Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,508
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to il_alexk, Apr 25, 2013

All he says is that it is in research and development. He does not say it will be produced.

We have know this for some time.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Apr 25, 2013

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Aidan Gibson wrote:

If Pentax does bring out a Full Frame could would the Da Limited work on it or only FA Limiteds?

I would not be surprised if it would have a crop mode for DA lenses.

Joe

I would suspect this to be the case. But with pretty much most of the FF lenses out of production, they will have to have a decent set of lenses at launch to go with it since not everyone will want to buy used glass. I would think at a minimum , a uwa, standard, and tele zooms with a F2.8 or F4 Apertures along with a few primes like a wide, normal, and mid tele.... Then have more in the pipeline with a sooner than later release schedule. Because of the time and money it would take to develop and release such lenses, I can only think they will go back to some of their older but great designs and tweak them for digital sensors along with SDM instead of screwdrive focus, rather than design from the ground up. I think it would take less time and resources to evolve an existing design rather than start from scratch.

Of course since they borrowed a Tamron design for a super zoom, they very well could adopt the 17-35, 28-75, and 70-200 Tamron designs, build them better, add SDM and make them WR.

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,911Gear list
Like?
Re: Or a Fixed 17-55mm f2.8 lens on FF body?
In reply to waxwaine, Apr 25, 2013

In that case, they could one up sony with a super FF 645 sensor in a body the size of K5 or k10/20... that would be a remarkable feat... though there are I think maybe 3-5 sensor boards on the 645d... so not likely. Much miniaturizing to go.

What else is possible

waxwaine wrote:

Jokes apart, a good fixed zoom lens on FF body could be a RX-1, X100s, etc, killer.

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

oklaphotog
Like?

Joseph Tainter wrote:

All he says is that it is in research and development. He does not say it will be produced.

We have know this for some time.

Joe

Most smaller companies don't have the funds to R&D a product only to scrap it though. The question is how long will it be in R&D. Due to the lack of lenses, I can only imagine that it will be in development for a while yet. There is no way they'll release it without a set of lenses to back it up.

Of course Pentax did scrap their first DSLR which was a FF 6mp camera, so who knows. That decision at the time turned out to be quite a fiasco for them and I'm sure they've learned from that.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?
Re: I'm betting on K-mount
In reply to Chris Mak, Apr 25, 2013

Thing is...
EVF is the inevitable future of digital photography.

Granted there will be resistance to the technology(as with all things). But the one thing we can count on is that OVF is on the way out.

PS. good to hear an official statement from Pentax on FF though. Looking forward to seeing what the upcoming K-3 will look like.

Chris Mak wrote:

From all that I've read so far, Pentax seems pretty dedicated to the K-mount, so I believe that the Full frame camera will have just the normal bayonet K-mount. I don't think it will be mirrorless either: for a while everyone at the Olympus forum (I switched from Olympus) was singing the "death of the DSLR-gospel" due to the rise of the EVF, but that take-over has more or less come to a standstill now that mirrorless has just taken its own place alongside Dslr. There are serious downsides to mirrorless that won't be easily solved in the near future, and certainly the quality Full frame OVF can not be replaced by a long way by an EVF. I read a while ago that Pentax had been considering an EVF for a possible FF camera, but soon put that aside, because research had shown, that the large majority of possible FF adopters greatly preferred an OVF, and is that not júst what makes FF so attractive, the large viewfinder. No, I think we will see a "traditional" K-mount FF with OVF, the uniqueness will lie in other innovations, and I'm glad personally: I have four Zeiss primes waiting for that Pentax FF!

Chris

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,508
Like?
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 25, 2013

Pentax would have no hesitation bringing out a FF camera with few or no lenses. They have done it before. The *ist D came out several months before the first DA lens, the 16-45, appeared. At first they marketed it with the FAJ 18-35.

Plus, there are already several FF lenses available--the limiteds, the 50 F1.4 (perhaps this is why they have kept it in production), and the DFA lenses.

But perhaps they also have in development a digital version of something like the very nice FA 24-90, or some other normal zoom.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider lack of lenses to be a reason not to bring out a FF camera.

Joe

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280
Like?

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Chris Mak wrote:

From all that I've read so far, Pentax seems pretty dedicated to the K-mount, so I believe that the Full frame camera will have just the normal bayonet K-mount. I don't think it will be mirrorless either: for a while everyone at the Olympus forum (I switched from Olympus) was singing the "death of the DSLR-gospel" due to the rise of the EVF, but that take-over has more or less come to a standstill now that mirrorless has just taken its own place alongside Dslr. There are serious downsides to mirrorless that won't be easily solved in the near future, and certainly the quality Full frame OVF can not be replaced by a long way by an EVF. I read a while ago that Pentax had been considering an EVF for a possible FF camera, but soon put that aside, because research had shown, that the large majority of possible FF adopters greatly preferred an OVF, and is that not júst what makes FF so attractive, the large viewfinder. No, I think we will see a "traditional" K-mount FF with OVF, the uniqueness will lie in other innovations, and I'm glad personally: I have four Zeiss primes waiting for that Pentax FF!

Chris

Chris, how do you expect to get readers here if you make sense?

Joe

Oh bummer, that's my problem to stay. And it's not that I didn't listen to the Talking Heads, I did!

Chris

Timothy Stark
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Re:The easiest way to find out would probably be to get a K-EOS adapter and stick them on a 5D

Oh if it were that easy! I've not found any K mount lens that will actually mount on my 5D. The mirror box is too short. They won't mount unless you shave the mirror, or remove the aperture lever and possibly the fin on the back of the lens. I use several thread Pentax lenses on adapters, they fit fine.

Hence I have a PK-Canon adapter I can't use unless I disassemble the lenses, then they won't work properly on my K-5.

K lenses I have attempted to fit on my 5D: K50 1.4, K28 3.5, K35 3.5, M50 1.7, M100 4.0, F*300 4.5

I think it's safe to say 5D's and K mounts don't play well. Apparently it works on 1D series better, and just fine on Canon crop bodies.

Regards

brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Don't overlook the 645 & 6x7 glass on FF...

I sense they would shine on a FF machine. They work quite nicely on APS-C if you get a good copy but the smaller sensors can hide many flaws in a given lens that a 645D body would expose quickly. Lately though those lenses have jumped in price in no small part because of the 645D. I cringe at what will happen when the 645D II hits the streets...

But including those lens families with an adapter as part of the FF line-up can make things interesting fast. I know the register distance is an issue so Pentax can just put a K-mount on a 645 or 67 lens and call it FF...a shame because those are some nifty lenses.

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,783Gear list
Like?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! x2
In reply to gooseta, Apr 25, 2013

gooseta wrote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! x2

Oh, wait I spent all my money on an M9...

Lucky you!

Oh, well, I'll buy it in a year.

I think we'll all have to wait a year anyway, but at least now there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Sorry about the all-caps, but i think the announcement of a FF development deserves many caps!!!!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
oklaphotog
Like?
Re:The easiest way to find out would probably be to get a K-EOS adapter and stick them on a 5D
In reply to Timothy Stark, Apr 25, 2013

Timothy Stark wrote:

Oh if it were that easy! I've not found any K mount lens that will actually mount on my 5D. The mirror box is too short. They won't mount unless you shave the mirror, or remove the aperture lever and possibly the fin on the back of the lens. I use several thread Pentax lenses on adapters, they fit fine.

Hence I have a PK-Canon adapter I can't use unless I disassemble the lenses, then they won't work properly on my K-5.

K lenses I have attempted to fit on my 5D: K50 1.4, K28 3.5, K35 3.5, M50 1.7, M100 4.0, F*300 4.5

I think it's safe to say 5D's and K mounts don't play well. Apparently it works on 1D series better, and just fine on Canon crop bodies.

Regards

It's possible on 5D2. You put the camera in liveview first then attach the lens.

Elaka Farmor
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?
Re: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! x2
In reply to miles green, Apr 25, 2013

Maybe the new thing is that it will be no batteries. Instead you fill your lovely FF camera with petrol. A strong three horse power engine inside will do the trick

The risk for an explosion is of cause higher and the exhausts are not healthy, but the idea is brilliant indeed. I would buy this "petrolizied" FF camera any day

Elaka Farmor's gear list:Elaka Farmor's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 600D Sony Alpha NEX-5N +12 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,783Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 25, 2013

If it were a milk, it would have the Ricoh brand on it for 2 reasons:

1. Ricoh has a long rangefinder history

2. Not to cause panic amongst Pentax users for abandoning the K mount for FF.

Of course, there would be an adaptor to K mount.

Made by Novoflex!

My guess i that the Pentax FF will be a dslr with a classic look (think black-lacquered brass). It will have a big OVF that will be precise enough to manually focus a fast prime. A split prism will be available. It will be excellent in low light, sporting a 20 megapixel sensor with no AA filter. The buffer and fps will be low to keep the price down. It will have the AF module of the K5ii, and also SR.

The digital LX could be fun: your choice between OVF and EVF, just remove the pentaprism and place the EVF there instead.

MightyMike wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

I predict a FF mirrorless with a new mount, thats not really what i want, its what i predict.

But the rumour says "Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR". A MILC would not be a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Hmmm... maybe a digital LX ? tons of accessories and features

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,583Gear list
Like?
Re: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! x2
In reply to Elaka Farmor, Apr 25, 2013

Maybe the new thing is that it will be no batteries. Instead you fill your lovely FF camera with petrol.

You're both wrong. New Shimmer is a floor wax AND a dessert topping (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Truth is, the new Pentax FF camera is driven by... the power of wishing!

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?

TBH, I doubt they've confirmed anything much. Pentax have been saying similar things for years and folks have immediately hailed them as"confirmation". Fat good it has done. Yes, it's likely that Pentax will issue an FF camera of some kind at some stage, not necessarily even soon and not necessarily even K mount. Until one of their most senior people confirms just what is coming in plain language which cannot be misunderstood, best to believe it when you see it, imho. So RiceHigh + Googlebotting of PR speak = "confirmation". We have been here about 1000 times before.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
FF from Pentax will have a pentaprism on the bottom
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 26, 2013

No one else has done it before, and probably, will never even think about it.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Apr 26, 2013

JohnBee wrote:

Thing is...
EVF is the inevitable future of digital photography.

Granted there will be resistance to the technology(as with all things). But the one thing we can count on is that OVF is on the way out.

PS. good to hear an official statement from Pentax on FF though. Looking forward to seeing what the upcoming K-3 will look like.

Chris Mak wrote:

Chris

Even if it may be inevitable, one would think FF is the last format to adopt an EVF.  After all, the large and bright OVF is one of the strongest selling features of FF cameras.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,849
Like?

oklaphotog wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/24/pentax-working-on-a-new-professional-aps-c-based-camera/

Quote: "Mr. Tomoyoshi Shibata also confirmed that Pentax is working on a full frame DSLR camera that will be different than anything else available today."

I wonder how it will be different? I think this is really exciting. I shoot Canon, but have a k1000 on the collection shelf and have a fair bit of time behind the VF of a 67 and 645N AF. Pentax makes great gear. Hopefully this is a beam of hope for you guys. I wonder what the time frame is for this camera, and what are they going to do about a lens line up. There is plenty of great used lenses out there for FF K mount, but many people will want to buy new glass. I would assume they may bring back some of the older fast zoom and prime designs with SDM and coating updates, or have a ton of lenses in development waiting for the release of this camera.

This guy is almost full of.... He told the interviewer that K-01 is selling so well that their supply  cannot keep up with the demand.

yeah right.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Full of .........
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 26, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

This guy is almost full of.... He told the interviewer that K-01 is selling so well that their supply  cannot keep up with the demand.

yeah right.

Do you trust:

• general rant of the photo bloggers and the so called photography review websites about the K-01 when it was launched? (and who have no sales data of any kind)
  • opinionated reporters who asked Pentax Ricoh's official the question loaded with presumptions? (and who also have no sales data of any kind)
  • this forum members (who also have no sales data of any kind)
  • your own judgment (based on personal prejudices, and no sales data of any kind)
  • or the answer from the Pentax Ricoh official, the only person that can indeed give a correct answer? (who has all sales data of all kinds)

Something tells me you're the one full of ........ prejudices.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,911Gear list
Like?
All of this cheerfulness is making me sick. Mog Pi$sed.

Lets make sure anyone involved in joy of any kind is sentenced to having each hand pinched in between the kmount and an old takumar lens, maybe some other body part too.

Lets get back to grumbling and bitching right away..

You're making me sick.

Signed,

Barf the Mog, half man half dog... I'm my own best friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teglIsZo2mI

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads