Welcome to M43, Kodak

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Winston Loo
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
Re: Welcome to M43, Kodak
In reply to AndyGM, Apr 26, 2013

AndyGM wrote:

The Kodak Stormtrooper 1. Nice. Presumably the suggested telephoto lens is for taking shots of things far, far away?

I'll stop now...

The telephoto lens morphs into a 4 ft long lightsaber.. the Kodak LS-1 14-1000mm

Winston Loo's gear list:Winston Loo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David J Barber
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?
They are after the Chinese market...politics
In reply to s_grins, Apr 26, 2013

'China' is not happy with Japan and recent troubles have highlighted areas where Chinese people cannot buy a Chinese alternative to be "patriotic". After the last 'island' dispute, the Chinese walked past my building in their thousands, trashed local (Chinese owned) Japanese restaurants and business, overturned Japanese cars; the country followed up with a "Boycott Japanese goods" call across their internet. It was not pretty. All of this recorded by Japanese cameras.

One area which is dominated by their sworn enemy (When useful to the Chinese government) is cameras.

Whilst most of the Chinese brands are still in their infancy and, to a great degree, not trusted or bought by the wealthy in China, they are getting better. The potential market in China for a Chinese made camera is huge. That it may be good enough to be competitive in the external world markets is also worth investment.

-- hide signature --

David J Barber's gear list:David J Barber's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Olympus, Panasonic, BlackMagic, Kodak...
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 26, 2013

It really is now a standard rather than a proprietary format.

Sony, Canon, Nikon would sue your pants off if you try to make a camera body that supports their system.

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm affraid that it is really just......
In reply to nekrosoft13, Apr 26, 2013

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

This is great news, I'm very glad to see another manufacturer with a recognized brand name join the system.

-- hide signature --

blog: http://photographyandtravels.blogspot.co.uk/
flickr: http://ow.ly/eojki
K1000 -> A70 -> K100D -> GF1 -> E-M5
P 20mm + O 9-18mm + O 40-150mm + O 12-50mm

a camera made by Olympus for Kodak.

So not really another manufacturer.

Kodak is now just a name like "Vivitar" or "Spiratone"  used to be.

They don't actually make anything.

Tedolph

Is it made by Olympus? The kitlens is not the same as the Olympus ones it seems.

A lot of company's don't actually make anything. Like Apple for example.

It's not a real Kodak but most people in this market segment don't know and tan Kodak is a familiar name. It can be a good thing for Olympus and Panasonic. More people to sell lenses.

no, its not made by Olympus, but a new Chinesse company called something like JK Imaging or something like that. They bought the rights to use Kodak name.

JK Imaging  is an AMERICAN company all the Chinese are doing is making it  just as they do for Olympus

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?
In reply to Winston Loo, Apr 26, 2013

Do not forget these cameras are probably being targeted at a less sneery, less elitist market and probably with limited funds (the latter a concept E-M5 owners probably would not understand) but they might help m43 however much consternation is caused amongst real photographers.

If the word Kodak makes you grope for your smelling salts the camera is probably best ignored for your own peace of mind.

Winston Loo wrote:

AndyGM wrote:

The Kodak Stormtrooper 1. Nice. Presumably the suggested telephoto lens is for taking shots of things far, far away?

I'll stop now...

The telephoto lens morphs into a 4 ft long lightsaber.. the Kodak LS-1 14-1000mm

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,934Gear list
Like?
Bingo......
In reply to deleted_081301, Apr 26, 2013

DickyUK wrote:

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

This is great news, I'm very glad to see another manufacturer with a recognized brand name join the system.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

Is it made by Olympus? The kitlens is not the same as the Olympus ones it seems.

It's not a real Kodak but most people in this market segment don't know and tan Kodak is a familiar name. It can be a good thing for Olympus and Panasonic. More people to sell lenses.

no, its not made by Olympus, but a new Chinesse company called something like JK Imaging or something like that. They bought the rights to use Kodak name.

JK Imaging  is an AMERICAN company all the Chinese are doing is making it  just as they do for Olympus

Bingo.

And it is the same company.

And it was designed by Olympus.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,934Gear list
Like?
Take a close look......
In reply to Thorgrem, Apr 26, 2013

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

at the filter size for the lens.

It is the old 14-42 in drag.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to AndyGM, Apr 26, 2013

AndyGM wrote:

I'll stop now...

Let's hope it at least has better accuracy.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562Gear list
Like?
Re: Take a close look......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 26, 2013

tedolf wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

at the filter size for the lens.

It is the old 14-42 in drag.

Filter size is 37mm, same as new 14-42 has. It does look like old 14-42mm but it pulls out like the new one.

and then there is unique aperture range - F3.7-5.3. If it stays in production unit we'll get the fastest kit zoom (at the long end).

There is a bit of mystery in JK Imaging. It may have something in common with General Electric, which also was a brand name for cameras

http://petapixel.com/2013/01/23/kodak-brand-license-holder-jk-imaging-shrouded-in-mystery/

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Dreeke
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
In reply to s_grins, Apr 26, 2013

s_grins wrote:

Probably, you did not read camera announcement carefully. This is not M43 camera, this is the camera with 4/3 sensor. I think you understand the difference.

If you look at the pictures you will see a mft logo to the lower left (the right hand side of the camera) of the lens.

Dreeke's gear list:Dreeke's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
gandalfII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 26, 2013

Um uh, Kodak developed the 43 standard...

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,982Gear list
Like?
Re: Welcome to M43? Kodak
In reply to ogremage, Apr 26, 2013

ogremage wrote:

Ironically Kodak in its old form was in the 4:3 consortium early on - I believe 'their' sensor was in the impressive Olympus E500.  I was so very close to buying one of those...

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 27, 2013

Good to see the pictures.   When it comes out, I'll be comparing it to the E-PL5 and checking for important specs like:  where is the image stabilization, type of sensor, focus time, etc.  Hopefully the Oly connection means IBIS and not OIS.  On the negative side, I wouldn't expect it to exceed the features of any Oly camera in production.

The black one really looks like a Kodak.  I hope they make a black lens to go with it. The white one, however, looks like a bathroom accessory.  I'd expect it to come with a toothbrush and lens cleaning floss.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +29 more
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
How about the screen?
In reply to micksh6, Apr 27, 2013

Does anyone know if it has a swivel or tilting screen?

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Revenant
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to s_grins, Apr 27, 2013

s_grins wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Lets hope this new Kodak S1 rumour is true.  Sony sensor.  Could it also have s sensor like the OMD one?  I don't think it can afford to get some brand new one designed for just this camera.   Release in Q3!

http://www.43rumors.com/new-pictures-of-the-kodak-s1-mft-camera/

This could be a very significant, strategically speaking, development, to have another maker of M43 cameras, after the recent Black Magic cinema camera announcement.  That will make M43 more attractive to independent lens makers and hopefully attract even more support from other hardware and software suppliers.  A universal mount standard is taking shape  

Probably, you did not read camera announcement carefully. This is not M43 camera, this is the camera with 4/3 sensor. I think you understand the difference.

Anyway, I appreciate new evolving brand and new competitor.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

This is indeed a m4/3 camera. JK Imaging (the official licensee of the Kodak brand) joined the m4/3 consortium some time ago, and they are listed as a supporting company on the official website. Also, the camera has the official m4/3 logo.

None of this is new, though. JK Imaging made an early announcement of this camera already last year.

Revenant
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Bingo......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 27, 2013

tedolf wrote:

DickyUK wrote:

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

Bingo.

And it is the same company.

And it was designed by Olympus.

Tedolph

JK Imaging is an American company, and they are the official licensee of the Kodak brand. The owner of the company also runs Jaacx Distributors, a Miami-based company that distributes consumer electronics products to Latin America. They have no resources to design and manufacture cameras or lenses themselves, so that is certainly outsourced to another company. The Taiwanese company Asia Optical has been mentioned as the manufacturer, which is a more likely candidate than Olympus.

The reason why the camera was pre-announced in China last year, and again announced in China recently, but not in America or Europe, seems to suggest that Asia is the intended main target market of this product.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads