best prime and zoom lens for nx300? good bokeh/sharp pics? family pics / holiday snaps (budget)

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
wakkaday
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
best prime and zoom lens for nx300? good bokeh/sharp pics? family pics / holiday snaps (budget)
Apr 25, 2013

any good value lenses i can get for the above? i dont mind a manual for the prime lens

but any good zoom lenses with af for nx...?

thanks

Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wakkaday
Like?
Re: best prime and zoom lens for nx300? good bokeh/sharp pics? family pics / holiday snaps (budget)
In reply to wakkaday, Apr 25, 2013
Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED OIS lens this lens has recieved good and poor reviews on amazon? whats opinons here?
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Indylilian
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
Re: best prime and zoom lens for nx300? good bokeh/sharp pics? family pics / holiday snaps (budget)

tamron 28-75 sharp detail and neutral color
Nikon 35-70 f2.8 sharp color and good bokeh
NX30 f2 excellent prime with fair bokeh

paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?

very good lens really. not much to fault it in any respect.

bokeh on samsung lenses is good on all and outstanding on the 85mm in my eyes

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
wakkaday
Like?
In reply to paulhome, Apr 25, 2013

thanks guys

which is the 85mm lens? is that made by samsung...

will i still have af on the nx with the above lenses?

tamron 28-75 sharp detail and neutral color
Nikon 35-70 f2.8 sharp color and good bokeh
NX30 f2 excellent prime with fair bokeh

wakkaday
Like?

would i need special adaptors to use the non samsung lenses?

paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

yup. and no AF. but a world of great glass is cheap and out there.

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

any good value lenses i can get for the above? i dont mind a manual for the prime lens

thanks

My favorite Samsung lenses:

12-24mm f/4-5.6, 16mm f/2.4, 30mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 macro, and 85mm f/1.4

Large list I know, the 45mm f/1.8 is small, gives good bokeh, but might not be wide enough.  The 30mm is great and a lot wider (standard).  For individual shots the 45, 60 and 85 are going to be nice and for entire family shots the 30mm f/2 (depending on how many people in your family :)).

For zoom lenses the 20-50mm has nice bokeh but is slow focusing and no OIS.  The 18-55mm is maybe a bit harsher bokeh but fast focusing and has OIS.  The 50-200 I hear is pretty decent.

I am not a zoom shooter so can't help much there.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
wakkaday
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 25, 2013

thank you for your advice, will look into them....i suppose focus peaking will get pics in focus right? i should be able to do that...

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

thank you for your advice, will look into them....i suppose focus peaking will get pics in focus right? i should be able to do that...

Those were all AF lenses, no need for focus peaking.

Focus peaking is more helpful on manual focus lenses.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
yooperguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 25, 2013

I have an NX100, and recently purchased the 18-55mm Samsung lens.  I also have the kit 20-50mm, 30mm, 16mm, and 50-200mm.  The 18-55mm and 50-200mm have OIS and reversing lens hoods. Yes, they are a larger size than the others, but that doesn't bother me very much. The other lenses are all good, but no OIS, which can be a pain sometimes.  The 16mm and 30mm are "faster" lenses, but have a limited use.  I use them, but not as much as I thought I would.

You might be happy with just the 18-55mm for family/holiday snaps, since it is integrated with the Samsung system (AF, iFn, and other aspects).  The 50-200m has worked well for me too, but I don't use it that much.

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G15 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

thanks

The nx lenses seem to be split into three catagories. compact, zoom and pro.

the compacts are the pancake lenses, 45mm and the 20-50 zoom, the pros are the 85 and 60, the zooms are the 12-24, the 18-55 and 55-200m zooms.

there are gems throughout the range, that sometimes bely samsungs arbitrary labels for them.

a great setup would include the 30mm, as it is as good as the pro lenses but small, the 16mm is good due to its size, so if wa is less critical it takes up no space in a bag and is a good lens. If wa is critically important the uwa zoom is there but larger. the 50-200mm is a really good, light longer zoom and an unsung hero of the range imo.

My little bag consits of the 16, 30 and 50-200, plus the sef20a flash. i am very happy with that setup as a carry around/travel bag. i do intend to buy the 45mm as it is so small that it wont impact my svelte theory, and it also manages to impress with its filter thread being the same as all the pancakes, which actually makes a huge difference, and justifies its place in a compact system, imo.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

thanks

NX300? you'll be fine with the bundled 18-55 kit.

the camera's IQ is top notch.

northlondon43
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Apr 26, 2013

No one seems to have mentioned the 18-200mm!

northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +4 more
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to northlondon43, Apr 26, 2013

northlondon43 wrote:

No one seems to have mentioned the 18-200mm!

Was just about to say that

I guess it's cost that directs most away, but I found it to be a pretty decent "leave on camera" lens during my holiday. It's not as good as the 50-200mm optically, but is the most versatile lens in the system for travel.

It's darn heavy too.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
wakkaday
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 26, 2013

i have the kit lens which is 20-50mm i think...

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to wakkaday, Apr 26, 2013

wakkaday wrote:

personally, that lens is enough for your needs.

yooperguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Apr 26, 2013

Ariston wrote:

wakkaday wrote:

personally, that lens is enough for your needs.

I would agree, since you have the NX300.  I have the NX100, and high ISO is not very good. It looks like the NX300 is excellent, based on the limited review images I've seen.  The higher ISO performance should easily overcome the lack of OIS in the lens.  I've taken some excellent photos with just the 20-50mm lens, but low light/high ISO images will suffer because of lack and OIS and the "slow" lens beginning at f/3.5.  Although I have the 50-200mm lens, it's rather large and heavy, and I tend to not carry it much.  The 16mm and 30mm would be my recommended additions vs a zoom.  I'm finding I use the 16mm more than the 30mm lately.

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G15 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulhome, May 1, 2013

paulhome wrote:

wakkaday wrote:

yup. and no AF. but a world of great glass is cheap and out there.

An adapter is about $22 on ebay. And you need a different adapter for each lens mount type. The adapters will have a thickness so as to bring the legacy lens at the right distance from flange to sensor that it was optimized for.

As Paul says, lots of glass out there, and since you may be shopping on ebay, make sure you ask the seller: any fungus/mold, any haze, any scratches, any bubbles or delamination? I've noticed that most sellers leave much, or some, of this information out of their listings. We like to think out of carelessness, but just to protect yourself in the event of a paypal claim, make sure you check first, and ask if the info is missing.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
sixfootzero
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
In reply to Timmbits, May 2, 2013

Between ebay and the used section of my local camera store I have 7 prime lenses for less than the cost of a new af lens. (28mm through 300mm) I have Minolta MC/MD lenses; cheap and plentiful. The 58mm f1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 are nice performers and are relatively compact.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads