Best lab for photo book

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Debbie
Contributing MemberPosts: 586
Like?
Best lab for photo book
Apr 25, 2013

My daughter just had her engagement photos taken by a professional photographer in Chicago (I live in Ohio).  We bought the rights to the photos in our package.  Our plan is to make a book of the images and use that book as the sign-in for guests.  This way they can display the book on the coffee table in their home and have the memories of everyone that attended the wedding.  I'm not a professional photographer but have used mPIX and SmugMug.  I would like recommendations of where a non-professional could get a book that looks professional.  I'm willing to pay a fair amount for a quality book.  Thank you.

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Re: Best lab for photo book
In reply to Debbie, Apr 25, 2013

I did two blurb books and was happy with the results.  A few months ago I tried to research the various vendors and did not come to any definite conclusion.  Frankly I suspect the results are very similar for most of the vendors.  If there is an especially high quality vendor, I did not find it.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thill1111
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to Debbie, Apr 25, 2013

SmugMug has capability to work with Blurb for making books:

http://www.blurb.com/partner/smugmug

But you can also use Blurb's Booksmart software to create a book directly without having to have photos uploaded to SmugMug.  I've had good luck with books I've made from Blurb.

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to thill1111, Apr 25, 2013

I'm in UK and have used BLURB quite a few times. Booksmart is the software to use. Pop into their site and download it. Also download the profile and put into photoshop, if you use PS that is. My Blurb books were printed in Holland, yours will be printed in USA. Very Happy with All my Wedding books.

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Debbie
Like?
Thank you for all the help...
In reply to MrScary, May 7, 2013

I use PSE as I'm just a hobbiest.  Since these images are from a professional I would like the book to be stunning.  I will check out BLURB.

Thanks for all the help

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you for all the help...
In reply to Debbie, May 7, 2013

Another option is to have high quality prints made and then bind them.  The Unibind (r) system has very good reviews, but I have no direct recommendation or experience with this system.  The individual prints and the binding could cost more than Blurb but with the highest possible quality.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Trout479
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, May 7, 2013
Debbie
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, May 7, 2013

Ohhh, I think I will look into that.  That sounds like something I might really want.  Thanks so much

Debbie
Like?
Read the article and ...
In reply to Trout479, May 7, 2013
No text.
Debbie
Like?
Read this one...not previous one...Read article and...
In reply to Trout479, May 7, 2013

it was extremely helpful.  Think I will research My Publisher and Unibind.

Again, thank you to everyone

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,682
Like?
On the Unibind process...
In reply to Debbie, May 7, 2013

Debbie wrote:

Ohhh, I think I will look into that.  That sounds like something I might really want.  Thanks so much

I use it and it works just great for certain needs.  Remember the pages don't lay flat easily, the thicker the paper the less lay....

Buy the kit from here to get the heating tool.

http://www.adorama.com/FSUPBC.html

Buy your album covers from here, you need to buy in quantity (10 pc lots) but much cheaper than anyone else.

http://www.thermobinding.com/shop/Unibind-Landscape-PhotoBooks2/

For custom lab books I have used MPIX,  White House Custom Color, and AdoramaPix and found that Adorama quality is great for the low price and the pages lay flat.

Bob P.

WilsonSmith
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Debbie, 10 months ago

While going for printing an event, one should be aware of the facts that are being used for printing methods.

Printing Services

srock
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilsonSmith, 10 months ago

May be of some use to you: good photobook reviews

http://www.photobookgirl.com/

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +8 more
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,388Gear list
Like?
In reply to Debbie, 10 months ago

Since you only need the one book for now and want it right, unless the cost were outrageous, I would have trusted to the photographer for that one book. Then he or she would be responsible for getting it right. Owning the rights to the photos makes sense for further books, individual prints of the best photos, etc.  All possible blessings.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads