Senior MemberPosts: 1,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 25, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

I predict a FF mirrorless with a new mount, thats not really what i want, its what i predict.

It looks like it, and hopefully no and just stay with good old OVF

How do you arrive at a new mount from "different than anything else available today"?

There are several new mount systems available for years now already, so that's definitely not anything different.

Different than anything else available today. Does that literally mean any other cameras, or just other full frame DSLRs. If the former, whatever it is that will make the new Pentax FF special hasn't been done by anybody else already so will be difficult to guess until we see it.

If Pentax can produce a FF DSLR that is as small as a K-5 (or smaller), that would be a notable achievement that would qualify as "different."  I, for one, would be very interested.  However, I think that EVFs are going to replace OVFs sooner or later, so I would like to see this feature as well.

Rob

I would like to see any FF camera from pentax with EVF or OVF.Just releast it  pentax
and I will the first on the line.

-- hide signature --

Pentaxian 4 ever!
Fuji S5 pro lover!!

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Hmmmmm, between Ricoh & Pentax Skunk Works
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Apr 25, 2013

Perhaps we are looking at something modular, from the Ricoh side, body tech from the Pentax side as well as glass formulas.  Add to that running Android/Linux making it a true platform based device that would maybe be a "Hyper-DSLR"???

Something akin to a MF digital-back but with even more modularity .  To me this is extreme but it leverages the interesting things Ricoh has been quietly working on as well as what we have to assume Pentax has somewhere in their engineering morgues along with the idea of a true computing platform device that might even include some sort of embedded image processing on par with LR/Capture One?

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,465
Like?
In reply to Andreas Stuebs, Apr 25, 2013

Andreas Stuebs wrote:

How about a camera which handles like cameras of old? With an aperture ring and an "A" setting like the good old FA lenses - nobody does that anymore on APS-C. 4/3 or FF

That's lenses, not bodies.  Any current Pentax DSLR can use older lenses with aperture rings, using the A setting or not.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 25, 2013
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,263Gear list
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, Apr 25, 2013

IMO the difference will be in size/ergonomics. Speculation of course, but it's fun to speculate.

Or perhaps, choice of colours? Maybe get a fashion designer involved. "We've studied the market, and nobody else is doing mustard, puce or eau-de-nil!" (grin)

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Twong
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?

I sat on the fence for K-5IIs and ended up buying a K-01. I think that was one of the best decisions in recent past. I eagerly look forward to the announcement. My K-5 will be 3 years old by the end of this year, about the right time for an upgrade assuming the price is right. I am, however, not interested in FF unless the price is really right.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +16 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,272
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to il_alexk, Apr 25, 2013

il_alexk wrote:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcpop.com%2Fdoc%2F0%2F900%2F900149.shtml

Have you noticed a new compact size APS-C camera coming soon?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

Ummm the Ricoh GR

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,593
Like?

oklaphotog wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/24/pentax-working-on-a-new-professional-aps-c-based-camera/

Quote: "Mr. Tomoyoshi Shibata also confirmed that Pentax is working on a full frame DSLR camera that will be different than anything else available today."

I wonder how it will be different?

It will be for left-handed people, with the grip and everything else reversed in position.

T Evergreen
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Apr 25, 2013

Since we're all speculating, I'm thinking that Pentax is looking at all of those legacy lenses out there and developing a camera that auto focuses by moving the sensor back and forth rather than moving lens elements, similar to what the Contax AX did back in the late 90s.  That would make even M42 lenses auto focus.  Lenses with long throws would however require some prefocusing.

Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?

If Pentax does bring out a Full Frame could would the Da Limited work on it or only FA Limiteds?

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 25, 2013

Aidan Gibson wrote:

If Pentax does bring out a Full Frame could would the Da Limited work on it or only FA Limiteds?

As far as I know, the DA40 and DA70 Limiteds will work just fine (will vignette wide open but Canikon FF does too) and , the DA35 f2.4 and DA50 f1.8 as well.

The DA50 f1.8 looks wonderful on FF

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, Apr 25, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

As far as I know, the DA40 and DA70 Limiteds will work just fine (will vignette wide open but Canikon FF does too) and , the DA35 f2.4 and DA50 f1.8 as well.

And What about the DA* lenses?

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?

AFAIK the DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300

-- hide signature --

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 25, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

Quote: "Mr. Tomoyoshi Shibata also confirmed that Pentax is working on a full frame DSLR camera that will be different than anything else available today."

It will have the word Pentax on it?

LOL! Russell that was a good laugh. After a root canal yesterday, I needed that!

gooseta
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Oh, wait I spent all my money on an M9...

Oh, well, I'll buy it in a year.

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
LBA and CBA haunt me.
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
X100 black
K5iis, K-01 with Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6, FA* 24/2, FA 35/2, M 50/1.7, Sigma 70/2.8 macro, DA* 300mm/4
Leica M9 Grey, 50 Summicron 1988, 21mm Elmarit preASPH, Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,272
Like?
In reply to T Evergreen, Apr 25, 2013

T Evergreen wrote:

Since we're all speculating, I'm thinking that Pentax is looking at all of those legacy lenses out there and developing a camera that auto focuses by moving the sensor back and forth rather than moving lens elements, similar to what the Contax AX did back in the late 90s.  That would make even M42 lenses auto focus.  Lenses with long throws would however require some prefocusing.

Its a neat idea but with serious flaws... this would have to be CDAF and semi-manual focus otherwise the mirror would get in the way and you wouldn't be able to see an in focus image before shooting. also the limited range of sensor movement will force semi-manual focus especially with lenses the extend a lot to obtain focus at close range.... actually the majority of the movement would be backwards into the body meaning no room to go to get any decent focus.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,245
Like?
Re: I'm betting on K-mount
In reply to Chris Mak, Apr 25, 2013

Chris Mak wrote:

From all that I've read so far, Pentax seems pretty dedicated to the K-mount, so I believe that the Full frame camera will have just the normal bayonet K-mount. I don't think it will be mirrorless either: for a while everyone at the Olympus forum (I switched from Olympus) was singing the "death of the DSLR-gospel" due to the rise of the EVF, but that take-over has more or less come to a standstill now that mirrorless has just taken its own place alongside Dslr. There are serious downsides to mirrorless that won't be easily solved in the near future, and certainly the quality Full frame OVF can not be replaced by a long way by an EVF. I read a while ago that Pentax had been considering an EVF for a possible FF camera, but soon put that aside, because research had shown, that the large majority of possible FF adopters greatly preferred an OVF, and is that not júst what makes FF so attractive, the large viewfinder. No, I think we will see a "traditional" K-mount FF with OVF, the uniqueness will lie in other innovations, and I'm glad personally: I have four Zeiss primes waiting for that Pentax FF!

Chris

Chris, how do you expect to get readers here if you make sense?

Joe

Joseph Tainter
Like?
Re: Full text of the interview is here.
In reply to il_alexk, Apr 25, 2013

il_alexk wrote:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcpop.com%2Fdoc%2F0%2F900%2F900149.shtml

Have you noticed a new compact size APS-C camera coming soon?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

From the translation: "chief supervision firewood"

Does this tell us what will be unique about it?

Joe

oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, Apr 25, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

AFAIK the DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300

-- hide signature --

The easiest way to find out would probably be to get a K-EOS adapter and stick them on a 5D or put them on a good ol' PZ-1 or something and see what they look like. I would imagine most of the shorter DA lenses will vignette a lot and be a little rough on the edges regarding resolution and CA. Knowing how much Pentax is dedicated to the K-Mount and the fact many people still shoot Pentax film bodies..... I would suspect that if they truly worked well out to the edges on FF, Pentax would have marketed them as FF. Most tele lenses throw a pretty big image circle, and I would imagine the longer lenses would work ok on an FF body. I'm pretty sure someone tried the new 560 on a film body and it looked pretty good on the edges considering.

What I want to see is a 77mm Ltd on a FF body. That was a great lens. If Pentax does bring a FF DSLR to the table, you can rest assured the used price of this lens will go sky high.... Kinda like the cult classic Minolta 100/2 did when the A900 came out.

Joseph Tainter
Like?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

I would not be surprised if it would have a crop mode for DA lenses.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads