valued by wildlife photographers or anyone needing to shoot long.  Also, in many cases there are no good FF alternatives to EF-S lenses, particularly at similar price points.  Bottom line... there's no good reason for Canon to try to drive people who value a high end crop camera to FF.

If you really value FF, then you should seriously consider either migrating to the 6D or if you can afford it, the 5DMk3.  I think most people are expecting the 7DMk2 to be once again positioned as the premium crop offering by Canon, and many of us are hoping that they will have a nicely updated sensor, AF, and other newer technology to match what may be a pretty high price point (some projections put it a bit north of $2K).

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: 7d Mk II - This does not make sense!

tvstaff wrote:

As a 7D owner... I would (want) think that Canon would make the 7d Mk II a must buy for those who enjoy the 7D.

Full Frame - Water and Dust Tight - Auto Focus w/Video - More Cross Sections for Focus - Wifi

With just the above I think two things could happen. 7D owners would buy one as a step up for those of us that want Full Frame AND 5D Mk III owners that wanted a Water and Dust Tight backup.

I really don't understand why Canon would make the new 7d Mk II anything BUT Full Frame.

Since I love my 7D and the abuse it can take, I was really hoping the new 7D MkII would fall between the 5D and 1D for some features I wanted at around the $2,500 to $3,000 range....

TVSTAFF

Yikes.  Have you paid attention to how Canon model names work?  Once a line has been created, there are certain aspect that have little-to-no chance of changing and some that have absolutely zero chance of changing.  When certain aspects change they always give the camera a new model designation.  The 7D will always be a 1.6 crop sensor body.  Canon used to have the 1.3 crop in its own special little category in the 1 line, but even that was killed with the advent of the 1D X.....they finally have a FF sensor body that could perform.  Clever of them to still have FF bodies with sensors packing more pixels than even the monster 1D X.  You're suggesting that they make a 7D that would replace the 1D X, 5DIII, and the 7D.  Not happening any time soon, although maybe in five or ten years they'll be forced more and more to condense their lineup and the associated features.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Apr 25, 2013

Sounds like the thread has been created with the childish assertion again that full-frame trumps everything else so the commoners should just crop for reach. Blah blah.

tvstaff
Like?
Re: Virtually zero chance
In reply to Jerry-astro, Apr 25, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

Canon's full frame product line is separate and distinct and they will likely keep it that way.  The 6D is the bottom end of that line with the 5DMk3 the next level up.  The 7D is the high end of Canon's crop line, and the likelihood that Canon would try to migrate that line to FF is near non existent IMHO.  What's more, it would likely drive many photographers (such as myself) who value the advantages of crop to either another Canon family (say to the next gen xxD) or worse, to another brand.  The reach advantage of crop is most often highly valued by wildlife photographers or anyone needing to shoot long.  Also, in many cases there are no good FF alternatives to EF-S lenses, particularly at similar price points.  Bottom line... there's no good reason for Canon to try to drive people who value a high end crop camera to FF.

If you really value FF, then you should seriously consider either migrating to the 6D or if you can afford it, the 5DMk3.  I think most people are expecting the 7DMk2 to be once again positioned as the premium crop offering by Canon, and many of us are hoping that they will have a nicely updated sensor, AF, and other newer technology to match what may be a pretty high price point (some projections put it a bit north of $2K).

JA,

I'd pull the trigger on the 5D today if it were sealed as well as the 7D.  I keep picking it up thinking something will change but I must admit.....  The 7D can take a lot more sand, snow, ice and rain than any camera I've ever owned.    Make me a 5D without a housing that can do that and I'm there!   Looking at the 1D I was shocked from a sticker perspective and the learning curve. Yes it's sealed but at that price point... I'll wait

Best regards,

TVSTAFF

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
Oly Canikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

You are speaking in past tense. Does this mean that the 7d has been announced and I missed it?

TVSTAFF

tvstaff
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Apr 25, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Sounds like the thread has been created with the childish assertion again that full-frame trumps everything else so the commoners should just crop for reach. Blah blah.

I don't think so.  Often I see how the 7D has better IQ than the 800/800E and even the 5D or 1D under some applications.

However, as technology changes and FF is improved upon, to the point, it's as good as Med Format / Film a lot of people will have tons of money invested in crop glass that will not work as well on a FF.  My 17-55 F2.8 USM IS is prime example. To some $1,100.00 is not a lot for glass, but for me it's not wood!

I like the fact that my 70-200 L f/2.8 II on my 7D is in reality a 100-300 of sorts.  However, in studio there is a clear advantage to the 5D III and also to a H5D-50MS if you want to go to an extream.

My concern is really where I like to shoot and at times it's not friendly.  Wet, cold, filled w/sand, hot, sand, heavy wind.....  I don't think that the H5D-50MS at $34,995.00even with free shipping is for me   Nor is the I DX at $5,500 based on what I need or like.

I want another body...  I don't want to invest in another crop body. So for me I want a FF Camera.

Can you understand how someone would want Crop and FF bodies in their bags?  One is not better than the other unless they are used "Right" based on the "users needs".

Yes? 

Best regards Nikorwatcher,

TVSTAFF

goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 26, 2013

tvstaff wrote:

Full Frame

No way - I think you are missing the point of the 7D Series.

A full frame 7D is a 5D MkIII

- Water and Dust Tight - Auto Focus w/Video - More Cross Sections for Focus - Wifi

Buy a 5D MKIII

Sounds more like a future 3D to me. - I repeat, in my opinion you are missing the point of the 7D series.

TVSTAFF

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +8 more
goanna
Like?
In reply to Jerry-astro, Apr 26, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

IMHO - you are absolutely correct!!!!

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +8 more
goanna
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

I don't think so.  Often I see how the 7D has better IQ than the 800/800E and even the 5D or 1D under some applications.

However, as technology changes and FF is improved upon, to the point, it's as good as Med Format / Film a lot of people will have tons of money invested in crop glass that will not work as well on a FF.  My 17-55 F2.8 USM IS is prime example. To some $1,100.00 is not a lot for glass, but for me it's not wood!

I like the fact that my 70-200 L f/2.8 II on my 7D is in reality a 100-300 of sorts.  However, in studio there is a clear advantage to the 5D III and also to a H5D-50MS if you want to go to an extream.

My concern is really where I like to shoot and at times it's not friendly.  Wet, cold, filled w/sand, hot, sand, heavy wind.....  I don't think that the H5D-50MS at $34,995.00even with free shipping is for me   Nor is the I DX at $5,500 based on what I need or like.

I want another body...  I don't want to invest in another crop body. So for me I want a FF Camera.

Can you understand how someone would want Crop and FF bodies in their bags?  One is not better than the other unless they are used "Right" based on the "users needs".

Yes? 

Best regards Nikorwatcher,

TVSTAFF

So when Canon does as you request, what do I buy when I want a crop camera in the 7D class.

That would be abandoning all the people who want a good quality cropped camera.

Not likely this decade.

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,849
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

TVSTAFF

So, better than 5D3 and cost 1000 bucks less. It will happen in about 7 years.

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

I'd pull the trigger on the 5D today if it were sealed as well as the 7D.  I keep picking it up thinking something will change but I must admit.....  The 7D can take a lot more sand, snow, ice and rain than any camera I've ever owned.

I think you are confusing 5D and 6D.   5DIII is sealed at least as well as 7D.

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,730Gear list
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

I have yet to experience that and don't know of any application where it would have better IQ than a 1DmkIV since I've owned both including a 5DII.
At virtually any ISO the 7D is a poorer performer than any of them........

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,312Gear list
Like?
So you want a 5D MkIII ?
-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 400D
Sigma 24-70 HF
Canon 50 f1.8

rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,271
Like?

tvstaff wrote:

Seriously?

That's like not understanding why Porsche would design the next 911 with anything BUT four doors.

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,438
Like?
In reply to rdspear, Apr 26, 2013

rdspear wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Seriously?

That's like not understanding why Porsche would design the next 911 with anything BUT four doors.

Yes, four doors, six seats and 100 HP.

tvstaff
Like?
Re: So you want a 5D MkIII ?
In reply to Matt, Apr 26, 2013
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 3,350Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DmkIII

tvstaff wrote:

As others have commented a full frame 7D is a 5DmkIII, so it wouldn't make sense for Canon to label an existing camera with a new name.

If you don't understand why the 7D is what it is, a high end APS-C sports/wildlife camera, then you are better off buying a 60D or a 6D.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads