X100S - OVEREXPSURE WHEN SWITCHING CAMERA ON

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
rex oneill
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
X100S - OVEREXPSURE WHEN SWITCHING CAMERA ON
Apr 25, 2013

When i turn my camera on or press the shutter from sleep at a bright seen the image is majorly overexposed before settling down to correct exposure. i had a similar experience when using panasonic 17mm lens on ep2 body, apparently because the lens was faster than any olympus lens. my friend has a similar experience with his x100s. does anyone know the reason why... it's quite an annoying phenomenon and means i have missed several shots. otherwise i couldn't be happier. amazing camera and well worth the upgrade from the x100. thanks

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Olympus PEN E-P2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rex oneill
Like?
Re: X100S - OVEREXPSURE WHEN SWITCHING CAMERA ON
In reply to rex oneill, Apr 25, 2013

is this the aperture dance associated with the x100? i never experienced it on my x100. thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

Happens to me as well (on occasion) .  I just assumed it took time for the camera to adjust to the sudden blast of light.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
rex oneill
Like?
In reply to NachoYogi, Apr 25, 2013

seems to me that this shouldn't be happening. i've missed quite a few shots waiting for the exposure to "settle down". It also makes a very feint noise when it's occurring. thanks

NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

I haven't heard the noise, but I agree it shouldn't be happening.

It would be good to hear if this is happening to others.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
chartno3
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to NachoYogi, Apr 25, 2013

This happens to me too. Just figured it was another quirk to deal with

chartno3's gear list:chartno3's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
blulegend
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598
Like?
In reply to chartno3, Apr 25, 2013

Happens to me too. It takes a long time to settle down the exposure when the shutter first opens. It would seem like it could be optimized a bit better.
--
-Jack
==================
http://blupic.com/show

sdfreeland
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

I guess that would explain why I thought a lot of my pictures were overexposed last weekend initially after turning the camera on.  I noticed the camera was trying to set a super high ISO of 1600 even when it was super bright outside.  I was using manual f/2.8, shutter of 1/500 and auto ISO.

BurpeesAreHard
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?

rex oneill wrote:

seems to me that this shouldn't be happening. i've missed quite a few shots waiting for the exposure to "settle down". It also makes a very feint noise when it's occurring. thanks

What if you use the OVF and turn on OVF Power Save, so that the default state of the camera is for it to sit there with the shutter slammed shut. Do you find that to be therapeutic?

Of course, if you do this you lose your live histogram, you might see higher shutter actuation counts (due to the fact that the shutter has to open each time you half-press to meter a scene) and other things. Life has its tradeoffs. And there will still be some startup delay no matter what. I don't have the 's', though, so I can't test it.

Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
In reply to BurpeesAreHard, Apr 26, 2013

I don't know what it might be but because mine does not do that I'd tend to think that it may have to do with something in the setup configuration of each camera.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads