Lumix DMC FT5

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
johnbandry
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
Lumix DMC FT5
Apr 25, 2013

Probably a misunderstanding, but...

I visited my local camera shop today to enquire about this camera (price drop on wex website to £299 already) and was told they wouldn't be stocking it as the FT6 would be coming out next month.

Has anyone else heard anything, and does anyone have first-hand/hands-on experience of the FT5?

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 (Lumix DMC-FT5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
primozp
Contributing MemberPosts: 729Gear list
Like?
Re: Lumix DMC FT5
In reply to johnbandry, Apr 25, 2013

johnbandry wrote:

I visited my local camera shop today to enquire about this camera (price drop on wex website to £299 already) and was told they wouldn't be stocking it as the FT6 would be coming out next month.

FT6 next month (may 2013)? No way!

FT6 next march (2014)? Yes way

-- hide signature --

http://g3.img-dpreview.com/B687C13A02B04140818C9D96546B1CF0.jpg
My (mostly underwater) photos and videos made with
compact UW cameras (Pentax Wxx & Panasonic TSx/FTx):
photos @ http://public.fotki.com/Primoz/
video footage @ http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimozP#g/p

primozp's gear list:primozp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,281Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnbandry, Apr 25, 2013

johnbandry wrote:

Has anyone else heard anything, and does anyone have first-hand/hands-on experience of the FT5?

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

1. The FT5 (TS5) just came out. There is no replacement in the works. The camera shop is confusing Panasonic camera models. Price variability is the hallmark of Panasonic marketing. The LX7 price has dipped very low leading to all sorts of speculation originally. Then it went up, and then down, and up...

2. There is a big thread dedicated to the FT5 (TS5):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51340080

Pictures and videos. It is great camera, for stills and video.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
johnbandry
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
In reply to Markr041, Apr 26, 2013

Thanks for the pointer to the thread - I missed it because I only searched for FT5. I assumed the shop was mistaken; probably thinking of the GF6(?). Anyway, I've ordered an FT/TS5 and will know more soon. I'm planning on taking it sailing/swimming in the med in a week.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 5,002Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnbandry, Apr 26, 2013

johnbandry wrote:

Panasonic has a release history that allows for fairly predictable new-release schedules and it's likely too soon for a FT5 replacement.  Not sure what type of shop you visited, but many will avoid reordering and getting stuck with an old model - claiming that it's being replaced "soon".  In the meantime, they'll be happy to sell you something else.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,281Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnbandry, Apr 27, 2013

johnbandry wrote:

Thanks for the pointer to the thread - I missed it because I only searched for FT5. I assumed the shop was mistaken; probably thinking of the GF6(?). Anyway, I've ordered an FT/TS5 and will know more soon. I'm planning on taking it sailing/swimming in the med in a week.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

Let us know how it does. Better - show us!

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads