Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
First look at the E-P5
Apr 25, 2013

From 43 rumors:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-of-the-new-olympus-e-p5/#comments

The design looks great.

It remains to be seen what feature will distinguish this camera from the other current PEN models, and the price is rumored to be quite steep.

Shame it does not include a viewfinder.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrg
jrg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834Gear list
Like?
Re: First look at the E-P5
In reply to Acrill, Apr 25, 2013

Acrill wrote:

From 43 rumors:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-of-the-new-olympus-e-p5/#comments

The design looks great.

and the price is rumored to be quite steep.

Quite steep why?

jrg's gear list:jrg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrg, Apr 25, 2013

jrg wrote:

Quite steep why?

It is still a rumor, but the rumor is $999

If this price includes the 17mm 1.8 as a kit lens then I take it all back, the price is great.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
oeoek
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?

I would expect the $999 or something like that would be without the 17mm, perhaps with the 14-42. But sadly I would not be surprised if that would be body only. I hope the also rumoured new stick on EVF does not mean the old EVF's are no longer usable on the new Pen.

The price might be steep, but I would think the 16 mp EM-5 sensor alone is enough to make it worthwhile. And yes, it's a beauty if you like retro (I do).

oeoek's gear list:oeoek's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,284
Like?
In reply to oeoek, Apr 25, 2013

oeoek wrote:

I would expect the $999 or something like that would be without the 17mm, perhaps with the 14-42. But sadly I would not be surprised if that would be body only. I hope the also rumoured new stick on EVF does not mean the old EVF's are no longer usable on the new Pen.

The price might be steep, but I would think the 16 mp EM-5 sensor alone is enough to make it worthwhile. And yes, it's a beauty if you like retro (I do).

If they price it that high, there would be no reason to not just go ahead and buy the OMD..

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

jrg
jrg
Like?
In reply to herebefore, Apr 25, 2013

herebefore wrote:

If they price it that high, there would be no reason to not just go ahead and buy the OMD..

Good point!

Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
jrg
jrg
Like?
In reply to oeoek, Apr 25, 2013

oeoek wrote:

I hope the also rumoured new stick on EVF does not mean the old EVF's are no longer usable on the new Pen.

Oly's usually good about backward compatibility but these are my fears, too. A move like that would, IMO, kill sales.

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?

jrg wrote:

herebefore wrote:

Good point!

Yes, a good looking camera.  My wife has an E-PL2 and the optional evf lives on it.  With the evf on the E-PL2 makes it bigger than my E-M5.  I am going to get her a new camera for her late June birthday.  Without a built-in evf or atleast an optional evf that looks built-in and allows an external hotshoe flash then I will buy her the E-M5.  She does like mine.  I am guessing that the E-P5 and the upcoming E-PL6is going to take the new optional evf and that the older evf will not work.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,172
Like?
Re: Command dial around shutter button..

I see a command dial on the front, does it mean the dial around the 4 way controller is gone? I hope the virtical dial at the back is still there.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

jrg
jrg
Like?
Re: Command dial around shutter button..
In reply to digifan, Apr 25, 2013

digifan wrote:

I see a command dial on the front, does it mean the dial around the 4 way controller is gone? I hope the virtical dial at the back is still there.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

I would guess that the wheel dial has been removed and placed in the front there as you pointed out.  The vertical dial I would guess will stay.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,018Gear list
Like?

I'll wait and see in a couple of weeks how accurate the rumor is. Since it is so close, it’s not worth discussing.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Swamp Duck
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?

Acrill wrote:

jrg wrote:

Quite steep why?

It is still a rumor, but the rumor is $999

If this price includes the 17mm 1.8 as a kit lens then I take it all back, the price is great.

The article says the 17 1.8 is the kit lens for this body

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,018Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 25, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

I'll wait and see in a couple of weeks how accurate the rumor is. Since it is so close, it’s not worth discussing.

Actually, I'll go further. Very nice looking retro cam (designed without looking fake like the EM5) but if there's no built-in EVF it looks like it'll be good-bye Oly, it’s been nice to know you.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,912
Like?

jrg wrote:

oeoek wrote:

I hope the also rumoured new stick on EVF does not mean the old EVF's are no longer usable on the new Pen.

Oly's usually good about backward compatibility but these are my fears, too. A move like that would, IMO, kill sales.

I expect the new EVF to be incompatible with the older PEN's. But the older EVF's should be compatible with the newer bodies.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 25, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Actually, I'll go further. Very nice looking retro cam (designed without looking fake like the EM5) but if there's no built-in EVF it looks like it'll be good-bye Oly, it’s been nice to know you.

If it had and EVF I'd be on the preorder list as soon as it was available.  With no EVF the Fujifilm X-E1 is still in my shopping cart.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,749Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Apr 25, 2013

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

jrg wrote:

oeoek wrote:

I expect the new EVF to be incompatible with the older PEN's. But the older EVF's should be compatible with the newer bodies.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

The new EVF is probably the new Epson Ultimicron XGA (1024X768) 2.36MP unit that went into production Jan 22. I suspect that you are right about the earlier models of the Pen if for no other readon than the processing power needed. If they have piled on the processing power, it might also explain the AF claims.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Kschles
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

Hope the new EVF will be VF-2 quality with a locking mechanism. I have the VF-3 now for my EPL5. It's OK, but not great. Of course I also hope that any new EVF will be compatible with my EPL5.

-- hide signature --

Ken S

Kschles's gear list:Kschles's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
andyrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
In reply to ARB1, Apr 25, 2013

ARB1 wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

If it had and EVF I'd be on the preorder list as soon as it was available.  With no EVF the Fujifilm X-E1 is still in my shopping cart.

I wonder why Oly don't go for the built-in EVF like Nex6/7 or X-E1?

-- hide signature --
tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

Looking really good! Very curious about the lcd side!

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?

No built-in EVF!

Looks good but not exciting. It looks like an e-pl2 to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads