Welcome to M43, Kodak

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,516Gear list
Like?
Welcome to M43, Kodak
Apr 25, 2013

Lets hope this new Kodak S1 rumour is true.  Sony sensor.  Could it also have s sensor like the OMD one?  I don't think it can afford to get some brand new one designed for just this camera.   Release in Q3!

http://www.43rumors.com/new-pictures-of-the-kodak-s1-mft-camera/

This could be a very significant, strategically speaking, development, to have another maker of M43 cameras, after the recent Black Magic cinema camera announcement.  That will make M43 more attractive to independent lens makers and hopefully attract even more support from other hardware and software suppliers.  A universal mount standard is taking shape  

Msnap
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Re: Welcome to M43, Kodak
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 25, 2013

Excellent

I'll keep an eye out for shiny new Kodak lenses. I bet they'll make some more affordable options.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ogremage
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?

This is great news, I'm very glad to see another manufacturer with a recognized brand name join the system.

-- hide signature --

blog: http://photographyandtravels.blogspot.co.uk/
flickr: http://ow.ly/eojki
K1000 -> A70 -> K100D -> GF1 -> E-M5
P 20mm + O 9-18mm + O 40-150mm + O 12-50mm

ogremage's gear list:ogremage's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,797Gear list
Like?
I'm affraid that it is really just......
In reply to ogremage, Apr 25, 2013

ogremage wrote:

This is great news, I'm very glad to see another manufacturer with a recognized brand name join the system.

-- hide signature --

a camera made by Olympus for Kodak.

So not really another manufacturer.

Kodak is now just a name like "Vivitar" or "Spiratone"  used to be.

They don't actually make anything.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm affraid that it is really just......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 25, 2013

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

Is it made by Olympus? The kitlens is not the same as the Olympus ones it seems.

A lot of company's don't actually make anything. Like Apple for example.

It's not a real Kodak but most people in this market segment don't know and tan Kodak is a familiar name. It can be a good thing for Olympus and Panasonic. More people to sell lenses.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Husaberg Grok
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
In reply to tedolf, Apr 25, 2013

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

Oh come on! Even when KODAK was a monster corporation they used Canon and Nikon for many elements of their DSLRs. The list of companies that outsource part or all of their product is very long indeed!

Anyway, I welcome another name to the m4/3 table, it will only raise the profile and expand the choices available.

-- hide signature --

Must....Think.....of something......Clever........

nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, Apr 25, 2013

Thorgrem wrote:

tedolf wrote:

ogremage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tedolph

Is it made by Olympus? The kitlens is not the same as the Olympus ones it seems.

A lot of company's don't actually make anything. Like Apple for example.

It's not a real Kodak but most people in this market segment don't know and tan Kodak is a familiar name. It can be a good thing for Olympus and Panasonic. More people to sell lenses.

no, its not made by Olympus, but a new Chinesse company called something like JK Imaging or something like that. They bought the rights to use Kodak name.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

The lens looks really ugly!

http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/368/3680754.html

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

The president of the Taiwan-based Asia Optical said in an interview at P&E2013 in China that:

1. they have R&D facilities in Japan, Taiwan, and mainland China.

2. they will focus on the R&D and manufacturing of "higher end" Kodak cameras (like the S1?), large aperture lens, and ultra long telephoto lens. Their first telephoto lens would be available in 2014.

Well, something like that as I don't speak their language well!

So the S1 will not be exactly cheap, I suppose.

FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?

Wow, the S1 looks like a camera straight out of Star Wars. It should be carried by a Stormtropper.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Lets hope this new Kodak S1 rumour is true.  Sony sensor.  Could it also have s sensor like the OMD one?  I don't think it can afford to get some brand new one designed for just this camera.   Release in Q3!

This could be a very significant, strategically speaking, development, to have another maker of M43 cameras, after the recent Black Magic cinema camera announcement.  That will make M43 more attractive to independent lens makers and hopefully attract even more support from other hardware and software suppliers.  A universal mount standard is taking shape  

Kodak joined with Olympus to form the FourThirds sensor standard, so maybe saying 'welcome' for an offshoot of same sounds a bit strange?

danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?

Well, the more the merrier, I guess.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +12 more
gmac68
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?

Over all if this gives more options that is a good thing.  I just hope they aren't the cheap looking cheap performing cheap quality Kodaks that were produced before.  Their consumer point and shoots were awful by and large IMHO.

AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?

The Kodak Stormtrooper 1. Nice. Presumably the suggested telephoto lens is for taking shots of things far, far away?

I'll stop now...

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more
Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to gmac68, Apr 25, 2013

gmac68 wrote:

Over all if this gives more options that is a good thing.  I just hope they aren't the cheap looking cheap performing cheap quality Kodaks that were produced before.  Their consumer point and shoots were awful by and large IMHO.

There is a need to have cheaper options and therefore it is not entirely bad if this is a line of cheap M43 cameras.  They will catch the P&S upgraders and bring them into M43, where they can have a good continuous upgrade path to the OMD and GH3 etc.  This would also be good for M43, to increase the user base.  I think this is what will happen.

If OTOH, some better cameras than the usual Kodak compacts we have seen in recent years appear, that would also be good for competition within M43 and provide even more choices for us and for potential buyers coming from DSLRs etc.  I would suggest that the Chinese maker will look for niches in the beginning, e.g. a tough waterproof and small M43 camera.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to dinoSnake, Apr 25, 2013

dinoSnake wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Kodak joined with Olympus to form the FourThirds sensor standard, so maybe saying 'welcome' for an offshoot of same sounds a bit strange?

OK, I see. I welcome Kodak or its new owner to actually start making M43 cameras.

Fuji has also joined.  I would welcome Fuji to also make M43 cameras.

Casio?  Pentax/Ricoh, or Sigma too.  These companies have little chance of getting into or being successful in the mirrorless system market, a market which could become very significant in future, as the Stone Age mirror flapping cameras give way to ever more powerful, true digital cameras.  By joining M43, they can have an easy path and assured way to get a foot in, since all the lenses, the most difficult part of any such venture, are already there in M43.  And if more would start making M43 cameras and accessories, this could become BIG.  It could be similar to what happened to the PC industry in the 70s when some tiny "clone" companies like Compaq, AST, Gateway, ... started using the same data base, BIOS, DOS, memory boards...   and the rest was history and we quickly had standards, for power supplies, for ports, accessories and Presto!  affordable computers, and then a huge market and choices, innovation and even more affordable products.  IBM's monopoly was broken.

If more companies do this, they can break the current duopoly of Canikon too. Win-Win-Win. 

Sergey Borachev
Like?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

dinoSnake wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

OK, I see. I welcome Kodak or its new owner to actually start making M43 cameras.

Fuji has also joined.  I would welcome Fuji to also make M43 cameras.

Casio?  Pentax/Ricoh, or Sigma too.  These companies have little chance of getting into or being successful in the mirrorless system market, a market which could become very significant in future, as the Stone Age mirror flapping cameras give way to ever more powerful, true digital cameras.  By joining M43, they can have an easy path and assured way to get a foot in, since all the lenses, the most difficult part of any such venture, are already there in M43.  And if more would start making M43 cameras and accessories, this could become BIG.  It could be similar to what happened to the PC industry in the 70s when some tiny "clone" companies like Compaq, AST, Gateway, ... started using the same data base, BIOS, DOS, memory boards...   and the rest was history and we quickly had standards, for power supplies, for ports, accessories and Presto!  affordable computers, and then a huge market and choices, innovation and even more affordable products.  IBM's monopoly was broken.

If more companies do this, they can break the current duopoly of Canikon too. Win-Win-Win. 

Correction - the same data bus, like ISA, PCI...,  not data base.

IBM does not even make PCs, having sold it to off to a Chinese company as it becomes less and less competitive. Every family has more than a PC and they get continually upgraded, unlike in the 70s when a PC was like - What!  You have a computer at home?!

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
In reply to Msnap, Apr 26, 2013

Msnap wrote:

Excellent

I'll keep an eye out for shiny new Kodak lenses. I bet they'll make some more affordable options.

Lol... so we're going to expect the 7th 14-42 kit lens?
Seriously, why doesn't anyone focus on making affordable constant f4 or f2.8-4 stuff.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 26, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Probably, you did not read camera announcement carefully. This is not M43 camera, this is the camera with 4/3 sensor. I think you understand the difference.

Anyway, I appreciate new evolving brand and new competitor.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102Gear list
Like?
I, for one, welcome our new M43 overlords.
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 26, 2013

Huh, They leaked the storm trooper camera. Will it come with a white helmet that wireless connects to the body so we don't need a VF2 or VF3?

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads