sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,284Gear list
Like?
Re: 3 years ago...
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Apr 26, 2013

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

andyrox wrote:

I wonder why Oly don't go for the built-in EVF like Nex6/7 or X-E1?

The NEX 6 sells for $899 with a 2.3M dot OLED viewfinder, peaking AF display, 3" tilt LCD and 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 retractable power zoom lens.   I'm not a Sony fan (own an E-M5), but a compelling featureset for the price in a rangefinder style body.

Given the lack of an EVF, the only new things the E-P5 may bring to the party would be 5-axis IBIS and perhaps weathersealing (my guess, unlikely).  Based on the E-P3's intro price of $899 with a pedestrian kit zoom, Olympus will likely price it with same at a similar price.

Seems pretty much a boutique camera to me, but maybe they have something up their sleeve, who knows.
--
Sailin' Steve

The E-P2 was sold for $1100 with the 14-42 and the VF2.

The E-P5 should be introduced at the same price point, including the 17/1.8 and the VF3. If it's priced any higher, then no 5 axis or weather sealing would rescue it.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

I think it could sell in XE-1 numbers if it has weathersealing and 5-axis IBIS for a body-only price of $899, $999 adding in a kit lens and $1199 adding in an improved EVF.  Then it becomes comparable to an E-M5 in features with additional flexibility given the removable EVF.

Based on its styling, which is quite nice, I think they have their eyes set on the XE-1 that sells for $999 body-only with a built-in EVF, but has no IBIS, weathersealing or tilt LCD.  It can play in that league quite nicely.  Kind of a bargain boutique camera (as compared to a Leica).

Having an E-M5, I'd have no interest (I'd first pick up an E-PL5 as a spare body), but could see others really liking it.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,431Gear list
Like?
Re: 3 years ago...
In reply to sderdiarian, Apr 26, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

I think it could sell in XE-1 numbers if it has weathersealing and 5-axis IBIS

Highly doubt it will have either feature.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Re: First look at the E-P5
In reply to Acrill, Apr 26, 2013

So that is interesting. 4/3 rumors is posting that the E-P5 will deffinitely not have a built in EVF, the external EVF will be call the VF4 and will be the 2.36mdot Epson one displayed earlier. Also it WILL have the OM-D E-M5 5-axis IBIS...but it will be improved. Otherwise same sensor and Venus engine that the OM-D E-M5 has (also Wifi).

The E-P5 just got my attention. Bummed about no in-built EVF...but especially depending on the screen quality, at some point the E-P5 sounds like the perfect backup camera for me.

It also is a nice hint to what the next OM-D will likely be packing. At a guess the new EVF, I can only assume this "improved" 5-axis IBIS that is in the E-P5 (or maybe improved even more???), I can't imagine they won't add Wifi also. Other things??? No idea, but since the announcement of the OM-D E-M6 is at least 6 months away probably (or a little more), I can only imagine Olympus is cooking up at least a few extra improvements. Maybe bigger buffer or improved Venus engine? I doubt they'd go to a new sensor yet. Maybe ISO100 and/or 1/8000s shutter? Though I kind of suspect those will only see the light of day in a "pro" m4/3 body from Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,431Gear list
Like?
In reply to azazel1024, Apr 26, 2013

azazel1024 wrote:

Otherwise same sensor and Venus engine that the OM-D E-M5 has (also Wifi).

Venus is the Panasonic engine. Truepic is Olympus.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Pyramides
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

Acrill wrote:

Uncle Frank wrote:

I'm rooting for a tilt lcd, like the one in the em5.

The E-PL5 already has this.

I'm having a hard time imagining what features(costing hundreds of dollars) can distinguish the EP5 from the P5L and PM2

5-axis IBIS like the OM-D?

-- hide signature --

Francisco

Pyramides's gear list:Pyramides's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
azazel1024
Like?
In reply to Pyramides, Apr 26, 2013

Pyramides wrote:

Acrill wrote:

Uncle Frank wrote:

I'm having a hard time imagining what features(costing hundreds of dollars) can distinguish the EP5 from the P5L and PM2

-- hide signature --

Francisco

That is the rumor, that it is getting an improved version of the OM-D E-M5 IBIS.

For the engine...yeah, I should have realized that. I assume a typo/oversite 4/3 rumors.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
In reply to azazel1024, Apr 26, 2013

azazel1024 wrote:

Pyramides wrote:

Acrill wrote:

Uncle Frank wrote:

-- hide signature --

Francisco

That is the rumor, that it is getting an improved version of the OM-D E-M5 IBIS.

For the engine...yeah, I should have realized that. I assume a typo/oversite 4/3 rumors.

-- hide signature --

If the IBIS is actually improved, well, then, wow. The OMD's IBIS is already the best I've ever used.

azazel1024
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, Apr 26, 2013

tjuster1 wrote:

azazel1024 wrote:

Pyramides wrote:

Acrill wrote:

Uncle Frank wrote:

-- hide signature --

Francisco

-- hide signature --

If the IBIS is actually improved, well, then, wow. The OMD's IBIS is already the best I've ever used.

That was my thought as well, "They can make it better!?!?!"

I am vastly over spoiled by my OM-D E-M5 IBIS. The thought that it could be in anyway improved kind of blows my mind. Though we have no way of knowing what "improved" actually means. Maybe this time around it is silent? Or maybe there is more rise/fall/tilt available for stabalization...but it doesn't actually impact handholdability, just how much it can be moved before the sensor has to recenter or something.

That said...if someone is claiming improved, I assume that means you could probably handhold at slightly slower shutter speeds.

I can already do 1/2s at 12/14mm most of the time if I am a little careful. What next? 1s? 1/4s at 25mm?

-- hide signature --

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?

It seems there's quite a bit of interest in the E-P5, but enough for people to considering selling the E-M5 for E-P5?

I admit I'm a sucker for retro styling, and the E-P5 looks alluring.  I was also on the verge of buying the 45mm 1.8.  So:

- If the E-P5 continues to have built in flash as it was in the E-P3

- If the new VF-4 matches the style (i.e. sleek instead of a cyborg design)

- If it's weather sealed

- I hope they bundle the VF-4: basically the camera body with the VF-4 has to be cheaper than the E-M5.  Subsequently, I would assume savings with a 45mm 1.8 kit.

If these pan out, then I'll likely switch.  I actually shoot predominantly with the rear LCD, using the EVF only in very bright light.  A sleeker body would be very interesting to me.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,994Gear list
Like?
Damn! That is a good looking camera.....

although I put a black leatherette skin on my E-pl1 and it improved the looks (and grip)  by about 100%.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,520Gear list
Like?
YES! Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to Laszlo13, Apr 27, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

It seems there's quite a bit of interest in the E-P5, but enough for people to considering selling the E-M5 for E-P5?

I LOVE my E-M5, but don't use the viewfinder all that much. Really miss being able to put my E-P1 with 20mm pancake in a large pant or jacket pocket.
I have thought lately about getting one of the good E-P3 values around.

But the E-P5 has the fantastic 16mp sensor, the awesome IBIS, I can retire my clunky Eye-Fi card, has built in flash for night time social pics, FRONT command dial (yay!!) Cleaner, even more vintage retro styling. It's still not as pretty as a the Fuji X cams, nor has the awesome manual controls of the Fujis, but the Fujis are a bit too big and APS-C scale lenses are too big for my portable use, they lack IBIS and there just isn't the fantastic range and value of lenses that MFT has.
I think this a GREAT new PEN. I should wait to see the real deal to be sure, but I'll say if this turns out like it looks like it will?? I say WELL DONE OLYMPUS!! And will certainly consider trading in my E-M5 or selling some Nikon lenses to get the new E-P5. Now if it has a new, higher rez VF on the back that doesn't stick up like the E-M5? I WILL be selling the EM-5.

dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-P5
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Re: YES! Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to dylanear, Apr 27, 2013

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

I LOVE my E-M5, but don't use the viewfinder all that much. Really miss being able to put my E-P1 with 20mm pancake in a large pant or jacket pocket.

Same exact thing here. Basically I read everywhere that a camera without a viewfinder just isn't worth it. For that reason I decided to go for the OM-D and see if this claimed must viewfinder is really worth the portability  penalty.

So far I struggle to see why a viewfinder is a must. Sure I use it in case of extremely bright light (sun right straight behind you), or when tracking motion, or when using a very long focal length. But still overall I can't see where this "must" claim is coming from.  I would say a tilting LCD screen is a way bigger must than a viewfinder as I find myself using that more often than the viewfinder.

This E-P5 will definitely be more pocketable than the OM-D. That's for sure.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
declan79
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
In reply to Acrill, Apr 27, 2013

first impression is very good, it did impressed me and made me consider to replace my pl2....the 5ibis+same sensor, now waiting for the price

declan79's gear list:declan79's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Samsung NX300 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Apple iPhone 5 +8 more
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
In reply to highwave, Apr 27, 2013

A viewfinder is useful if your LCD breaks...that's about it.

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com

originalhype
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, Apr 27, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

A viewfinder is useful if your LCD breaks...that's about it.

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com

Oh really? Try taking a picture in the beach.

What about in the snow when the sun is at noon?

Ever been in los angeles, ca in the summer time?

IN B4 M43 user defends their ish...

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Shelf-space, price-points and choice?
In reply to 4thnebula, Apr 27, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

I still find this confusing.  The E-P5 design looks good to me though without an articulating LCD it would not be very useful to me.

So, why a E-P5 and E-PL6 having such similar IQ etc.  Why not just an E-PL6.  What is in the E-P5 design that would make one pick that over the E-PL6?

I spend a lot of time in Asian Malls and the Olympus display cases are always smaller than Sony, Panasonic and Nikon mirrorless.

Nikon is usually padded with different colours (including matching lenses) and different kit options. Panasonic and Sony usually show loads of models. It's not uncommon to see 10 display cameras on their stands by combing models, lens kits and colours.

Olympus usually has a case with three shelves; OM-D a a few lenses on the top shelf, Accessories middle shelf and Pens bottom shelf. Rarely more than 4 cameras and the vertical layout makes it look like a much smaller (perhaps niche) range.

Personally I applaud Olympus for not forcing the customer to choose on sensor quality. It's a horrible choice to have to make, and for many here (myself included) m4/3 only really became fully viable with the excellent IQ enhancements of the OM-D. It really can't afford the luxury of differentiating on sensor quality.

If Olympus are boosting the range based on form factor and features, but with each model having the best available m43 IQ, thats's great for us as we get to choose the camera with all the features we really want without having to compromise IQ. A much better choice than Panasonic's bizarre sensor strategy. I can understanding them having a special sensor for top video, but everything else should have the best possible stills IQ, like Oly now seem to be doing.

-Najinsky

originalhype
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: Shelf-space, price-points and choice?
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 27, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

I still find this confusing.  The E-P5 design looks good to me though without an articulating LCD it would not be very useful to me.

So, why a E-P5 and E-PL6 having such similar IQ etc.  Why not just an E-PL6.  What is in the E-P5 design that would make one pick that over the E-PL6?

I spend a lot of time in Asian Malls and the Olympus display cases are always smaller than Sony, Panasonic and Nikon mirrorless.

Nikon is usually padded with different colours (including matching lenses) and different kit options. Panasonic and Sony usually show loads of models. It's not uncommon to see 10 display cameras on their stands by combing models, lens kits and colours.

Olympus usually has a case with three shelves; OM-D a a few lenses on the top shelf, Accessories middle shelf and Pens bottom shelf. Rarely more than 4 cameras and the vertical layout makes it look like a much smaller (perhaps niche) range.

Personally I applaud Olympus for not forcing the customer to choose on sensor quality. It's a horrible choice to have to make, and for many here (myself included) m4/3 only really became fully viable with the excellent IQ enhancements of the OM-D. It really can't afford the luxury of differentiating on sensor quality.

If Olympus are boosting the range based on form factor and features, but with each model having the best available m43 IQ, thats's great for us as we get to choose the camera with all the features we really want without having to compromise IQ. A much better choice than Panasonic's bizarre sensor strategy. I can understanding them having a special sensor for top video, but everything else should have the best possible stills IQ, like Oly now seem to be doing.

-Najinsky

This does not make sense.

E-pm1, e-pl5, e-p5 AND omd ALL USES THE SAME SIZE SENSOR.

e-PL5 and E-P5 has no built in VF. Only different the two will have is probably Tilt screen and flash. Also rumor 5 axis stabilization but there nothing to differentiate the two. If you ask normal consumer based on features alone in HARDWARE terms, there is nothing to differentiate.

Both oly and panasonic is basically putting the m43 format down if they keep at this rate.

in b4 m43 defends their gear.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Shelf-space, price-points and choice?
In reply to originalhype, Apr 27, 2013

originalhype wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

-Najinsky

This does not make sense.

E-pm1, e-pl5, e-p5 AND omd ALL USES THE SAME SIZE SENSOR.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say, or why you are shouting.

E-PM1 is old technology 12MP sensor, now replaced by the E-PM2 with new 16MP sensor.

On 11th May, the final remaining old technology sensor, the E-P3, will be replaced with the E-P5. The E-PL5 may also get updated, but that is already new technology sensor. So the range will be:

• OM-D: SLR style shooting experience with built in finder, large grip, optional battery grip.
  • E-P5: Rangefinder style shooting using live-view and optional finder.
  • E-PL5/6: Compact version of the 'P' for extra portability
  • E-PM2: Most compact budget version, sacrificing the flip screen and controls.

So all will use the same high quality sensor yet appeal to different users based on their feature set/cost. Not hard to understand.

Further, by updating the E-PL5, creating an E-PL6 with additional features, the E-PL5 could continue to be sold along side the rest of the range, creating in effect a 5th model that is still using current technology.

-Najinsky

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418Gear list
Like?
In reply to originalhype, Apr 27, 2013

Using the viewfinder makes for a more stable shooting stance.

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Command dial around shutter button..
In reply to digifan, Apr 27, 2013

digifan wrote:

I see a command dial on the front, does it mean the dial around the 4 way controller is gone? I hope the virtical dial at the back is still there.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

I hope that the dial around the 4-way-controller is either gone or larger and better to operate. The control layout of the PENs was one of the reasons, (plus the absence of a build-in view finder), I never considered buying them. One of the worst control layouts in mirrorless system cameras.

I hope that the camera has a well implemented thumb wheel, good positioned AE-L button, and an external view finder, that does not stick out as much as the previous ones. It also should have an eye sensor.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads