Any Samyang cine users?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
zigge
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
Any Samyang cine users?
Apr 25, 2013

Just bought the 14mm cine version, it appears i can't control aperture, nor does it say focal length in exif data, it's suppose to be like that? I love the lens though super sharp.

zigge's gear list:zigge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
inferno10
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Samyang cine users?
In reply to zigge, Apr 25, 2013

zigge wrote:

Just bought the 14mm cine version, it appears i can't control aperture, nor does it say focal length in exif data, it's suppose to be like that? I love the lens though super sharp.

Like many of Samyang's product, this lens does not have any electrical contacts for communication with the camera body.  Also, as a cine lens, it has a de-clicked aperture for smooth aperture adjustment while recording video, so it's designed to be operated manually.

inferno10's gear list:inferno10's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tomasg71
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?

As far as i know the ones for video are not chipped, so no way to get the full exif, i don t know if for video the Nikon cameras allow to enter the data for the lens in the "Non CPU lens data base", i have a D700, but i guess they should? And the aperture is "clickless".

Tomas

zigge
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tomasg71, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks both, i got a reply from Samyang saying the cine versions does not come chipped. I have to figure out if im gonna take the normal one instead, my version is tack sharp and i love the feel of the cine. Kind of a bummer not to be able to change aperture though ah well.

zigge's gear list:zigge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Hasa
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I have non-chipped 35mm and 16mm lenses with diaphragm clickstops (zeiss & xenitar).

Both lenses have automatic diaphragms that close down at exposure.

I have entered the "non-cpu" lens data in the D800 and it provides the focal length and the actual F no. used in the exif data.

I have to select the correct lens each time I change from chiped lens to 16 to 35mm. It defaults to 35mm. I guess that if I only had one non-chipped lens this would be fully automatic.

But the maximum F stop is rendered as "1" in the exif although I have entered the correct maximum F-stop for both lenses. Maybe this is a bug? I could also just choose to be proud of my "F1"  35mm and 16mm lenses

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Hasa's gear list:Hasa's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +10 more
BartyLobethal
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
I have the chipped, non-cine version

and it's pretty sharp too. If you don't need the features of the cine version, then change it.

The first sample I got was not chipped (also very sharp). I was able to enter non-cpu lens data for it into my D300s. I exchanged it for a chipped version. It's not a lens I use frequently, but the ability to change aperture from a command dial like all my other lenses makes the chip worthwhile.

Headframe and winding house at the Junction Mine, Broken Hill, NSW.

-- hide signature --

BartyL

BartyLobethal's gear list:BartyLobethal's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
Tomasg71
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
In reply to Hasa, Apr 27, 2013

Hasa wrote:

Hi,

I have non-chipped 35mm and 16mm lenses with diaphragm clickstops (zeiss & xenitar).

Both lenses have automatic diaphragms that close down at exposure.

I have entered the "non-cpu" lens data in the D800 and it provides the focal length and the actual F no. used in the exif data.

I have to select the correct lens each time I change from chiped lens to 16 to 35mm. It defaults to 35mm. I guess that if I only had one non-chipped lens this would be fully automatic.

But the maximum F stop is rendered as "1" in the exif although I have entered the correct maximum F-stop for both lenses. Maybe this is a bug? I could also just choose to be proud of my "F1"  35mm and 16mm lenses

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Althought i have a D700 not a D800, you must be doing something wrong in the non CPU data base. I have all nine filled up, also with non Nikkor lenses, i can set their max. aperture and for the Nikkor lenses the exif will show the actual aperture used, on my non Nikkors it will show their max. aperture only. I even set the func. button to access the data base, so when i keep it pressed and rotate the dial i swap between different lenses stored in it.

Tomas

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads