X100s Firmware Update Available

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
X100s Firmware Update Available
Apr 25, 2013
 NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Gabriel
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Re: X100s Firmware Update Available
In reply to NachoYogi, Apr 25, 2013

Cool. So what is new? What have they fixed?
--
My kit as of now: Nikon D90, SB-600, 20-35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2.0,
85mm f/1.8, - all Nikkors. Aperture 3 from Apple.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Gabriel
Like?

Found it. Quite boring update:

The firmware update Ver.1.02 incorporates the following issues:
1.The phenomenon is fixed that the brightness of the OVF bright frame doesn't change according to a surrounding brightness in case of ISO 1600 and higher.

-- hide signature --

NachoYogi
Like?

This is what was fixed (although I hadn't realised this was an issue, I updated anyway):

"The firmware update Ver.1.02 incorporates the following issues:

• 1.The phenomenon is fixed that the brightness of the OVF bright frame doesn't change according to a surrounding brightness in case of ISO 1600 and higher."
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
NachoYogi
Like?

Must say, it's nice not to lose your custom settings when updating!

Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: X100s no news is good news.

The fact that the firmware update was SO minor speaks volumes to the fact that Fuji got 99% of the major items correct right out of the gate.

(If the FW had huge fixes, I'd be annoyed at having bought the camera in the first place.)

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Peter Gabriel
Like?
In reply to Ezra R, Apr 25, 2013

Ezra R wrote:

The fact that the firmware update was SO minor speaks volumes to the fact that Fuji got 99% of the major items correct right out of the gate.

(If the FW had huge fixes, I'd be annoyed at having bought the camera in the first place.)

I have read somewhere that people updating from firmware 1.0 to 1.01 has complained that the AF gets slow like on the x100.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,017Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Gabriel, Apr 25, 2013

Peter Gabriel wrote:

Ezra R wrote:

I have read somewhere that people updating from firmware 1.0 to 1.01 has complained that the AF gets slow like on the x100.

I do not believe that anyone has upgraded from 1.0 to 1.01, because 1.01 was never a downloadable FW update. Some cameras came with 1.0, others with 1.01. Also, as far as I know, there has not been a direct, side-by-side comparison of an X100s with 1.0, with an X100s with 1.01.

Still, many believe that 1.01 AF is slower, based on anecdotal evidence. That may be true, but the belief has not been tested. If, in fact, there is bug in 1.01 that slowed focusing, there might be a hidden fix in 1.02. It will be interesting to hear from 1.01 user who upgrade to 1.02.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Peter Gabriel
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Apr 25, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

Peter Gabriel wrote:

Ezra R wrote:

I do not believe that anyone has upgraded from 1.0 to 1.01, because 1.01 was never a downloadable FW update. Some cameras came with 1.0, others with 1.01. Also, as far as I know, there has not been a direct, side-by-side comparison of an X100s with 1.0, with an X100s with 1.01.

Still, many believe that 1.01 AF is slower, based on anecdotal evidence. That may be true, but the belief has not been tested. If, in fact, there is bug in 1.01 that slowed focusing, there might be a hidden fix in 1.02. It will be interesting to hear from 1.01 user who upgrade to 1.02.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Yes, would be nice to know. I'm still waiting for dpreviews test before making my final decision, but I think I'm very close to buying the x100s. Seems like a killer camera.

-- hide signature --

Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Gabriel, Apr 25, 2013

Peter Gabriel wrote:

Yes, would be nice to know. I'm still waiting for dpreviews test before making my final decision, but I think I'm very close to buying the x100s. Seems like a killer camera.

If you are even *thinking* of getting it -- get it!

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Le Tchetche
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Apr 25, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

Peter Gabriel wrote:

Ezra R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Just read some feedback on a French forum : users who upgraded to v1.02 report the impression that it is indeed less hunting (back/forth movement) in good/moderate light, but no real difference in low light.

Anyone else upgraded and got the same impression ?

-- hide signature --
 Le Tchetche's gear list:Le Tchetche's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
NachoYogi
Like?
In reply to Le Tchetche, Apr 25, 2013

I hate to say this because I know it will cause unnecessary controversy,  but my immediate impression was exactly in line with what your French forum was saying : less hunting - quicker lock.

xeriwthe
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?

NachoYogi wrote:

I hate to say this because I know it will cause unnecessary controversy,  but my immediate impression was exactly in line with what your French forum was saying : less hunting - quicker lock.

lol, if there's one thing fujifilm knows as well as they know image processing and color management

edit: not always unnecessary tho

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,017Gear list
Like?
In reply to Le Tchetche, Apr 25, 2013

Le Tchetche wrote:

Just read some feedback on a French forum...

Please post a link to that forum. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
scst48
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

I went from 1.01 to 1.02. Have the impressiion too that hunting is less and AF is a bit faster.

They might fixed some issues without telling

-- hide signature --

Stefan

max01
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
help! firmware update canceled

I tried to update my x100s and reformatted the card with the new update on it.  I had the usb attached as well.  Received a yellow warning sign that the Firmware update has been canceled and to the turn off the camera.  According to the Fuji site, I should bring it in for service.  ??? I love this camera but it won't update and I certainly don't want to send it in for service after having it only for a couple of weeks.  Is anyone else having a problem with updating?  Thanks!

max01
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: help! firmware update canceled
In reply to max01, Apr 25, 2013

Also, I had a newly charged battery in it.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,231Gear list
Like?

max01 wrote:

Also, I had a newly charged battery in it.

I was just going to try, i will wait.  Thx

wosim
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Apr 25, 2013

I updated successfully. No USB-connection with the computer, fully charged battery. Card formated in the cam, took it out of the cam and put it into the notebooks card reader, copied the downloaded firmware onto the card, put the card into the cam, switched it on holding the Disp/Back Button, confirmed the questions and in about 90 seconds it was done. Reformated the card in the cam.

-- hide signature --
 wosim's gear list:wosim's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Leica M9 +11 more
nomad147
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?

you dont update with the camera connected to the computer, it wont work that way, the instructions are specific that you need to use a formatted SD card in a card reader. try it that way and i think you will have success!!

-- hide signature --

wssa member #320PX

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads