First look at the E-P5

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?
Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to Laszlo13, Apr 27, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

It seems there's quite a bit of interest in the E-P5, but enough for people to considering selling the E-M5 for E-P5?

I admit I'm a sucker for retro styling, and the E-P5 looks alluring.  I was also on the verge of buying the 45mm 1.8.  So:

- If the E-P5 continues to have built in flash as it was in the E-P3

- If the new VF-4 matches the style (i.e. sleek instead of a cyborg design)

- If it's weather sealed

- I hope they bundle the VF-4: basically the camera body with the VF-4 has to be cheaper than the E-M5.  Subsequently, I would assume savings with a 45mm 1.8 kit.

If these pan out, then I'll likely switch.  I actually shoot predominantly with the rear LCD, using the EVF only in very bright light.  A sleeker body would be very interesting to me.

I would never switch, because the E-P5 is supposed to have no build-in view finder. It would be only considerable as a secondary body, if there is a size benefit to the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Like?
Re: First look at the E-P5
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 27, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

I'll wait and see in a couple of weeks how accurate the rumor is. Since it is so close, it’s not worth discussing.

Actually, I'll go further. Very nice looking retro cam (designed without looking fake like the EM5) but if there's no built-in EVF it looks like it'll be good-bye Oly, it’s been nice to know you.

Cheers, geoff

What's fake with the E-M5? The hump contains the view finder, so no fake. The hump means lower shoulders, which leads to a more compact design. See the comparison between E-M5 and Fuji X- E1/Pro 1 at camerasize.com.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
tgutgu
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 27, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

andyrox wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

I'll wait and see in a couple of weeks how accurate the rumor is. Since it is so close, it’s not worth discussing.

Actually, I'll go further. Very nice looking retro cam (designed without looking fake like the EM5) but if there's no built-in EVF it looks like it'll be good-bye Oly, it’s been nice to know you.

If it had and EVF I'd be on the preorder list as soon as it was available.  With no EVF the Fujifilm X-E1 is still in my shopping cart.

I wonder why Oly don't go for the built-in EVF like Nex6/7 or X-E1?

Exactly. Unless there is  something really radical to the notion of a new accessory EVF that makes sense, and the price of the package is within reason, and the IBIS is the same as the EM5 (I would love that; I've seen on this forum so many justifications of the faux pentaprism housing of the EM5

Easy answer: there are so many justifications because it is  justified. DSLR shape does not mean that it is bad, because the camera is mirrorless. The view finder simply needs space above the LCD.

which seem ridiculous), and …

Then I will be heading G6-wards.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Thomas

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,091Gear list
Like?
Re: 3 years ago...
In reply to sderdiarian, Apr 27, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

andyrox wrote:

I wonder why Oly don't go for the built-in EVF like Nex6/7 or X-E1?

The NEX 6 sells for $899 with a 2.3M dot OLED viewfinder, peaking AF display, 3" tilt LCD and 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 retractable power zoom lens.   I'm not a Sony fan (own an E-M5), but a compelling featureset for the price in a rangefinder style body.

Given the lack of an EVF, the only new things the E-P5 may bring to the party would be 5-axis IBIS and perhaps weathersealing (my guess, unlikely).  Based on the E-P3's intro price of $899 with a pedestrian kit zoom, Olympus will likely price it with same at a similar price.

Seems pretty much a boutique camera to me, but maybe they have something up their sleeve, who knows.
--
Sailin' Steve

The E-P2 was sold for $1100 with the 14-42 and the VF2.

The E-P5 should be introduced at the same price point, including the 17/1.8 and the VF3. If it's priced any higher, then no 5 axis or weather sealing would rescue it.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

I think it could sell in XE-1 numbers if it has weathersealing and 5-axis IBIS for a body-only price of $899, $999 adding in a kit lens and $1199 adding in an improved EVF.

Weather sealing is highly improbable (neither 14-42 not 17/1.8 are weather sealed). $1200 for basically what you can get for $1000 (or now $900) in NEX-6, only longer non-PZ lens and inconvenient hump? Too much.

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to Laszlo13, Apr 27, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

It seems there's quite a bit of interest in the E-P5, but enough for people to considering selling the E-M5 for E-P5?

I admit I'm a sucker for retro styling, and the E-P5 looks alluring.  I was also on the verge of buying the 45mm 1.8.  So:

- If the E-P5 continues to have built in flash as it was in the E-P3

- If the new VF-4 matches the style (i.e. sleek instead of a cyborg design)

- If it's weather sealed

- I hope they bundle the VF-4: basically the camera body with the VF-4 has to be cheaper than the E-M5.  Subsequently, I would assume savings with a 45mm 1.8 kit.

If these pan out, then I'll likely switch.  I actually shoot predominantly with the rear LCD, using the EVF only in very bright light.  A sleeker body would be very interesting to me.

Not even the least tempted. First off, my E-M5 has a built in EVF, which probably won't be as good as the new VF4...but it is generally "good enough". Everything else about my E-M5 is at least as good or "good enough" and one or two things better, like probably more controls (maybe not, we'll see), probably no weather sealing on the E-P5 and the ability to both use the EVF AND a flash at the same time (I don't use a flash often, but when I do, I want to still be able to use my EVF).

I also like the looks more, but that is less important. I will deffinitely consider the E-P5 though either as a replacement for my wife's E-PL1 in a year or two once the price has dropped a lot, or as a backup camera to my E-M5 at some point a year or two down the road. Though at that point I might be trying to gin up the money to sell my E-M5 to get a used/discounted E-M6 or E-M7 depending on timing.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?
Re: YES! Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to highwave, Apr 27, 2013

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

I LOVE my E-M5, but don't use the viewfinder all that much. Really miss being able to put my E-P1 with 20mm pancake in a large pant or jacket pocket.

Same exact thing here. Basically I read everywhere that a camera without a viewfinder just isn't worth it. For that reason I decided to go for the OM-D and see if this claimed must viewfinder is really worth the portability  penalty.

So far I struggle to see why a viewfinder is a must. Sure I use it in case of extremely bright light (sun right straight behind you), or when tracking motion, or when using a very long focal length. But still overall I can't see where this "must" claim is coming from.  I would say a tilting LCD screen is a way bigger must than a viewfinder as I find myself using that more often than the viewfinder.

This E-P5 will definitely be more pocketable than the OM-D. That's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a VF and find them useful. just on MFT for my personal style of use I think an optional add on will work best. I only use the VF on the E-M5 maybe 20% of the time, but I DO use it. If I swapped back to a non VF model, and especially if the new add on EVF is of higher quality then the E-M5's VFs now, I will want the add on. 
     But MFT is not my only system either. I rarely use Live View on my D800e or D300, those optical viewfinders are SO much bigger and clearer than the E-M5s EVF. I find it hard to judge critical sharpness, focus, and tonalities on the EM-5 EVF and have better luck using the LCD. So it depends on what and how I'm shooting, and the quality of the VF/LCD available. There is no ONE answer to this debate for everyone. 
     It's funny too, because when I first got the E-P1, my first camera with no VF, it took months before I stopped instinctively holding the thing up to my eye!!! It was embarrassing!  LOL!
     If MFT was my only camera and the EVF resolution was better I might find it worth it to have the VF built on. But since for me MFT is my "portable, on the go, carry around at all times" system AND because an add on EVF is available, I think I might prefer a not built in >IF< it adds bulk and a large snag to the body shape. If they could fit one in a PEN without making it much bigger or adding a large snag prone lump, still have a pop up flash, that would be best of both worlds!!!

dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-P5
dylanear
Like?
In reply to dylanear, Apr 27, 2013

dylanear wrote:

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

I LOVE my E-M5, but don't use the viewfinder all that much. Really miss being able to put my E-P1 with 20mm pancake in a large pant or jacket pocket.

Same exact thing here. Basically I read everywhere that a camera without a viewfinder just isn't worth it. For that reason I decided to go for the OM-D and see if this claimed must viewfinder is really worth the portability  penalty.

So far I struggle to see why a viewfinder is a must. Sure I use it in case of extremely bright light (sun right straight behind you), or when tracking motion, or when using a very long focal length. But still overall I can't see where this "must" claim is coming from.  I would say a tilting LCD screen is a way bigger must than a viewfinder as I find myself using that more often than the viewfinder.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a VF and find them useful. just on MFT for my personal style of use I think an optional add on will work best. I only use the VF on the E-M5 maybe 20% of the time, but I DO use it. If I swapped back to a non VF model, and especially if the new add on EVF is of higher quality then the E-M5's VFs now, I will want the add on. 
     But MFT is not my only system either. I rarely use Live View on my D800e or D300, those optical viewfinders are SO much bigger and clearer than the E-M5s EVF. I find it hard to judge critical sharpness, focus, and tonalities on the EM-5 EVF and have better luck using the LCD. So it depends on what and how I'm shooting, and the quality of the VF/LCD available. There is no ONE answer to this debate for everyone. 
     It's funny too, because when I first got the E-P1, my first camera with no VF, it took months before I stopped instinctively holding the thing up to my eye!!! It was embarrassing!  LOL!
     If MFT was my only camera and the EVF resolution was better I might find it worth it to have the VF built on. But since for me MFT is my "portable, on the go, carry around at all times" system AND because an add on EVF is available, I think I might prefer a not built in >IF< it adds bulk and a large snag to the body shape. If they could fit one in a PEN without making it much bigger or adding a large snag prone lump, still have a pop up flash, that would be best of both worlds!!!

When did DPR start automatically editing white space?? And how did you get proper paragraph formatting, Highwave??? I hate that on FB and now it's catching at other sites?! Boo!!!! What's next? Forced spell check? Mods approving all posts before they appear??

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to Acrill, Apr 27, 2013

Acrill wrote:

jrg wrote:

Quite steep why?

It is still a rumor, but the rumor is $999

If this price includes the 17mm 1.8 as a kit lens then I take it all back, the price is great.

That's pocket money in camera terms.

No VF makes it a no go for me though.

highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

I think I partially take back my comment on the lack of need for EVF. Today there was a skateboard competition and there was a lot of action and flying skateboards (and people!) all over the place and it sure helped to have that EVF to track motion better. The lightning fast autofocus and the 9 frames/second were also just amazing. I managed to burst mode an accident while it was happening. Caught every bit of it.

You just gotta love the OM-D

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
highwave
Like?

dylanear wrote:

highwave wrote:

Never had the chance to look into those so called "bright" full frame VF. I really want to. So I can see what people are talking about when they complement them. A lot do complement them. I had a huge dislike for Optical View finders. That's why I stayed away from SLRs until mirrorless came along. But having said that I never tried FF OVF. Maybe I would have liked that.

I think there is a certain degree of "legacy" preference here. People who use to shoot through VFs feel more the need for it. While people who started out in the digital world using only LCD are less inclined to to use VFs.

I would roughly say I use EVF/LCD at a rate of 30/70.  EVF for bright light, action, saving battery, and long zooms. LCD for odd composition angles, touchscreen focusing, and all general hots.

I can't say the E-P5 us good without the EVF. Even the add on will make it big and defeat the purpose. I wish they did something more inline with the Sony NEX6 and Fuji X-E1. My wallet will be happy. I'll just wait until they decide to come up with those formats. Until then, the OM-D is a champion like it impressed me so deeply today.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
highwave
Like?

dylanear wrote:

When did DPR start automatically editing white space?? And how did you get proper paragraph formatting, Highwave??? I hate that on FB and now it's catching at other sites?! Boo!!!! What's next? Forced spell check? Mods approving all posts before they appear??

No idea. All I do is type normally and it works fine. Maybe you're using Mac operating system? or slates and pads? Those things act up on me. But never a normal PC. And I'm running windows 8 which is fine.

photodan1
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?

dylanear wrote:

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

I have an epm2 and really like it. The one issue for me with the Pens, however, is in using flash. With a larger speed light on a pen you give up the ability to use the vf. I like the idea of the built in flash that can be used as a controller. I actually prefer to use the touchscreen to focus and shoot, but on a really bright day here in Tennessee,  the LCD is really a crapshoot. Another issue is with using wireless triggers outside on a bright day.

-- hide signature --

G3, E-PM2, E-PM1, 45 Oly, 17 1.8 Oly, 14-42 RII, 14-42 Pany, 40-150 Oly, Metz 50-AF
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/dankanephotography/

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
dylanear
Like?

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

No idea. All I do is type normally and it works fine. Maybe you're using Mac operating system? or slates and pads? Those things act up on me. But never a normal PC. And I'm running windows 8 which is fine.

Windows 7, Chrome browser as I've used for years. Hmmm???
I do use Android tablets, phones. Can try Firefox or IE and see if there's a difference. 
No big worries, and I'm off topic I suppose.

alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,569Gear list
Like?
In reply to Acrill, Apr 27, 2013

I will probably stick with the EPL-5. My camera aspirations are delayed by a dying refrigerator, and worn CV joints on my car.

Al

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,717Gear list
Like?
No EVF. Panny hss managed an EVF in its Lf1
In reply to Acrill, Apr 28, 2013

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/24/Panasonic-announces-lumix-dmc-lf1-enthusiast-compact-with-evf-as-sister-model-to-lx7#press

Guess what a GX2 will have?

And the E-P5 will be left sucking dust.

Love the notion of the E-P5 with the 5 way IBIS. Now -- let's hear it again from all those know  nothings who insided the far too big hump was needed to house the IBIS!!!

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Hen3ry
Like?
In reply to MPA1, Apr 28, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

Acrill wrote:

jrg wrote:

Quite steep why?

It is still a rumor, but the rumor is $999

If this price includes the 17mm 1.8 as a kit lens then I take it all back, the price is great.

That's pocket money in camera terms.

No VF makes it a no go for me though.

$999 is definitely not pocket money for me nor is it in general camera terms.

Agree with you on the lack if EVF though.

Cheers, geoff

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Hen3ry
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, Apr 28, 2013

tgutgu wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

What's fake with the E-M5? The hump contains the view finder, so no fake. The hump means lower shoulders, which leads to a more compact design. See the comparison between E-M5 and Fuji X- E1/Pro 1 at camerasize.com.

Thomas - the hump is fake -- it imitates a pentaprism. I could have been much lower. The camera is more compact because it has lower shoulders? Come off the grass, mate - it is lesscompact  because it has the ruddy great hump! 

Other cameras have an EVF and no hump or a much lower hump. Check the Sony.

Cheers, geoff

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
In reply to highwave, Apr 29, 2013

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

...gotta stop listening to the one eye is better than two crowd

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
RedDog Steve
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: No EVF. Panny hss managed an EVF in its Lf1
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 30, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/24/Panasonic-announces-lumix-dmc-lf1-enthusiast-compact-with-evf-as-sister-model-to-lx7#press

Guess what a GX2 will have?

And the E-P5 will be left sucking dust.

Love the notion of the E-P5 with the 5 way IBIS. Now -- let's hear it again from all those know  nothings who insided the far too big hump was needed to house the IBIS!!!

The evf in the LF1 is quite low resolution.
Probably not real useful for manual focusing.

Nice idea though, integrated nicely without excessive bulge.
Certainly the way of the future.

rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads