Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,803Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash subsystem....are we overlooking the 'obvious'??
In reply to brecklundin, Apr 28, 2013

brecklundin wrote:

A thought just sneaked in and it's perhaps what has Pentax China's wet knickers is not the camera, it might just be another APS-C but rather could be finally be seeing a modern flash system introduced? We all know this is one area where Pentax lags significantly.

I would love to see such a system introduced with whatever the new body might be. Also a highly rated flash system would likely motivate a large number of body upgrades out in the ether, especially among those who have seen no reason to upgrade their K20D. Plus as a great gesture they could issue firmware updates to the K5 era bodies forward to let those bodies make use of a new flash system. I see that as not unreasonable to hope.

A new and well regard flash subsystem also might remove a big reason a lot of new DSLR, or someone looking to change systems, go with other brands. Maybe? Might be good for 645 shooters as well. But most studio shooters are using more traditional studio lighting rather than external flash solutions. But out in the real world flashes are great tools but ya need a solid way to control it remotely.

Your problem here is those people who use P-ttl in anger have lots invested in flash units.

Changing flash system would be almost as self destructive as changing mounts.

I don't see Pentax alienating the big buck customers just to sell bottom end camera kits.

More likely they’ll evolve groups and zones something that the existing wireless flashes (accept the Metz 48) can support, to allow remote flash control from the body.

This would involve new flashes but not obsolete users existing investment likely to be multiple 1000's of pounds.

I doubt anything Pentax issues would be Nikon level but if they can manage to reach Canon's level here that would be wonderful for sure. At least to me...it is the only thing I miss from shooting Canon. Their flashes are marvelous.

Strange besides the basic  grouping that Canon has Pentax is known to be more consistent and reliable.

What is it you miss from Canon's flash system, Are you confusing usage with quality.?

i.e Pentax will always try and deliver the 'non flash' look by mixing ambient with flash unless you tell it otherwise, This leads to blurred images or overexposed (hi-iso) if you don’t know what your doing.

There is a reason Pentax cameras have an 'X' setting

What is it you think is 'Nikon' Level ? , Are you merely referring to the in camera flash control ability ?

You seem to be putting a lot of weighting on not having to address each flash when setting up a shoot.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash subsystem....are we overlooking the 'obvious'??
In reply to brecklundin, Apr 28, 2013

brecklundin wrote:

A thought just sneaked in and it's perhaps what has Pentax China's wet knickers is not the camera, it might just be another APS-C but rather could be finally be seeing a modern flash system introduced? We all know this is one area where Pentax lags significantly.

I would love to see such a system introduced with whatever the new body might be. Also a highly rated flash system would likely motivate a large number of body upgrades out in the ether, especially among those who have seen no reason to upgrade their K20D. Plus as a great gesture they could issue firmware updates to the K5 era bodies forward to let those bodies make use of a new flash system. I see that as not unreasonable to hope.

A new and well regard flash subsystem also might remove a big reason a lot of new DSLR, or someone looking to change systems, go with other brands. Maybe? Might be good for 645 shooters as well. But most studio shooters are using more traditional studio lighting rather than external flash solutions. But out in the real world flashes are great tools but ya need a solid way to control it remotely.

I doubt anything Pentax issues would be Nikon level but if they can manage to reach Canon's level here that would be wonderful for sure. At least to me...it is the only thing I miss from shooting Canon. Their flashes are marvelous.

Nikon's flash system certainly helps them sell the D4 and probably a few D800 and other high end units.  However, the vast majority of their overall DSLR sales are due to having good cameras and even better marketing of their brand.  Nikon has created and maintained a halo around their name.  When was the last time anyone went to a camera or large electronics store and didn't see Nikon prominently displayed and available?

Would I like a better flash system from Pentax?  Yes.

Would a better flash system help Pentax overall?  Probably.

If I ran Pentax, is this the basket where I'd put a bunch of eggs?  Don't think so... I can think of higher priority ones.

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713Gear list
Like?
Leaf shutter lens?
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 30, 2013

For flash at any speed, like on the Q! 

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: The first FF covering circular sensor.....
In reply to henricoo, Apr 30, 2013

henricoo wrote:

.....so you don't have to be too precize keeping it horizontal..... and it gives you the oportunity to make 30*30 mm square etc. pictures too!

If that's too difficult for engineering square 36x36 is also good.

That would be stunning!

It would also cost as much as a 645D.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,534Gear list
Like?
Re: The first FF covering circular sensor.....
In reply to paulkienitz, Apr 30, 2013

If that's too difficult for engineering square 36x36 is also good.

It would also cost as much as a 645D.

And if there was a mirror involved, you'd most likely have to mount 645 format lenses on it.

 richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh style Interchangeable FF lens mount?
In reply to il_alexk, Apr 30, 2013

il_alexk wrote:

Ricoh style interchangeable mount? Makes sense to me:

That certainly would be something attention-gettingly new and different... have a big chunk out of the mid front of the camera be a removable module.  Undo some clamps or screws and out comes the flange, the autofocus motor, the aperture actuator, the mirror, and the viewfinder, while leaving behind the shutter and the sensor (hopefully 36 MP).  Make modules for K-mount and M-mount, with the latter having an optical rangefinder stuck on top.  Publicly invite Sony to build an E-mount module for it, and maybe even ask for EOS and F mount modules, then act surprised and disappointed when they refuse.  And also, make sure to offer an electronic viewfinder connector -- if possible, one compatible with some existing camera line that already has good ones.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh style Interchangeable FF lens mount?
In reply to paulkienitz, Apr 30, 2013

paulkienitz wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

Ricoh style interchangeable mount? Makes sense to me:

That certainly would be something attention-gettingly new and different... have a big chunk out of the mid front of the camera be a removable module.  Undo some clamps or screws and out comes the flange, the autofocus motor, the aperture actuator, the mirror, and the viewfinder, while leaving behind the shutter and the sensor (hopefully 36 MP).  Make modules for K-mount and M-mount, with the latter having an optical rangefinder stuck on top.  Publicly invite Sony to build an E-mount module for it, and maybe even ask for EOS and F mount modules, then act surprised and disappointed when they refuse.  And also, make sure to offer an electronic viewfinder connector -- if possible, one compatible with some existing camera line that already has good ones.

Of course, it might be best to do the opposite of all that and just make the smallest and lightest FF.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Apr 30, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

However, I don't see anything new from the Japanese interviews some time ago.

Almost. What new is repetition over a few months now: I believe this is the 3rd Pentax interview where it's stated an FF is in development, over a span of 3-4 months (iirc). So it seems a FF has been in development for a while now... ?

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my behalf...

Alex

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
Re: Allow my post to...
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 30, 2013

Help this tread to its limit and out the exit.  Most speculate the Pentax FF is on the way for 2014.  If that happens then great.  If not, well, they'll come out with that 21MP APS/C that has a meaningful crop (2X) mode with heavier pixel density in the crop area.  And perhaps many of the other fine features we'd like to see.

Regards.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
In reply to miles green, May 1, 2013

miles green wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

However, I don't see anything new from the Japanese interviews some time ago.

Almost. What new is repetition over a few months now: I believe this is the 3rd Pentax interview where it's stated an FF is in development, over a span of 3-4 months (iirc). So it seems a FF has been in development for a while now... ?

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my behalf...

I don't think it's just wishful thinking, but I'm quite sure we won't see the FF this year.

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713Gear list
Like?
The easiest way is to put them on a Pentax film body!
In reply to oklaphotog, May 2, 2013

There's an ME super on fleebay for the price of 3 rolls of film!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to Joseph Tainter, May 2, 2013

Joseph Tainter wrote:

But perhaps they also have in development a digital version of something like the very nice FA 24-90, or some other normal zoom.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider lack of lenses to be a reason not to bring out a FF camera.

Yeah, all they really need right away is a pair of zooms, standard and tele.  Preferably, pro-grade f2.8 zooms.  Cheaper slow zooms can come later.  Then, one good wide prime, like 20mm.  The rest can take its time.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,472
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to paulkienitz, May 2, 2013

paulkienitz wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

But perhaps they also have in development a digital version of something like the very nice FA 24-90, or some other normal zoom.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider lack of lenses to be a reason not to bring out a FF camera.

Yeah, all they really need right away is a pair of zooms, standard and tele.  Preferably, pro-grade f2.8 zooms.  Cheaper slow zooms can come later.  Then, one good wide prime, like 20mm.  The rest can take its time.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

The FA 20 F2.8 is a very nice lens, about equal optically to the DA 21. A few years ago, the old version of Photodo rated it better than the 20/2.8 lenses from N and C. Only the Zeiss was superior.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to Joseph Tainter, May 3, 2013

Joseph Tainter wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

But perhaps they also have in development a digital version of something like the very nice FA 24-90, or some other normal zoom.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider lack of lenses to be a reason not to bring out a FF camera.

Yeah, all they really need right away is a pair of zooms, standard and tele.  Preferably, pro-grade f2.8 zooms.  Cheaper slow zooms can come later.  Then, one good wide prime, like 20mm.  The rest can take its time.

The FA 20 F2.8 is a very nice lens, about equal optically to the DA 21. A few years ago, the old version of Photodo rated it better than the 20/2.8 lenses from N and C. Only the Zeiss was superior.

Great, then they only need to redo the packaging to make it digital.  Along with the FA 35/2, and any other oldie-but-goodie designs that are sharp enough for a modern sensor.

But now comes the really hard part: how to brand and design the full frame lenses without aperture rings so everybody knows they're modern and digital, but won't confuse them with the DA series for APS.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,534Gear list
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to paulkienitz, May 3, 2013

But now comes the really hard part: how to brand and design the full frame lenses without aperture rings so everybody knows they're modern and digital, but won't confuse them with the DA series for APS.

Pick a colour... any colour. Off-white, say. Or, put a distinctive red ring around them.

Camo? Fun fur?

Incidentally, I expect many of the DA series should function fine on a FF body. 35-40mm and wider perhaps not, but (for example) 70mm upwards should be fine.

 richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to paulkienitz, May 3, 2013

How 'bout:

K = aps-c

K+ = FF

paulkienitz wrote:

But now comes the really hard part: how to brand and design the full frame lenses without aperture rings so everybody knows they're modern and digital, but won't confuse them with the DA series for APS.

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads