Is the HS50EXR the right camera for me?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
ciberguenzza
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Is the HS50EXR the right camera for me?
Apr 25, 2013

I currently have the Fujifilm HS30EXR (HS50EXR predecessor) even when is not a perfect camera is ok for me. Personally I like the manual zoom ring, I think I would never go back to electronic zoom unless I find one that works really well. I also like the super zoom with stabilizer capabilities without having to spend tons of money.

So seems HS50EXR would be my logical next step, however Nikon, and Canon have doing some good interesting things.

Even If I sold my current camera and pay just the difference that will still be around $250

Is the HS50EXR really so different than my current HS30EXR that worth's spending  the money?

Or should I go in a different direction?

Thank you for your advise

Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,237Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the HS50EXR the right camera for me?
In reply to ciberguenzza, Apr 26, 2013
-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lee37
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?

I have the HS10 and HS30.  Very happy with both.  I bought the HS50 as I thought it was an upgrade.  Bottom line, I sent it back.  It may have been a bad sample of the HS50 as others seem to like the camera.  I tested the camera by taking several images of places, things, ..that I use as test targets with it and the HS30.  I did not feel that the HS50 exhibited improvement over the HS30 in enough situations to justify keeping it.  Also it had some flaws...the manual zoom was very rough,  the SD card door opened 3 times while I was shooting (the hs10 & 30 never has done that),  I didn't like the "Q-button" or new menu layout.  Bad sample, unfair test...could be.  I bought an XS-1 and like it a lot.  Outstanding color and IQ.  Plus it just feels right!  A real upgrade to the HS30.

Lee37's gear list:Lee37's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to Lee37, Apr 26, 2013

Contrast to the above post, i've not had any battery door opening issues. As for the not liking the Q menu, that's personal opinion, it doesn't make it a bad camera. I've spent a month getting used to the new layout and the Q menu is actually very good, as you can switch out more options than with the 5 buttons they had before. Yes you have to go into a mini menu which is an extra step, but you can define one setting to the up d-pad button. Also once you made settings in different modes, PASM EXR etc, the camera remembers your settings for each mode separately, so you can set options for each mode, and then leave them for certain shooting situations.

The long zoom is a bit rough to start with, but it soon starts to smooth out. Plus the reach of the zoom is much better than the other cams. Write speeds to card is blazingly fast, as is autofocus speed, and startup time. All things that will make sure you get more of the shots you want, when they just pop up in front of you!

I upgraded from a HS20 which was a brilliant camera, but had focus problems in low light, the HS50 focuses instantly from both ends of the zoom in moderate to good light, and while slower at times in low light, it does focus better and quicker than my HS20 did in similar conditions.

So is the upgrade worth it, yes, providing you want faster write to card, longer zoom, faster autofocus with phase detect and contrast Focus, and quicker startup and shot to times. If those options you want, and have the money to afford, i'd say go for it. I did!

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,219
Like?

Fuji X-S2, if it's released as rumoured. Otherwise an X-S1 second hand.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads