First look at the E-P5

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Uncle Frank
Forum ProPosts: 21,486Gear list
Like?
Re: First look at the E-P5
In reply to Acrill, Apr 25, 2013

Very pretty front side, but all of the secret sauce is on the back.  I'm rooting for a tilt lcd, like the one in the em5.

It's rumored they'll introduce a new evf, with an integrated flash... the VF3 .

I'm all set for lenses, so I'm hoping they'll be a body-only option.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

Uncle Frank's gear list:Uncle Frank's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-P5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
In reply to Uncle Frank, Apr 25, 2013

Uncle Frank wrote:

Very pretty front side, but all of the secret sauce is on the back.  I'm rooting for a tilt lcd, like the one in the em5.

It's rumored they'll introduce a new evf, with an integrated flash... the VF3 .

I'm all set for lenses, so I'm hoping they'll be a body-only option.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

VF3 with an integrated flash?

That would be quite challenging in design!

Couldn't wait to check it out!

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?

I can't imagine that the VF-2 won't work on it. I am sure there is a new view finder coming because Oly is going to have an upgraded VF-3 using the new Epson panels that were announced a few months back. That means more likely than not we'll see a roughly 2mp VF-3 and that is also likely to be the same panel that makes it's way in to the OM-D E-M6 this fall (if the rumors for its announcement hold).

Maybe the VF-3 will be slightly smaller dimensions also (not the panel size, but the other bits of it)?

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743Gear list
Like?
Why a E-P5 and an E-PL6?

I still find this confusing.  The E-P5 design looks good to me though without an articulating LCD it would not be very useful to me.

So, why a E-P5 and E-PL6 having such similar IQ etc.  Why not just an E-PL6.  What is in the E-P5 design that would make one pick that over the E-PL6?

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EOS 6D +9 more
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,742Gear list
Like?
Re: Why a E-P5 and an E-PL6?
In reply to 4thnebula, Apr 25, 2013

For the E-P3 vs. the E-PL3, the reasons where the better LCD, touchscreen, more button controls and built-in flash. It was prettier too.
It's still early, but it looks like the same applies to the E-P5 vs. E-PL6, save for the touchscreen.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to 4thnebula, Apr 25, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

I still find this confusing.  The E-P5 design looks good to me though without an articulating LCD it would not be very useful to me.

So, why a E-P5 and E-PL6 having such similar IQ etc.  Why not just an E-PL6.  What is in the E-P5 design that would make one pick that over the E-PL6?

I guess we will have to wait fr more leaks are the actual anouncements.  I still find it difficult to see how the upcoming  E-PL6 and E-P5 and the existing cameras like the E-M5 differentiate themselves from each other.  No real leaks for the E-PL6 yet, except that it will be a minor upgrade.  Maybe it gets wifi or maybe the new optional EVF needs a new accessory port and the E-PL6 gets the new accessory port.  Basically all we know about the E-P5 is that it looks almost like the E-P3, it has a control dial around the shutter button, it has wifi, it AF faster, and that it does not have an built-in evf but does take the new optional evf.

So I am guessing there will be a lot more leaks in the coming two weeks.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,902
Like?
In reply to bluevellet, Apr 25, 2013

Time to merge these two cameras.

With the OMD sitting at $999 I can't think why anyone would want to pay more for the kudge of a solution an optional VF offers.

Put the two dials on the EPL series and end the EP series.
The EP's are too expensive for what they are, and don't offer any different functionality from the OMD.

Douglas Brown

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug Brown, Apr 25, 2013

Doug Brown wrote:

Time to merge these two cameras.

With the OMD sitting at $999 I can't think why anyone would want to pay more for the kudge of a solution an optional VF offers.

Put the two dials on the EPL series and end the EP series.
The EP's are too expensive for what they are, and don't offer any different functionality from the OMD.

Douglas Brown

I totally agree with you based on the limited leaks we have concerning the upcoming E-P5.  I was really hoping for a built-in EVF, but just maybe Olympus will had enough other stuff to make it different enough to fit between the E-PL6 and the E-M5.  Faster AF is a nice plus and WIFI could be nice for some people.  Still not enough but there could be more.

Right now it makes me a little excited about the E-M6.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Goob13
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?

Beautiful camera, until you stick an EVF on top, then you're back in 'old humpy's' neighborhood. Why no new sensor? Old(er) technology with a high price tag seems like a missed opportunity.

Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,445Gear list
Like?
In reply to andyrox, Apr 25, 2013

andyrox wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

I'll wait and see in a couple of weeks how accurate the rumor is. Since it is so close, it’s not worth discussing.

Actually, I'll go further. Very nice looking retro cam (designed without looking fake like the EM5) but if there's no built-in EVF it looks like it'll be good-bye Oly, it’s been nice to know you.

If it had and EVF I'd be on the preorder list as soon as it was available.  With no EVF the Fujifilm X-E1 is still in my shopping cart.

I wonder why Oly don't go for the built-in EVF like Nex6/7 or X-E1?

Exactly. Unless there is  something really radical to the notion of a new accessory EVF that makes sense, and the price of the package is within reason, and the IBIS is the same as the EM5 (I would love that; I've seen on this forum so many justifications of the faux pentaprism housing of the EM5 which seem ridiculous), and …

Then I will be heading G6-wards.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,445Gear list
Like?
In reply to Goob13, Apr 25, 2013

Goob13 wrote:

Beautiful camera, until you stick an EVF on top, then you're back in 'old humpy's' neighborhood.

Yep. Maybe it will fit on the end!

Why no new sensor? Old(er) technology with a high price tag seems like a missed opportunity.

Say what? The current Oly sensor is the best in the world and you want a new one? Come on, Gooby, be reasonable!

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to Uncle Frank, Apr 25, 2013

Uncle Frank wrote:

I'm rooting for a tilt lcd, like the one in the em5.

The E-PL5 already has this.

I'm having a hard time imagining what features(costing hundreds of dollars) can distinguish the EP5 from the P5L and PM2

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,754Gear list
Like?
In reply to Swamp Duck, Apr 25, 2013

With that lens all you'd need is a 35mm OVF and you are set.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Acrill
Like?
In reply to alfredo_tomato, Apr 25, 2013

alfredo_tomato wrote:

With that lens all you'd need is a 35mm OVF and you are set.

True, but this is true for any PEN.

And maybe that is the main value proposition of this camera - the 17mm 1.8 kit lens. If the price is calculated correctly it may be cheaper to by this camera as a kit than to buy the 17mm and an EPM2 or EPL5 separately.

Acrill
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 25, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Unless there is  something really radical to the notion of a new accessory EVF that makes sense

I suspect it will simply be a higher-spec viewfinder, nothing radical. Maybe the new Epson that has been in the news?

It will almost certainly carry a higher price tag than the VF2 or VF3.

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,758Gear list
Like?
consider PDAF
In reply to Acrill, Apr 26, 2013

Faster autofocus? Think PDAF like Nikon 1. Think consumer testbed for standard 4/3 lenses.

Wishful thinking? Probably.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,644
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, Apr 26, 2013

It's a handsome thing, just based on this one view, perhaps a bit of Fuji dna grafted to the traditional design. It seems more purposeful, more '60s rangefinderish.

And yes, i'm having difficulty figuring where it fits within the Pen/OMD universe at an ambitious pricepoint. $750 and I get it; $1000 and I don't. However, if it brings some new capabilities to the table, then we can talk. Otherwise I wish them well and await son-of-E-M5.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
In reply to andyrox, Apr 26, 2013

andyrox wrote:

The NEX 6 sells for $899 with a 2.3M dot OLED viewfinder, peaking AF display, 3" tilt LCD and 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 retractable power zoom lens.   I'm not a Sony fan (own an E-M5), but a compelling featureset for the price in a rangefinder style body.

Given the lack of an EVF, the only new things the E-P5 may bring to the party would be 5-axis IBIS and perhaps weathersealing (my guess, unlikely).  Based on the E-P3's intro price of $899 with a pedestrian kit zoom, Olympus will likely price it with same at a similar price.

Seems pretty much a boutique camera to me, but maybe they have something up their sleeve, who knows.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,953
Like?
3 years ago...
In reply to sderdiarian, Apr 26, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

andyrox wrote:

The NEX 6 sells for $899 with a 2.3M dot OLED viewfinder, peaking AF display, 3" tilt LCD and 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 retractable power zoom lens.   I'm not a Sony fan (own an E-M5), but a compelling featureset for the price in a rangefinder style body.

Given the lack of an EVF, the only new things the E-P5 may bring to the party would be 5-axis IBIS and perhaps weathersealing (my guess, unlikely).  Based on the E-P3's intro price of $899 with a pedestrian kit zoom, Olympus will likely price it with same at a similar price.

Seems pretty much a boutique camera to me, but maybe they have something up their sleeve, who knows.
--
Sailin' Steve

The E-P2 was sold for $1100 with the 14-42 and the VF2.

The E-P5 should be introduced at the same price point, including the 17/1.8 and the VF3. If it's priced any higher, then no 5 axis or weather sealing would rescue it.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,998Gear list
Like?
In reply to Goob13, Apr 26, 2013

Goob13 wrote:

Beautiful camera, until you stick an EVF on top, then you're back in 'old humpy's' neighborhood. Why no new sensor? Old(er) technology with a high price tag seems like a missed opportunity.

Disagree!

It looks like old (circa 1950) rangefinder. I do not see any beauty, camera looks like a cheap kid's toy. Humpy looks quite modern even today.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads