Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
Apr 25, 2013

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/24/pentax-working-on-a-new-professional-aps-c-based-camera/

Quote: "Mr. Tomoyoshi Shibata also confirmed that Pentax is working on a full frame DSLR camera that will be different than anything else available today."

I wonder how it will be different? I think this is really exciting. I shoot Canon, but have a k1000 on the collection shelf and have a fair bit of time behind the VF of a 67 and 645N AF. Pentax makes great gear. Hopefully this is a beam of hope for you guys. I wonder what the time frame is for this camera, and what are they going to do about a lens line up. There is plenty of great used lenses out there for FF K mount, but many people will want to buy new glass. I would assume they may bring back some of the older fast zoom and prime designs with SDM and coating updates, or have a ton of lenses in development waiting for the release of this camera.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,602
Like?
Re: Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 25, 2013

I predict a FF mirrorless with a new mount, thats not really what i want, its what i predict.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 25, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

I predict a FF mirrorless with a new mount, thats not really what i want, its what i predict.

It looks like it, and hopefully no and just stay with good old OVF

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

I would expect a full frame to have focus peaking/live vew like the K 01 or K30. BUT, have AF and FP continual while shooting video.

Musts for me are:

Focus Peaking

Microphone input with vu meter

Reasonably small size

-- hide signature --

For the most part, I am ready. I have a Z16, A28/2.8, FA35/2, F50/1.7, plus some longer lenses and zooms. Most likely, I would get a Samyang 14.
Variance is Evil!

22codfish
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: "different than anything else available today"

I predict a bright yellow body instead of basic black.

22codfish's gear list:22codfish's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Pentax Optio M10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +4 more
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, Apr 25, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

How do you arrive at a new mount from "different than anything else available today"?

There are several new mount systems available for years now already, so that's definitely not anything different.

Different than anything else available today. Does that literally mean any other cameras, or just other full frame DSLRs. If the former, whatever it is that will make the new Pentax FF special hasn't been done by anybody else already so will be difficult to guess until we see it.

Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,549Gear list
Like?

Note that the rumor comes via RiceHigh.  Don't bet the farm on it...

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Pentax K-5 IIs +4 more
kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?
Mirror paint colors?
In reply to 22codfish, Apr 25, 2013

22codfish wrote:

I predict a bright yellow body instead of basic black.

I don't think we've seen mirror reflective paint on any DSLRs yet

p.s., we've heard the "it'll be different" comment before w/ the FF rumors.  I'll believe it when I see it.  The 645D took forever to come to market...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?
Marc Newson design

"Marc Newson could being working on it external body design"...

l

l

l

l

v

just joking

Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?

oklaphotog wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/24/pentax-working-on-a-new-professional-aps-c-based-camera/

Quote: "Mr. Tomoyoshi Shibata also confirmed that Pentax is working on a full frame DSLR camera that will be different than anything else available today."

I wonder how it will be different?

How about a camera which handles like cameras of old? With an aperture ring and an "A" setting like the good old FA lenses - nobody does that anymore on APS-C. 4/3 or FF

The Named of the Camera? the LX-1 (we have H vor APS-c, MX is taken, LX is free .... )

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +6 more
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?
Or a Fixed 17-55mm f2.8 lens on FF body?

Jokes apart, a good fixed zoom lens on FF body could be a RX-1, X100s, etc, killer.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,407
Like?
In reply to Andreas Stuebs, Apr 25, 2013

Andreas Stuebs wrote:

oklaphotog wrote:

I wonder how it will be different?

How about a camera which handles like cameras of old? With an aperture ring and an "A" setting like the good old FA lenses - nobody does that anymore on APS-C. 4/3 or FF

The Named of the Camera? the LX-1 (we have H vor APS-c, MX is taken, LX is free .... )

I don't think Pentax wants their target demographic sitting in God's waiting room.

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,437
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Apr 25, 2013

anthony mazzeri wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

How do you arrive at a new mount from "different than anything else available today"?

There are several new mount systems available for years now already, so that's definitely not anything different.

Different than anything else available today. Does that literally mean any other cameras, or just other full frame DSLRs. If the former, whatever it is that will make the new Pentax FF special hasn't been done by anybody else already so will be difficult to guess until we see it.

If Pentax can produce a FF DSLR that is as small as a K-5 (or smaller), that would be a notable achievement that would qualify as "different."  I, for one, would be very interested.  However, I think that EVFs are going to replace OVFs sooner or later, so I would like to see this feature as well.

Rob

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?

I don't think it'll have an EVF, simply because Pentax are behind that particular curve.

IMO the difference will be in size/ergonomics. Speculation of course, but it's fun to speculate.

-- hide signature --
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

But the rumour says "Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR". A MILC would not be a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?

It will have the word Pentax on it?

Thank you
Russell

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069
Like?
Re: I'm betting on K-mount
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 25, 2013

From all that I've read so far, Pentax seems pretty dedicated to the K-mount, so I believe that the Full frame camera will have just the normal bayonet K-mount. I don't think it will be mirrorless either: for a while everyone at the Olympus forum (I switched from Olympus) was singing the "death of the DSLR-gospel" due to the rise of the EVF, but that take-over has more or less come to a standstill now that mirrorless has just taken its own place alongside Dslr. There are serious downsides to mirrorless that won't be easily solved in the near future, and certainly the quality Full frame OVF can not be replaced by a long way by an EVF. I read a while ago that Pentax had been considering an EVF for a possible FF camera, but soon put that aside, because research had shown, that the large majority of possible FF adopters greatly preferred an OVF, and is that not júst what makes FF so attractive, the large viewfinder. No, I think we will see a "traditional" K-mount FF with OVF, the uniqueness will lie in other innovations, and I'm glad personally: I have four Zeiss primes waiting for that Pentax FF!

Chris

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim King, Apr 25, 2013

Jim King wrote:

Note that the rumor comes via RiceHigh.  Don't bet the farm on it...

He's not the source, though (always check the source, when it's via RH!). The source is a Chinese site - http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/900/900149.shtml- and since there were pictures we can assume the interview actually took place

However, I don't see anything new from the Japanese interviews some time ago.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,602
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 25, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

But the rumour says "Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR". A MILC would not be a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Hmmm... maybe a digital LX ? tons of accessories and features

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 25, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

It will have the word Pentax on it?

Thank you
Russell

Well, if Pentax is working on a Pentax full frame DSLR using the Pentax K-mount, I guess they will have trouble deciding the brand...

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads